As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Turbo Frog Still Not A Deck

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Wow.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I really dig the new frame.

Waste Not is still a lame card.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Haha, that's how he beat ANT. He got the Marit Lage into play on turn 4.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Can't figure out the purpose of the oval stamp in the new frame, though. I've always felt that the gold/redgold expansion symbol in rare/mythic cards was plenty enough "special-ness" to me.

Need to see more text in the new font, but it isn't offensive so far.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    The black bottom looks pretty horrid on non-black cards, but I understand their reasoning behind it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Can't figure out the purpose of the oval stamp in the new frame, though. I've always felt that the gold/redgold expansion symbol in rare/mythic cards was plenty enough "special-ness" to me.

I think the idea is to act as an extra level of forgery prevention. I was under the impression it's a little hologram

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I think the idea is to act as an extra level of forgery prevention. I was under the impression it's a little hologram

Is...is this a thing? Actually thinking about it I've seen friends use proxies, with holograms on them they would be far more noticeable when sleeved. Though to be honest I don't much look at opponents cards that closely so I'm not sure I'd notice in general.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Norgoth wrote: »

Is...is this a thing?

Apparently; I don't think they'd readily add a complication to their printing process if they didn't think counterfeiting was a legitimate issue. I was seeing some talk on twitter that at some point there was an outbreak of counterfeited JTMS, but I have no idea when that was.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    It is most certainly a thing. We had a bunch of insanely well-done fakes circulating in NC in the last month or two. Like, the only noticeable tells were them being slightly glossier than normal and the font being maybe 0.25pt thinner. They were even printed on actual Magic cardstock, with the blue layer inside and everything.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    229fjk2sdalkfeatwk01_en_card_wastenot.jpg

From Daily MTG today. New card frames!

I hated every decision the community made on this card, but now that I have a Nekusar the Mindrazer EDH deck that plays all of the Wheel of Fortunes, color me interested. Gives me some way to get blockers on the board which can be a problem if you aren't hitting wraths and gives me the mana for playing wheels off of wheels.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Why is Waste Not getting so much hate? It's flavorfull as hell. I like it.

Is it because it will only go in multiplayer decks or something?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    What were the other card names you could vote for? I'm pretty sure I hadn't voted for Waste Not. What a horrible night to have a contest.

V0Gug2h.png
    Elbasunu wrote: »

What is the flavor? Homeless Black Mage wanders the city looking for discarded recyclables, amassing a small fortune with which he buys lotto tickets, liquor, and an army of the undead?

Ultimately my issue is that there's a perfectly interesting and clean design (a la Gerrard's Verdict) that addresses how nonselective discard and looting effects often lead to opponents discarding lands. That idea can be approached from many angles, but certainly you could just have the middle clause, though that card would be awful.

Anyway, this design then decides to get all Primeval Bounty and address every discard scenario, which to me just isn't that interesting.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I really like Waste Not, and will probably build a modern zombie/discard deck once it comes out.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't like the black bar at the bottom.

I feel like it dilutes color identity. The new Wall of Fire looks like a Rakdos card to me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like Waste Not.

I like the design parallelism with Primeval Bounty, I like that it has a reasonable casting cost, and I like that it both synergizes with and resonates with Deathrite Shaman.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I don't like how the holofoil bumps into the text box.

jCyyTSo.png
    I'm surprised they didn't make the holofoil in the shape of the planeswalker symbol.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    I like Waste Not.

I like the design parallelism with Primeval Bounty, I like that it has a reasonable casting cost, and I like that it both synergizes with and resonates with Deathrite Shaman.

To each his own. I think Primeval Bounty is shit design, a lame modal value card along the likes of Druidic Satchel and Bow of Nylea. Which also suck.

I think I just don't like when powerful cards are actively anti-flavorful. See also: Batterskull, Frontline Medic. "Let's staple a bunch of shit onto one card to make it a Constructed playable!"

</soapboxrant>

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

What is the flavor? Homeless Black Mage wanders the city looking for discarded recyclables, amassing a small fortune with which he buys lotto tickets, liquor, and an army of the undead?

Ultimately my issue is that there's a perfectly interesting and clean design (a la Gerrard's Verdict) that addresses how nonselective discard and looting effects often lead to opponents discarding lands. That idea can be approached from many angles, but certainly you could just have the middle clause, though that card would be awful.

Anyway, this design then decides to get all Primeval Bounty and address every discard scenario, which to me just isn't that interesting.

Yes. That is the flavor. I think it's cool.

Your other concerns are valid, of course, but you obviously didn't vote HARD enough.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    I like Waste Not.

To each his own. I think Primeval Bounty is shit design, a lame modal value card along the likes of Druidic Satchel and Bow of Nylea. Which also suck.

I think I just don't like when powerful cards are actively anti-flavorful. See also: Batterskull, Frontline Medic. "Let's staple a bunch of shit onto one card to make it a Constructed playable!"

</soapboxrant>

We're gonna have to fight because Druidic Satchel is one of my favorite cards right now

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Your other concerns are valid, of course, but you obviously didn't vote HARD enough.

In my heart, I thought for sure I had the voting hardness of at least quartz, but now you have me concerned; is there a way for me to measure the hardness of my vote?

metaghost wrote: »

In my heart, I thought for sure I had the voting hardness of at least quartz, but now you have me concerned; is there a way for me to measure the hardness of my vote?

Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your vote?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I see that card, Waste Not, and I really really really want to go theorybuild a mill/discard deck.

• slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Not sure I like the new look for some of the M15 cards.

Also made my first commander deck last night, Blue/Green with Experiment Kraj as the commander. Has around 20 different counterspell variations.

edited January 2014
    I like Waste Not.

</soapboxrant>

I like swiss-army-knife cards with multiple mechanics. I like versatility.

But I don't want to argue with you because you just referenced Real Genius.

Feral on

slappybag wrote: »
    Not sure I like the new look for some of the M15 cards.

Also made my first commander deck last night, Blue/Green with Experiment Kraj as the commander. Has around 20 different counterspell variations.

You could change the commander to Momir Vig, tutor up Experiment Crotch as needed.

Also, Experiment Crotch can do about a billion infinite combos that will make your opponents want to slap you. It's great. I like Crotch+Bloom Tender+Knacksaw Clique, personally.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Waste Not has the detail that makes discard.dec win conditions somewhat hard to stick around (Abrupt Decay), but I think that it will be seriously busted on Nekusar EDH decks.

The new card frame: It looks pretty much like the old one. I'm always for more space for text and art and don't care for everything else (though I'll bet you that the foil dot is also there to make cards look "cooler" for the TCG audience).

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Waste Not has the detail that makes discard.dec win conditions somewhat hard to stick around (Abrupt Decay), but I think that it will be seriously busted on Nekusar EDH decks.

The new card frame: It looks pretty much like the old one. I'm always for more space for text and art and don't care for everything else (though I'll bet you that the foil dot is also there to make cards look "cooler" for the TCG audience).

It wouldn't so much be a wincon then it would be a multiplying effect. Also Decay is less a worry then detention sphere.

Quire.jpg
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Oh MAN! So my insanely budget Heroic Tactics Deck? Just crushed a guy running out tournament level cards that I have no chance of affording. Guy was tossing out Mutavaults, Pack Rats, Nightveil Specters... and I beat him on turn 4! I even mulliganed to 6!

The Game:
    Turn 1:

He plays Temple of Mystery.

I drop a Plains and a Favored Hoplite.

Turn 2:

He plays another Temple of Mystery

I drop an Island and a Nivmagus Elemental and another Favored Hoplite. Swing for 1 off my first Hoplite.

Turn 3:

He casts Overgrown Tomb (untapped) and casts Nightveil Specter

At this point, Im scared. A tournament level card and he has blue mana and can cast most of the instantys or sorceries he can steal from me? Time to go all in. I swing with all three hoping he's dumb enough to block. He's not. I cast Triton Tactics before damage hits, targeting my Hoplites to pump them up, then sac it to the Nivmagus to pump him up (since I dont need to untap, I cant block a flier anyway and the defense boost is irrelevant). Hit him for 7, dropping him to 10.

But I now only have two Plains in my hand.

Turn 4:

He plays a Mutavault and swings with his Specter and steals a Nivmagus. He casts the Nivmagus and a Pack Rat.

I have a life lead, but Im nervous. I've seen what Pack Rat can do, and lord knows what he has in his hand. I pause on my Upkeep, then go to my Draw.

I topdeck a Dauntless Onslaught!

I swing with everything, hoping he wouldnt dare chump with Mutavault or Pack Rat (though I wouldnt be too disappointed if he did). He has them hang back and has his stolen Nivmagus block mine... which is what I was hoping he'd do. I cast Onslaught and let it resolve. The heroic triggers plus the spells +2/+2 give each Hoplite 5 Power and give me the Win!

Obviously I got very lucky with that top deck (top decking what you need sure is a rush), but still... my deck that I spent 3 event tickets on just beat a deck with tournament level creatures. Mutavault ALONE costs, like, 5 times my entire deck (10 times what I actually spent)

Grats!

I just got owned by the meanest B/W stax cube deck in the finals and I was the one who played Smokestacks!

Both games I had Tinker in hand while he had Liliana in play. Couldn't even beat her with Shackles. ;-;

Second game was even more of an embarrassment as I Mind Twist him for his full grip ready to play Tinker the next turn and he draws the Liliana on his turn followed by Null Rod. ;-;

B/W can be the most unfair cube deck.

V0Gug2h.png
    (top decking what you need sure is a rush)

And thus the Miracle mechanic was born and forever changed the way players drew their first card each turn. Even when the mechanic is no longer legal.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2014
    My pack 2 pick 1 yesterday in cube was between:

Time Walk
    Mox Sapphire
    Mox Pearl
    Library of Alexandria
    Mox Ruby

---

EDIT: I hate Miracle as a mechanic. Magic has plenty of variance as it is without introducing cards that are either hilariously overcosted or criminally undercosted depending on when you draw them.

---

EDIT EDIT: Grats @APODionysus on doing work! How did you feel the deck has performed overall? Any cards that turned out to be better or worse than you thought they'd be?

Griswold on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Time Walk
    Mox Sapphire
    Mox Pearl
    Library of Alexandria
    Mox Ruby

---

EDIT: I hate Miracle as a mechanic. Magic has plenty of variance as it is without introducing cards that are either hilariously overcosted or criminally undercosted depending on when you draw them.

---

EDIT EDIT: Grats @APODionysus on doing work! How did you feel the deck has performed overall? Any cards that turned out to be better or worse than you thought they'd be?

Confirmed that those 5 Power cards come together very often. I've seen Library in packs with no other Power, but of those moxes, I think they only come in that specific run. I'm fairly sure if I did enough digging I could find card runs for the power cube, but that's a lot of work for something I do about 6 times a year during Christmas.

edited January 2014
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Time Walk
    Mox Sapphire
    Mox Pearl
    Library of Alexandria
    Mox Ruby

Confirmed that those 5 Power cards come together very often. I've seen Library in packs with no other Power, but of those moxes, I think they only come in that specific run. I'm fairly sure if I did enough digging I could find card runs for the power cube, but that's a lot of work for something I do about 6 times a year during Christmas.

There are definitely "print clusters" if not print runs. Like, Library is often in a pack with Pearl and Time Walk, where Library and Time Walk are adjacently placed on the bottom row and Mox Pearl is on the upper row on the right. I'm guessing Griswolds pack probably looked something like:

X X X R X P X X
    S X L T X X X

Beyond being the worst Mox, Pearl tends to go so late because it almost exclusively comes in these crazy packs, where it's stuff like the above or Pearl vs. Mind Twist + Mana Drain.

metaghost on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've been grinding Modern two-mans on MODO with U/R Storm and it's pretty fun. Still working out how sideboarding and matchups work (Empty the Warrens is good against Jund, right? OH GOD NO. CHARMS EXIST) and I still feel a little guilty when I spend five minutes comboing off while my opponent is tapped out, but overall most matches are a lot more interactive than you might think.

The feeling of crafting the combo hand and then watching it go off is also extremely satisfying.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The new black bar + color frame is actually pretty similar to the design of the planeswalker card frames.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    What were the other card names you could vote for? I'm pretty sure I hadn't voted for Waste Not. What a horrible night to have a contest.

I don't remember them all, but I remember them being pretty bad. I was hoping there would be one that played off of Primeval Bounty, but nope. The other name I do remember was "Revenge of Necromancy," so if nothing else we can be glad it wasn't named something as stupid as that.

So this might have been recognized elsewhere by other folks, but I realized that the designer credit may be a hint that they're planning to bring back the Invitational, or at least provide a similar such reward to the winner of World Champs.

Which would be awesome.

edited January 2014
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

I don't remember them all, but I remember them being pretty bad. I was hoping there would be one that played off of Primeval Bounty, but nope. The other name I do remember was "Revenge of Necromancy," so if nothing else we can be glad it wasn't named something as stupid as that.

Waste Not
    Necroharvest
    Spoils of Misery
    Carpe Noctem
    Vile Plunder
    Riches from Rags
    Skullduggery
    Drudge Rummage

(In order of most votes received.)

I believe "Revenge of Necromancy" was a placeholder name for one of the rules text submissions. EDIT: Actually, it was the placeholder name for Waste Not's rules text. So we did sort of get that one... The name "Waste Not" actually came from the art description.

Full recap was posted on 9/30.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
This discussion has been closed.