As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sony Platformers] Sly will be a TV series now, who knows about the movie

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Well, does your sniper have its Omega upgrade?

Level 10 Omega,100% upgraded. The telepathopuses were getting chunked in the first playthrough with the weapon but on Challenge Mode it barely takes 10% off. Whereas I whip out RYNO and it practically explodes on its own.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah the sniper rifle in this game is super weak

Upgrading that and the photon drum were exercises in tedium

Most of the weapons were good though

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well no it's not weak. Anything else and I chunk them with the sniper rifle as well as the photon drum. Both are one of my primary weapons because toss down a Level 10 Omega Groovibomb followed by two Level 10 Omega Photon Drums and everything in the area dies.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    So finished the game and started Challenge Mode before I watch the movie tomorrow. Just like I planned. Hopefully it will be worth the popcorn I buy.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's also only projected to pull in about 5 million this weekend. I'm pretty bummed because I want to live in a world where Ratchet and Clank become a huge multi media phenomenon culminating with a giant baloon in the Thanksgiving day parade in NYC.

At least the game is great and doing really well with sales. I don't doubt we'll see a sequel in the future.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Kids these days with their Call of Duty!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I didn't expect it to set the world on fire. I suspect it will be one of those that does better on DVD/BluRay because I know I will like it and that my kids will like it, but I'll be damned if I'm taking for 5-year-olds to a movie theater. We'll watch it at home when I've made pizza and popcorn here for them and can pause every 30 minutes when they need to use the bathroom.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I can say after watching it, that it's a movie for people who know the games. There's more pop culture and homages than actual comedy, but it's there. It's a shame it had to be an origin story, because most of it is to show Ratchet's rise and Dr. Nefarious' creation. The next one would have a better story, but that won't happen.

But there's a lot to like if you're a fan, including showing off more weapons from older games than this one, and some callbacks that are awesome. Best one I saw was Clank trying to figure out what Ratchet is, and a few queries show both Daxter and Sly Cooper.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Took my kids to see Ratchet & Clank yesterday, and I have a completely unbiased* opinion about the movie.

It was awesome and everything I would have wanted from a Ratchet movie. Unfortunately though, as @Quiotu said, the movie is basically tailor made for the fan of Ratchet & Clank. It was full of references, cameos, and jokes that only those who have played through all the games would get. The characters were as charming as ever, the original voice cast reprised their roles as Ratchet, Clank, Qwark, and Nefarious which I appreciated because they could have gone the route of wanting big names to play the title roles.

The story was a double origin, that of the rise of Ratchet & Clank, the start of their friendship, and at the same time, the origin of Nefarious' change from a squishy to a robot. The movie did cameos of a lot of the weapons that have appeared throughout the franchise, including some I didn't expect like the Tornado Launcher and Mr. Zurkon. The movie explained a few things I wasn't expecting like how does Ratchet keep all those weapons on him at all times?

The cameo of Daxter and Sly was great, and the Wilhelm joke made me laugh more than I thought it would.

Either way, the movie was great, it was funny, had heart, and made me immediately want to go home and play the games.

My kids loved the movie.

*Not unbiased

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The biggest negative I can give the movie is that my theatre had probably a dozen people in it, so the chance of there being a sequel is basically zilch, which is too bad because now that the origin is out of the way they could do some great stories from later games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I feel like the issue with this movie is it's a decade late and the first game of the series is like the weakest of the series in terms of story. It never really stood a chance

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I feel like the issue with this movie is it's a decade late and the first game of the series is like the weakest of the series in terms of story. It never really stood a chance

Going Commando's story was even weaker imo but yeah.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The biggest negative I can give the movie is that my theatre had probably a dozen people in it, so the chance of there being a sequel is basically zilch, which is too bad because now that the origin is out of the way they could do some great stories from later games.

Sony might consider it a success overall since the game's doing well, the movie really didn't get much advertising and they're still pretty adventurous on what they produce. Though I'll agree I won't hold my breath.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Even if we get no sequel, I'm happy knowing that I got a movie based on Ratchet & Clank, which is something I never thought I would have seen produced. So I'm one happy fan all around.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Civil War is this week too, so there's probably no chance for R&C. I probably wont see the movie until it's available to rent/buy on PSN, but if we can at least get new R&C games on PS4, I'd count that as a win.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The game has been so successful that I really hope Insomniac already have another game in the works.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I wonder how feasible direct-to-bluray/PSN would be. The movie and game can share assets to reduce costs, and they could skip the celebrity voices.

Though I suppose a lot of the appeal of the first movie is seeing them on the big screen.

• Options
    I just completed the main objectives in Pokitaru yesterday. Best planet in the game so far. And every single environment has been gorgeous. I don't care if they're re-imaginings of the PS2 games or not, but I really want Insomniac to keep developing R&C games for the PS4.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    In the movie, Ratchet uses the swingshot in a much more freeform way, since it wasn't limited to designate grapple points. I'd love to see them open up their level design to do something like that in the game.

• Options
    Yes! I was thinking the same thing @Dirty. The whole time he used the swingshot I was thinking that I'd love for some more open environments so that they could integrate the swingshot in a much more open way. I loved how he used the swingshot in the movie.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    The game has been so successful that I really hope Insomniac already have another game in the works.

I'm just hoping it's drawing in an actually decent amount of sales overall and it's not a matter of all the Ratchet fans buying it day one and then sales fall off a cliff.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yes! I was thinking the same thing Dirty. The whole time he used the swingshot I was thinking that I'd love for some more open environments so that they could integrate the swingshot in a much more open way. I loved how he used the swingshot in the movie.

so we're resolving the debate from before about best video game tie-in games by giving ratchet spiderman 2's swinging system?

I am okay with this

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    In the movie, Ratchet uses the swingshot in a much more freeform way, since it wasn't limited to designate grapple points. I'd love to see them open up their level design to do something like that in the game.

Already did that with the jetpack, basically. Just make it something that automatically recharges, or something that can be upgraded, and you have that in a nutshell.

The jetpack fights were some of the best parts of R&C, though the controls should be tweaked to make shooting while flying easier. Maybe make it a toggle switch instead of something you hold down.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

Already did that with the jetpack, basically. Just make it something that automatically recharges, or something that can be upgraded, and you have that in a nutshell.

The jetpack fights were some of the best parts of R&C, though the controls should be tweaked to make shooting while flying easier. Maybe make it a toggle switch instead of something you hold down.

Nah, the jetpack is just the "press button to go anywhere" item. That's why they limit it's fuel, because otherwise it would be too easy. I'm talking about opening up the swinging, which would still take some platforming skill for the player to reach new areas.

• Options

Nah, the jetpack is just the "press button to go anywhere" item. That's why they limit it's fuel, because otherwise it would be too easy. I'm talking about opening up the swinging, which would still take some platforming skill for the player to reach new areas.

Well I'll post my biggest complaint about that. R&C is a platform shooter, removing the platformer part (which this would do) and turning it into a sandbox shooter (which this would do), is an extraordinarily BAD idea. Every time R&C changed the game genre, it ended in tears. We JUST got a really good reboot of the original genre again, how about we not derail the formula after finally getting it right again after so long.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Deadlocked turned it into an arena shooter, and that was awesome. :P

None of the 'spin-offs' were outright terrible, just not as good as the core games. All-4-One is probably my least favorite, and even that I have fun with playing with my son.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The platforming part has always been incredibly secondary, even in the first couple games

They're at their best when functioning as a shooter

Hell, I started playing Going Commando after platting the new one and it genuinely bums me out then I can't pull left trigger to aim and pull right trigger to shoot, because that's a generally understood thing with shooters today and a scheme that the new game incorporates

• Options
    Deadlocked turned it into an arena shooter, and that was awesome. :P

None of the 'spin-offs' were outright terrible, just not as good as the core games. All-4-One is probably my least favorite, and even that I have fun with playing with my son.

They aren't bad, but they are a reason why funding started to dry up. Those games weren't successful like the platformer.

And honestly, I can't think of a good reason for R&C to use the Swingshot more. It's just to get him across long expanses, using it as a travel power just sounds silly. HE HAS A SHIP. How about expanding ship use and ship combat next game, just like they did with Going Commando.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

Well I'll post my biggest complaint about that. R&C is a platform shooter, removing the platformer part (which this would do) and turning it into a sandbox shooter (which this would do), is an extraordinarily BAD idea. Every time R&C changed the game genre, it ended in tears. We JUST got a really good reboot of the original genre again, how about we not derail the formula after finally getting it right again after so long.

Hey - Into the Nexus was really good and the most recent before this one!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Hey - Into the Nexus was really good and the most recent before this one!

That didn't change the formula, it's not one I'm talking about. That one just kinda felt like it went in the wrong direction story-wise. Ratchet just got a giant clue about where to find/save his race, and he gets sidetracked? It took the best story out of the games IMO and sidelined it, which I thought was a HUGE mistake at the time.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    The platforming part has always been incredibly secondary, even in the first couple games

They're at their best when functioning as a shooter

Hell, I started playing Going Commando after platting the new one and it genuinely bums me out then I can't pull left trigger to aim and pull right trigger to shoot, because that's a generally understood thing with shooters today and a scheme that the new game incorporates

The shooting parts need to be functional and easy to pick up, absolutely. But the platformer element was what made it unique. You eliminate that and just make it a shooter, it's basically Resistance with a Pixar overlay. I don't want that.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

I don't see how improving the use of a platforming tool = removing platforming. Like, that makes no sense to me. And I only said opening up the level design to make the swingshot more useful, not making it completely open world. Hell, if anything "removes the platforming", it's that jetpack.

• Options
    Yeah, slingshot mechanics are very in the same vein as platforming if not exactly the same. The Spiderman comparison I always draw is like that, where it's all about figuring out how to get from Point A to Point B in the most fun and efficient way possible while also getting the objectives done, just like a platformer--except you have a much more engaging and fast-paced movement mechanic than walking around and jumping between platforms.

Absolutely the pure platforming sections (like the Quark training course on Metropolis and the death maze on Quark's home base) were much weaker parts of the game. It's not the platforming that set R&C apart, it's the wide variety of wacky and powerful weaponry. Although I never played Resistance so I'm not sure what Insomniac did to mess that up.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Still plugging away at this, now in challenge mode. Got the trophies for using the groovibomb on every enemy type and getting up to maximum bolt multiplier today. It takes a really special game to make me want to play it to completion and then start doing it all over again, but I'll be damned if the moment-to-moment gameplay isn't some of the best available on the PS4.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it's so easy to jump right back into the Challenge Mode because you're so close to maxing out your normal weapons. Then you end up starting CM a second time, because you wanna top off your Omega weapons and max health.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oof... apparently the movie lost upwards of 10 million bucks. Game sold well enough, at least.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Yea, I'd be surprised if the Sly movie actually happens now.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Here's a pretty damn fascinating, in-depth postmortem of the new game. Turns out the movie guys helped out with the game.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oof... apparently the movie lost upwards of 10 million bucks. Game sold well enough, at least.

Trick with that though is the animation company was the only entity to lose money. Sony and Insomniac are fine, it's Rainmaker that made the mistakes.
    I'd be curious to see who greenlight what all they did, but I have to reiterate again. If your movie has famous actors voicing it and zero marketing, you're guaranteed to lose money.
    It also doesn't help that no one other than the main characters had personality. Only Dawson's character had any redeeming value, as a hero or villain. I mean it's hard to upstage Dr. Nefarious, but they didn't even try, and then they gave Nefarious shit time on screen. It was frustrating.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png