Options

Falconire's Art - Markers/India Ink [NSFW] Critiques Welcome

falconirefalconire Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Artist's Corner
It's been several years since I was last on here, and I had a lot of really bad experiences when I was on here. My work at the time was pretty amateurish, sometimes very crude, and I wasn't used to being critiqued. I defended myself pretty harshly, which I still feel I had the right to do, and probably made a terrible name for myself as a result. However, four years have passed since then. I try to take critique as best I can these days, with the understanding that not everyone will like my work, and even now it often has flaws.

I'm currently attending a community college in Southern California, planning to transfer (or start applying anyways) in about a year. I've taken four drawing classes, plus several art history classes, a two dimensional design class, and a few others in this time. I'm a fine arts major, with the aim of working as a professional artist, teaching art on the college level if I have to in order to pay the bills, but in the mean time I also sell art as well. I've done a lot of more realistic art compared to my earlier cartoony/superheroic art, as well as a lot of abstract art. Currently I've been working on a series of drawings called "Madness", which involve insane creatures with all sorts of mouths and eyes and such (my current profile pic is one of them). I won't post the links but I maintain a deviantart profile under my screen name here, as well as a Tumbler account under "Roadkilraven" if anyone wants to watch/follow me at any time (which is appreciated).

Anyway, I'll be posting some work here, not all of which will be my current stuff. I have a few things I'd like to get some opinions on from the last two years, but I'll only post the drawings from the past that I feel are my best works, rather than just anything.

MadnessoftheBlueMonsters.jpg

"Madness of the Blue Monsters"

15.5 inches by 19.5 inches on Watercolor Board with Prismacolor Art Markers, and fine and ultra fine point Sharpies.

This drawing is currently on display at the SBVC Art Gallery annual Student Show. It's an odd size so framing it was a little more expensive than usual (around $40, counting the cost of the Watercolor Board I used to draw it on).

Entropy-UrbanAgglomerationVsTheNaturalOrderoftheUniverse.jpg

"Entropy: Urban Agglomeration Vs The Natural Order of the Universe"

18 by 24 inches on paper with Prismacolor Premier Art Markers and fine and ultra fine point Sharpies.

This drawing has been entered into the same show as the drawing above (although I haven't received confirmation that it's in the show as of yet). It's based on a Kazimir Malevich (I hope I'm spelling that right) painting called "White Square on White", only using a different medium, and my own design patterns.

Command.jpg

"Command"

18 by 24 inches on paper with Prismacolor Premier Art Markers and fine and ultra fine point Sharpies.

This drawing has gotten a lot of attention, and I have two people interested in buying it. Obviously it's NSFW. I found that the markers I used tend to run out faster if they are the lighter tones for some reason after finishing this.

falconire on

• Options
    Two more images. I'm trying to put up a range of drawings.

A-Street-Corner-in-Redlands.jpg

"A Street Corner in Redlands"

18 by 24 inches on paper with fine and ultra fine point Sharpies

In my more modern drawings I no longer put the title on the front of the drawing.

Starry-Night-Pastiche.jpg

"Pastiche of Starry Night"

18 by 24 inches on paper with fine and ultra fine point Sharpies.

Looking back on this one, which is hanging on my wall above my bed at the moment, I would have done the moon a bit differently, I wouldn't have put the title on the bottom, and I would have spent more time drawing the village in pencil since it's a little off compared the original image.

• Options
    Okay, here's two more drawings. Critiques and comments are welcome.

FluidEnviroment.jpg

"Fluid Enviroment"

Late 2012

8 by 19 inches on blue poster board with Prismacolor Premier Art Markers, and ultra fine point Sharpie.

This was something I did for fun on a piece of poster board that someone in class had thrown out.

Skull.jpg

"Skull"

Late 2011

Based a photo from an anthropology book I had of an early hominid skull. Looking back I would not have added the color effects to it as a background nowadays.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Its hard to critique this kind of work without getting into personal opinions about art, artistic growth, and just being generally open and honest about personal aesthetics.

I would really recommend posting studies and observation drawing that is meant to be true to real life, and thats just so that you can get honest feedback on basic technical skills. Its basically the neutral zone where personal aesthetics matter much less. "I drew this apple on my desk, is the perspective correct?" has a yes or no answer to it. Doing those types of drawing help us critique, and help you gauge your own knowledge. You will know instantly what you suck at when you try to attempt realism, it may be measuring, observation, color, perspective, any number of things.

That being said I'm going to post some opinions on the work here, But I really want to preface it with the fact that there is nothing but a desire for your improvement in my comments.

these are the best two drawings in the thread:
    falconire wrote: »
    Two more images. I'm trying to put up a range of drawings.

A-Street-Corner-in-Redlands.jpg

"A Street Corner in Redlands"

18 by 24 inches on paper with fine and ultra fine point Sharpies

In my more modern drawings I no longer put the title on the front of the drawing.

Starry-Night-Pastiche.jpg

"Pastiche of Starry Night"

Looking back on this one, which is hanging on my wall above my bed at the moment, I would have done the moon a bit differently, I wouldn't have put the title on the bottom, and I would have spent more time drawing the village in pencil since it's a little off compared the original image.

You show an understanding of the material, you do justice to the subject matter, they look refined and finished. Success in fine arts requires attention to all parts. If something looks crude it is intentionally so, if something looks messy, it generally has a reason. Excellent fine artists usually have a mastery of their materials, even if part of using that material is unpredictable.

When I look at your marker drawings and see messy fills, It does not strike me as intentional, or a happy accident. Get different paper and work on smoothing things out. Make something perfect, and then, if you desire, work backwards to use evident strokes to your advantage. Your blacks should be solid blacks. If the markers won't give it to you, ink will. Time and care can take painfully simple works and make them amazing. Thats why we work on our craft and our technical skills. Execution is everything.

Keep studying, and keep working with different materials. Don't settle for imperfect solutions, if the paper you have won't allow you a smooth surface, or the markers you have won't, you need to expand to new tools.

So, I hope you post some studies, and keep pushing yourself on your work.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Iruka. Thanks for the critique and comments.
    Its hard to critique this kind of work without getting into personal opinions about art, artistic growth, and just being generally open and honest about personal aesthetics.

I see your point. Art is very subjective.
    I would really recommend posting studies and observation drawing that is meant to be true to real life, and thats just so that you can get honest feedback on basic technical skills. Its basically the neutral zone where personal aesthetics matter much less. "I drew this apple on my desk, is the perspective correct?" has a yes or no answer to it. Doing those types of drawing help us critique, and help you gauge your own knowledge. You will know instantly what you suck at when you try to attempt realism, it may be measuring, observation, color, perspective, any number of things.

I don't have a lot of studies done. Most of my work is a finished product. I have been meaning to take a lifedrawing class at some point though. I do see your point though.
    You show an understanding of the material, you do justice to the subject matter, they look refined and finished. Success in fine arts requires attention to all parts. If something looks crude it is intentionally so, if something looks messy, it generally has a reason. Excellent fine artists usually have a mastery of their materials, even if part of using that material is unpredictable.

When I look at your marker drawings and see messy fills, It does not strike me as intentional, or a happy accident. Get different paper and work on smoothing things out. Make something perfect, and then, if you desire, work backwards to use evident strokes to your advantage. Your blacks should be solid blacks. If the markers won't give it to you, ink will. Time and care can take painfully simple works and make them amazing. That's why we work on our craft and our technical skills. Execution is everything.

The messy fills are one of the issues I've come across when working with markers. To some extend the scan tends to bring out the defects a lot more than if you saw the original. For example the "Entropy" drawing, where you can see clearly see some of those "messy" marks. The scan also didn't pick up a lot of the yellow outlining I did on it too. I am always looking for new techniques to get around that though. In a few of my more recent drawings I've gone over certain spots a couple more times and it tends to look a little better. I've also tried using ultra fine point colored pens in many large colored areas, which tends to cover up the "messy" look for the most part.

You mentioned ink as well. I have a couple of drawings in India Ink, which I intend to put up here as well. I tend to prefer the amount of control that a pen gives me over what can be done with a brush, but then again a brush is a bit more expressive. I have heard that there are colored inks I could buy so I might try them out at some point.
    Keep studying, and keep working with different materials. Don't settle for imperfect solutions, if the paper you have won't allow you a smooth surface, or the markers you have won't, you need to expand to new tools.

So, I hope you post some studies, and keep pushing yourself on your work.

Again, I appreciate the critique and advice. If I do any studies in the near future I'll post them here, but in the meantime I'll keep posting what I have scanned.

Edit: I wanted to add that I picked these seven pieces (out of chronological order in which I made them) to show more of a variety of the work that I normally do. I didn't just want to post just portraits, or just landscapes, or just abstract, etc. I tend to try out a lot of new techniques (although most often with pen), which don't always turn out perfect, but then again experimentation sometimes results in odd creations. Anywho, as you noted above, people have different tastes in art so I figured a good variety would appeal to different people in different ways.

falconire on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I'd much rather you bump threads for new work rather than keep posting old work. It keeps people who are actively working on something on the front page, which is why we have rules against posting old art. Do post some studies when you have them, and if you are working on something currently, feel free to post that.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I'll stick mostly to more current stuff then, although I have a few pieces (nothing older than a year for the most part) that I might throw in amidst the newer stuff just to get some opinions on it. Most of what I've posted is also work I'm developing for my portfolio for when I transfer to a University (starting with the two drawings from 2011/early 2012), so getting feedback on them means a lot, and I often revisit my earlier work to see where I have improved, and what qualities I'd like to keep from that work.

Edit: I wanted to add that about half of these drawings were produced for a Two Dimensional Design class, and four Basic Drawing classes. Since I've finished all my drawing class requirements in the next year I'm hoping to take a life-drawing class (as noted above), two painting classes, and possibly a graphic design class, all depending on whether I can fit it all in my schedule over the next year along with two or three other G.E. classes.

falconire on