As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anti-D&D Movie

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    3.5 will always be my fav.

It's just like 3, but Bards get a tiny bump.

4 didn't have bards on release, but I guess they were in a supplement?

Player's Handbook 2, yeah

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the real dnd starts here

PNk1Ml4.png
    Virgil_Leads_You
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Are they ridiculous?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    you know if you wanted a bard you could just make one

I honestly have no idea how wizards makes any money on these books

PNk1Ml4.png

Are they ridiculous?

they can multiclass like crazy and have class exclusive rituals

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    I'm sure I could have, had Ihad an opportunity to play 4.

It had some sort of multiclassing out of the box, yeah?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My gaming group and I watched Mazes and Monsters once.

It tried so hard, bless it, but the narrative was just all over the place and filled with shit tangential to the main plot which never got resolved.

If a film maker really wanted to put kids off playing D&D, they'd have a ten minute sequence of people arguing about the grapple rules and the narrative would be driven by an Internet-based edition war.

Although a plot where the 3.5 club's rec centre is getting demolished by Old Man 4th Edition could work.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

pretttty sure

they got rid of perform skills, though

the thing that made Bards special in 4e is the fact that they perform so well shit is magical

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    no more D&D for 10 years

Theoretically, this isn't a bad thing.

We don't need knew editions more than once a decade or so, really. And we don't need 4-6 supplements a year, either.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Donovan Puppyfucker
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Dead Alewives had this covered years back.

/Fly by night... mountain dewww

SageinaRage

pretttty sure

the thing that made Bards special in 4e is the fact that they perform so well shit is magical

Music should have been its own Power Source.

pretttty sure

i would have been entirely okay with a Sonics power source

edited April 2013
    The cool thing about 4e bards is

Yeah, they're music themed

But they don't have to be purely musical.

You could easily have a bard who's magic comes from the art of swordplay.

And that's kinda bad-ass.

They're not just exclusively musicians anymore, they're performance artists.

Tox on

pretttty sure

i would have been entirely okay with a Sonics power source

275px-ValHallen.jpg

Proficiencies: axes

AntimatterEncNaphtaliDonovan PuppyfuckerDirtyDirtyVagrantZonugalGatsbymasterofmetroid
    i love that gamma world has a Mythic origin that can be summed up as "offspring of a god, be it norse mythology, lovecraftian, or even scientology"

and that of the many crazy groups of mutants and people living in the wastes of gamma terra, there's one in particular called the Metal Gods which are exactly what it sounds like

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Why are all the avatars huge on my phone? Especially the agrees and awesomes.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    With Mazes & Monsters I really thought the guy with the hats who tanked the first game on purpose so he could get everyone to play something else was going to be the one who went crazy and tried to kill people.

Rhesus Positive
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I heard edition war.

Hello.

Also, there was going to be a bunch of different power sources, the only ones named and never really used were shadow and Ki/Chi. Shadow got a class that sucked because shadow always sucks, and they realized chi was basically power source: Japan so they scraped it entirely.

Also, every edition is superfluous, it's an entertainment product.

One isn't better and it's existence doesn't invalidate the next one.

Melding wrote: »
    I heard edition war.

Hello.

Also, there was going to be a bunch of different power sources, the only ones named and never really used were shadow and Ki/Chi. Shadow got a class that sucked because shadow always sucks, and they realized chi was basically power source: Japan so they scraped it entirely.

Shadow was used, but not fully (assassin). They ended up basically just making it a minor power source, tacking it onto others.

Elemental didn't get used, and basically got the same treatment, though most elemental classes ended up arcane.

I think a Ki source would have been awesome. It would basically have been Kara-Tur, but I would have been fine with that.

I still maintain the FR should be a super-setting, with various settings in it (Faerun, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, etc)

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I still maintain the FR should be a super-setting, with various settings in it (Faerun, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, etc)

It does have the superior background and world building stuff.

Plus, the Netherese are cool as fuck.

Eberron's my favorite setting in D&D standard. Hate to see it go away with Next, along with 4e's cosmology.

DichotomyZonugalDarth WaiterGatsbyCaulk Bite 6SageinaRage
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Why are all the avatars huge on my phone? Especially the agrees and awesomes.

Sometimes pages load weird. Happens to me all the time. Just refresh.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I'm a bard.

I have multiple haikus per attack that I read out.

Darth Waiter
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    In vicious mockery I tell a monster he has cankles not ankles.

Darth Waiter
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Mysst, would you believe me if I said that there's more rules for combat, but the Dungeon Master Guides and the recent Rules Compendium detail how to do non-combat encounters and interaction with NPCs quite comprehensively? Plenty of skill challenge rules and tips, but bad dungeon masters run encounters focused exclusively on combat.

I've tried running a 4e campaign a few times. The skill challenge/dc/skill use system is way less friendly for the DM than in Pathfinder. I think it's just the depth of skills allows in Pathfinder, and how they all work pretty much the same. Fourth edition has skills so regimented it becomes a lot of "Search check 47".

Granted, you can break the system and kind of mesh the two together (what I ultimately did). But, it requires a lot of house rules your players are familiar with. By the book, having a heavily skill based campaign is not as easy.

Only in 4e have I had this happen:

"I need search checks from everyone right as this encounter starts."
    *guy passes*
    "Ok, now I need...<X skill> <Y skill> and <Z skill> checks."
    "But <Y skill> isn't applicable in this situation."
    "... Christ dude, just roll the dice."

I think it's just an attribute of the 4e books being written very explicitly, where as Pathfinder skill descriptions are much more open for player/DM interpretation.

I've had that happen when I was playing 3.5. Its stupid but not really indicative of any system.

Quire.jpg
    Fishman
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've really wanted to do a Cyrano styled bard using that logic.

I've also always wanted to do a stage magician bard, but that never quite makes sense in D&D.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I had a Bard who had a warlock at-will power (I think that was a class ability, to pick a different class' at-will maybe?). I don't think he knew any songs either. He was mostly along for the chance at loot (not lutes).

He spent most of his time healing the barbarian though.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    I heard edition war.

Hello.

Shadow was used, but not fully (assassin). They ended up basically just making it a minor power source, tacking it onto others.

Elemental didn't get used, and basically got the same treatment, though most elemental classes ended up arcane.

I think a Ki source would have been awesome. It would basically have been Kara-Tur, but I would have been fine with that.

Ki would have been: Ninja, Samurai, shogun, and monk.

Like that was the four planned classes for Ki before they started really working on phb3.

I don't know about you, but i'm perfectly fine with the game not having Anime: The Power Source

Mysst, would you believe me if I said that there's more rules for combat, but the Dungeon Master Guides and the recent Rules Compendium detail how to do non-combat encounters and interaction with NPCs quite comprehensively? Plenty of skill challenge rules and tips, but bad dungeon masters run encounters focused exclusively on combat.

I've tried running a 4e campaign a few times. The skill challenge/dc/skill use system is way less friendly for the DM than in Pathfinder. I think it's just the depth of skills allows in Pathfinder, and how they all work pretty much the same. Fourth edition has skills so regimented it becomes a lot of "Search check 47".

Granted, you can break the system and kind of mesh the two together (what I ultimately did). But, it requires a lot of house rules your players are familiar with. By the book, having a heavily skill based campaign is not as easy.

Only in 4e have I had this happen:

"I need search checks from everyone right as this encounter starts."
    *guy passes*
    "Ok, now I need...<X skill> <Y skill> and <Z skill> checks."
    "But <Y skill> isn't applicable in this situation."
    "... Christ dude, just roll the dice."

I think it's just an attribute of the 4e books being written very explicitly, where as Pathfinder skill descriptions are much more open for player/DM interpretation.

I've had that happen when I was playing 3.5. Its stupid but not really indicative of any system.

True, I was just offering up my anecdotal evidence. It's more of a function of the player (the DM as well, but his campaign is his campaign) than the system. Some folks are literal folks, some folks are imaginative. My experiences with 4e have always had me battling against the "Rules as written" players instead of the "let's just have fun" guys.

That's not really anything other than an explanation. So there you go.

Explained.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    if D&D Next doesn't sell well enough, it will be scrapped, and no more D&D for 10 years

And I will be so happy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also Mazes & Monsters is worth it to see Tom Hanks go crazy.
    "And so... we played the game again... for one last time. It didn't matter that there were no maps... or dice... or monsters. Pardue saw the monsters. We did not. We saw nothing but the death of hope. And the loss of our friend. And so we played the game until the sun began to set... and all the monsters were dead."

Zonugal wrote: »
    Also Mazes & Monsters is worth it to see Tom Hanks go crazy.
    "And so... we played the game again... for one last time. It didn't matter that there were no maps... or dice... or monsters. Pardue saw the monsters. We did not. We saw nothing but the death of hope. And the loss of our friend. And so we played the game until the sun began to set... and all the monsters were dead."

That line makes me actually want to see the movie.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah that sounds like you could make a really good movie out of that line.

SOmething super-badish.

Quire.jpg
    Why are so many people frumpy about dnd next?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Because there are being changes made that they dislike.

This isn't a criticism of people disliking it, either! I know there are lots of legit criticisms about it. I just don't know the specifics.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Why are so many people frumpy about dnd next?

Because it's too iconic.

Everyone should see Mazes & Monsters.

Because at the core of the film it isn't about a role-playing game turning your crazy.

It's about a role-playing game unlocking the madness in Tom Hanks' character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGY1_LMiV-g

D&D Next is making poor design choices that don't mesh, design choices reminiscent of older editions to bring back customers who liked those editions, as opposed to doing what all ~four previous editions did, making changes in an attempt to improve the game.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I think they should just release print on demand and pdf version of earlier editions.

Also aren't RPG games subjective enough that what one person considers and improvement might be a downside to another person? It's all a matter of perspective. And it would be silly to say that previous editions haven't always been informed by the earlier ones.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Uriel wrote: »
    I think they should just release print on demand and pdf version of earlier editions.

they're already rereleasing pdfs and reprints of older stuff.