As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Turbo Frog Still Not A Deck

19495969798100»

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    EDIT EDIT: Grats @APODionysus on doing work! How did you feel the deck has performed overall? Any cards that turned out to be better or worse than you thought they'd be?

Having played with it a bit now, I've made a few observations. Overall, its better than I expected, but I'm mostly playign in the "Just For Fun" lobby. I imagine the tougher lobbies would crush me.

--It's definitely vulnerable to removal. Gods Willing is basically my only protection there. I don't really know how to sideboard, but I imagine things like Brave The Elements and Mizzium Skin would be a good side board in matchups that have lots of removal and burn. Don't particularly like Brave the Elements since it doesn't trigger heroics, but it might be worth it.

--I'm still considering removing (or dropping the numbers of) the Arcanist. It doesn't do work every game just due to how aggressive this deck wants to be. On the other hand, when I have a game go long and I get it out? My opponents tend to concede (or "disconnect") the moment I untap.

--Hidden Strings and Nivmagus are my surprise all-stars. I expected Fabled Hero to be huge (though he and the Phalanx Leader are big targets) and he is, especially with Hidden Strings ciphered on him. Things get silly then. But Nivmagus does a surprising amount of work.

--I still tend to lose against expensive decks a lot, but thats to be expected with a budget deck piloted by an inexperienced player. I haven't really ran into any control matchups, which is a shame because thats something I really want to test this deck (and in particular, the Nivmagus) against.

--My biggest problem seems to be my mana base. I'm definitely struggling at times to get my Phalanx Leader or Fabled Hero out. I'd kill for the W/U shocklands, but they are outside my budget for now. When Born of the Gods releases, maybe I'll be able to grab some W/U scrylands to replace Islands. The scry would be helpful in a deck with such a low mana curve, so I can clear lands I don't need later on in the game.

Current Decklist:
    Creature (19)
    3x Elite Arcanist
    4x Fabled Hero
    4x Favored Hoplite
    4x Nivmagus Elemental
    4x Phalanx Leader

Sorcery (4)
    4x Hidden Strings

Enchantment (3)
    3x Aqueous Form

Instant (11)
    3x Dauntless Onslaught
    4x Gods Willing
    4x Triton Tactics

Land (23)
    4x Azorius Guildgate
    8x Island
    11x Plains

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Got some time on my hands to play Magic, so I decided to torture myself and play some Theros sealed like all the brave souls preparing for the upcoming GP.

Here is my pool, it looks fucking abysmal:

Torture+Sealed.JPG

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    @APODionysus

Your deck is super similar to the U/W Heroic deck in Theros Block. Very well done on putting that together so early in your Magic career*.

If you want some better competition you could build the block version of the deck and hop into the Tournament Practice lobby. Get some experience there and you could start playing in Dailies and making that moolah*!

*Magic is not a way to make money.

admanb on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    @metaghost Tough pool. You're definitely G/x, where x could be any or all four colors (between Sylvan Caryatid, 2x Charlie the Unicorn, and Traveler's Amulet).

It's unfortunate that everything you'd want to splash is unsplashable.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    @metaghost Tough pool. You're definitely G/x, where x could be any or all four colors (between Sylvan Caryatid, 2x Charlie the Unicorn, and Traveler's Amulet).

It's unfortunate that everything you'd want to splash is unsplashable.

Yah. This is what I've submitted:

The+Build.JPG

Felt like it gave me the most end-game + removal + curve. Not sure about leaving Disciple of Phenax in the board, and Magma Jet may be worth splash off 1 mountain + Mana Dudes.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Try this:

3x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Sylvan Caryatid
    1x Ordeal of Nylea
    2x Commune with the Gods
    1x Reverent Hunter
    1x Time to Feed
    1x Staunch-Hearted Warrior
    1x Centaur Battlemaster

2x Opaline Unicorn

1x Coordinated Assault
    1x Spark Jolt
    1x Magma Jet
    2x Spearpoint Oread
    2x Ill-Tempered Cyclops

1x Crackling Triton
    1x Griptide
    1x Horizon Scholar

1x Divine Verdict

9x Forest
    4x Mountain
    2x Island
    1x Plains

EDIT: your build seems quite good as well (likely better than mine).

Griswold on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm just not that greedy, and Gorgon + Sip + Nighthowler seem infinitely superior to the Red cards.

EDIT: That said, I should probably be running communes, considering Nighthowler and my high density of Bestow-Dudes.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    metaghost wrote: »
    I'm just not that greedy, and Gorgon + Sip + Nighthowler seem infinitely superior to the Red cards.

EDIT: That said, I should probably be running communes, considering Nighthowler and my high density of Bestow-Dudes.

You're probably right. I was overzealous on the Bestow/Heroic interaction with your green beefers.

Not sure how good Akroan Horse is. I agree the Communes should be in the main somewhere, possibly even over Traveler's Amulet (once you bring them in you have two Communes to find a Sylvan Caryatid or one of your two Unicorns).

Griswold on
  • Options
    Lost round one to essentially the mirror. Except my opponent was heavier blue for Shipbreaker Kraken. :(

Lost both games to top decks. Game one, he got the 8th land he needed for Shipbreaker, game two he got the Nimbus Naiad he needed for exactsies.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    too bad, if you'd had at least one Karametra's Acolyte you might have been able to run one of those Colossi.

• Options
    At the very least, Owen Turtenwald and Paul Rietzl both lost their first round matches as well.

So I can look forward to potentially getting crushed round two by some professionals.

• Options
    :/

@metaghost Do you want to make the new thread when the time comes? Or do @Shadowen or @Feral want to fight you for it?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

@metaghost Do you want to make the new thread when the time comes? Or do @Shadowen or @Feral want to fight you for it?

Ha! No, anyone who wants to make it is fine with me. I have neither the time nor inclination to do one of my monstrosities again.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Shadowen wrote: »

Ha! No, anyone who wants to make it is fine with me. I have neither the time nor inclination to do one of my monstrosities again.

I don't really think the OP needs to be changed. I believe this is mostly a question of who wants to have fun changing the thread-title every so often.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

metaghost Do you want to make the new thread when the time comes? Or do Shadowen or Feral want to fight you for it?

I don't really think the OP needs to be changed. I believe this is mostly a question of who wants to have fun changing the thread-title every so often.

True, but half the fun of an OP for me is coming up with some sort of conceit.

"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I always preferred if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

• Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Hahaha

BUG player had earlier thoughtsized ANT's Tendrils to the graveyard. Now he just untaps, exiles Tendrils and the ANT player straight concedes as that was his only win condition (he wasn't playing a second copy nor did he have Burning Wish).

@Aegis

So this is days late but I was reading an article about ANT and remembered this: technically it's impossible for ANT to run Burning Wish, because once it does it turns into TES. :D

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    @metaghost Are you headed to GPSac?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    metaghost Are you headed to GPSac?

I'm not metaghost, but I am!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
    I always preferred if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

I have personally never considered that those two iterations are significantly different.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I drafted the Red deck in Cube. My opponent's response? Living Death into Elesh Norn (plus eight other guys) the turn before he was dead.

Don't be a fool! Draft unfair in Cube or go home! (I coulda won if I won the die roll!)

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

I am metaghost, and no, I am not headed to GP Sac.

I was just rationalizing my poor decision to play Theros sealed.

Such a poor decision it was. I hate sealed so much.

• Options
    @metaghost Draft more Cube before it goes away for a year!

• Options
    Alas, I must sleeeeeeeeeeep.

Also, bummed that they aren't doing a new flashback draft this week. I was really hoping they were planning to wrap up the Weatherlight Saga and give us Invasion block queues.

Because I am so good at opening Vindicates and Pernicious Deeds. Last time they were up I'm pretty sure I cracked five of each and built up a nice bankroll of tix to later burn on prerelease events like a knucklehead.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I am metaghost, and no, I am not headed to GP Sac.

I was just rationalizing my poor decision to play Theros sealed.

Such a poor decision it was. I hate sealed so much.

I am looking forward to losing swiftly in the main event and then moving on to drafts, commander pods, and two-headed giant.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Also, new thread!

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

Awesome! I might head down that way depending on how my financial situation looks in the next week or so. I'd love to have a few people there I'm familiar with!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Anyone here use TCGPlayer to buy cards before? What was it like?

• Options
    slappybag wrote: »
    Anyone here use TCGPlayer to buy cards before? What was it like?

I've used it a few times. Pretty much like buying cards from anywhere else. The thing about TCGPlayer is that it's inherently an inconsistent experience, but I've only seen a few stories of people who had issues and they all seemed to get resolved by TCGPlayer even if the store was unresponsive.

This discussion has been closed.