As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Little Giant Bomb: Videogames Are Bullshit

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the worst thing about yosuke (minor, general gamewide spoilers)
    is that the way he's written into the game it seems pretty clear his awfulness is an intentional depiction of how carelessly and unconsciously bigoted young people (any people but this is a game about teenagers) can be, but there's no point where he turns around and realizes what a tremendous creep he is.

Realistically this makes sense, as I can't imagine many teenagers with that problem get over themselves quickly, but for the purposes of yosuke as a character in a story it almost turns into like a tacit approval. I really don't think that is the intent considering the rest of the game but it's gross nonetheless.
    I think Adachi might have been meant to be that?

like Yosuke is written as a proto-Adachi, the complaints of his shadow mirror those of Adachi's complaints about living in the boonies, and Adachi's attitude towards women is where Yosuke's attitude will lead if he doesn't straighten up

Spoilers
    Adachi is literally the evil video game version of the "Nice Guy"

I love it

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    heads up that -tal spoiler is a HUGE SPOILER so be safe

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I can't stop playing Far Cry 3.
    There is something blissful with clearing an outposts of 5 or 6 guys in 20 seconds when you can do it right.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Labrys' accent is why I don't like her lol

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    I really should pick up P4A sometime

more for watchin' fighting games than playing them but it's fun to run through a story mode now and then

Not sure how much you know about P4A story mode, but it's literally a visual novel with pages of texts and multiple paths that unlock further endings. Which was what I wanted! But...word of warning regardless.

Oh yeah, totally aware of this. No problem with it though.

• Options
    Zay

You are weird

"Best idle battle animation" is just the weirdest goddamn metric to judge a character by

• Options
    A lot of the story modes in P4A are super similar though, so I ended up skipping some parts

but some of the characters with real neat things who I recommend doing the story mode and reading are at the very least Kanji and Yukiko

and if you haven't played P3 and intend to, don't do Elizabeth's story, as it spoils the end of P3

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    so I'm playing poker night 2 and I'm really missing the option from the first one to crank up how often conversations happen

like, they're still saying when they're calling or folding or whatever just as often but it feels like I'm waiting ages for them to talk to each other and that's kind of the whole reason for the game to exist to begin with

• Options
    I don't really like Aigis either though, especially since P4A confirms that The Answer is canon and makes Aigis have such a big role in the story

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Zay

You are weird

"Best idle battle animation" is just the weirdest goddamn metric to judge a character by

well when it's good enough for me to overlook any flaw with the character

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Oh no!

Christmas Eve!

The worst scenario for a total playa like myself!

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i liked aigis way more when she was an emotionless killing machine

then they had to go and give her a personality and fuck it all up

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    why the f doesnt koromaru get to be a protagonist

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Emotionless killing machine robots are boring. Give me sommadat pathos

but it should be well-written and interesting, though, or killing machine is way better.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so I stayed up too late playing persona and
    I finally beat shadow kenji even though the fight was a real bitch. then I was right about all the victims being on TV. nyah

• Options
    Was The Answer any good by the way

I never got around to finishing the Let's Play of it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'd be more surprised if a robot showed up in anything ever that didn't somehow magically discover emotions and friendship.

• Options
    I like the ais in the iron man movies

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Was The Answer any good by the way

I never got around to finishing the Let's Play of it.

No it was awful.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    shin megami tensei persona 3 the answer sucks

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'd be more surprised if a robot showed up in anything ever that didn't somehow magically discover emotions and friendship.
    yeah. Data already nailed that.

• Options
    That's a shame. The true ending to Persona 3 is so good, they could've done interesting things with an epilogue.

• Options
    We've been banging that drum since at the very least Johnny Five.

• Options
    I need to read the rest of the Asimov robot novels...

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    yosuke's literally the best bro in the show and if you don't like it you can fuckin' go

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I love Caves of Steel more than is probably healthy

• Options
    I don't know about any personas but I can safely assume that t four ct is wrong. After all yosuke was also the name of my least favorite digidestined.

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    yosuke's literally the best bro in the show and if you don't like it you can fuckin' go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRrluIRc4gA

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

I love Caves of Steel more than is probably healthy

It's a damn good read.

• Options

how the FUCK is yosuke a better bro than teddie or kanji

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    That's a shame. The true ending to Persona 3 is so good, they could've done interesting things with an epilogue.

P4A canonizes (if that's a word) The Answer, which is a shame, but Elizabeth's route is an epilogue to P3 as well. It's not great, and there are some thematically iffy things about it, but it wraps up P3's ending and sets up possible future events pretty well.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    -Tal wrote: »

how the FUCK is yosuke a better bro than teddie or kanji

Yosuke Rank 10 S. Link
    He lets you beat the shit out of him like you've wanted to through most of the game.

Though Teddie and Kanji don't make you want to beat the shit out of them in the first place so they win anyway.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Leveling up all these low characters in fire emblem is taking forever even with the dlc. I'm about ready to give up on donnel.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    yosuke's s link is weird

boy has issues

but, well, so does literally everyone in p4

which is sorta the point

not funky student though

funky student knows where his shit in life is

• Options
    yosuke's s link is weird

boy has issues

but, well, so does literally everyone in p4

which is sorta the point

not funky student though

funky student knows where his shit in life is

Yeah, I didn't actually find myself hating Yosuke that much. He was pretty awful, but my appreciation for his role in the story mitigated my dislike.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    yosuke is a creepy sexist homophobe who never stops being any of those things despite every single one of his friends undergoing tremendous emotional growth over the course of their journey

yosuke is awful

• Options
    this is what happens when mike blais plays a video game instead of being told about it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Playing mgs3 on 3DS is kinda hard.

• Options
    yosuke is a creepy sexist homophobe who never stops being any of those things despite every single one of his friends undergoing tremendous emotional growth over the course of their journey

yosuke is awful

Yeah, but he was made that way so specifically that I had a hard time actually hating the character because of it.
    He's so awful, especially in contrast with all the other investigation team members, that he's almost a foil for everyone else. But I have a hard time hating someone who's so transparently made to be unlikeable. He's serving his role in the game, and I guess that makes me not hate him so much. I mean, when a character that's almost made to do awful things does those awful things, it becomes just expected I guess. Not as much emotional impact. It's like, "oh, is Yosuke going to make fun of Kanji's sexuality again? Of course he is. I bet this is where he makes fun of Naoto. Yup, there it is! Wow, what a terrible person." It also helps that you can barely see glimpses of non-asshole Yosuke occasionally.

Also, I really feel like this is one area where the gameplay/story segregation really hurt P4. The game doesn't take into account your social links, so all the story beats happen the same way regardless of the social link level and those are where most of Yosuke's asshole-ness really shines through. This doesn't just affect Yosuke, of course. A lot of the characters appear to regress if you max out social links asap, but at least that's explainable because the issues they're dealing with don't get magically fixed with a couple of conversations and they still need to grapple with them. But for Yosuke, who's kinda learning to not be such a dick, it hurts him the most.

Granted, I haven't played P4 in a while so this might just be born out of my bad memory.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I think I just got everything set up with OBS to live stream me playing games. Which is likely something I won't ever actually do. But, hey, at least I know I can.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
This discussion has been closed.