As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anti-D&D Movie

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Dubh wrote: »
    Those are words

But they aren't making any sense

entropomancy was the thing i talked about earlier in the thread, from Unknown Armies

you believe that all of existence is nothing more than a series of coincidences, random chance after random chance

by telling those chances to eat shit you don't care, you get power. pick a fight you'll probably lose (and survive), get a little. stare down a loaded gun and tell the other guy to fire (or pull the trigger yourself), get a lot (all of these powers involve influencing probability in some way)

do something absolutely balls out insane that, if not for sheer blind luck, will end in not only your death but the deaths of a whole bunch of other people, something just absolutely cataclysmicly risky, with a less than 0 chance of anyone walking away from (the example the book gives is hijacking a bus, closing your eyes, and swerving into oncoming traffic), and pull it off?

you get the power to influence history in a major way. you can nudge fate in a certain direction and not just subtly.

if you're really good you might be able to kill hitler early

or you might play it safe and fuck with the present (again, the example the book gives is "you win the lotto. all of them.")

but where's the fun in that

Buttlord on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Those are words

But they aren't making any sense

Buttlord.

Morivethgtrmp
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That does sound like an interesting evil character to play.

My posts were initiated by the feeling of sheer unadulterated horror I felt when I read your quote about causing someone else to unwillingly self-harm.

That actually made me physically shudder. I still feel uneasy.

My posts were initiated by the feeling of sheer unadulterated horror I felt when I read your quote about causing someone else to unwillingly self-harm.

even if they're not evil part of playing an adept (one of the dudes whose beliefs are so strong as to literally give them the ability to do magic) is that their world view is inherently warped by their tunnel vision

they're not sane

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Buttlord.

Straightzi
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I wish Buttlord were a novel so I could put quotes on the back of him.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

You mean warning labels, right

Abracadaniel
    edited April 2013
    Moriveth wrote: »

Buttlord.

great post, would read again

Buttlord on
    StraightziMoriveth
    Moriveth wrote: »

You mean warning labels, right

Yeah maybe a pack of cigarettes would've been a better metaphor.

i sure am glad that talking about things happens here and we don't just brush off people's posts by posting their name

Then again, I enjoy smoking when I'm drunk.

edited April 2013
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i sure am glad that talking about things happens here and we don't just brush off people's posts by posting their name

Buttles, can you try to explain this game without it just sounding like a man screaming a series of 90s adjectives?

Straightzi on
    Druhim
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part of Unknown Armies is still the weird rumors they put in the sidebars.

I would probably buy an Unknown Armies expansion book that was just that.

Buttles, can you try to explain this game without it just sounding like a man screaming a series of 90s adjectives?

it's kind of hard to explain but

it's an urban fantasy/occult game, think world of darkness without any sort of glamour to it

there's three tiers whose names escape me but let's go with street/global/cosmic (pretty sure this is actually the names, too)

street level is essentially hellblazer: the rpg. there's magic in the world that most people don't know about, and it's scary and dangerous and getting involved in it and in the world that knows about ti will probably get you killed unless you're really good and/or really lucky

global is where the stuff like entropomancy or whatever starts to come into play, it's a step beyond the street level. you start to see adepts, people whose beliefs in the way the world works is so strong that by engaging in activities that fit their worldview, they can do magic. likewise, doing things that go against that worldview remove their powers until they fall in line again

cosmic is about avatars: dudes and ladies who embody these ideas of people. like there's an idea of what a "king" or a "pilgrim" or whatever is, there's a guy who embodies that at its utmost, he is literally the personification of the idea of "being a king", and there's other people who embody that idea to various extents in different ways. these people are like adepts turned to 11 in terms of how focused their lives are. most of them spend decades trying to attain a certain level of embodying some cultural archetype, and if they do it well enough and play their cards right they can actually ascend to something like godhood and become the new concept of that thing

cosmic is hard as hell to explain

unironically, the best example i can come up with is pete and pete

you remember the episode where their dad is competing to be King of the Road with some other dad, and he beats the guy by being the true King of the Road and takes the license plate and title?

that's kind of what being an avatar who ascends is like

pete and pete is actually a really good example of street level Unknown Armies too. the thing about crossing time zones right as the clocks get turned back letting you time travel would fit nicely into a street level campaign

it's a really cool game and the rulebook is 40 bucks and the guy who wrote it is awesome and you should buy his stuff because i'm not nearly doing it justice

NeoTomaSkylark
    DE?AD wrote: »
    I think my favorite part of Unknown Armies is still the weird rumors they put in the sidebars.

I would probably buy an Unknown Armies expansion book that was just that.

i found a whole list of these once, i think my favorite was that the flying dutchman is real, but it's not just one guy. there's hundreds of them all around the world, doomed to travel through their mode of transport forever

so there's some poor schmuck who's stuck riding the subway in nyc

forever

also there was something about them being all-knowing about things in their purview? but i really just like that idea of the flying dutchman being stuck in an endless series of airport terminals or subway stations

NeoToma
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    It certainly sounds awesome.
    I do love the idea of personifications of ideals wandering around

Skylark
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I REALLY don't like insane PCs

It too often becomes an excuse for bullshit

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    StraightziTox
    NeoToma wrote: »
    It certainly sounds awesome.
    I do love the idea of personifications of ideals wandering around

there's also a thing about how the Invisible Clergy (the dudes and ladies who truly embody these ideas) are continually being replaced by more modern versions of the things they embody

like the Pilgrim being replaced by the Tourist

or the Messenger being replaced by the Heiseinberg Messenger (whose messages aren't about delivering truth but influencing your perception of it)

much like adepts these are people who live in a way that reflects the idea they're trying to embody. the pilgrim's avatars don't really have homes, they're continually traveling and dressing/behaving in ways that befit the Idea of whatever facet of the Pilgrim they're trying to embody

and, much like adepts, the better they are at it the more power they get

at the base level, the Pilgrim picks a goal and has a better chance of succeeding at things that help him achieve that goal

at the next level, he can travel great distances in a short amount of time (the width of the US or Australia, roughly, in a day, for example)

at just below ascension status all roads and doors are one to the pilgrim. he can be walking down a dirt road in bumblefuck kentucky and immediately be in london. and he can pass this on to other people for a limited time

for example

making it so every door an enemy tries to walk through leads to his closet for 24 hours

edited April 2013
    I REALLY don't like insane PCs

It too often becomes an excuse for bullshit

the rules for how adepts have to behave to get power and keep that power help circumvent that "i'm crazy watch me do wacky random zany shit LOL" bullshit

also insane isn't exactly the right word

it's not that they're completely detached from reality

they're just so hyperfocused on one thing, what they believe The Truth Of The World to be, that it skews their perception of everything

Buttlord on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Feels very American Gods

SkylarkAbracadanielSnowbear
    Basically it's World Of Dachocked full of weird modern mysticism and crazy-person logic (of which I am a big fan/creeped out by).

Rumors from the 2nd Edition:
    o In a small town in Alberta, there's a family that has not aged since the mother started sleeping 23 hours a day in 1981.
    o 17% of the population of North America isn't real.
    o There's a guy in Canada, blind from birth, who paints very pretty pictures of swans on old engine blocks. He says they're pictures of God.

Skylark
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    It actually looks a lot like Tim Powers stuff to me

I approve

Quoth wrote: »
    It actually looks a lot like Tim Powers stuff to me

I approve

if you read uhhhh

last call? is that the one with poker magic?

that's Unknown Armies

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Yup

And the sequel, with the people who eat ghosts

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    seems like that wouldn't be a particularly substantial meal

Donovan Puppyfucker
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Are you getting enough ectoplasm in your diet MrMonroe?

edited April 2013
    For whatever reason, I'm just a big fan of settings in which modern human existence is a thin shell around a reality that is about as safe and logical as your average fever dream.

This twitter account is constantly giving me inklings to run something Unknown Armies-ish.

DE?AD on
    Quoth wrote: »
    Yup

And the sequel, with the people who eat ghosts

i wasn't as hot on expiration date

last call though

last call had this whole bizarre fever dream logic underpinning the whole thing, that you got the impression made total sense internally, but looking in at it was just bizarre

that's Unknown Armies

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like Greg Stolze RPGs.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Buttlord, you sure have made Unknown Armies sounds good.

My alcoholic, degenerate thespian friends could probably play it pretty well.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Darth WaiterSkylarkNeoToma
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Buttlord, you sure have made Unknown Armies sounds good.

no the approrpriate post was to quote me and then just say "buttlord"

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013

Yes? Someone called?

EDIT:

@Yukira

@Moriveth

Algernon is dead. Long live Algernon.

However!

I fear that where Algernon was one, there may be Legion, The Rats In the Walls.

Darth Waiter on
    Moriveth
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Yes? Someone called?

But are you an actor!?!

take the @ sign out of that so it stops notifying me geeselords

Yes? Someone called?

EDIT:

@Yukira

@Moriveth

Algernon is dead. Long live Algernon.

However!

I fear that where Algernon was one, there may be Legion, The Rats In the Walls.

Is your name Willard?

Or your middle name?

Or are you related to anyone named Willard?

But are you an actor!?!

I was at one point. Two years in high school speech and debate, another year in college.

Pretty much a lifetime ago.

But are you an actor!?!

I was at one point. Two years in high school speech and debate, another year in college.

I'll take it.

Let me break down my crew.

There is my buddy Tristan who is a 25 year-old actor, jazz singer and comedian. Next is Jamie a 29 year-old actor, dancer and comedian who once did a stint in prison for drug-use. After him comes Frank a 40 year-old poet and comedian who used to be in the navy. Finally there is Mitch a 44 year-old former male-model current alcoholic who is going blind.

This is who I roll with.

But are you an actor!?!

I'll take it.

There is my buddy Tristan who is a 25 year-old actor, jazz singer and comedian. Next is Jamie a 29 year-old actor, dancer and comedian who once did a stint in prison for drug-use. After him comes Frank a 40 year-old poet and comedian who used to be in the navy. Finally there is Mitch a 44 year-old former male-model current alcoholic who is going blind.

This is who I roll with.

Yep.

Sounds like an acting crew.

But are you an actor!?!

I'll take it.

This is who I roll with.

Yep.

Sounds like an acting crew.

I forgot to include that Mitch is a magician.

Because every acting crew needs a wizard.

Darth Waiter
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh man,

three days to go!

Super sweet staircase up next!

(I am excited about the kickstarter bros)

I suppose this would be a bad time to tell you about the kickstarter that Itar's Dungeon has up for dungeon terrain and accessories. The walls are about half the height of the Dwarven Forge walls, but all their pieces (walls, floors, and accessories) are half the price of DF's equivalents, and they have a lot of odd little accessories available. Some of the pieces look, well, not so great - you can tell which pieces came out of a 3D printer - but overall there's some nice stuff in there that isn't in DF's kickstarter, and it looks like the pieces they have as add-ons in the kickstarter are cheaper there than they would be if you bought them through their store directly.

Tn8RVIF.jpg

those are literally just painted casts from Hirst Arts molds

I have that same mold right here

and about fifty different crates and chests and buckets and crates I've been painting this evening

you can get a mold for like $35, plaster for dirt cheap and have as many of those things as you could possibly ever want

8406wWN.png