As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Thrones is a TV Show on HBO (NO BOOKS, Y'ALL) S3 Finale June 9!

• Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Is executing the Karstark guy what Ned would have done? I get the feeling that Robb thinks so, and felt like he had to do it, even though based on the way it played out it seems like he didn't want to. Or maybe he did it because he got taunted into it, not wanting to appear weak. Probably both. Good luck with Walder Frey I guess.

Ned totally would have done it. The question is, what would Ned have done with Cat after she released the Kingslayer?

Personally, I don't think she'd have the stones to try that shit on Ned. I'm pretty darn sure she knew she had a golden parachute due to Robb being her son and him still being new to ruling. So toss that in with her shitting on Jon all his life and you have a recipe for someone I don't root for.

Best thing she did in the story was bring along my amazon princess. /swoon

Judging by her willingness to grab a valyrian steel dagger with her bare hands to defend her son from an assassin, I think Cat would have risked death to herself to save her daughters.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    At least he cut through Karstark's head on the first go. Unlike SOME Greyjoys we can name...

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Is executing the Karstark guy what Ned would have done? I get the feeling that Robb thinks so, and felt like he had to do it, even though based on the way it played out it seems like he didn't want to. Or maybe he did it because he got taunted into it, not wanting to appear weak. Probably both. Good luck with Walder Frey I guess.

Ned totally would have done it. The question is, what would Ned have done with Cat after she released the Kingslayer?

Personally, I don't think she'd have the stones to try that shit on Ned. I'm pretty darn sure she knew she had a golden parachute due to Robb being her son and him still being new to ruling. So toss that in with her shitting on Jon all his life and you have a recipe for someone I don't root for.

Judging by her willingness to grab a valyrian steel dagger with her bare hands to defend her son from an assassin, I think Cat would have risked death to herself to save her daughters.

I think her relationship with Ned would have had each of them better understanding what the other would be likely to due. Robb was still a kid who viewed his Mom as his Mom and not a person. Ned might have realized what she'd do. She'd at least have somebody a bit more likely to offer comfort than her teenage son who became a King.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

I think her relationship with Ned would have had each of them better understanding what the other would be likely to due. Robb was still a kid who viewed his Mom as his Mom and not a person. Ned might have realized what she'd do. She'd at least have somebody a bit more likely to offer comfort than her teenage son who became a King.

No disagreement. I just wanted to point out that her thought process in freeing the Kingslayer wasn't "Robb wouldn't do anything to me, so I can do this", it was probably more along the lines of "I don't care what they do to me, I'm getting the girls out of King's Landing".

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Also, the lady that plays Olenna Tyrell is killing every scene she's in.

Dame Diana Rigg. When I heard she was cast, I was so happy - big Avengers fan here. Even if she doesn't look quite like this anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7OjUBLUKSM

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The casting for the show has been so incredibly good and that's no easy feat with a cast of this size.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

Dame Diana Rigg. When I heard she was cast, I was so happy - big Avengers fan here. Even if she doesn't look quite like this anymore...

She kicks really, really high.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Oh, cool. The name and the face were *vaguely* familiar, but I'd given up trying to place them. "Diana Rigg is the Queen of Thorns" seemed good enough for a default association.

• Options
    DmgedGoodsDmgedGoods Registered User regular
    So a thought occured to me after this episode. How is Shae going to take to Tyrion's new fiancee'? She sure wasn't happy when all he did was say Sansa was a beautiful girl.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    DmgedGoods wrote: »
    So a thought occured to me after this episode. How is Shae going to take to Tyrion's new fiancee'? She sure wasn't happy when all he did was say Sansa was a beautiful girl.

That is going to be a fun conversation... and by fun I mean, he's probably going to get another scar or two.

I can already hear her saying something akin to "... and you just always do what your father says?"

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Lannister cousins & nephews should now wear red shirts, for easy identification.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Wow, Emma Peel? I had no idea but I like it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also the only woman to marry James Bond!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Wait, she was Moneypenny too? Damn. Next you'll be telling me she was a Doctor Who companion.

To IMDB!

AD's terrible opinions spoiler:
    Lazenby is my favorite Bond.

Edit: Apparently she will be on the next episode of Dr. Who.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2204480/
    Every British actor crosses paths with the Doctor at some point. I think it's in the Magna Carta.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

Wait, she was Moneypenny too? Damn. Next you'll be telling me she was a Doctor Who companion.

To IMDB!

Not in her fantasies, in actuality. She was in the forgotten Bond, OHMSS.
    Blofeld kills her pretty much immediately after the wedding

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

This is the woman who went and captured Tyrion for no better reason than because she hated the Lannisters.
    Ned backed this decision even though he learned about this much much later and even though denying personal responsibility or apologizing would've made his life much easier.
    Ned's the sort of guy who goes down with the ship because of honor and stuff. It's why he's dead.

So no, I don't believe Ned would have handled it better.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited April 2013

To IMDB!

Not in her fantasies, in actuality. She was in the forgotten Bond, OHMSS.
    Blofeld kills her pretty much immediately after the wedding

I thought that was Moneypenny. I will deduct the appropriate number of Bondfan-points.

I will be in the shame-hole if anyone needs me.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Young Diana Rigg also has a pretty uncanny resemblance to Natalie Dormer, which goes even further to show how amazing the casting is. Though Rigg was far more attractive, if you don't mind me saying.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i said in the last thread that their last conversation about Sansa would lead to something, but i never would have guessed at this turn of events. Tyrion is right about it being cruel, and with Shea's involvement its just going to be awkward. just proves that everything in this show is important, especially at the beginning of each season.

cant wait to see how things work out for Podric, Love god of Westeros. :P

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

i said in the last thread that their last conversation about Sansa would lead to something, but i never would have guessed at this turn of events. Tyrion is right about it being cruel, and with Shea's involvement its just going to be awkward. just proves that everything in this show is important, especially at the beginning of each season.

cant wait to see how things work out for Podric, Love god of Westeros. :P

I loved the delivery from Tyrion "That's cruel... even for YOU".

Almost didn't catch it because they were speaking over each other, but a great line nonetheless.

• Options
    a great line in an amazing scene. all 3 were on top form and seeing the switch in Cersie's mood as Tywin proved that she really isn't as smart as she thinks she is was glorious.

really cannot wait to see how Tywin handles Joffrey.

• Options
    So, the Lord of Light provides resurrection and Bigby's Flaming Sword spells...

Yeah, I'm seeing this going places. I wonder also if this ties into "that voice" which Varys heard answer his castrator.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

That is going to be a fun conversation... and by fun I mean, he's probably going to get another scar or two.

I can already hear her saying something akin to "... and you just always do what your father says?"

I think it's pretty obvious to everyone involved that this is a sham marriage. Can't imagine Shae would be able to be too upset about it.

• Options
    a sham marriage that's expected to produce at least one sham son. i can't imagine Shae being overly thrilled at that idea.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

I think it's pretty obvious to everyone involved that this is a sham marriage. Can't imagine Shae would be able to be too upset about it.

While we know this to be true, she might not take it that way. It will be a question of whether that fiery temper will be overcome by intellect. Jealousy is pretty powerful.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

oh god I want all her outfits

• Options
    Yeah, Tywin made it clear that he expects Tyrion to get her pregnant.

• Options

While we know this to be true, she might not take it that way. It will be a question of whether that fiery temper will be overcome by intellect. Jealousy is pretty powerful.

It's not uncommon for Lords to have mistresses. Even Shae would know that a Lannister son would never be allowed to marry a whore.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if the sham marriage doesn't get consumated, or even happens at all. Seemed like a pretty standard Littlefinger ploy to get Sansa to leave with him (now that the alternative is Tyrion, not Loras)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular

This is the woman who went and captured Tyrion for no better reason than because she hated the Lannisters.
    Ned backed this decision even though he learned about this much much later and even though denying personal responsibility or apologizing would've made his life much easier.
    Ned's the sort of guy who goes down with the ship because of honor and stuff. It's why he's dead.

So no, I don't believe Ned would have handled it better.

To be fair, she took Tyrion hostage because she trusted Little Finger(he told her the knife used to attack Bran belonged to Tyrion)

• Options
    edited April 2013
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if the sham marriage doesn't get consumated, or even happens at all. Seemed like a pretty standard Littlefinger ploy to get Sansa to leave with him (now that the alternative is Tyrion, not Loras)

Well it's a smart play for Tywin as well. I doubt Littlefinger had much to do with this particular development.

The Lannisters get a claim on Winterfell if they win the war, and even if they lose she is still a valuable hostage when dealing with the North (or annulling the marriage is a good bargaining chip in the peace negotiations, etc).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    I think the most likely outcome from Shae's previous (and weird) angry conversation is that she'll accuse Tyrion of having planned the whole thing.

"You said she was pretty, now you're being forced to marry her? How convenient for you."

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I think the most likely outcome from Shae's previous (and weird) angry conversation is that she'll accuse Tyrion of having planned the whole thing.

"You said she was pretty, now you're being forced to marry her? How convenient for you."

This is probably the most likely. I don't think she'll get violent or anything. And I don't think it will be more than a temporary anger.

• Options
    I can see the follow-up to that scene with Tyrion & Bronn:

Tyrion: I need a drink.
    Bronn: Bitches, man.
    Pod: Want me to show you a few things?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Well it's a smart play for Tywin as well. I doubt Littlefinger had much to do with this particular development.

The Lannisters get a claim on Winterfell if they win the war, and even if they lose she is still a valuable hostage when dealing with the North (or annulling the marriage is a good bargaining chip in the peace negotiations, etc).

I dunno, it seemed like Littlefinger knows what he's doing. He found out from Loras' lover that Loras was to be married to Sansa, doubled back to Sansa and confirmed it while making sure to seem understanding and kind, was asked for "a favor" by Cersei (of whom he's not a fan) and actually did it, which he wouldn't have if it didn't gain him something. He knew (or suspected, or even suggested to Cersei) that Tywin would/should marry Tyrion to Sansa. Looks to me like he's manipulating the situation to his own ends - I could be wrong but it makes sense for the character especially in the context of his actions this episode

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It's not uncommon for Lords to have mistresses. Even Shae would know that a Lannister son would never be allowed to marry a whore.

Tywin isn't going to stand for Tyrion having a mistress.

• Options

I dunno, it seemed like Littlefinger knows what he's doing. He found out from Loras' lover that Loras was to be married to Sansa, doubled back to Sansa and confirmed it while making sure to seem understanding and kind, was asked for "a favor" by Cersei (of whom he's not a fan) and actually did it, which he wouldn't have if it didn't gain him something. He knew (or suspected, or even suggested to Cersei) that Tywin would/should marry Tyrion to Sansa. Looks to me like he's manipulating the situation to his own ends - I could be wrong but it makes sense for the character especially in the context of his actions this episode

Everything Littlefinger has done so far in the entire series has made things worse for absolutely everybody except Littlefinger, even the people he ostensibly cares about (Cat... that's pretty much it.)

Hopefully after Walder Frey tosses Robb and Catelyn out on their asses they'll retreat to the Eyrie and Cat will cut off Littlefinger's balls.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Littlefinger has yet to perform a selfless act on the show and has shown loyalty to nobody but himself and his own interests.

• Options
    edited April 2013

Well I'm sure Littlefinger was involved at some point (getting the info to Cersei, who told Tywin), but I think that if/when Tywin heard about Loras + Sansa he would have made a move of some kind to prevent it because combining Tyrell and Stark makes the Tyrells a much larger threat to the Lannisters. Since he doesn't have Jaime to offer, he has to settle for Tyrion.

I don't think he's unhappy with these developments, but I don't think he was directly involved.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    No way Tywin would allow for Tyrion to keep a mistress. All his kids are failures in his eyes. You have to earn the perks. Mistresses are for closers.

This discussion has been closed.