The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #5

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Elimination #5

The end of day 5 sees two of the strongest competitors vying to survive elimination.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Psycho_PenguinPsycho_Penguin Registered User regular
    Yay! Great episode, these eliminations are just becoming more and more tense as artists are eliminated. I shouldn't have stayed up all night waiting for this one but I couldn't help myself.

A Concerned CitizenKnightmare
  • Evil_MonkeysEvil_Monkeys Registered User regular
    Daaaaamn! This episode was amazing!!!! Maki's comic was amazing. Amy was amazing to listen to and really made me respect her as a competitor. And Monica's reaction when Maki came back in the door was so heart warming. Loving this show so much!

A Concerned CitizenKnightmareemarecksaykay
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    Knew Amy was going to lose when I saw it being just a dialogue tree between two human characters. That said, funniest elimination yet and Amy has another shot at the gold if Erika is honest about what she would do with the prize.

A Concerned CitizenKnightmareIntangible 360emarecksaykay
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    Urgh, can't believe the redraw ticket is just the ability to pick another random element? How is that a prize?

Good on Maki, his strip was a neat little joke, they seemed spot on about Amy shoe-horning the topics into a joke that was already formed in her head.

A Concerned CitizenKnightmareduddlesflamesonfireSpman2099emarecksaykay
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    This was by far my favorite elimination, I was hoping that Amy would pull it but still... the way she appeared in this episode was quite real and honest and kinda made up for it. Oddly Great Personality.

wn.mike on
    A Concerned CitizenCambiataemarecksaykay
  • Nova1619Nova1619 Registered User regular
    Nooooooo! Amyyyyy!! D:

Did anyone else see how sad Erika was when Maki walked in?

escape908Sandra Snanthere'saforum?KoopahTroopahgodmodeflamesonfireIntangible 360Spman2099OckhamsFollyMKF36EvidfraggyTheSpyderCambiatajdarksun
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    awww. Maki's comic was actual LOL, I thought. Although they were right in that it would also work better without the dialogue - thing is though it worked with it too. they made the right decision.

Bless Amy, this is the best side of her we've seen yet - kudos for being so gracious and charming and showing what a cool person she really is.

A Concerned CitizenShpydarfraggyCambiataemarecksaykayjdarksun
  • A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Loved the episode, both comics were awesome but Maki definitely executed the ideas better. I have mixed feelings about their critique as I thought all the text of his strip worked fantastically. I do agree it works without the other two panels text as well, but as for which Is better I find both versions equally funny.

A Concerned Citizen on
    kscullyKnightmareemarecksaykayBucho
  • BenevolentCowBenevolentCow Registered User regular
    Meh, connection to the topics hasn't mattered at all in previous eliminations. Tavis' strip has as little to do with circuses and areolas as Amy's does with mermaids and ukuleles, yet they chose that over Lexxy's.

spillfishInkstain82fraggyTheSpyder
  • EireJackEireJack Registered User regular
    FUCK EVERYTHING ((TableFlip)) Maki's Comic is a visual joke that yes incorporates the elements but at best gives me a meh. Amy's comic made me laugh outloud. I've read both their comics outside of this competition and Maki's horrible smugness comes through in every "Science" comic. Amy's stuff is a little self deprecating but funny and the Pretty Shorts are AWESOME.

fraggy
  • El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Welp, I guess that answers the Redraw ticket. I guess they thought Survivor-style immunity was too lame/derivative? I dunno, it just feels like an anti-climax after 15 episodes of "...a Redraw ticket! What's that for, you ask? You'll find out later *wink*"

It's hard to compare getting a free Cintiq/Intuos, to you and your opponent getting a new strip topic.

As for the comics themselves, Jerry was spot on. Maki's comic works so much better without text in the second and third panels. Seeing the in-progress shots of him drawing the line art, I cracked up laughing when I saw the flying V.

I enjoy watching Amy on the show much more than Maki, her personality and candour are really refreshing, so it's sad to see her go. However Maki really did use the themes better and come up with a great comic, rather than a pre-prepared bit.

I'm glad Amy gets to walk away with some mad merch profits and an Intuos. I'll definitely be following her work from now on.
    Nova1619 wrote: »
    Nooooooo! Amyyyyy!! D:

Did anyone else see how sad Erika was when Maki walked in?

I'm increasingly amused by how much of an Erika superfan Amy is, and how much Erika genuinely likes her. Their relationship has been great to watch.

emarecksaykay
  • Nova1619Nova1619 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Meh, connection to the topics hasn't mattered at all in previous eliminations. Tavis' strip has as little to do with circuses and areolas as Amy's does with mermaids and ukuleles, yet they chose that over Lexxy's.

Tavis' had more to do with circuses and areolas than Amy's had to do with mermaids, though it seems like the requirements from the artists aren't set in stone and can shift between challenges.

It honestly feels like they just pick whichever comic they like the best, and then come up with reasons why it should win, rather than dissecting it like Robert did with the merch tables.

edit: They can do whatever they want, it's their show and their money. It'd just be nicer if their requirements were explicitly stated so there isn't as much ambiguity.

When I saw Gabe's reaction to Amy's comic I knew immediately that she was eliminated.

edit: now that I think about it, he wasn't happy that the mermaids and ukeles weren't visually represented in Amy's comic, even though he didn't say anything about no circuses in Tavis' comic.

Nova1619 on
    emarecksaykay
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Maki's comic made me laugh out loud- I reread the strip with different variations on cutting the dialogue, and I think it could work any way. I loved the style of art he used for it also- he seemed to hit the ground running working on it.

Amy's didn't really reach me- it honestly felt kind of uncreative with the topics shoe-horned in. She seemed really pumped up at the end after elimination which is really awesome for her, and hopefully boosts her drive to keep making art!

kscullyWeaselsoupJacenDarkriderduddlesShpydartapeslingerBreakerCoreemarecksaykayXeavndarklite_x
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    That was solid. Sad to see Amy go.

fraggy
  • mbnmacmbnmac Registered User regular
    I'm glad they chose Maki, Amy's strip didn't connect with me at all. It's nice to finally see her not 'playing the game' to the camera, but I can't say you'd see the real me in that situation either.

My friend has decided that once he gets his Wii, he's gonna gut his GC and use it as a lunchbox.
    TetrisDS; 1133-2701-0503
    MK:DS; 2620-5321-6904
    MP;H:1375-0787-2051
    Knightmareduddlesfraggyemarecksaykay
  • KhaymanKhayman Registered User regular
    Another good ep

I agree with others that the redraw ticket is such a lame prize, as demonstrated by the fact that he didn't use it (it offers no advantage, you could get a worse one!)

I thought they were right in their choice, but I will be sad to see Amy go. She was defiantly one of the most interesting people there.

I thought Maki's strip was giggle worthy but actually would have been better with just the last panel text not the first panel

Spman2099fraggyemarecksaykay
  • arnifixarnifix Registered User new member
    Maki really did rock it here. As much as I loved Amy as a contestant, Maki delivered far better in terms of art and concept. \

I only wish we saw more of the contestants interacting at the house. We only really see them in terms of their actions during a competition. I would watch an hour of them just goofing off, doodling and chatting.

Knightmaretynanaideenescape908KoopahTroopahWarribsduddlesfullofgracefraggytapeslingerCambiataemarecksaykaySpiritfireBuchoXeavn
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    "...Jerry's drinking my comic"

I think that's better than 'Butt Virginity'

tynanaideenmakitorispillfishKoopahTroopahWarribsIntangible 360ShpydarkedinikxThanatoSxfraggyCambiatagavindelemarecksaykay
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I enjoyed Amy as a contestant on the show, but Maki really shined in the elimination stage in a way that Amy did not. That was a pretty clear cut choice.

86diUMN.png5OEMupX.png
    Dark Raven XspillfishWarribsElbasunududdlesIntangible 360mageormikeShpydarenderandrewvidfraggyCambiataemarecksaykay
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    kscully wrote: »
    Urgh, can't believe the redraw ticket is just the ability to pick another random element? How is that a prize?

What else could it possibly have been and still have the game be fair?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I was wrong about the over-thinking comment being applied to Amy. which, d'oh, of course they teased that to make you think it was going to be about her.

interesting they called her out on that terrible skateboard design too. Still, she really lucked out winning the first challenge, as that one had a prize worth money and reputation attached to it as well as the choice of who to send for elimination. None of the subsequent 4 competitive challenges have had anything comparable.

tell you what if I got given a choice of an Intuos or a redraw ticket, I'd take the fricking tablet. I know Maki and Katie also have the con space prizes, but still, if i was them I'd be like 'next time can i win one where the prize is a Cintiq please.'

and OMG what is with *everyone* doing squared off crotches and banana arms a la Gabriel? Is it conscious homage or unconscious trying to flatter?

Weaselsoup on
    emarecksaykay
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    kscully wrote: »

What else could it possibly have been and still have the game be fair?

I assumed, like many others, that the redraw ticket would provide the bearer with an advantage going into the eliminations, so why on earth would it have to be fair?

Picking another topic isn't an advantage at all, you may get a better topic sure, but so does your opponent. Add to that the thought that you may well get a worse topic that benefits no-one.

I'd have thought it may well have given them an edge in the actual production of the comic, an extra 20 minutes after the buzzer, the opportunity to redraw one panel form their strip, that kind of jazz.

emarecksaykay
  • PharylonPharylon Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I've been on Team Maki since the beginning as he's the only artist I knew before Strip Serach (seriously, for me it's Penny Arcade, Oglaf, XKCD, and Sci-ence) and I'd love for Maki to be able to quit his day job and get back on a regular update schedule.

That being said, I was prepared for him to lose. I knew he didn't have a "Strip Search tatoo" and Amy did, but more than that, I knew Jerry and Mike wanted someone "playing the game" and that was Amy. And the whole interview, I honestly got the impression they wanted her to win. So I felt that if they both turned in good (or bad) comics, Amy would win. The only way for Maki to win would be for him to do really well or Amy to tank. IMO, both happened. Fortunately.

Pharylon on
    escape908spillfishduddlespiersnicaDruzilSupremetapeslinger
  • ObiRobKenobiObiRobKenobi Registered User regular
    That was a very good episode. Maki and Amy both were great contestants and I enjoyed their time in the ThunderDome. Maki's was definitely the hands-down winner though. Amy's wasn't bad and is generally what I expect with that sort of time frame but Maki's, like some of the other best from the eliminations, was inspired; both the art and the joke were excellent.

"Jerry's drinking my comic." was probably the hardest I've ever laughed at this show. Very well played. I'm sad that Amy had to go, she's really grown on me.

My heart was put through an awful gamut of emotions going between the adorable amount of cheer on Monica's face at Maki's return to the distinct sadness on Erika's.

Spot on episode in all regards!

escape908KoopahTroopahCortenPlusfraggyCambiataemarecksaykay
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    I could tell who the winner would be based on the art about halfway through as it became more and more clear that Amy wasn't directly using the two themes. Maki turned in an incredible piece, and, although Mike and Jerry were right in that it would have been funnier with just the first panel of dialogue, it was still pretty hilarious. Good for Amy, though. She came a long way and grew a large fan-base as a result of her appearance on the show.

spillfishtapeslingeremarecksaykay
  • JacenDarkriderJacenDarkrider Registered User new member
    A) MAAAAKKKKIIIIII!!!! WOOOT
    B) If you are what you eat....Jerry is art.
    C)Amy came across as cold the entire show pretty much. In the end she went out like a champ and with a lot more respect from this viewer.

emarecksaykay
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Nova1619 wrote: »
    edit: now that I think about it, he wasn't happy that the mermaids and ukeles weren't visually represented in Amy's comic, even though he didn't say anything about no circuses in Tavis' comic.

That's because Tavis drew a boobie, and Mike is Mike.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    Nova1619CortenPlusflamesonfireCambiata
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Woah woah woah, hold up.

There are white oreos?

And miles to go before I sleep.
    CortenPlusFalxMKF36Eseegruemarecksaykay
  • escape908escape908 Engineer Westbury, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Aww, poor Amy. She was awesome. :D But the Beardwall cannot be defeated!!! Yay, Maki! Getting down to the wire now! Oh noes!

And also, Jerry, way to eat that strip! Hilarious. :P

escape908 on
    emarecksaykay
    edited April 2013
    Saw the rest of the episode now… wow, I am very impressed in what art they can make in 90 minutes. I suck compared to them (I’ll keep practicing). Their scripts are funnier than mine too.

Sandra Snan on
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Really cool episode. It is kinda strange to see people finally open up (maybe because they have like 20 minutes to spend on two people) on the elimination stage. It is a good way to see how quick on their feet they are as they answer all the questions.

And at least we know what the redraw ticket does. It can be handy. Then again it isn't a big tablet so if you never have to use it, it is kind of a bum prize but it could come in really handy.

Amy said someone else was playing the game now, from what I have seen so far I'd have to guess she either means Tavis (she has been confiding in him and told him her strategy), Erika (they both started talking about letting eachother win in the same episode) or she thinks it is Lexxy (because she came back and is aiming to win it); based on who she hung out with most and talked to most. Of the three I'd either say Tavis or Lexxy is the one she means, for some reason Erika comes across as someone who wouldn't do it. Then again that might be Erika playing the game really well. But this is all just idle speculation for my own amusement.

It is a shame about Amy having to go as soon as she opened up, but Maki's strip was just better in my opinion. I wonder what happened. If the topics just weren't to her liking or if she was too tired to come up with something else. Like they said, it came across like she already had a joke and just jammed the two key-words in there to make it work. Even Maki, without seeing it I believe, said that they could feel that way. Plus I felt the flow of the conversation was just a tad off, especially in the first panel. The speech bubbles also. It just felt a bit cluttered and confusing. I really liked Maki's strip, but like they said if he had left out the text it would have been hilarious. The text was basically explaining what was happening and it didn't need to do that. It was fine on its own.

I did love the shot of Amy's face after Maki was telling about the stone face, that was just some perfect editing. And I love how animated Amy was while talking with blowing sounds and a hi-hat sound (the tssss), I like that in people.

xdeathknightx on
    emarecksaykay
    So, I like Cardigan Weather more than Sci-ənce, but here I liked Maki’s strip more than Amy’s, though both were very good.

I loved the words in his strip, too!

Here are my overall rankings.

Maki’s ukulele mermaids
    Katie’s space table tennis
    Lexxy’s areola circus
    Amy’s ukulele mermaids
    Alex’ space table tennis
    Katie’s future lost
    Ty’s future lost
    Mac’s flatulence fair
    Nick’s flatulence fair
    Tavis’ areola circus

• makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    @PHARYLON
    I almost got the tattoo on impulse. But, as this episode indicates, I decided to think about it more :P

Note that the tattoo isn't indicative of who won/lost. Entirely personal decision by all involved.

spillfishduddlesenderandrewlympiemarecksaykayPifmanXeavn
  • ZaerikZaerik Registered User new member
    Wow, great elimination round, guys! I have to say, I went into this wanting Amy to win, she has been one of the more interesting contestants throughout the show (And I think she did a great job here!). However, after Maki's excellent Chandra piece and his comic in this, I am very impressed. I look forward to seeing what else he does in the contest.

there'saforum?Sandra Snanfraggytapeslingeremarecksaykay
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    That was the most out loud laughs I've had in an episode yet.

I do believe Maki *dug* the challenge. ;) And I dug the comic. The lure of the siren to the lonely sailor is overcome by the attraction of the girl to the rock and roll guitar... excellent!

And Amy; well done. The girl in the challenge, away from stressing herself out over the game? That sarcastic funny girl? We like her. Jerry was right, you made fans. :)

spillfishmakitorifullofgracefraggytapeslingeremarecksaykay
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    That was another clear winner in my opinion. I really warmed up to Amy the last couple episodes, but sadly could not connect to her strip tonight. Her joke would have worked without the pictures, which kinda defeats the purpose of a comic strip. I understand that she probably was not able to pull off more in 90 min, but that just makes her the strip they were not searching for i guess. I checked out her back-catalog and she is definitely here to stay and is capable of much stronger strips. I am sad to see her go, but she brought a lot to the show and will be missed.

When Jerry drank the strip, I thought I entered some bizarro alternate reality and made the same face Amy did.

spillfishemarecksaykay
  • there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    Yep, pretty much as expected :(

I thought Amy might've gotten away with eschewing the mermaids/ukulele if her joke had a better punch. But a tame joke + not using the topics... too bad.

Maki did an OK job, I don't see why M&J thought he should've dropped the second two word balloons. If anything, it would've worked better if he'd kept just the third - two wordless panels followed by "I'll handle this".

Spman2099fullofgracetapeslingerRemielemarecksaykay
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Very happy to see Maki romp it in, an excellent comic which made me laugh a lot. I liked the text in panel 3, I think it added a sort of heroic captain vibe. Was disappointed with Amy's, seemed pretty rough and the joke didn't work for me. Can only imagine how hard it is to come up with something in that timeframe. And the redraw ticket is super lame, it should at minimum allow the bearer to draw another word and then choose which two of the three to use. The other person should have to use the original two.

duddlesemarecksaykay
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    Khayman wrote: »
    I thought Maki's strip was giggle worthy but actually would have been better with just the last panel text not the first panel

I actually thought this as well.

tapeslinger