As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Job/Employment/Making Money thread.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ha ha working at a newspaper

ha... ha...
    well actually writing is probably a good deal more stable than production

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    And he is out of here.

Hoooray!

Dead LegendElbasunuDarth WaitertynicgodmodeKaplarJoeUserVegemyteErin The RedSlacker71TofystedethFishmanNeoTomaStranger DangerJaysonFour
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

ha... ha...

I think writing is only stable once you get into the field. Which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

ha... ha...

I think writing is only stable once you get into the field. Which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

Still, at least it has the possibility of being stable. I don't think my job would ever feel safe if I continued on in production.

ha... ha...

Still, at least it has the possibility of being stable. I don't think my job would ever feel safe if I continued on in production.

Is this production like, skilled labor production? Or production like digital goods/web stuff production?

ha... ha...

Is this production like, skilled labor production? Or production like digital goods/web stuff production?

Skilled labor, I guess? I'm a platemaker, which at this point just means "I know how to operate the machines that actually make all the plates."

It's very automated these days. Though when I started we were using negatives and light tables to burn the image on the plate. That was kinda neat.

ha... ha...

Skilled labor, I guess? I'm a platemaker, which at this point just means "I know how to operate the machines that actually make all the plates."

It's very automated these days. Though when I started we were using negatives and light tables to burn the image on the plate. That was kinda neat.

Oh, ok. I know exactly what you mean.

I spent five years as a craftsman for a boat place. I built rudders and plastic bits for aftermarket stuff to go on sailboats. Lots of nautical knowledge and craft knowledge required, tig & mig, injection molding, CNC routers, all that jazz.

After five years I could build the entire company catalog with my eyes closed in less time than the guy who founded the company.

Then the recession hit and I was the first to get laid off. Since then I've worked half a dozen jobs like that. Every time, I either quit out of sheer exasperation at the company, or was laid off due to financial hardship. The skilled labor/production/machinist field is four hundred kinds of fucked. Zero security, it's hard to find a new job in that field (everyone wants you trained on something else, or trained another way), and you're paid dog shit for the risk and physical toll those jobs can take on you.

I once worked two months sand blasting logo's into bricks for $9.00/Hr. Got laid off because a previous employee wanted to come back, and I was his replacement.

• ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    Where the hell do waiters make 27 bucks an hour?

Yeah for real

My employer pays me 2.63/hr.

Let's take this past Saturday. I made $350 from 3 PM - 1 AM. That's 10 hours at 35 bucks an hour.

I work at a fairly upscale place in Massachusetts, but I'm good at my job so I've been rewarded with the most lucrative shifts.

On the downside, that means I work Thursday-Monday.

X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319

ha... ha...

Oh, ok. I know exactly what you mean.

I spent five years as a craftsman for a boat place. I built rudders and plastic bits for aftermarket stuff to go on sailboats. Lots of nautical knowledge and craft knowledge required, tig & mig, injection molding, CNC routers, all that jazz.

After five years I could build the entire company catalog with my eyes closed in less time than the guy who founded the company.

Then the recession hit and I was the first to get laid off. Since then I've worked half a dozen jobs like that. Every time, I either quit out of sheer exasperation at the company, or was laid off due to financial hardship. The skilled labor/production/machinist field is four hundred kinds of fucked. Zero security, it's hard to find a new job in that field (everyone wants you trained on something else, or trained another way), and you're paid dog shit for the risk and physical toll those jobs can take on you.

I once worked two months sand blasting logo's into bricks for $9.00/Hr. Got laid off because a previous employee wanted to come back, and I was his replacement.

Shit. Yeah, the newspaper production industry is shrinking, and this company has a last in/first out policy for layoffs. So I feel like if I went to the new location and got comfy there I'd just be out of a job AGAIN and then I'd be back at square one. I'd rather wash my hands of it completely and get into something that's somewhat reliable.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Anon, out of curiosity where do you live?

Usagi wrote: »

Idaho.

Want to give me a job? I love jobs.

Give me a job.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It feels weird whenever I see people in this thread talk about "don't badmouth your previous employer", as I've always been encouraged to talk shit about bad employers in my line of work by the old timers who've been here a while.

Of course, as a tradesman, and a member of a union, fidelity to your brothers and sisters is considered more important than loyalty to exploitative managers. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

• Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Well in a job interview, the second you talk shit about a previous boss, the people interviewing you are going to assume you're a problem child and will do the same to them.

Al_watN1tSt4lker
    Yeah, job interviews in my field aren't like that. It's usually a test of how deep your well of knowledge is. Sometimes they make you do a demonstration.

It's also not a white collar profession at all. So that may be why.

Ruby Rhod
    Also my line of work usually comes down to labor vs. management disputes, so managers are not held in high regard. Especially when they try to renege on previous agreements with our local/international, or attempt to push people to do things they know to be unsafe because they're squeezed for time due to their own incompetent mismanagement.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Ugh, any other folks out there that work in healthcare seeing cuts/layoffs galore? Our CEO just sent out a hideously vague letter to all hospital employees hinting at future "restructuring" and "flexible and dynamic staffing" whatever the eff that means. So much for job security /sigh

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »
    Ugh, any other folks out there that work in healthcare seeing cuts/layoffs galore? Our CEO just sent out a hideously vague letter to all hospital employees hinting at future "restructuring" and "flexible and dynamic staffing" whatever the eff that means. So much for job security /sigh

thanks obama

Anon the FelonMorivethHacksawNeoToma
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Idaho.

Give me a job.

Pretty sure bits and her brother are in Idaho. Maybe they know someone.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Skeith wrote: »

Idaho.

Give me a job.

Pretty sure bits and her brother are in Idaho. Maybe they know someone.

Who's bits?

I suddenly feel like I need to be friends with bits.

I recommend moving to Seattle or Portland. Big maritime cities, they are.

Usagi
    bits is @bowtiedseal

also I just realized that on my last day in addition to being paid for the final five weeks I'll also get paid for that week too

so that's a neat bonus

that all should be enough to pay off my credit card, I think

YukiraN1tSt4lkerQuantumTurk
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I'm afraid of internet people

Ruby RhodASimPersonSassoriNaphtaliSlacker71Tofystedeth
    edited April 2013
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Cost of living is so much higher in either of those cities. Plus my wife has a good job here.

I also have no interest in going back to boat work.

Anon the Felon on

This is hilariously backwards from how you'd think it would actually be.

I'm sorry bits! I didn't mean to scare you!

SkeithSlacker71

Cost of living is so much higher in either of those cities. Plus my wife has a good job here.

I also have no interest in going back to boost work.

Fair enough. You're a braver man than I for living in Idaho, though. It was bad enough when I was employed by a guy who was an Idaho native.

/creepershivers

Haha it's ok! I am an internet person too

Haha it's ok! I am an internet person too

Does that mean you're afraid of yourself?

bowtiedsealNaphtali

Fair enough. You're a braver man than I for living in Idaho, though. It was bad enough when I was employed by a guy who was an Idaho native.

/creepershivers

hey my dad and grandpa are Idaho natives and they're awesome!!

I am hella from NorCal.

HacksawTef

/creepershivers

hey my dad and grandpa are Idaho natives and they're awesome!!

[Citation Needed]

My dad is a great person who always thinks the best of everyone and does science things for his job and is basically the best dad ever

My grandpa died last year next month and thinking about how wonderful he was makes me cry

FEF80907-D380-4C65-B258-880F44F051E9-33681-00000F571D7C35CD_zps129f0ed4.jpg

He was a World War II vet, the smartest and funniest man I've ever known, and a staunch democrat who wrote weekly letters to the Idaho statesman that were always published.

MorivethRuby RhodSkeithHacksawTefKaplarErin The RedElbasunuMadEddySlacker71Edith UpwardsJaysonFourStranger Danger
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular

This is hilariously backwards from how you'd think it would actually be.

Increases in certain areas, likely to be decreases in others.. the end result is a net gain, but I'm sure there are some areas that will be negatively affected by the changes

My grandpa also played and enjoyed real time strategy games like command and conquer, and was sort of the patriarch of an online message board for recovering alcoholics (he'd been sober since the 60s). They sent a lot of nice emails after he passed away, and they sent flowers to my grandmother.

SkeithMr. ButtonsTefUsagiErin The RedElbasunuMadEddySyphyreYukiraTofystedethDarth WaiterEdith UpwardsJaysonFourStranger Danger
    My grandpa also played and enjoyed real time strategy games like command and conquer, and was sort of the patriarch of an online message board for recovering alcoholics (he'd been sober since the 60s). They sent a lot of nice emails after he passed away, and they sent flowers to my grandmother.

Okay that's pretty fucking awesome just by itself.

N1tSt4lkerElbasunuSlacker71Darth WaiterEdith UpwardsJaysonFour
    Now I'm tempted to start a thread about awesome grandparents!

tynicSlacker71Edith Upwards
    edited April 2013

I am hella from NorCal.

This explains everything.

Anon the Felon on
    How so?

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At the end of the day, I'm pleasantly stoned and I have an interview lined up for Monday.

Feelin' fine.

AvrahamRuby RhodSkeithtynicMetalbourneSlacker71Edith Upwards
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Fuckin

owned

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
This discussion has been closed.