As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Job/Employment/Making Money thread.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    So I got a 3 week contract at a place. It's fine and stuff and in the U-District which is nice, but my commute is shit. If I had a car it wouldn't be a problem but I don't.

Oh also I gotta move again.

Anyone in the Seattle area looking for a roomie?

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Anon, where in Idaho? I may actually have some contacts for jobs.

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Man, I'm just going to rant about someone else's job real quick.

Spoilering this, as it's a bit of a rant and fairly mean spirited, but I need to tell someone, so why not the jobs thread?
    I am so sick of this person on my friendslist spamming facebook with her Mary Kay products. Constantly. I have seen several young college girls that I know get suckered into this stupid bullshit and constantly fucking pester people with it. Just constant fucking "Oh, I am so close to meeting my goal!" "Oh, I can set up a party for you to buy things from me!" "Oh, this is going to be my new career!" I bloody fucking hope it isn't, so I don't have to hear this shit over and over. It's like she joined the bottom of a pyramid scheme and thinks it is her future.

If you constantly have to bug the shit out of your friends, I don't think you are going for a great long-term plan.

Yeah, I've hidden her for the time being.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ugh guys I have one of those "where do you see yourself in 3 years?" questions on this application form. I never know how to answer these. Help?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    smof wrote: »
    Ugh guys I have one of those "where do you see yourself in 3 years?" questions on this application form. I never know how to answer these. Help?

It's just a "do you have ambition?" and "have you done research about the company?" question.

So, find out what is two grades higher than the position you're applying for and describe it in general terms that just so happen to reflect exactly what it is.

Or go for broke with a "in a position where I no longer have to deal with this type of timewasting bullshit".

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    KaplarErin The RedBeastehSlacker71AnialosDarth Waiter
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Depends.

Where do you see yourself in 3 years?

broken image link
    Seriously though, it depends what the position is. got a few more details?

broken image link
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    That has always sounded like code for if you want to work your way up in the company or not, to me.

If you want to be there for a while, make it sound like you envision yourself in a higher position, and that's probably all you need to consider.

"I want your job. Look out."

broken image link
    Anon the FelonDarth Waiter
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Although I did once overhear a conversation where somebody wasn't offered a job for being too ambitious. Now I don't know if that means they went with a "doing your job, but doing it better" or if they really did want somebody with no career aspirations.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

"Being your boss"? Honestly, I hate those too.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Seriously though, it depends what the position is. got a few more details?

It's a "ranger" job at the zoo. Basically leading talks and guided walkthroughs, talking about animals and lots of public facing stuff. Doing shows and things, also helping design features around the zoo.

Ideally in future I would love to be in more of an animal keeper role. But I always stress about answering one of those Q's by saying "well hopefully I won't be in this role any more."

I mean I would definitely still want to be at the zoo in 3 years. No question about that.

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Although I did once overhear a conversation where somebody wasn't offered a job for being too ambitious. Now I don't know if that means they went with a "doing your job, but doing it better" or if they really did want somebody with no career aspirations.

It's entirely possible it was a job that a mindless lackey with no real goals would be best for. It's rare to find management that'll admit that, but people who are satisfied with drudge work tend to be a better fit for drudge work than people who need more stimulation.

It seems more likely, though, that the guy just way overshot what was even remotely realistic, like applied for a paralegal position, said he expected to make partner. Something like that. That would suggest either a complete mis-estimation of the potential for advancement, which is likely to lead to poor job satisfaction, which tends to lead to poor performance, or that the guy was just an entitled asshole who expected to be handed a high-paying job just for showing up for a couple years.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Jesus fucking Christ shut the fuck up, coworker

It's five in the god damn morning no one wants to hear about your stupid fucking grandkid

Shut up, go sit down at your desk, and don't fucking talk until its not ungodly early, and when you do talk say something that anyone else might conceivably give a shit about

Oh, what am I doing on my phone? I'm complaining about you

NaphtaliN1tSt4lkermightyjongyoBeastehAnon the FelonSkeithRuby RhodSlacker71TofystedethAnialosDarth WaiterJaysonFourStranger Danger
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh my GOD I am so sick of allergy-dude behind me sniffing, sneezing and blowing his way through the day.

It's butts because allergies suck so I shouldn't be mad at him, but it's gross and loud and incessant, and if I'm on the phone I have a choice between the workshop floor and my office and lately the workshop has been quieter.

I really want to just gift him a bunch of zyrtex but for all I know he's already taken an assload of meds and this is the best it gets? in which case it'd be a passive aggressive jerk move. I should just ask him at lunch what he does about his allergies I guess.

god it shits me though.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    At a place I used to work at, somebody actually answered the 3-year question with "teaching yoga".
    The job was for a chemist position in a laboratory.
    Sad thing is, they almost got the job because the place was very bad about hiring friends over skilled workers.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Anything you need clients? No? I'm going to be out of the office tomorrow.

Oh you all need something the day I'm gone? What are the odds.

What.

Are.

The.

Odds.

GethKaplarB_RNaphtaliElbasunuErin The RedBeastehJayKaosAeytherSkeithSlacker71TofystedethAnialosFishmanDarth WaiterSalJaysonFourStranger Danger
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    So I got a 3 week contract at a place. It's fine and stuff and in the U-District which is nice, but my commute is shit. If I had a car it wouldn't be a problem but I don't.

Oh also I gotta move again.

Anyone in the Seattle area looking for a roomie?

@Thanatos might still be looking.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Just make sure you're not a cop though.

He might check you daily for a wire.

Speed RacerNaphtaliButters
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Didn't than get banned?

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

"Inside of you."

godmodeSpeed RacerAnon the FelonAnialosDarth Waiter
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    oh my GOD I am so sick of allergy-dude behind me sniffing, sneezing and blowing his way through the day.

It's butts because allergies suck so I shouldn't be mad at him, but it's gross and loud and incessant, and if I'm on the phone I have a choice between the workshop floor and my office and lately the workshop has been quieter.

I really want to just gift him a bunch of zyrtex but for all I know he's already taken an assload of meds and this is the best it gets? in which case it'd be a passive aggressive jerk move. I should just ask him at lunch what he does about his allergies I guess.

god it shits me though.

Sorry : (

I'm taking as many antihistamines as I can within allowances to keep this under control but my hay fever is making shit suck and me unproductive.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm just sleeping poorly or what...

But I am so exhausted. I feel like my brain has been shut off.

Sassori wrote: »

Shoot more kids with nerf guns.

N1tSt4lkerSlacker71Darth Waiter
    Even the thought of aiming a nerf gun at someone just sounds like so much work...

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

I've been the same all week.

It doesn't help that work has been incredibly slow this week as we wait for a new design basis so I basically just stare at my inbox all day while nothing comes in.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Text exchanges Hacksaw's work friends who need you do to them a favor, volume 1:

Them: "Just a heads up: the cops may hassle you on the Friday thing."
    Me: "Pffft. I'm white. They won't hassle me."
    Them: "No seriously they might try to get up in your face and stuff."
    Me: "What? Why? Because it'll be at night and we'll be wearing black?"
    Them: "Because of the anarchists."
    Me: "The WHAT?!?"
    Them: "Yeah, this is for [Local Anarchist Collective]."
    Me: "Are you fucking kidding me?!"
    Them: "They're cool people! Besides, they all wear black too, so you'll probably blend right in. No need to worry. Also most of them drive black cars and stuff so your van will blend in too."

MysstDarth Waiter
    If I wind up in Federal prison, burn my stuff.

Darth Waiter
  • Small Time CrookedSmall Time Crooked Post Malone's Hairdresser Des Plaines, ILRegistered User regular
    Told my boss I'm resigning and transferring to another company about a week and a half ago.
    His solution was to remove my days off, increase my workload, and then leave me understaffed for the duration of my employment.
    It almost feels like I'm being trolled.

On the bright side; I've got a new chef's coat coming in the mail tomorrow. Whoo!

Darth Waiter
    edited April 2013
    Job application in. Ugh. I think I did mostly okay, except one question was really hard and I know my answer was kind of lame. And my answer to the 3 year question was vague but at least it was honest. A couple of the other questions I feel pretty good about.

The position has only been advertised internally so far so with luck there won't be many applications and I will at least get an interview. Then I guess it's just a case of showing that I am so super enthusiastic oh my god that they overlook my minimal experience.

God I want this job.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited April 2013
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Text exchanges Hacksaw's work friends who need you do to them a favor, volume 1:

Them: "They're cool people! Besides, they all wear black too, so you'll probably blend right in. No need to worry. Also most of them drive black cars and stuff so your van will blend in too."

I have no idea what the fuck is going on here.

Kaplar on
    Erin The RedRuby RhodBeastehJaysonFour
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Think I may have just gotten the weekly HR group lunches officially named "Snitches Get 'Wiches".

I think I should take the rest of the day off.

MadEddyLuvTheMonkeySassorirhylithUsagiJoeUserOrikaeshigitaeButtersErin The RedKwoaruProbadAeytherSkeithSlacker71IloveslimesTofystedethAnialosFishmanDarth WaiterskettiosVegemyteJaysonFourStranger Danger
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Job application in. Ugh. I think I did mostly okay, except one question was really hard and I know my answer was kind of lame. And my answer to the 3 year question was vague but at least it was honest. A couple of the other questions I feel pretty good about.

The position has only been advertised internally so far so with luck there won't be many applications and I will at least get an interview. Then I guess it's just a case of showing that I am so super enthusiastic oh my god that they overlook my minimal experience.

God I want this job.

Good luck smof though I'm sure you don't actually need it.

Kaplar wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I have no idea what the fuck is going on here.

Neither do I.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Being involved with anarchists doesn't instantly mean you'll get arrested, guy. I ended up working the door at the NYC Anarchists' Book Fair a few weeks back and nothing bad came of it.

That event was exactly as well organized as you'd expect.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    tynicMadEddyErin The RedVegemyte
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    This is only vaguely job related, but I'm tired of my apartment getting constantly inspected. I know they are trying to sell this dump, but I've had a hard time keeping up with cleaning the apartment. I work 6 days a week now and the last thing I want to do after hours of doing dishes is come home and do more dishes. Yes all of my dishes are dirty and in the sink and on the counter. I don't care. I'm tired. Just check my smoke detector and go away.

NYC hasn't had a crackdown on Anarchists and People Who Are Friends of Anarchists like Seattle has.

Here's a good story on it.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yesterday we had an all day training event that was kind of silly, they had some guy come in and tell us about effective communication and communication types
    i guess it was kind of interesting, but i don't know it was that well run, but at least good things to think about, and a day of not actual work

and then afterwards we had a dave and busters event with free booze, which was fun, yay drinking

we won a giant banana

dave and buster's does not have any fighting or side scrolly punchy games tho >:0

poo
    Erin The Red
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hey so listen

If you're at a meeting, especially when you're one of a hundred people at a technical presentation, turn your phone ringer to vibrate

Or at least have your ring not be a chicken squawk

This PSA brought to you by my morning

Slacker71TefDarth Waiter
    Ugh. I've been having a major funk about work stuff lately.

Do not know where I want to go from here.

This discussion has been closed.