As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Being [TRANS] Is Like Working In A Fish Market

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    all cultural values are manufactured traditions, really

i take offence to this. to apologize you must buy me no less then two hallmark apology cards.

a manufactured tradition about buying manufactured goods

how meta!

Now you have to buy her two apology apology cards.

well I mean

do I have to buy two cards and then two cards

or two cards and then two cards for each so therefore two and four?

Are apologies exponential?

Panorama investigates...

I buy two cards in the morning

I buy two cards at night

I buy two cards in the afternoon, and then I feel alright

I buy two cards in time of peace

And two and time of war

I buy two cards before I buy two cards

And then I buy two more

Donovan PuppyfuckerMetalbournelittle_punk_pupMild ConfusionSlacker71
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    it's so hard visiting family and just making idle chat and having to refrain from letting slip something like "kill capitalism" or "lay waste to extant nations such that no two bricks stand next to each other"

0BnD8l3.gif
    AneurhythmiaFire TruckcabsyGatsbyDonovan PuppyfuckerSeriouslyinterrobangPharezongtrmpVALVEjunkiechristianMortal SkyTheySlashThemGoatmonDirtyDirtyVagrantlittle_punk_pupAnialosBrian KrakowRuby RhodSTATE OF THE ART ROBOTSassoriSolarWhytherMetzger MeisterSlacker71
  • But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    Happy mother's day to all the other mothers up in here. Mine's not going too great, since my kids have decided today was the best possible day to get into a fight with each other and lie about it. Well that's pretty regular so I guess the day was really just coincidental.

On that topic, it might be interesting to talk about things unique to being a transgendered parent. For example, as soon as my fiance and I talked to the kids about it, the youngest (4) immediately took to using female pronouns, and corrects anybody who doesn't. Which can get pretty funny/awkward when she does it to my mom, who I haven't come out to yet. The oldest (8) hasn't quite caught on yet, and seems to be having trouble understanding the situation, but it's all good. I'm sure it'll be easier once I'm on hormones and generally putting more effort into presenting as female.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    it's so hard visiting family and just making idle chat and having to refrain from letting slip something like "kill capitalism" or "lay waste to extant nations such that no two bricks stand next to each other"

i don't know how serious you are being but that is an problem i run into sometimes.

Luckily it is usually met with "That's nice hunny" because my family is pretty dismissive.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Diamonds are not something people should look forward to buying

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

I usually have a hard time speaking over their concerns about Obama's true birthplace

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    SaraLunalittle_punk_pup
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gold is better than gems, at least gold has the awesome story of being made in the last moments of a dying star before being ejected into space, where it accumulated within the dust and debris of stellar space to one day end up coalescing into a planet. where it rests for billions of years before a sentient species emerges to discover it.

Buttcleft on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    But that's the same story behind all the matter on Earth other than hydrogen?

Speed RacerDonovan PuppyfuckerPlatyNeoTomaDirtyDirtyVagrantButler
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Gold is better than gems, at least gold has the awesome story of being made in the last moments of a dying star before being ejected into space, where it accumulated within the dust and debris of stellar space to one day end up coalescing into a planet. where it rests for billions of years before a sentient species emerges to discover it.

As far as I remember

anything that's not hydrogen had to be formed during the lifespan of an entire star

that shit is cool, no matter how you dice it

Miss me? Find me on:

TefDarmak
    edited May 2013
    Yeah but gold, in particular, is made in the last seconds before/during supernova iirc. Which makes it neat. Gold you are wearing on your body is literally older than the earth, potentially billions of years older than the earth.

Buttcleft on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

As far as I remember

anything that's not hydrogen had to be formed during the lifespan of an entire star

that shit is cool, no matter how you dice it

Stars are pretty neat, as is the fact they manufacture a ton of heavy elements. But the insane amount of energy and speed involved in a proper supernova is mind-boggling and sexy as hell. Any run-of-the-mill Sunlike star will make Carbon, Nitrogen, and Oxygen... but only a supernova can involve parts of a star falling in on itself at a quarter the speed of light, only to have a massive wave of neutrinos of all things smack it all into space.

you know it's not just gold, though!

a whole bunch of other elements form in the initial collapse of the star, before it goes proper supernova

god, everyone just wants to talk about gold all the time

Miss me? Find me on:

Dubh wrote: »
    you know it's not just gold, though!

a whole bunch of other elements form in the initial collapse of the star, before it goes proper supernova

god, everyone just wants to talk about gold all the time

Hey lets talk up some Osmium or Iridium then.

Or we could go all 'Murricuh and talk about Americium

a few years back I recall there being a new discovery about the metallicity (any element in a star that's not strictly hydrogen) in globular clusters (which are typically made up of older stars)

in a few globular clusters, they noticed that there high mass stars that had a lower than expected metallicity (as the universe ages and becomes more chemically diverse, stars become less "pure" the later they form)

high mass stars have a shorter lifespan than lower mass stars, which means they should be too young to be as pure as they were

until someone theorized that the reason this was happening, was because stellar masses were merging and combining their hydrogen fuel, becoming higher mass stars in the process

god DAMN I love astronomy

Miss me? Find me on:

UsagiDonovan PuppyfuckerDirtyDirtyVagrantAnialosMild Confusion
    A few years ago, I was considering transferring into UC Santa Cruz on the track to an Astrophysics degree
    Fun fact: Besides being known for weed and Psych majors, UCSC has one of most recognized Astrophysics program in the United States. It's plain ol' Physics is even more well-regarded.

Anyways, I was all set to go for it, and then a pre-calc class decided to break this dream on its knee. I'm just not a math person- I gave it my best shot, it didn't work out.

That's okay, though. I'm still very passionate about my writing!

Miss me? Find me on:

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I hear you Dubh, it was a close call between engineering and astronomy for me

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Hey @Antimatter, if you ever need an emergency ride out of the house and to Seattle, I've always been looking for an excuse to go cross country.
    Real talk: I am totally willing to help out. I'd need a few hours to get to Michigan but I enjoy driving. Hope you don't mind a janky-ass SUV.

DirtyDirtyVagrantskettiosAntimatterAnialosSlacker71
  • But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    I just shaved. Shaving sucks. The worst part is when I'm done, before putting my glasses on, and seeing myself in the mirror all like, "Wow, what a huge improvement!" and then putting my glasses on and it's like, "Nope, that's still my face."

You can even still see, like, stubble. Blargh I say!

MetalbourneGoatmonShivahnAntimatterHalos Nach Tariff
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Sarah. Which is a name I really like so I would have been totally happy with that.

I laughed far too hard at this.

way harder than I should have.

at work.

(the joke for the others in the class, my name is Sarah and Infidel is like 11 days older than me. Hence why I find this hysterical. carry on)

had I been a boy, I would have been Geoffrey. And up until about 6 weeks before my birth I was going to be a Samantha. but then my great grandmother Sarah died and I got her name!

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Oh! If I had been born a boy I would have been James, but my Dad was able to sneak it in as my middle name regardless

• TamTam Registered User regular
    I tell you what, that one dude with his shaving snobbery thread was a bore, but shaving with a safety razor is excellent and way cheap, relatively speaking

Mysst
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    No way, that shaving thread was awesome. I love reading about how into stuff people get, even when I think it's dumb as fuck like shaving or denim or what have you. Their excitement is contagious and their enthusiasm shows when they talk about it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • little_punk_puplittle_punk_pup Sex Sprite Cat BusRegistered User regular
    Well this is my first Mother's Day.

It's weird that people are wishing me a happy Mother's Day. Not really weird so much as unexpected. But, as it was explained to me, I'm a lady who's helping to raise three kids, so that makes me a mom.

Still, it's fucking weird.

Happy mother's day! (Insert inappropriate comment about you being a milf)

Pants.

Lose them.

...I'm already naked... ;)

I remember quite a few of you too.
    Hi i'm a 30 something transman from the UK, just wanted to say thank you for this thread I'm more than sure its helping alot of people.

Hey there! Now I'm not the only transguy! :-)

Hi, yes its like we are a minority within a minority! Plus I am just embarking on my transistion.

Oh cool! I am about 6 years into my transition. Let me know if I can do anything to help! :)

Hi i'm a 30 something transman from the UK, just wanted to say thank you for this thread I'm more than sure its helping alot of people.

Hi, yes its like we are a minority within a minority! Plus I am just embarking on my transistion.

Oh cool! I am about 6 years into my transition. Let me know if I can do anything to help! :)

I don't know if it's okay to ask but I'm going to anyway so feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you want and stuff, but how long does it usually take a person to fully transition? Or is it an ongoing process for forever? Is it different for each person?

JtgVX0H.png
    It's really strange when someone uses female pronouns when referring to me, even though I have a beard right now. (this happened today with my step fathers family) This is no longer a case of "oh, silly cis me, I forgot". But basically a statement of, "I know you prefer mele pronouns and claim to be a guy, but I refuse to see you that way. I'm going to use female pronouns because, fuck you."

Donovan PuppyfuckerTamTheySlashThem
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    That is going to vary on a gamut of things, such how far you want to go, how much you can afford (shit is expensive and still not covered by a lot of insurance companies), and your own genetics.

I think, earlier in the thread, they (Anti?) said that taking hormones is a forever thing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    little_punk_pup
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I don't know if it's okay to ask but I'm going to anyway so feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you want and stuff, but how long does it usually take a person to fully transition? Or is it an ongoing process for forever? Is it different for each person?

Different for each person. There's no set goal except the ones you set for yourself.

little_punk_pupRuby Rhod
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Different for each person. There's no set goal except the ones you set for yourself.

No fate but what we make?

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

No fate but what we make?

Yeah, like that. Except the evil robots aren't trying to kill us nearly so much as the other survivors.

Oh, that makes sense! Thank y'all for the replies!

JtgVX0H.png
    No way, that shaving thread was awesome. I love reading about how into stuff people get, even when I think it's dumb as fuck like shaving or denim or what have you. Their excitement is contagious and their enthusiasm shows when they talk about it.

I'm talking about that bluefoxicy guy
    he was a dick

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I don't remember him in the shaving thread.

edited May 2013
    oh wait that was a D&D thread
    whooops
    sorreee

edit: or wait was it
    what the who
    I definitely remember something about him and shaving
    maybe it's curtains for my brain

Tam on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    whooops
    sorreee

what the who

he showed up in SE for a while.

I can confirm your story.

Aneurhythmia
    Melding wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    whooops
    sorreee

what the who

he showed up in SE for a while.

I can confirm your story.

Yeah, his shaving thread was here because I don't go to D&D

JtgVX0H.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    someone remove my brain from my body or just blow it up thanks in advance

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    someone remove my brain from my body or just blow it up thanks in advance

nuh-uh

lonelyahavaDichotomyTamGatsbyDonovan PuppyfuckerTrippyJingWeedLordVegetaMoth 13AnialosPersonfaceVALVEjunkieTheySlashThemDuxSCREECH OF THE FARGUsagisimulacrum
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    some help you are

This discussion has been closed.