The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #5

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    And the redraw ticket is super lame, it should at minimum allow the bearer to draw another word and then choose which two of the three to use. The other person should have to use the original two.
    Up until now I thought the "redraw" was going to be more literal. Like another 60 minutes to either re-work their strip or start over if they didn't like it and thought they had a better idea.

emarecksaykay
  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    I don't think there is a scenario in which the redraw ticket could allow something worthwhile and not be horribly unfair to the other person.
    Giving the holder more time is super unfair and having two different topic baselines would just make judging that much harder and uneven.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I was going to be sad either way because I like both of them a lot.

We'll see if Maki has to go back again and use his re-draw ticket. I'm glad he didn't choose to change either topic though. Mermaids and Ukeleles are a pretty great combination.

John the SkrullShpydarCambiataemarecksaykay
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    kolybry wrote: »
    I don't think there is a scenario in which the redraw ticket could allow something worthwhile and not be horribly unfair to the other person.
    Giving the holder more time is super unfair and having two different topic baselines would just make judging that much harder and uneven.
    It's not supposed to be "fair". It's supposed to be an advantage. ;)

ShpydarCambiataemarecksaykayBucho
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    welp Amy was the only person left who I gave a damn about. Also, I thought it was unfair that they criticized her for not making the comic ABOUT the two things. That wasn't made clear. They only said it had to contain those two things. And who cares if it was a joke she had in the pipe line?

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Hooray, Amy, nooooooo!
    Hooray, Maki, nooooooo!

That was painful, but at least we won't have to go through something like that again.

...Hm? In three more episodes, really? God damn it, Strip Search.

God damn it.

spillfishCambiataemarecksaykay
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yes! Yes, yes, yes! I haven't really cared about who came back in the other elimination challenges, but I was really rooting for Maki on this one. He just has made the right impression on me since day 1, where Amy's attitude immediately made me dislike her.

So happy he is still in this competition!

jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1og83npmjgeii.pngSteam:ArcSyn
    duddlespiersnica
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I can't believe nobody referenced Jess Fink.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • wonkeythemonkeywonkeythemonkey Registered User new member
    Not gonna lie: I laughed out loud at Maki's.

ElbasunudeathbearscptruggedkedinikxThanatoSxemarecksaykayBucho
  • JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    +1 to @ahdok for calling the blender elimination!

I am glad Maki stayed, liked his comic better, but at the same time man you can just feel how much Amy wanted it. I am glad those were (I think) happy tears from her at the end though, for what must have been a pretty overwhelming and obviously rewarding experience. Nice to see her let down her guard. I think she'll go on to make great things.

Intangible 360fraggyemarecksaykay
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    WHAT DOES PENNY ARCADE HAVE AGAINST AMERIKA

WE HAVE A WORD FOR THIS WHERE I COME FROM

TERRORISM

walrus.png
    YamahakomakitoriSpman2099Cambiata
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    JayeEmm wrote: »
    +1 to @ahdok for calling the blender elimination!

I am glad Maki stayed, liked his comic better, but at the same time man you can just feel how much Amy wanted it. I am glad those were (I think) happy tears from her at the end though, for what must have been a pretty overwhelming and obviously rewarding experience. Nice to see her let down her guard. I think she'll go on to make great things.

Yeah, I don't think anyone wanted to win as badly as Amy (at least not visibly) but I got the feeling that it was a really stressful week for her. Hopefully she used the rest of her time to relax and hang out with the other outcast strippers.

Also hopefully she has enough publicity from this to not have to work at crappy data entry jobs.

emarecksaykay
  • RaphtyrRaphtyr Registered User regular
    I feel like the biggest thing we are missing in Stripsearch is seeing the fly-on-the-wall personal interactions between the Artists. Just listening in on them hanging out and chatting to each other. That's always been one of my favourite things about reality TV, and it seems strange to me that there's none here. What's the go?

ShpydarrisingtableInsanelyZanterspillfishduddlesseegruMontyRohdeBreakerCoreemarecksaykayXeavnZombiewski
  • ShpydarShpydar Brampton, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jerms wrote: »
    Evermourn wrote: »
    And the redraw ticket is super lame, it should at minimum allow the bearer to draw another word and then choose which two of the three to use. The other person should have to use the original two.
    Up until now I thought the "redraw" was going to be more literal. Like another 60 minutes to either re-work their strip or start over if they didn't like it and thought they had a better idea.

I figured an additional 60 min would be too much. It would take away from the action of the original 90 minutes, and what do you do with the competitor? Make them sit in the car an extra 60 minutes?

I think that would affect the flow of the show negatively.

A way to make the redraw better (and as it was not used may still be an aspect) is that after a new idea is picked the person who used the redraw chooses which 2 ideas they use ... And which 2 their challenger will use.

That would make the challenge really interesting and the redraw a real advantage.

KoopahTroopah
  • lavonialavonia Registered User regular
    I always liked Amy's no nonsense attitude. Can really appreciate people who just speak their mind. Maki's comic was great, agree about the text at the very least on the middle panel but it was the better of the two.

ShpydarMonkeyKing1969fraggyemarecksaykayBucho
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    What I got from it was that Maki would be able to replace a topic, but Amy would have to use the original two topics.

That's a pretty great prize if you're standing there drawing a complete blank. I'm certain Nick and Mac would have played one for sure if they'd had it.

Sad to see Amy go. She was my favorite.

Finnish_Line on
    emarecksaykay
  • Squirrelo GrandeSquirrelo Grande Registered User regular
    I was starting to really like Amy, but I agree with Mike & Jerry, in that she didn't use the topics to the extent they wanted.

That being said, it's starting to bug me that there are some insanely talented people being sent home, while Abby is still floating by...

welp Amy was the only person left who I gave a damn about. Also, I thought it was unfair that they criticized her for not making the comic ABOUT the two things. That wasn't made clear. They only said it had to contain those two things. And who cares if it was a joke she had in the pipe line?

Jerry: "In the next 90 minutes you will make a comic based on those two themes" -2:22

The instructions are pretty clear. Mike and Jerry's criticism and choice has merit and is justified.

You can like Amy all you want but she didn't do what she was clearly instructed to do. That is always a clear loss.

risingtableDark Raven XSandra SnanKoopahTroopahenderandrewduddlesBreakerCoreemarecksaykayXeavn
  • ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    Sad to see Amy go.
    With that said, Maki's strip had all I ask for, with and without text. Props to you, Pineapple man.

steam_sig.png
    fraggyemarecksaykay
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    I agree Maki won that round fair and square, but I think Amy is a great person with incredible talent. But as I have said from the start, these are 12 people hand packed from thousands...so they already won.

Eleven people will go off and have great careers boosted not only by the experiences but by the connections they made with the other artists and this community. The twelfth will spend a year embedded in PA, which is a great prize indeed. Yet I can't help thinking being embedded could be hard, for some people that will build them up for others it will tearing them down.

• CNECNE Registered User regular
    If this was 1998, I'd make a shitty techno song built around Jerry saying "Go to the Shame Hole and think about what you did".

I'm guessing that smoothie had pineapple bits in it?

If I could make another .gif request: At the 20:00 mark of the video, Amy saying "Jerry's drinking my comic." is excellent comedic work by her. Of course, we could also make a OM NOM NOM .gif from Jerry's mouth-slop.

kscully wrote: »
    DVG wrote: »
    kscully wrote: »
    Urgh, can't believe the redraw ticket is just the ability to pick another random element? How is that a prize?

What else could it possibly have been and still have the game be fair?

I assumed, like many others, that the redraw ticket would provide the bearer with an advantage going into the eliminations, so why on earth would it have to be fair?

Picking another topic isn't an advantage at all, you may get a better topic sure, but so does your opponent. Add to that the thought that you may well get a worse topic that benefits no-one.

I'd have thought it may well have given them an edge in the actual production of the comic, an extra 20 minutes after the buzzer, the opportunity to redraw one panel form their strip, that kind of jazz.

Ahhh but we don't know that. Since the redraw wasn't used we don't know the full mechanics. One great way it could work is that the contestant who plays their redraw can then choose which two of the three ideas they will use... And which two their opponent will use. That could be a real advantage.

• Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    Ok first of all, is Pepsi a sponsor?! They are sneaking the bottles into more random shots :)

And Wow... i like how Mike took a shot at Amy's WotC work... damn. Honesty! I fear for Abby if she gets to an elimination!

This is the second episode they have hinted that Erika is the favorite. That part really surprised me until i read her resume again and said holy sh*t. Maki's work is boss.

At this point I think its really key that all of the contestants are sent to an elimination challenge just so we can see what they produce in the 90 minute window under those conditions. Monica and Abby next episode!

Sandra Snan
  • WigawagaWigawaga Registered User regular
    Its interesting that normally in reality shows the most exciting part is the elimination round but here we spend a significant amount of time watching the judges eat and talk about cookies. I also get that they want to promote interesting witty banter to spice up this lull but most of the time it comes off as Mike needling the contestants and them trying to respond graciously yet uncomfortably. Its really not coming off as "playful" as I think they wanted.

All that said, sorry to see Amy go, but Maki was the clear winner of this one. His comic sans the wording reminds me of something out of Perry Bible Fellowship.

lympi
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Ok first of all, is Pepsi a sponsor?! They are sneaking the bottles into more random shots :)

I suspect it went like this:

"Hey guys, can we get you anything to drink for the challenge?"
    "Maki: I'd like a bottle of pepsi"
    "Amy: I'd like an energy drink"
    "Strip Search: Cool okay"

zerzhulElbasunuSassoriKoopahTroopahenderandrewDruzilSupremeKathleen_LRRDiplominatoremarecksaykayXeavn
  • michaeldemossmichaeldemoss Shreveport, LARegistered User regular
    Maki's comic was the best that I've seen in the elimination rounds so far.

deathbearsSandra Snancptruggedstrike_the_tripfraggyemarecksaykayscotterdoooBucho
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    All sponsors are officially listed in the credits.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    zerzhulKoopahTroopahenderandrewemarecksaykay
  • YamahakoYamahako Registered User regular
    Man, if Amy had done the first panel as a shot of people from behind looking at a youtube video of a mermaid using a uke, I wonder how much hard a decision this would have been for them. I don't think Amy did bad, but having an "easy" way to discount the other comic must have been a bit of a relief for Mike and Jerry. I can't imagine this is simple for them either.

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Maki obviously deserved the win but I think people are being a bit too easy on him because his art is wonderful. Honestly the text doesn't just make the joke weaker, it totally confuses what would have been a sharp, simple visual gag/subversion of expectations (sailor stops, sees pretty mermaids, you'r expectation is that he's just admiring them and being seduced by their beauty... instead he joins in, probably trying to impress them, with an electric guitar which is totally unexpected and funny).

The joke that Maki TRIED to make substantially over complicates things, as Jerry said (Sailor sees pretty girls whom he realizes are actually DANGEROUS sirens, you expect him to do something to try to fend them off or escape the very perilous situation... instead he grabs a guitar and again tries to impress them, ignoring the danger.) From a joke construction standpoint it's too big a mental leap to expect the reader to make, IMO. My mind was going all kinds of places trying to make sense of it. Wait, is the guitar some kind of weapon? It's kind of sharp like a harpoon? Or is Maki invoking some part of Siren lore about playing music back at them, and I'm missing it?

I finally realized he was just going for the simple joke that could have been achieved without the "danger" setup. IMO the setup seriously over complicates the joke and really hinders the punchline.

Anyway, I still think Maki rules but I'm very sad to see Amy go. Ah, well.

Lamp on
  • tetracycloidetetracycloide Registered User regular
    Tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard.

LatteGrandefraggy
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Shame to see Amy leave, especially on the day she decided to open up, but Maki's strip was the better of the two.
    Great elimination episode.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    emarecksaykayflamesonfire
  • KatuluuKatuluu MinneapolisRegistered User new member
    I'd have to disagree about removing text from both of the last two panels, though I do agree that Maki should have taken out the text from the final panel. That puts all the em-fah-sis on the punch and really helps corny up the joke and bring it home. As others have stated, only having text in the final panel accomplishes something similar as well.

Pretty clear that Maki made the better strip, though I think Amy is a far more interesting and compelling character on the show. She's got serious talent, and I'm not quite sure she realizes it yet.

emarecksaykay
  • Earth/MotherEarth/Mother Registered User regular
    There's a lot of people proposing changes to the redraw ticket and we haven't even seen it in action yet to tell if there's issues with it or not. It's my opinion that the way it is now is strong in theory, the person with the redraw ticket can get a second chance if they're blanking on an idea for a joke, the opposing artist gets their idea for a joke scrapped, and it doesn't overcomplicate the process (time is money.)

I'm going to use a video game analogy since this is penny arcade to illustrate my point. Imagine the elimination phase is a 1 vs 1 race in Mario Kart with all of the items turned off. At the starting line one racer burns out and the other one gets a boost, this race wouldn't be very interesting to watch however the burnt out racer is allowed a restart and this time around gets the boost too. This re-levels the playing field. Giving the artist the chance to draw for another 60 minutes or to choose what subject material the other artist can use or anything else would be equivalent to giving them two boosts (which is equivalent to one person burning out.) Furthermore allowing both artists to draw on different subject matter wouldn't work because then the judges wouldn't be able to compare the two strips, in my analogy the racers would be driving on different racetracks.

If you're still following me I've made my point but follow me further if you will. What if we took the elimination phase further? What if the artists had to draw a comic while racing go karts? What if the winner of the show has to perform a strip search of their own? In Nickelodeon's Double Dare style they face up against Mike and search all of Jerry's cavities for flags and whoever collects the most flags is the new penny-arcade artist. Then what if Mike has to compete on the next season to reclaim his spot?

makitorivid
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    Seven left, four have experience at eliminations, and three will be new to the experience. For better or worse now every choice will either 'be' or 'appear' tactical.

I would like to see Monica and Abby go head to head because they both have a similar style and they have been untested. I don't think there is an advantage to giving 'tested' players MORE experience at an elimination. On the other hand it is easy to forget most of the contestants have been drawing comics for years if not over a decade. I don't think anyone would be a pushover in any elimination.

• T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    I think the redraw ticket would have been useful to Amy if she had it since she clearly didn't have an idea that incorporated both concepts. But in that alternate timeline we wouldn't have gotten to see Rock God vs. The Sirens.

emarecksaykay
  • Nova1619Nova1619 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Yamahako wrote: »
    Man, if Amy had done the first panel as a shot of people from behind looking at a youtube video of a mermaid using a uke, I wonder how much hard a decision this would have been for them. I don't think Amy did bad, but having an "easy" way to discount the other comic must have been a bit of a relief for Mike and Jerry. I can't imagine this is simple for them either.

I was actually thinking the same thing, except with the 2nd panel.

edit: also it didn't seem like Jerry discounted Amy's comic because of the lack of a visual mermaid. When Mike complained about it, Jerry defended it saying the concepts were technically in the comic.

Nova1619 on
    spillfishCambiata
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Lamp wrote: »
    Honestly the text doesn't just make the joke weaker, it totally confuses what would have been a sharp, simple visual gag/subversion of expectations (sailor stops, sees pretty mermaids, you'r expectation is that he's just admiring them and being seduced by their beauty... instead he joins in, probably trying to impress them, with an electric guitar which is totally unexpected and funny).

The joke that Maki TRIED to make substantially over complicates things, as Jerry said (Sailor sees pretty girls whom he realizes are actually DANGEROUS sirens, you expect him to do something to try to fend them off or escape the very perilous situation... instead he grabs a guitar and again tries to impress them, ignoring the danger.) From a joke construction standpoint it's too big a mental leap to expect the reader to make, IMO. My mind was going all kinds of places trying to make sense of it. Wait, is the guitar some kind of weapon? It's kind of sharp like a harpoon? Or is Maki invoking some part of Siren lore about playing music back at them, and I'm missing it?

I finally realized he was just going for the simple joke that could have been achieved without the "danger" setup. IMO the setup seriously over complicates the joke and really hinders the punchline.

Personally, I think you are overemphasizing the problems caused by the text in Maki's comic. I certainly don't feel like it complicated the comic or made it perplexing; I just think it oversold the premise. Either way, the comic is still relatively strong.

Spman2099 on
    Dark Raven XElbasunuJermsKoopahTroopahJDSterkenburgArbitraryDescriptorxdeathknightxspillfishDruzilSupremeGamercowemarecksaykaySpiritfireBuchoXeavn
  • JDSterkenburgJDSterkenburg Registered User regular
    I was starting to really like Amy, but I agree with Mike & Jerry, in that she didn't use the topics to the extent they wanted.

That being said, it's starting to bug me that there are some insanely talented people being sent home, while Abby is still floating by...

I agree to a point. I too was starting to like Amy, and I think that she does excellent work but fell short when it came to using the topics for her strip. I have my favorites of course, and you are correct in saying that there is some crazy talent in that house, but to say that Abby is just floating by is just mean. I don't particularly care for a lot of her stuff, but I think she deserves to be in that house just as much as everyone else.

Modred189Spman2099fraggyemarecksaykay
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Lamp wrote: »
    Maki obviously deserved the win but I think people are being a bit too easy on him because his art is wonderful. Honestly the text doesn't just make the joke weaker, it totally confuses what would have been a sharp, simple visual gag/subversion of expectations (sailor stops, sees pretty mermaids, you'r expectation is that he's just admiring them and being seduced by their beauty... instead he joins in, probably trying to impress them, with an electric guitar which is totally unexpected and funny).

Anyway, I still think Maki rules but I'm very sad to see Amy go. Ah, well.

Maybe it's just me but I interpreted Maki's comic as thus:

Captain sees Sirens, knows they are dangerous (they are!). He then combats them not by normal means but by a ROCK-OFF.

Which is fucking amazing.

Personally, I think it would've been more succinct without the middle panel's text. The first one conveys more than enough that he is seeing the mermaids as dangerous, and the last panel that he is 'fighting' them off rather than trying to impress them.

Anzekay on
    Dark Raven XModred189Spman2099Sandra SnanarnifixKoopahTroopahxdeathknightxpiersnicatheResetButtonDevoninSonorkemarecksaykayErix The Red
  • elgrecosauruselgrecosaurus Registered User regular
    I'm really pleased that Maki won, because I think he was definitely the better performer in the elimination challenge, but man. It sucks to see Amy go; I'd have liked her to get another day of enjoying the house without so much worrying about "the game."

Baravisemarecksaykay