As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Job/Employment/Making Money thread.

12467100

Posts

  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yay. I am now an official deputy election registrar for the state. It was a 20 min training.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


    JoeUserThe BetgirlMorivethYukiraN1tSt4lkerRuby RhodSkeithDarth WaiterAnialosSlacker71Tofystedeth
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is actually an EA for some high-faluting jetsetter business person. The kind of business person who takes multiple month-long holidays to tropical islands a year, and she has to stay behind and manage the business affairs in their absence, although invariably as one of those never-away-from-work multi-millionaires she has to call them with updates and talk through issues and schedule vid-conferences most days they're away anyway.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Sadly, all that cool sounding title does is let me take voter applications at the library.

    Also someone called in sick tomorrow and I've gotten calls from at least two different staff members to ask if I'll work when I'm at work right now and they are at home.

    A) I do not want to work tomorrow, it is my one full day off every seven days.
    B) It is my birthday so I really don't want to work.
    C) If I work three more hours you have to give me healthcare.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    I'd say that, while the definition of 'engagement' is pretty vague, having a culture at work that is based around 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' can be detrimental to the morale of people who work hard and perform at a high level regardless of feedback. Certainly, you'll continue to perform at that level, but you might start to consider other options - it's less a problem now, but I've certainly had years where I've worked at a consistently high level, have been told 'you're working at a consistently high level' but due to factors outside of my control, was treated as though I'd just worked at an average level.

    Not saying it's 100% accurate, or even 100% perfectly written, but I do believe that rewarding excellence is something that should happen, as opposed to believing that high performers can be safely ignored because you'll get the same results no matter what you do.

    You can document "low engagement"

    You can't document "dumb/lazy/distracted slacker is generally not acute at work"

    GethDarth Waiter
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Interview tomorrow to sell either perfume or cosmetics, so I better look great and smell fabulous.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So apparently due to the WARN act even though my last day is May 10 (my letter says the 12th but I don't work weekends) I will be paid through June 17.

    That is Good News.

    BogeyStiltsThe BetgirlDidgeridooElbasunuN1tSt4lkerProbadFyndirAl_watRuby RhodSkeithDarth WaiterIloveslimesmightyjongyoAnialosHacksawtynicUsagiSassorigodmodelaughingfuzzballSlacker71skettiosSyphyrewebguy20KaplarNightDragonSCREECH OF THE FARG
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    NICE.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So my boss said something surprisingly in-touch today, with "if all we do is put out more updates for <our main products here>, we'll all go crazy with boredom, so hopefully we can bring in some other projects to work on". Just this morning as I was driving in I was thinking how boring work's been the last...well, couple of years really. All the interesting programming problems with my project were solved ages ago, and I'm looking at our schedule for the next year and it's just dullsville. We've got 100 bugs on our project list, about...two...are new features, and the rest are mostly just code-cleanup work that we'll probably never do and would never be noticed if we did. Four years is just too long to be chained to one piece of code.

    Scooter on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

    But that's an investment that would pay for itself! Think of what it could mean for Anya!

    Brolo on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

    But that's an investment that would pay for itself! Think of would it could mean for Anya!

    "Anya I know I'm still in debt, but I named a character in the new Jagged Alliance game after... Okay, well, after myself."

    YukiraRuby RhodfacetiousSkeithOrikaeshigitaeAnialosHacksawProlegomenagodmodeNeoTomaSlacker71Theodore FlooseveltOdinTofystedeth
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I had pictured you more of the statue type Mori. Something tasteful like this

    L4awVMq.jpg

    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    MorivethDarth WaiterBarcardi
  • MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So today, I got to climb inside one of these deals:

    DEqBG0t.jpg

    and also happened across the Prada Marfa:
    BPA5v0F.jpg

    MortalToaster on
    tynicTheClarksterskettiosTheodore Floosevelt
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    did you rain down fire from the skies and laugh manically

    Darth Waiter
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    so there is some water in the basement

    not a lot, but enough that one 6"x6" corner of the finished off carpet is pretty damp and will mold if not taken care of.

    There's been an unusual amount of snow and snow melt over the past couple days, but we haven't had a true storm yet thankfully

    there are of series of things i need to do to try and minimize any damage that might happen should a storm come upon us.


    this series of things is going to cost me an easy $5k and possibly up to $10k.


    i need to make some quick cash. I can make about an extra $2k a month ontop of my fulltime job if i decide to have 0 social life.

    but even that might not be quick enough.


    hrmm.

    Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Is pimping an option?

  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    unfortunately no

    i could sell my stream equipment at a discount, and that would get me a little over $1k extra.


    i could take that money and go to the casino maybe.



    22 black?

    Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    Is pimping an option?

    I know it ain't easy.

    Geth
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

    Get her on the phone with me for five minutes, I'll straighten her out,

    8406wWN.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

    Get her on the phone with me for five minutes, I'll straighten her out,

    "He just swore at me for five minutes, occasionally pausing to say JAGGED ALLIANCE!"

    FyndirDarth WaiterFishmanASimPersonNaphtalifacetiousKaplar
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Today was a crappy day at work.

    I am taking Thursday through Tuesday off so that I do not go crazy - I'm in a weird place where, due to my seniority and current career trajectory, I'm being placed in a position of pretty high responsibility. The downside to it, however, is that due to the way the role is set up, the only person who's really in a position to give me feedback is the Lead Designer, and during work hours he is absolutely swamped. And I do not like to talk about work when we're gaming in the evening because I do not like using my friendship with him for that sort of thing - work and personal life separation and all that.

    However it is difficult to know if I'm on track or if I need to do more/less when no one's really able to give me feedback. If I asked my direct supervisor what I did on any given day I do not think he'd be able to articulate it because it's rather outside of our usual wheelhouse.

    Ah, well. I need to learn to trust my instincts on this sort of thing and remember that, thus far, I haven't been screwed over or left in the cold. Still stressful, though.

    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

    Get her on the phone with me for five minutes, I'll straighten her out,

    "He just swore at me for five minutes, occasionally pausing to say JAGGED ALLIANCE!"

    Oh, you tried that already?

    I'm out of ideas,

    8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    vsove wrote: »
    Today was a crappy day at work.

    I am taking Thursday through Tuesday off so that I do not go crazy - I'm in a weird place where, due to my seniority and current career trajectory, I'm being placed in a position of pretty high responsibility. The downside to it, however, is that due to the way the role is set up, the only person who's really in a position to give me feedback is the Lead Designer, and during work hours he is absolutely swamped. And I do not like to talk about work when we're gaming in the evening because I do not like using my friendship with him for that sort of thing - work and personal life separation and all that.

    However it is difficult to know if I'm on track or if I need to do more/less when no one's really able to give me feedback. If I asked my direct supervisor what I did on any given day I do not think he'd be able to articulate it because it's rather outside of our usual wheelhouse.

    Ah, well. I need to learn to trust my instincts on this sort of thing and remember that, thus far, I haven't been screwed over or left in the cold. Still stressful, though.

    One thing I've learned is that if you're fucking up, you can always count on someone letting you know, but when shit is quiet that usually means you're doing fine,

    8406wWN.png
    Ruby RhodErin The RedSlacker71
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah! It's unfortunately going straight to pay off credit cards, though. But hey, better than nothing.

    Try as I might I could not convince Rachel that it'd be fine to just put the whole in for the Jagged Alliance kickstarter.

    Get her on the phone with me for five minutes, I'll straighten her out,

    "He just swore at me for five minutes, occasionally pausing to say JAGGED ALLIANCE!"

    Oh, you tried that already?

    I'm out of ideas,

    Mori, have you tried a strip-tease yet?

    I hear the ladies are all over that Magic Mike guy; all you need is a good supply of razors, Neosporin, Band-Aids and a stage-name, something studly, like Dirk or Rod.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    How about... Dirk Roddirk?

  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    Hey, what the fuck is the deal with facebook pages the last few days? It feels like Facebook completely overhauled their impression algorithm.

  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    vsove wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with the premise of the article. I just don't really understand what they're measuring when they talk about 'engagement'. Participation? getting noticed? day-to-day enjoyment? some combo of all of that?

    Engagement, as it has oft been explained to me, basically means that you look at work as less of an obligation and more of something you're interested in and actually look forward to doing. You care about the products you're building and you're more likely to think about it outside of working hours.

    It also has to do with feeling like your work values you and your contributions - the sense of two-way loyalty, where you're loyal to your company because they feel loyal to you. Whether or not that's true, of course, varies from situation to situation, but at the very least you feel like it's true.

    It's a vague, HR'ish term.

    I would summarise it as bullshit artists do fuck all work.

    Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    tynic
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    How about... Dirk Roddirk?

    Nah, too much like Dick Richards.

    Gotta class it up a little:

    -Dirk Steele

    -Rod Powers

    -Plus Nine Longsword

    StaleFishmanHacksawErin The RedN1tSt4lkergodmodeMadEddyOdin
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Johnson Schwollenpecker

    Darth WaiterSlacker71Odin
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    so there is some water in the basement

    not a lot, but enough that one 6"x6" corner of the finished off carpet is pretty damp and will mold if not taken care of.

    There's been an unusual amount of snow and snow melt over the past couple days, but we haven't had a true storm yet thankfully

    there are of series of things i need to do to try and minimize any damage that might happen should a storm come upon us.


    this series of things is going to cost me an easy $5k and possibly up to $10k.


    i need to make some quick cash. I can make about an extra $2k a month ontop of my fulltime job if i decide to have 0 social life.

    but even that might not be quick enough.


    hrmm.

    definitely get one of those big blue industrial/work site fan things for starters

    do you have a finished basement or a basement basement

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Today was a crappy day at work.

    I am taking Thursday through Tuesday off so that I do not go crazy - I'm in a weird place where, due to my seniority and current career trajectory, I'm being placed in a position of pretty high responsibility. The downside to it, however, is that due to the way the role is set up, the only person who's really in a position to give me feedback is the Lead Designer, and during work hours he is absolutely swamped. And I do not like to talk about work when we're gaming in the evening because I do not like using my friendship with him for that sort of thing - work and personal life separation and all that.

    However it is difficult to know if I'm on track or if I need to do more/less when no one's really able to give me feedback. If I asked my direct supervisor what I did on any given day I do not think he'd be able to articulate it because it's rather outside of our usual wheelhouse.

    Ah, well. I need to learn to trust my instincts on this sort of thing and remember that, thus far, I haven't been screwed over or left in the cold. Still stressful, though.

    One thing I've learned is that if you're fucking up, you can always count on someone letting you know, but when shit is quiet that usually means you're doing fine,

    See, I would disagree with this. When you fuck up in spectacular fashion sure, or when you have a proactive manager capable of having tough decisions. You may well be fucking up but quite often it is not directly raised because your manager/senior team members don't really want to have those tough decisions.

    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    tynicKaplar
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I've told this story before, so I'll abbreviate it.

    I used to work in a restaurant where there was a lot of downtime between shifts, so we invented a game where we created porn names for co-workers. The one rule was that you couldn't give yourself a name, someone else had to create it. After that, it was just a matter of votes yay or nay.

    I came up with such wonders as:

    -Jimmy Longstaff for my buddy Sean who was half-Hawaiian and half-English

    -Hershey Bustanutt for my buddy Danny who was half-black and half-white

    -Marcy Beecups for our one waitress of French origin

    -Suacy Tang for our Vietnamese hostess

    -Harry Crackenass for Harvey The Perpetually Stoned Waiter

    -John Splittenmuff for the viking-brick-wall-server, Mike, just because he looked like he would hurt a woman from the unsheathing of his girth

    To this day, I wonder why I've never been the recipient of a sexual-harassment lawsuit. Perhaps it was all a matter of timing.

    HacksawSlacker71
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just over two months at this job. getting stress/anxiety chest pains because yes, it is that bad. four more to go before i can start applying for jobs.

  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    a part broke on my car and now I am using my mom's car until I can get this one towed and fixed

    it can't get towed until thursday and then...I don't know when it'll get fixed? hoooooooraaaaaaaay

  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2013
    and then I tried to buy a shake because I was cranky but my debit card got declined and my bank's website is down or something so I can't figure out why

    on the plus side I discovered five kit kat bars in my laptop bag and then ate them

    DJ Eebs on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with the premise of the article. I just don't really understand what they're measuring when they talk about 'engagement'. Participation? getting noticed? day-to-day enjoyment? some combo of all of that?

    Engagement, as it has oft been explained to me, basically means that you look at work as less of an obligation and more of something you're interested in and actually look forward to doing. You care about the products you're building and you're more likely to think about it outside of working hours.

    It also has to do with feeling like your work values you and your contributions - the sense of two-way loyalty, where you're loyal to your company because they feel loyal to you. Whether or not that's true, of course, varies from situation to situation, but at the very least you feel like it's true.

    It's a vague, HR'ish term.

    I would summarise it as bullshit artists do fuck all work.

    To expand on this, if you as a manager are shocked that the people you think are really hardworking and enthusiastic are in actuality your worst employees then you aren't doing your job well.

    As a manager, one of your key tasks is providing tasks for your subordinates that are measurable. The metrics for this are obviously going to differ depending on what industry you work in, but it ususally boils down to completing x task by y date.

    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    It's always kind of odd when your team at work loses a guy who is really, really, good.

    I am racking my brain trying to figure out we're going to replace the guy. We're already short staffed, losing this dude is more akin to losing 2-3 people.

  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    just over two months at this job. getting stress/anxiety chest pains because yes, it is that bad. four more to go before i can start applying for jobs.

    What are the issues? Are they asking too much of your time?

  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    so there is some water in the basement

    not a lot, but enough that one 6"x6" corner of the finished off carpet is pretty damp and will mold if not taken care of.

    There's been an unusual amount of snow and snow melt over the past couple days, but we haven't had a true storm yet thankfully

    there are of series of things i need to do to try and minimize any damage that might happen should a storm come upon us.


    this series of things is going to cost me an easy $5k and possibly up to $10k.


    i need to make some quick cash. I can make about an extra $2k a month ontop of my fulltime job if i decide to have 0 social life.

    but even that might not be quick enough.


    hrmm.

    definitely get one of those big blue industrial/work site fan things for starters

    do you have a finished basement or a basement basement

    Finished :(

    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    so there is some water in the basement

    not a lot, but enough that one 6"x6" corner of the finished off carpet is pretty damp and will mold if not taken care of.

    There's been an unusual amount of snow and snow melt over the past couple days, but we haven't had a true storm yet thankfully

    there are of series of things i need to do to try and minimize any damage that might happen should a storm come upon us.


    this series of things is going to cost me an easy $5k and possibly up to $10k.


    i need to make some quick cash. I can make about an extra $2k a month ontop of my fulltime job if i decide to have 0 social life.

    but even that might not be quick enough.


    hrmm.

    definitely get one of those big blue industrial/work site fan things for starters

    do you have a finished basement or a basement basement

    Finished :(

    oh jeeze, well grinning and bearing it isn't really an option then

    what kind of problems are you looking at? sizeable holes? crappy old basement windows? you in some kind flood zone and water is just straight up coming through the walls?

    2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.