The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #5

14567810»

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    makitori wrote: »
    I tried to make the guitar look like a harpoon, but it was a bit too subtle. Only one person I know of caught it ;)

Actually, there's a moment in the middle of the episode (the first time you see the guitar) where they deliberately crop the shot of your panel, so that it looks like the end of a harpoon. I thought it was a harpoon for about five minutes...

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Just started reading Amy's comic, it is pretty wonderful

And oh so often

Very NSFW

And miles to go before I sleep.
  • zylozylo Registered User new member
    Just getting through this show right now and I have to say I love it. I am sort of disappointed and don't know if it's a joke or not when Jerry and Mike say they want strife between the competitors. The only reason I am watching, is because of the lack of strife! I hate reality T.V and its hoaxy style where people are backstabbing each other and saying horrible things (which half the time is just because clips were spliced together to sound bad.) Strip Search is a breath of fresh air in my opinion, that shows people don't have to be despicable to be compelling. I watch because I generally like everyone on the show and want to see them progress. I keep coming back to see the challenges, friendships, and epic arts produced by everyone involved. I'm not rooting for someone to lose during an elimination, I'm sad because I know someone will lose and I want everyone to win! I hope, if this gets a second season, they don't lose that aspect.

Gypselle
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I think they're half joking. One on hand, they're sharing an office with the winner, so they don't want to reward people for being jerks. On the other hand, I think they want to see people being a little more confident and competitive, without sacrificing manners. Confidence is an ability booster, and entertaining. Losing has no bite when people don't show that they really are invested in winning.

sig.gif
    edited April 2013
    Finally got my scanner up and running!

You can view my effort in comic here

Alternatively:

2013-04-23-313mermaids.jpg

ahdok on
    Bucho
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm not the only one who thought the 'Re-Draw Ticket' allowed you another 1.5 hours to start fresh on a new comic if you weren't happy with your original result, right?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    KalTorak
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Just started reading Amy's comic, it is pretty wonderful

And oh so often

Very NSFW

double agree

the tongue-in-the-nose one really jumped out of left field for me

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Devonin wrote: »
    The point is that neither ukeleles nor mermaids are actually relevant to Amy's joke, or her strip. The dialogue mentions both, but you could dump pretty much any concept in there and have the same strip. Tavis' strip clearly relies on both of his concepts to make his joke - and that's why Mike and Jerry viewed them differently.

That's the same reason I picked Tavis over Lexxy. Hers could have been starring anybody, not just clowns, and it would have been the same strip.

But it was about clowns in the sense that every character was a clown, and all the props and the setting were clown related. They weren't just dropped in.

steam_sig.png
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    But it was about clowns in the sense that every character was a clown, and all the props and the setting were clown related. They weren't just dropped in.

They weren't just "dropped in" but they were 100% interchangeable without it impacting the joke in the slightest. If the second word hadn't been 'circus,' If they'd been cowboys, or aliens, or midgets, or robots the strip and joke would have been completely identical. That pull from the basket had no impact on the strip. Whereas if the second word hadn't been 'circus' then Tavis' strip could not have existed, full stop.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm not the only one who thought the 'Re-Draw Ticket' allowed you another 1.5 hours to start fresh on a new comic if you weren't happy with your original result, right?

Something like that.
    Redrawing seems like a pretty shitty prize.

Twenty Sided on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Am I wrong, or are none of the people who call the redraw ticket a "shitty prize" artists or comedians themselves? Every artist and comedy person I've spoken to sees the value instantly.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    ahdokT-bolt
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    I see the potential value, but I think that most of the time, you're gonna stick with what you have compared to some unknown that might be worse - particularly if you haven't been to elimination before and you have no idea what other sorts of things are in that wastebasket. As I said in the other thread, about an 80% chance that you either like the ideas presented enough to not want to risk a change, or that you use the ticket and regret it. That was pretty sparse data on that math but it seems about right to me. So yeah, extremely high potential value, but I don't think we're going to see it be useful during the show's run. Therefore lame.

zerzhul
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Well, I did qualify my statement.

I had to edit my post earlier because I suddenly realized that it's only valuable if you can elect between the two topics and if your competitor must stick to the first topic regardless.
    If these two caveats are not in place, then it's absolutely a shitty prize.

Also as mentioned, above, Maki probably felt confident with what he had. He wouldn't trade that for an uncertainty.

Twenty Sided on
  • CybexxCybexx Registered User regular
    I think Mike and Jerry are right about removing the dialog from the second panel of Maki's comic but "I'll handle this." made me laugh so I would of kept that in. I don't think the ambiguity of the Captain standing there with an electric guitar is quite enough to sell it.

Gypselle
    Oh, and am I an artist? Yes and no. I don't produce art professionally, haven't taken any classes on art, and don't even carry a sketchbook. But I do draw, I enjoy it and am getting better. I am also creative in other areas.

I haven't followed along with any of the eliminations yet but I have been regretting that and created my own miniature WBoBD to try a comic the other night. It's not very good, not even for 90 minutes, but I was thinking about posting it anyway.

I will put this in spoilers in case others were wanting 2 new ideas to draw from. (I think they are fun ones...) The ideas:
    Hot
    MP3 Player
    and the resulting comic.

Other things I have done recently:

Superhero for a tabletop game I've been playing.
    A picture of the prep-work and a different area's screenshot for a game I am making. (Yes, that is 100% my own work).

So yeah, I like to think of myself as an artist. Depending on your definition, your own opinion may differ, and I accept that.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I've seen a couple rounds in which I'd have used the ticket myself. You do not have very much time to think of a good joke, and a joke you can immediately see is very often better than one you have to go construct. If something doesn't IMMEDIATELY spring to mind, odds are you want to cash the ticket in.

All you have to do to see the value is go back through the rounds and see how many of the artists have gotten stuck already with topics they didn't have anything for and crashed out because of it. Maki may not have needed the ticket, but Amy probably did, but because it was in Maki's hands, she had to plow ahead with a joke that didn't fit the topics she had. Mac and Nick both obviously needed one and obviously would have used it. Lexxy may have opted to get rid of 'areola' if she'd had the option in favor of a more recognizable word.

Besides, what the other artist is doing really doesn't concern you nearly as much as what you're doing. Never mind the other artist. You don't know what they have in mind anyway or which pair will be tougher on them. You focus on you. Especially given that a double-elimination has already happened. You need to prove that YOU deserve to go back to the house, not that the other guy doesn't.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • thegovernment0usathegovernment0usa Registered User new member
    It did kind of seem like she had that joke pre-loaded, didn't it? I thought it was all for fun when Mike told Amy she wouldn't be able to copy the work of others in her challenge. But then that copycatting snake stole her joke from Venture Bros.

Season 3, Episode 5: "Buddy System"

Dr. Venture: [as the Moppets pass by] Some people just shouldn't breed. Those're some ugly kids.
    Brock: Kids? You're kiddin' right? They're achondroplastic dwarves.
    Dr. Venture: And they're almost as good as you or I and they deserve this camp as much as any kid here. You're such a racist.
    Brock: They're not really a race, doc.
    Dr. Venture: Will you listen to yourself, Hitler?

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Amy's said via Twitter that writing is really tough for her. I can see through her completed product that given whatever amount of time she normally puts into it, it's worth it, but she didn't have that kind of time in the Thunderdome. So yeah, I think she tried to pre-load a joke on the way there and it didn't work out the way she'd hoped. She probably would have used the ticket to try to get something more suitable to the joke she had (and if something new popped up all of a sudden, great).

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Pretty much all of the losing comics so far have struggled to make a joke out of the concepts on offer, and making the combo easier for one person doesn't make it easier for the other.

If I were facing Erika, I'd redraw "the Areola" in a heartbeat. If facing Maki, I'd redraw "the future". Both of those combos were tough for me and I know those artists would do well with those prompts.

A redraw ticket could easily keep you in the competition. It's not a Cintiq HD, but staying in is worth a -lot- to these people.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    parmeisan wrote: »
    I see the potential value, but I think that most of the time, you're gonna stick with what you have compared to some unknown that might be worse

There's no down side. You don't have to use the new idea if you feel it is worse. You have 3 ideas and you pick the 2 you like best. I doubt your opponent also gets to go with the new combination, but we haven't been shown that yet because Maki chose to hold onto his ticket.

It's a great prize. Having no clue how to proceed could send you home. Avoiding that is better than a Wacom.

edited April 2013
    And if it works like that, @Finnish_Line, then I will stop calling it lame. Earlier you said this:
    What I got from it was that Maki would be able to replace a topic, but Amy would have to use the original two topics.

But I'm not sure how you got that. This will probably come down to silly semantics and not be something that can be argued out until someone asks for further details on the ticket within the competition, but I feel pretty strongly that they would have explained exactly how it worked so that he would be able to decide properly whether or not he wanted to use it.

This is the exact wording they used: "Now, Maki. You have a redraw ticket. If you would like, you can cash that in and draw a new idea from the basket to replace either one of those." Nothing in that even suggests to me that it wouldn't be replacing the ideas for both involved. Further, and to address your most recent point, the way he says it really sounds to me as though he means that Maki would have to decide, prior to redrawing, which of the 2 ideas he is replacing, which makes it seem very unlikely to me that he would be able to change his mind after redrawing. But again, this is probably going to come down to subtle interpretation of wording and I probably won't make my point again if that's the case. I am merely saying that if it works in the way that I interpret Mike's words, then I don't appreciate the value of the redraw ticket.

If it works that way, then all of the following have to be true before I would appreciate it:

1. You end up at Elimination after receiving the ticket - very likely, but not guaranteed. Probably. If the final battle between the two "winners" is just a live Elimination or if it incorporates the Redraw ticket another way, then this point is moot.

2. You or your opponent draws an idea that you don't really know what to do with. OR, you have a bit of an idea but you think you can do better and you feel like taking a risk.

3. You draw something better. (For example, if Lexxy had redrawn The Areola and picked Flatulence or Country Fair, I don't think her final comic would have been as funny.)

So, I'm curious... are we arguing interpretations, or do some of you think that this interpretation of the ticket is still Pretty Cool? Personally, I think it has a chance to be, but a small chance. Maybe if I were on that stage I would rather have the ticket than a Cintiq waiting at home, but afterward (perhaps having not used it, or perhaps after further thought, feeling that I could have done as well or better with the first idea) I might change my mind.

parmeisan on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    We still do not know exactly how it will work. All we know at this point is that it allows a new draw out of the basket, and that the new draw will replace one of the two ideas chosen.

What we do not know:
    1) Does the re-drawer have to choose which to replace up front?
    2) Can the re-drawer choose to not use the new idea that is drawn?
    3) Does the opponent have to use the re-drawn idea or does the opponent stick with the originals?

86diUMN.png5OEMupX.png
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    it be awesome to see them use a redraw, the comic ideas they drew last time seemed to be preety prefect, I thought at first it would allow them to be saved from the elimination round, but i guess not that

• SupBroBroSupBroBro Registered User regular
    My brother and I took the cheat-at-home version of the challenge: bit.ly/ZxAMKh

• MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm not going to flat out say you guys are wrong here, but I do think there are a whole lot of assumptions being made that we simply do not have any conclusive evidence to support.

How did we get to the conclusion that Amy has some sort of mental illness? I've watched every episode and all I saw was a girl who entered the competition ready to fight and game her way to the top, and in the process she made some friends and realized that having a good time and enjoying herself and building those friendships is more important than being a cutthroat bitch just to win the game-show.

How did we get from that to mental illness?

Sure, she had an episode where she broke down and cried on camera, but that doesn't indicate anything other than perhaps she feels very strongly about her friendship with Erika and the rest of the contestants.

On the topic of her comic, are internet ukulele videos really a thing? I know that Kate Micucchi does that in her stand-up bit, but she's like the only one I know of who does that. Surely this comic can't be Rage Against The Micucchi.

We aren't talking about the stuff we see on the show, at least I'm not. Read the work or her website, if you've ever had mental health issues sometimes you get a "yup, been there" reaction.

• BarthedaBartheda Registered User regular
    Hey everyone I have a question, I have heard the guys (Jerry & Mike) say that the comics are "high concept" can someone please drop some knowledge on me about what they mean when they say that. I don't understand what it is they are saying, is it a good thing or a bad thing, neither? That would be cool thanks.
    Loving this show funny & super engaging.

I read 'high concept' as 'the joke you're trying to make may be clever, but it's likely to go over the reader's head and a clever joke does you no good if nobody gets it'.

edited May 2013
    Gosling wrote: »
    I read 'high concept' as 'the joke you're trying to make may be clever, but it's likely to go over the reader's head and a clever joke does you no good if nobody gets it'.

I think it's not just that, although that's a part of it:

Low Concept comics do little to challenge the reader: normally they follow all the conventions of comics as we understand them (Even if we only know these conventions subconsciously).

High Concept comics tend to break away from the normal expectations the reader might have in a comic. For example, they might tell a joke that not everyone will get, or just be a specific reference. Or, they might mess with the format of a standard comic, or contain a lot of meta-comic material. They might not even tell a joke at all, doing something else instead.. There are lots of things that can play with our expectations in reading a comic.

When you have a high concept comic, the reader usually has to do some work in order to fully appreciate the piece. The more of these elements you combine, and the more extreme you make them, the fewer people will "get" your comic, however, if done right, the people who do get your comic will find it very satisfying. There's a balance to be struck between keeping your readers engaged and doing clever things.

I'd say that Randall Munroe of xkcd is particularly adept at producing crazy high concept stuff, and possibly also Scott McCloud, for more experimental formats

ahdok on
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    Someone probably already said this, but if Amy could have changed her joke around to make it about anti-mermaid racism, or mermaids being racist, or something, she might have stood a better chance. Seems like a real missed opportunity to combine your preprepared joke with the topic when the topic could be comedically construed as a race.

my preferred text for Maki's comic would be Hold, men! in the first panel and 'I'll handle this' in the second, maybe. I think both those lines are funny.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What does Amy say at ~ 10:20 that had M&J in stitches? I can't make it out at all
    also Jerry is a boss

el_vicio on
    5FEdw1A.png
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    What does Amy say at ~ 10:20 that had M&J in stitches? I can't make it out at all
    I believe she says "whatever, I scripted my sh*t"

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Then I don't think I get it :S

5FEdw1A.png
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    I think, but am far from sure: Mike commented on her being behind on Maki. Maki immediately started drawing the comic from what I saw in the episode, and I think Amy spent some time working out the script to hers. And at that point made a comment about it.

• GypselleGypselle Registered User new member
    I respectfully disagree with Jerry's suggestion to remove the last two speech bubbles. If you do that I think it looks like the sailor has immediately succumbed to the mermaid's charms, as opposed to trying to own the situation, and I think the latter is funnier.

14567810»