As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Steam thread for PC gaming and life-saving surgery

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't do a VLP for JA2, though. Realistically I play that game super-poorly so the only way to disguise it would be to do a screenshot LP.

I may start on a Soul Reaver LP tonight, though.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    trying out the sacred citadel demo

main menu music has lots of wubs going on, thats points off before we even get out of the gates

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy?

The cracked version is nearly identical to the real thing except for one detail… Initially we thought about telling them their copy is an illegal copy, but instead we didn’t want to pass up the unique opportunity of holding a mirror in front of them and showing them what piracy can do to game developers. So, as players spend a few hours playing and growing their own game dev company, they will start to see the following message, styled like any other in-game message:
    Boss, it seems that while many players play our new game, they steal it by downloading a cracked version rather than buying it legally.
    If players don’t buy the games they like, we will sooner or later go bankrupt.

Slowly their in-game funds dwindle, and new games they create have a high chance to be pirated until their virtual game development company goes bankrupt.

Some of the responses I found online (identities obscured to protect the guilty):
    Is there some way to avoid that? I mean can I research DRM or something …
    Why are there so many people that pirate? It ruins me!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I want the version where every time you try to make a game, someone else comes along and makes an exact copy except with ugly amateurish graphics and sells it for more than your game.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    For some reason.

I always think of shadowgate when I hear shadowrun...

Shadowgate was a horrible adventure game for NES.

No, Shadowgate was an awesome adventure game on the NES (originally for the Macintosh). It is also getting a modern remake, thanks to a successful Kickstarter!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I want the version where every time you try to make a game, someone else comes along and makes an exact copy except with ugly amateurish graphics and sells it for more than your game.

Is that a thing that happens now?

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

Is that a thing that happens now?

It has been known to occur

game-dev-tycoon-torrent-420x215.jpg

085661.jpg

• Options
    ValaganteValagante Pony on the run. Registered User regular

I want the version where you actually can add DRM to reduce the number of people buying your game (I mean it doesn't affect pirates in the slightest) and where your publisher forces you to either release a half-finished game and add the rest of content as DLC or have you whole studio shut down.

I don't take myself seriously.
    You shouldn't take me seriously either.
    Saints Row 1 just wasn't ridiculous enough.
  • Options
    I don't feel like making a game similar to one released in the 90's really fits with what you said, but sure.

• Options
    It's mostly that the game almost literally just is Game Dev Story

Except really ugly and lacking in any sort of visual charm whatsoever

So when they talk about how the pirates are hurting their profits and they're just a poor two man studio and woe is them, all I can think is "Well I guess that's awesome for the massive nine person studio you ripped off to make your game in the first place"

• Options
    edited May 2013
    that is some meta shit right there

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Circles within circles!

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Generally if you're making an inferior copy of something and charging more for it, you're not really some criminal mastermind because you're probably not going to have particularly robust sales. Game Dev Tycoon may be an aberration because of the publicity the game's getting for pranking people who pirate the game, but in general it's not a particularly sound business strategy.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Just did a video on Surgeon Simulator 2013.

It should be interesting, considering I was/am drunk during it.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Just did a video on Surgeon Simulator 2013.

It should be interesting, considering I was/am drunk during it.

Accurate to the simulation, then

• Options
    I did not do a heart transplant.

However, I did not not kill the patient immediately. It took me at least five minutes. The first time.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well you should see the pics I post on my steam about and how I recommened the game

• Options
    So far I have recorded three videos on Surgeon Simulator. Considering recording a fourth just to see if I can get that kidney transplant done.

• Options
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Can barely hear you over the music, might want to look into that. If you're using DXtory (If you aren't using DXtory, use it) you should be getting two different audio tracks so making one louder or the other quieter is pretty simple.

• Options
    I turned the music way down and when I play it back myself, I can hear it fine. Weird. I will totally use DXtory for future stuff, though.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Really? He sounds perfectly clear to me.

Mori, you are... a painter. A painter who only uses red.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGZ4XjcphGw

I DID IT

(I also successfully did the kidney surgery but as I've finally sobered up I should get to bed, those will be uploaded after I get back from vacation)

• Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Really? He sounds perfectly clear to me.

Mori, you are... a painter. A painter who only uses red.

rothko-a.jpg

?

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I don't know who that is Yaya but I don't think it's Ser Barristan Selmy

• Options
    I know who it is and what they did :(

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Share?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Share?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rothko

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I need a game to play with the lady friend that isn't too cpu intensive and relatively cheap

She loves the hell out of some zelda but will play pretty much anything

I thought league of legends and then laughed at myself

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh, that's some bullshit right there. It's sad enough that the guy killed himself, and then you go and defraud his charitable foundation?

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Fez in 3 hours! I was hoping that it had unlocked last night while I was asleep, but I guess not.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I need a game to play with the lady friend that isn't too cpu intensive and relatively cheap

Actually a surprising number of women play League.

broken image link
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I should probably get her to play with scrub league if I did do that

I would bet she'd have fun with the PA people

• Options
    Oh, that's some bullshit right there. It's sad enough that the guy killed himself, and then you go and defraud his charitable foundation?

Welcome to the world of Art as my mother would say

Also Jackson Pollock died in a rather metal way!

• Options

Actually a surprising number of women play League.

It's not the thought of a woman playing league

It's the sheer about of petulant rage that's not very fun to come across in any online game

Although if I stick to full pa groups that shouldn't be a problem. worth a shot to see if she likes the mechanics.

fuzzbutt any suggestions if someone has zero experience with rts games or moba games? I should ask in the gay thread.

• Options
    It's mostly that the game almost literally just is Game Dev Story

Except really ugly and lacking in any sort of visual charm whatsoever

So when they talk about how the pirates are hurting their profits and they're just a poor two man studio and woe is them, all I can think is "Well I guess that's awesome for the massive nine person studio you ripped off to make your game in the first place"

I don't get how they're ripping anyone off though? It's been more than a decade since Story was released on PC, and three years since it was ported to phones, there was some vague news about a possible eventual sequel around the same time as the port, but nothing since then as far as I can tell.

I guess I feel like this is calling Call of Duty a Medal of Honour rip off, although that was on a shorter time scale overall, I just don't see it personally. The one had been out for a couple of years, it's not like they planned a rushed shitty release to coincide with the other release and try to cut into their sales or something.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular

Behold

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/sg/en/pc/games/action/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light/#

• Options
    edited May 2013
    @Zen Vulgarity trine 2 has online coop and is a fun low-key pretty looking thing

I dunno if it fits the bill w/r/t cpu intensity

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    that looks cheap and fun

but I need to get her specs to make better calls on what to get

This discussion has been closed.