As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

where do I buy hairbrush, chemist? [fashion/beauty]

• ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Futore wrote: »
    many nights i am left to my devices wondering WHICH of the fashion thread babes could pull off snapbacks and sleeveless tees

It's me.

Zellpher on
    FutoreFAQBeasteh
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    Many actually can... it's a question of should.

"Never Hit"
    UsagiN1tSt4lker
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    pretty girls in snapbacks is always a winning proposition

FutoreSkeithBeastehAntimatterTheClarksterPeenTheodore Floosevelt
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    i got a haircut
    tumblr_mlsnk3SUNN1rdrhg0o1_1280.jpg

This sounds super weird but it's freaking me out how much I think you look like me (I look like you?) in that particular picture.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    What are snap backs? I don't think we have them here. Or I am just living in a bubble!

Ruby RhodBé Chuille
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    pretty girls in snapbacks is always a winning proposition

real talk itt^^^^^

legit want to see some of these beauty thread ladies in LA/hot NY summer streetwear now. think some could rock the hell out of it

ETqXK.png
    legit want to see some of these beauty thread ladies in LA/hot NY summer streetwear now. think some could rock the hell out of it
    Liiya wrote: »
    What are snap backs? I don't think we have them here. Or I am just living in a bubble!

speak of the devil...

ETqXK.png
    World as Myth
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Ignore the awful football team:

462px-Snapback_hat_all_views.jpg

That little red bit in the back is what makes it a snapback.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's always interesting when I stumble across something I know, but didn't realize had a name.

pookaMetalbournelonelyahava
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular

They're the ball caps with the plastic snaps in the back to adjust the size. They're definitely an American thing, but they've been exported all over.

Most cheap logo caps are snapbacks.

yeah, it's something that's had a resurgence in street fashion. per usual, @interrobang could probably give a bit more background for it

for me, it falls under the category of "I forever dislike hats, but girls get a pass because they're challenging usually male-dominated fashion categories"

ETqXK.png
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    While I commend and agree with your sentiment, I just think snapbacks are tacky.

"Never Hit"
    SkeithRuby RhodDonovan PuppyfuckerKilroy
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    I like hats.

I thinks it's partially because everybody was always giving me neat hats when I was real little, until I had a whole nifty collection.

I found out recently it was because I was always saying "you like hats? I'm maaaad about hats!" This of course had nothing to do with liking hats. I just really liked the mad hatter part of Carebears in Wonderland.

So I developed a liking for hats because people kept giving me hats because I didn't realize I kept telling people I really liked hats...

MadEddyFishman
    snapbacks have only started getting popular again

i remember back around 2002-2003 when everyone wore fitteds and only fitteds

the history of the snapback in urban and hip-hop culture is really fascinating imo; learning why it's so common to leave the sticker on the brim was a revelation to 14-year-old me

so i got off work relatively earlier tonight and am feeling productive. THUS, i'm finally going through my fashion bookmarks and organizing them correctly into who they remind me of--particularly forumers. yes, those "folders" i got shit for a little while back. truthfully they're just fashion moodboards of stuff that randomly reminded me of people. no more, no less.

anyways, i'm rather buzzed and it's hard and I've no idea why i kept some of these things. some of this should inspire NO ONE.

so far I've got separate groupings for 8 different lady forumers and a general SE++ PLEASE LOVE THIS STUFF folder. i'm about 1/20th of the way through. hopefully i'll start getting things posted over the next few days before i go insane

ETqXK.png
    interrobangpookaUsagiMadEddybowtiedsealAntimatterTheodore Flooseveltskettios
    yasssssssssssssss

Antimatterskettios
    edited April 2013
    it's funny. i can't help but filter all of the #menswear to either @Gatsby or @Aphostile. I'll try and find some things for our other gents soon. in the mean time, i've found in the folders some inspiration in the form of insanely bangable Marlon Brando:

3AuGr98.gif

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    pookaSassoriN1tSt4lkerOghulkMadEddybowtiedsealAntimatterGatsbyWorld as MythDirtyDirtyVagrantLost Salientskettios
  • AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    The last page was full of far too many pretty people. I'm full of snot, with the greasiest hair ever, and I'm supposed to be going on a date tonight. You all need to stop being so gorgeous so that I feel less hideous!
    Please keep posting pictures, this is the first thing I look at in the mornings

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    God i love that gif

FutoreGarret DoriganpookaUsagiBeastehSassoriOghulkMadEddyBrovid HasselsmofTheodore FlooseveltWorld as MythInfidelDirtyDirtyVagrantLost SalientNightDragonskettioslonelyahava
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Hah, snapbacks

Yeah those don't fit on my head

tynicKilroy
    Brando's a pretty swell dude.

"Never Hit"
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the history of the snapback in urban and hip-hop culture is really fascinating imo; learning why it's so common to leave the sticker on the brim was a revelation to 14-year-old me

Why is it so common to leave the sticker on the brim?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    'Cos if you take it off it leaves a sticky residue.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Also I am phone posting, someone please post the Key and Peele hat sketch for me.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    speaking of haircuts, a friend of mine gave me one a while back.
    28ldua.jpg

The real question is: do these glasses look any good? I've had 'em for a while, been wondering if I should switch things up.

l3icwZV.png
    TheySlashThem
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular

to show off the newness of it.

http://blog.asiantown.net/-/17945/ladies--for-your-treat--the-man-who-is-deported-from-saudi-arabia-for-being-too-handsome

Remember hearing about those men that were deported from Saudi arabia for being too handsome? We have pictures now! Meet poet/actor/photographer Omar Borkan Al Gala:

Omar-Borkan-Al-Gala-Dubai-20.PNG
    Omar-Borkan-Al-Gala-Dubai-05.PNG

The whole story is so strange. I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be deported. Awful, and also strangely flattering? Hopefully he and his friends can get a positive spin from this, at first I read they were from SA (which made the story kind of tragic) but instead they are from Dubai, or him at least.

FutoreVeldrinVALVEjunkieAntimatterMulysaSemproniusRuby Rhod
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    i actually think a wayfarer or more squared style would look pretty good on you, but i am apparently in a retro mode at the moment.

similar to this
    3b63c01f.jpg
    Zellpher wrote: »
    many nights i am left to my devices wondering WHICH of the fashion thread babes could pull off snapbacks and sleeveless tees

It's me.

ahem hem hem (first spoiler). just photoshop a cap on me and you're set.

the boots in the second spoiler are what i spent most of my moving/packing/loading time in!

and i just remembered, but someone was whistling "Thrift Shop" in the Dutch recycling store...

lfchwLd.jpg
    Futore
    yeah, i didn't want to single anyone out or lead anyone to feel left out as i genuinely would love to see lots of peoples rock that

but at the same time i would be lying if i said i didn't think of you when i was posting that, @pooka

ETqXK.png
    pooka
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

to show off the newness of it.

http://blog.asiantown.net/-/17945/ladies--for-your-treat--the-man-who-is-deported-from-saudi-arabia-for-being-too-handsome

Remember hearing about those men that were deported from Saudi arabia for being too handsome? We have pictures now! Meet poet/actor/photographer Omar Borkan Al Gala:
    Omar-Borkan-Al-Gala-Dubai-20.PNG
    Omar-Borkan-Al-Gala-Dubai-05.PNG

The whole story is so strange. I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be deported. Awful, and also strangely flattering? Hopefully he and his friends can get a positive spin from this, at first I read they were from SA (which made the story kind of tragic) but instead they are from Dubai, or him at least.

He kind of looks like an Arab Stuart Townsend.

Except without the creepy look.

and also @liiya and her new badass leather jacket side. really excited for the possibility of you adding some street style to your wonderous floral whimsy

ETqXK.png
    LiiyaAntimatterTheySlashThempooka
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    futore please give me a makeover

pooka
    FAQ, I've no idea what fashion or attaining apparel is like in Ireland. But, you are a legit handsome Irishman, and if you hopped over to the United States, you could positively--if i may use a colloquial term--

~~blow up some tang.~~

ETqXK.png
    pookaMadEddy
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want a suit.

You need two suits ideally.

I went with a black suit and a grey pin stripe suit (for weddings etc).

Suits be cool.

i've no idea what that means but it sounds like something I'd want nothing to do with

yeah, i didn't want to single anyone out or lead anyone to feel left out as i genuinely would love to see lots of peoples rock that

but at the same time i would be lying if i said i didn't think of you when i was posting that, @pooka

i can't think of anyone who'd look bad in the style, but i'd be particularly interested to see WaM and sali's interps. most of us would look like a flygirl or street team, in any case; in the styling department of my head, anti and muse look adorable. (anti in a flapper-style chiffon shift and hightops, muse going for that street b-ball urchin look with oversized jersey, capris and dainty heels. bangles for both.)

lfchwLd.jpg
    FutoreMadEddy
    yup. yes. uh huh. yeah to all of those. @Muse among men dress more like M.I.A. some times plzkthnxz

ETqXK.png
    edited April 2013
    welp, i was going to branch out and put this in the relationships thread, but it is closed and i felt a bit self-conscious camwhoring outside the comforts of this thread anyway. you can tell the baby is attached to my aunt today and yesterday, as i have actually been posting more again.

so, back in December, the beau and i decided to get our portraits taken since we don't have many photos together, much less looking nice. our parental units have asked at various points for pictures of us together, so it seemed like a good holiday present. the fashion thread got some of the background decisionmaking, but never saw the results. here they are (with some slight modifications from the prints!)

his pick
    anonnymooseme.jpg
    my pick
    anothernonnymooseme.jpg

we gave large framed versions of our respective favorites to our parents, along with a 4x6 of the other. i came around to liking his pick more as an objectively better picture, but i like our expressions in the second one. 8-> the first one is fun because she took it as we were walking up to meet her to start taking pictures. :rotate:

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    FAQOdinKarlOghulkIpseDixitMadEddyTheodore FlooseveltAntimatterTheySlashThemGarret DoriganSkeithRuby RhodFutoreASimPersonskettiosPoorochondriac
    Machwing wrote: »
    speaking of haircuts, a friend of mine gave me one a while back.
    28ldua.jpg

The real question is: do these glasses look any good? I've had 'em for a while, been wondering if I should switch things up.

I like a thicker frame these days myself

Futore
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    pooka why are you dating a cyber terrorist

an anime one, at that

Beasteh on
    OghulkNeoTomaAntimatterTheySlashThemWeedLordVegetaASimPerson
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    out of the blue two days in a row

left elbow in 2 dress shirts

completely blown out

that's like $120+ just out the door.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
This discussion has been closed.