As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

where do I buy hairbrush, chemist? [fashion/beauty]

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So what's the opinion on cowboy boots?

I don't mean cowboy boots with crazy ass chains hanging off them with the map of Texas itched on.

I mean tasteful looking cowboy boots like these:

products517_big.jpg

I like those. I like cowboy boots--nice, classic ones, not AMURICAHTEXASHURRAH cowboy boots. I think they work with a lot of semi-casual outfits. I could be slightly biased, though, since I've grown up in an area where classic cowboy boots are the go-to step up from sneakers.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    These are my latest boots

ae6fc93c-a8a8-4dc7-b92b-350914dd73ed.jpg

I do love them so.

easysig2.jpg
    cabsypookaVivixenne
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    k19CuyX.jpg
    zULKBbF.jpg

kid owns

EzUAYcn.png
    JayKaosTheClarksterTheodore FlooseveltPeenUsagiWorld as MythSkeithMadEddyThe BetgirlAngelinaTheySlashThemShortyDonovan PuppyfuckertynicpookaKilroyVeldrinTallaclasseeKochikensFutoreTamErin The Red
  • ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    So what's the opinion on cowboy boots?

I don't mean cowboy boots with crazy ass chains hanging off them with the map of Texas itched on.

I mean tasteful looking cowboy boots like these:

products517_big.jpg

I have these exact boots in brown, and I love them. Wear them all the time (in Chicago!) and I've never had anyone bat an eye.

I even wear them into the office on bus cas days.

Had them resoled four times now.

• ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    here's the first part of a neat interview about jeans from Derek (of Put This On) and Kiya (of Self Edge), talking about myths and old wives' tales and some of the questionable advice that gets tossed around about selvage denim

http://putthison.com/post/49940267405/denim-lore-part-i-jesses-excerpt-from-marc

@Futore
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm
    @denihilist
    part two:

http://putthison.com/post/50017643916/should-you-take-a-bath-in-your-jeans-and-other

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    These are my latest boots

ae6fc93c-a8a8-4dc7-b92b-350914dd73ed.jpg

I do love them so.

I'm not a person who would wear these, but these are some dang dope boots

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Those are actually the boots I'm planning to get when I have the cash. I admired them on @Langly first though.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I need some good white wingtips for summer and I am not having a whole lot of success in my size

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah those are pretty much my boots. they're super nice.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    He talks about them all the time.

I think he has a crush on you.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Not all the time. Just when I'm thinking about boots. I've literally never wanted a pair of boots in my life before I saw those.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Sometimes I get a little down when I make a little effort to look nice and the only people I will see are the ladies in my office and my cats (who are not technically people I suppose)

SassoriWorld as MythMadEddytynicVivixenne
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Sometimes I get a little down when I make a little effort to look nice and the only people I will see are the ladies in my office and my cats (who are not technically people I suppose)

I hate that too. It's also annoying if I try something a little different and no one notices at all. I worry that it must look really stupid and that is why no one said anything. But I don't want to ask anyone their opinion because then they'll be forced to say something nice.

bowtiedsealUsagiWorld as MythLiiyaVivixenne
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I will say as a guy that especially at work I don't know when it's appropriate to comment on a lady's outfit. I notice stuff all of the time but how do you say "hey you look nice today" without sexually harassing the person? According to our Sexual Harassment trainings you aren't supposed to make any kind of comment on a co-worker's appearance at all, for that reason.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Lick your lips a little before you say it and then moan a bit halfway through your compliment.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    "Hey you look nice today" is a pretty good way, though I think reserving it for people you're more friendly with already is probably a good idea. But yeah, judgement call since you don't want to make people uncomfortable.

Sassoribowtiedsealskettios
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    have you tried tastefully turning into a wolf and howling in their general direction?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I will say as a guy that especially at work I don't know when it's appropriate to comment on a lady's outfit. I notice stuff all of the time but how do you say "hey you look nice today" without sexually harassing the person? According to our Sexual Harassment trainings you aren't supposed to make any kind of comment on a co-worker's appearance at all, for that reason.

Yeah, a kinda unfortunate casualty.

You rarely see compliments from men to women around here, aside from occasional ones where people know each other very well. I'll see/get compliments on my looks from women though, cause that's "no big deal."

I deem it unfortunate but acceptable, since when it comes to actual creeps that needed to be dealt with by the harassment rules, they were always men.

Even though I got super sexually harassed as a teen when I was working retail as one of two male cashiers, I never felt endangered so welp.

OrokosPA.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    from those interviews:
    The longer you go without washing, the more prone your jeans are to crotch blowouts and “punch holes” behind the knees.
    this is why i need to wash my jeans more

i get crotch blowouts all da time

gonna get a bucketttttttt yeaaaaaaaaaah

poo
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the only people at work who i feel comfortable complimenting on appearance is ppl i'm friends with : O

poo
    everyone I work with wears scrubs

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Angelina
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    everyone I work with wears scrubs

"Are those the new Barcos? That colour is fantastic on you!"

OrokosPA.png
    furthermore, all our departments are color coded

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm going to exchange for a size down and see how that goes. This pink linen shirt owns bones though, as do the new leggings. Good lawd do I ever love Uniqlo leggings.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Donovan Puppyfucker
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm going to exchange for a size down and see how that goes. This pink linen shirt owns bones though, as do the new leggings. Good lawd do I ever love Uniqlo leggings.

Hecks yes, I adore my Heattech leggings

And theoretically my butt is small enough to fit into more Uniqlo stuff now so I should get some more!

the field of Theoretical Butts is my favorite

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Shazkar ShadowstormMadEddy
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    I prefer factual butts

kQwcZLJ.png
    AntimatterUsagiTheySlashThemASimPerson
    I only believe in the cold, hard butts in front of me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    you gotta theorize your butts before practical application, WaM, that's just science

ikbUJdU.jpg
    you gotta theorize your butts before practical application, WaM, that's just science

butt-talk this nerdy is askin' for a wedgie

f2ojmwh3geue.png

butt-talk this nerdy is askin' for a wedgie

the wedgie-less butt is just one result of theoretical butt research

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    "Hey you look nice today" is a pretty good way, though I think reserving it for people you're more friendly with already is probably a good idea. But yeah, judgement call since you don't want to make people uncomfortable.

It's just a weird thing. I'm the manager here so everyone that works here is my supervisee; between that and the unions I just duck the whole thing. Everyone looks nice all of the time, except when you're breaking the dress code because no tights are not pants sorry.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I work with almost all women currently, but it seems like "That's a nice dress/top/pair of shoes/hairdo" would be acceptable? I tend to just compliment articles of clothing rather than say something about looking nice. I'm not sure why. It seems like less of a mine field or something.

• Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    "That is a very well put together outfit. The colors and style compliment each other very well."

"Never Hit"
    I only believe in the cold, hard butts in front of me

Honey if your butts are cold you are doing something wrong

AntimatterMadEddyDonovan Puppyfucker
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    I work with almost all women currently, but it seems like "That's a nice dress/top/pair of shoes/hairdo" would be acceptable? I tend to just compliment articles of clothing rather than say something about looking nice. I'm not sure why. It seems like less of a mine field or something.

Yeah, really, complimenting something specific with clearly positive language is a safe way to go. Top, dress, pants, shoes, hairstyle seem like good ideas

if it comes to makeup it depends on how familiar you are with a person--make sure there's no vagueness. Like saying a new lip color looks good is nice, I suppose? I actually have never done this to my coworkers but it's how I'd go at it with friends

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Geth
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    We talkin' about boots in here?

IMG_20130128_230209.jpg

DrZiplock on
    AngelinabowtiedsealInfidelTheySlashThemMadEddyUsagiSkeithmullyDonovan PuppyfuckerLost SalienttynicpookaBlake Tskettios
    the field of Theoretical Butts is my favorite

I would have figured you'd prefer Applied Butts

World as Myth
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    We talkin' about boots in here?

butts

kQwcZLJ.png
    Usagi
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

I hate that too. It's also annoying if I try something a little different and no one notices at all. I worry that it must look really stupid and that is why no one said anything. But I don't want to ask anyone their opinion because then they'll be forced to say something nice.

Happily two people in my office have said I looked cute and one asked where I was going. This is an unusual return on my investment getting ready.

SassoriInfidelMadEddyskettios
This discussion has been closed.