The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #5

• BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Gosling wrote: »
    That's just Abby's comic style. In the challenges she's been a lot more professional. Her T-shirt was among the top tier, her Chandra was really good as well.

Yeah, people who think Abby isn't a good artist because they don't like how her comic is drawn just haven't been paying attention to what she's been doing in the show or checking out her other work. She draws really well when she wants to, she just chooses that odd style for her comic, I guess because she's not a full-time comicker so doesn't have time for anything more ostentatious.

But if she did become full-time and could match "prettier" art to the fact she's already the most hilarious of all the contestants, she'd be an unstoppable force.

Remiel wrote: »
    Don't understand how you guys thought Tavis' Aureola Circus sucked. I thought it was brilliant. His art style is definitely far more cartoonisha nd less refined than anybody else's, but I thought his execution of the concept was freakin' brilliant. Spoiler: the Aureola Circus was the name of sex technique. The technique that his character was performing on his girlfriend before he distracted himself with the tragic story of the Graysons.

The image in that last panel made it seem like he was looming threateningly over the girl, which was disturbing, not funny. It's not clear at all that he's "distracted", it seems more like the horrible endgame of the creepiest seduction ever.

If he'd had the girl with a bored "Oh brother" expression, to show that she didn't feel threatened, it would have worked better.

Bucho on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

That is the single most heartwarming thing I've seen in all my time on this site.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    microbrienmiaAusaNotaCylon
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Love Amy's Strip Search farewell comic. I'm looking forward to seeing what she does next.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    microbrienkedinik
  • MrKoopaMrKoopa Registered User regular
    Hmm. RE: Text on Maki's comic: I think dropping the text from both the second and third panels might have been a bit much, but the second panel I think definitely could've gone without text. That there are some playful mermaids approaching is conveyed enough through the art in the second panel, but the concept of them being dangerous sirens isn't completely evident from the art alone. His facial expression in the third panel sells it part of the way, but adding the "I'll handle this." is, I think, just enough to fully implicate the hidden danger of the situation (otherwise there would be nothing to handle, and he could just be communicating with them in an incredibly silly way) without being overly wordy. MHO, anyway. Still excellent work, and a good battle.

PeterBmanmaxdNotaCylon
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    Re: #StripSearch and #ElimComic. I’m not going to use Twitter™. I like this forum a lot as it is.

• Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    I think it’s clear, even without any context, that Tavis’ probably didn’t MEAN for his areola strip to come out so creepy. I don’t think he intends the guy to be forceful or evil.
    It does look like that, but it defies commons sense that he would do that intentionally.

• DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    It also doesn't even look like that objectively. The mood I got from the girl was "Dude...what are you doing?" not "I'm afraid, please stop"

It hearkens back to the Seinfeld Bad Foreplay scene.

KalTorakFalx
  • VerticalEventVerticalEvent Registered User regular

I must say, I enjoyed that. Do we have any other "farewell" strips/blogs from other eliminated competitors?

• Erix The RedErix The Red Registered User regular
    Meh, connection to the topics hasn't mattered at all in previous eliminations. Tavis' strip has as little to do with circuses and areolas as Amy's does with mermaids and ukuleles, yet they chose that over Lexxy's.
    Frankly I thought Tavis' was confusing. At first I thought it was a sex move called the areola circus but there was only one frame with him working those nips. I assumed that this must just be some conversation he's having.

Bucho
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Devonin wrote: »
    It also doesn't even look like that objectively. The mood I got from the girl was "Dude...what are you doing?" not "I'm afraid, please stop"

"George - what are you doing?!"

"Uh... you know... pleasuring you."

KalTorak wrote: »
    Devonin wrote: »

"George - what are you doing?!"

"Uh... you know... pleasuring you."

I feel like I'm being probed by aliens!

• PifmanPifman Registered User regular

I must say, I enjoyed that. Do we have any other "farewell" strips/blogs from other eliminated competitors?

I know Alex did one.

PA-Signature.gif
    KoopahTroopahVerticalEvent
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    That's just Abby's comic style. In the challenges she's been a lot more professional. Her T-shirt was among the top tier...

I like Abby, but her T-shirt design was specifically called out by the judges as the worst of the bunch.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Meh, connection to the topics hasn't mattered at all in previous eliminations. Tavis' strip has as little to do with circuses and areolas as Amy's does with mermaids and ukuleles, yet they chose that over Lexxy's.
    Frankly I thought Tavis' was confusing. At first I thought it was a sex move called the areola circus but there was only one frame with him working those nips. I assumed that this must just be some conversation he's having.

Tavis's strip directly referenced the death of a circus family from Batman. The joke, as I see it, is a man concocting/narrating a sex move on his lover (think animal crackers in armageddon) but he gets so wrapped up in his analogy that by the end of it he's kinda of lost himself in his own fandom (instead of the sex he should be having).

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    it would be interesting to see all these tavis comic scenarios charted out. "...and here we see that track c gathers in 30% of the readers until panel number x where three possible meanings divide the consensual sex group fairly evenly. it is at this point in the comic that the c/variant2 group is rejoined by about half of the track b faction to form the largest contingent in agreement that we will see for the remainder of the comic, the cv2bv1 group as we are calling them, constituting a whopping 25% of the tavis comic readers...."

and, really great exit strips by both amy and alex.

sketchity on
  • foofoo Registered User regular
    These "farewell" strips are actually semi-spoilers that they didn't get pulled back on later in the series.

Bucho
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    We thought that about Lexxy's 'see you around' drawing too.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    CambiataBucho
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone is really expecting a revolving door anyway.

walrus.png
    Cambiatakedinik
  • RicciardiVFXRicciardiVFX Registered User regular
    Is there a set schedule when episodes are released? I can't get enough I NEED MORE!

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Is there a set schedule when episodes are released? I can't get enough I NEED MORE!

Tuesdays and Fridays

RicciardiVFX
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Bucho wrote: »
    The image in that last panel made it seem like he was looming threateningly over the girl, which was disturbing, not funny. It's not clear at all that he's "distracted", it seems more like the horrible endgame of the creepiest seduction ever.

If he'd had the girl with a bored "Oh brother" expression, to show that she didn't feel threatened, it would have worked better.

The final panel uses a low-angle shot. Low-angle shots are used most often to frame the subject in a position of power, it makes them/it look larger and more imposing. Used super often in horror films to depict the monster. Roger Ebert's article "How to read a movie" does a super quick overview on this sort of stuff really well.

(Tried to resist commenting, failed.)

Maki uses high and low-angle shots much more subtly. The angles help present the sirens as non-threatening and harmless. He uses these tools to help tell his joke, and his comic is funnier for it.

Sejarki on
    Bucho
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    I tried to make the guitar look like a harpoon, but it was a bit too subtle. Only one person I know of caught it ;)

RicciardiVFXAngry_SamoanDVGPaviomiaAusaNotaCylonSassoriGypselle
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    foo wrote: »
    These "farewell" strips are actually semi-spoilers that they didn't get pulled back on later in the series.
    Well Lexxy got pulled back in because she delivered a knock out comic that was about on par with Tavis his comic. And later they happened to have 2 weaker comics being submitted after 90 minutes. So I don't think they will suddenly be pulling a ton of people back in unless the same situation happens.
    This time there was a clear winner, so while Amy is a great comic artist (so good that she can move out to Seattle and be close anyways) I don't think her comic would get her back in the house again. It didn't have the impact that Lexxy and Tavis had.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular

Techincally, in Alex's elimination strip Mike shot him into outer space, so that might count.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Sejarki wrote: »
    The final panel uses a low-angle shot. Low-angle shots are used most often to frame the subject in a position of power, it makes them/it look larger and more imposing. Used super often in horror films to depict the monster.

Yup, that was the problem. There's a solid joke in there but it gets overridden by the power dynamic that's (accidentally I presume) communicated by the last panel. But these are 90 minute things these guys are making, so it's ridiculous the elimination strips are as good as they are even with their flaws. And Tavis is about five thousand times more talented than I am so in my more lucid moments, although they are few and far between, it feels kind of dumb for me to critique him.

But what are you gonna do, it's the internet. It's my duty to unqualifiedly critique everything.

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    Techincally, in Alex's elimination strip Mike shot him into outer space, so that might count.
    Is that what happened? I seriously didn't understand what was happening in that comic.

• foofoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    hero_artist.jpg

I was just looking at where everybody's standee was, wondering if there's any subliminal correlation to when they're eliminated.

However, I noticed that Abby's waaay in the back and off to the side, with the tangent shoulder seemingly specifically covered. I wonder if that was mandated? ;-)

foo on
  • thegreenmonkeythegreenmonkey Registered User regular
    Interesting result from this elimination. I know, I know I'm late to the party. Her art and comic notwithstanding, I just don't think Amy has what SS is looking for. She's certainly talented though, and I enjoyed the dynamic she brought with her and wish her a very fine career.

As for her comic as was stated in the show I didn't think it quite lived up to the 'broken dreams' that were drawn. It just felt limited to me, and previously thought out, which seemed a bit odd. Her comic's joke I felt was more about the racism, than the mermaid, and ukulele.

Maki's while improved with the omission of the text in the last two panels was well done, and covered both topics well. Maki's comic worked either way though was well drawn and told a nice little story.

As for the mermaids<>sirens argument, I'm not quite sure why there's such a dichotomy in the posts, but I've always known them as being equal and referring to the same type of creature. Saying they are not equal would be like saying that two different dog breeds are not dogs. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Both mermaids and sirens are lovely and deadly creatures although the methods may be different. I've seen both terms used interchangeably in reference to the same creature quite often in fantasy literature. And when I think of a mermaid, I think of a half woman/half fish type creature who uses her charms, whether musical or otherwise, to lure men to their doom. How one defines doom in that context is a totally different argument.

I believe that's why it was stated that the text could be removed from the 2nd and 3rd panels in Maki's comic and the joke still works, and actually becomes much more powerful.

Anyhow, great show. Can't wait until tomorrow.
    tgm

• WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    Got to admit, I still don't understand either Alex's or Tavis' comic. (I know about the Batman thing, it still just doesn't work for me.)

I still want to know if those that are using Gabe-esque stylistic elements are doing it as a conscious thing or whether it's more unconscious influence. (Alex openly said he was inspired by Gabe, of course). It's not a criticism either way, just really interested in how these things happen.

Cambiata
    edited April 2013
    Penny Arcade's a popular comic and drew the Strip Search application pool pretty much from people who knew enough about the strip to know about the Kickstarter campaign. Alex was even one of the Kickstarter donors. It can easily happen in the kind of talent pool they'd be drawing from.

And on that note, the F5 ritual is on once again.

Gosling on
    xThanatoSxnhaines
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hopefully tonight's episode posts before 3ish-AM :D

/commences F5 ritual

xThanatoSx on
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I really loved how Maki's comic turned out, I found it funny how Amy has prints latley about Mermaids with an ulkeleke, I wonder if she would be the winner if she put in more of a mermaid

Meanwhile, Lexxy's hosting a Livestream viewing party.

There is a picture of a butt with sunglasses to entice you.

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Weaselsoup wrote: »
    Got to admit, I still don't understand either Alex's or Tavis' comic. (I know about the Batman thing, it still just doesn't work for me.)

I still want to know if those that are using Gabe-esque stylistic elements are doing it as a conscious thing or whether it's more unconscious influence. (Alex openly said he was inspired by Gabe, of course). It's not a criticism either way, just really interested in how these things happen.

Tavis's joke is either something you understand or you don't. The entire joke is that fanboys get so deep in their own heads that they prioritize their fan investment over more... immediate things.

I explained Ty's today in his elimination thread, but I might as well put it here, too. I've realized I dislike Ty's comic not because I dislike the joke... but because it's a joke with a false premise that closely resembles a joke I WOULD really like.

The reason someone asks "Or WHEN are we?" (using the more common phrasing) it's to bring up the idea that they have moved in time but not moved in space. So if you departed on your trip from Seattle, WA, and got off in a completely different looking place, you could be displaced in space, or time, or both. Someone says "Or When are we" to indicate that hey... maybe we traveled in time while staying in the same place. We should re-evaluate our assessment of the situation. Maybe we're in Seattle, 2525

So "When are we?" is kind of a valid question, too. I think the weird argument they have at the end even further muddies the joke.

The joke he was trying for was something like this (Note: this is overly explained for joke clarity, not an actual script edit).

"I have no idea where we are."
    "Or WHEN we are!?"
    "Yeah, our time machine malfunctioned and we're lost in the past. That doesn't change the fact that we're also lost in that we don't know where we are... like... longitudinally."
    "Ok, fine. AND when we are!"
    "That doesn't have the same punch."
    "It's not meant to be clever, I honestly don't know when we are."
    "Neither do I."
    "Well you asked where we are, and I obviously don't know that either."
    "So we're double lost, and by asking each other for help, we're basically asking the only people guaranteed to know neither where or when we are."
    "I... guess so."

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    I want Monica to pop out of a cake!

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Oh man, my blender prediction was totally on the spot, although I didn't expect the contents drunk as well...

okay, what else could they do to destroy a comic? I reckon the next one is going to get exploded somehow.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I was away for this one, moving house and having no internet. I'll try and get my comic for it up over the weekend, but that means getting my scanner operational again...
    Nova1619 wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, he wasn't happy that the mermaids and ukeles weren't visually represented in Amy's comic, even though he didn't say anything about no circuses in Tavis' comic.
    Tavis' strip has as little to do with circuses and areolas as Amy's does with mermaids and ukuleles, yet they chose that over Lexxy's.

That's... not it.

The point is that neither ukeleles nor mermaids are actually relevant to Amy's joke, or her strip. The dialogue mentions both, but you could dump pretty much any concept in there and have the same strip. Tavis' strip clearly relies on both of his concepts to make his joke - and that's why Mike and Jerry viewed them differently.
    I thought it was unfair that they criticized her for not making the comic ABOUT the two things. That wasn't made clear. They only said it had to contain those two things.

They said it had to "be based on" the two concepts. If I draw a comic about robot minotaurs fighting flying dinosaurs underwater, and I write the word "ukelele" on the robot, I'm not actually using ukelele in my strip.
    it's starting to bug me that there are some insanely talented people being sent home, while Abby is still floating by...

There's no question that she can't hold a candle to her housemates artistically.

Her stand-up just shows art, not writing talent, and her MTG art was comparable to the others on a technical level. Besides, isn't everyone secretly on Team Tangent?
    Evermourn wrote: »
    the redraw ticket is super lame,

Disagree. When you can't think of a joke using the two concepts, you end up doing things like randomly launching yourself into space, or writing a joke about misinterpreting racism. Getting new topics is hella valuable. :)
    Lamp wrote: »
    I expected a "fend them off" response from the sailor, but I wasn't sure how to interpret the guitar as a "fend them off" response until I read some comments here and someone suggested he's doing a "battle via rock off."

Actually, he's going to Fender them off.
    The fact the myth involves sirens and these are mermaids doesn't really matter; either you're going to make the connection or you're not.

I do find that Sirens and Mermaids are equivalent in many settings.
    Ironblue wrote: »
    Oh, Maki's comic hasn't been overanalyzed. Not yet:

The fact that there are so many different possible interpretations of Maki's comic IS its real strength. I mean, 3 panels of text is probably 1-2 panels too many, and that is a good critique to make, but what blows me away about the comic is it has so much potential.

I'd identify the juxtaposition of the mermaid's grinning face and the captain's serious face as the only truly 'core' elements that are indispensable. The quality of the work is carried by those two faces alone.

But look what happens when you cover up just ONE of the text bubbles! Not only is the piece as a whole stronger for it; the intent of the joke is subtly distorted. If the second panel is covered, it creates a beat panel for the captain's 'I'll handle this' punchline. If the third panel is covered, the comic ends on a gloriously silent 'calm before the storm' moment, AND the captain's intent for these playful, yet dangerous sirens is left entirely to the reader's imagination. Is he going to jam with them? Handle them? You don't know, and your mind cannot contain the possibilities.

Supposing ALL the bubbles are covered up? Then it becomes a hilariously pantomimed silent drama, like a Charlie Chaplin movie. And, as was previously mentioned, leaving all three bubbles UNCOVERED lends the captain that humorous Zaph Brannigan self-narration quality.

Not only are you laughing at the comic that WAS, you are also laughing at the comics that could have BEEN. This is Shroedinger's Comic.

For Maki's dialogue, it's really a matter of taste. I don't think the dialogue adds much to the strip, but I don't think it detracts either. Some are of the school that you should express your joke as cleanly and efficiently as possible. In that regard, I'd be very tempted to not have any dialogue at all.

If you really want to have fun with Maki's comic, you take all the working combinations of speech bubbles, and you tell your website to randomly serve one of the combinations to each visitor, so even your audience see it from different angles. It'll probably take them a while to work out that you did this too.
    eagl wrote: »
    Jerry hasn't been too careful about toxicity of substances he's ingested or injected in the past so we can rest assured a little printer ink (plotter pigment, whatever) isn't going to cause any damage.

You're probably right, but he will gain the power to poop business cards.
    kedinik wrote: »
    Maki knocked this elimination round out of the park.

I think you'll find he (...pauses to put on some sunglasses) Blew it out of the water.

ahdok on
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    TinklesLavidius
    The point is that neither ukeleles nor mermaids are actually relevant to Amy's joke, or her strip. The dialogue mentions both, but you could dump pretty much any concept in there and have the same strip. Tavis' strip clearly relies on both of his concepts to make his joke - and that's why Mike and Jerry viewed them differently.

That's the same reason I picked Tavis over Lexxy. Hers could have been starring anybody, not just clowns, and it would have been the same strip.

• kraughmarkraughmar Registered User regular
    How could we go 9 pages about whether Maki's strip was or was not a duel scenario without mentioning War Photographer? Enjoy this: