As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Little Giant Bomb: Videogames Are Bullshit

11011131516100

Posts

  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also real quick aside re: MGS2
    Always bothered the fuck out of me that Solidus goes "200 years ago today they signed the declaration of independence"

    and like even 12 years ago as a Canadian teenager I knew that was bullshit and that the game didn't take place in 1989. Solidus makes it sound like an exact figure but really he's off by 20 years and this is basic historical fact WAIT A MINUTE THE PATRIOTS HOLY SHIT

    Canada's fine schools at work I see

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The very existence of pineapple pizza is a crime against humanity.

    wrong

    the strong taste of the pineapple cuts through the fatiness of the cheese and provides a unique flavor balance that you don't achieve with other toppings

    I totally get it if pineapple isn't your thing, but pineapple pizza is a great culinary achievement

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    FUN FACT originally arsenal gear was supposed to crash into the Statue of Liberty and you would fight solidus on top of it as it collapsed

    But then 9/11 happened and Kojima decided it would be bad taste to blow up the Statue of Liberty following that

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I love how history works. Ben Franklin was positive that July 2 would be a celebrated holiday, because they ratified the declaration on that day, so why wouldn't it be? But since the printed version came out on the 4th, people simply clung to that date even though it had no relevance to the actual act.

    I realize that pretty much every country builds a myth about itself and then celebrates those myths even when it's easy to find out that they're inaccurate or blatantly wrong, but it just seems so america to, right off the bat, stop giving a fuck about reality and just create a holiday based on nothing.

  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    The Queen's Birthday holiday isn't even on her birthday!

    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The very existence of pineapple pizza is a crime against humanity.

    wrong

    the strong taste of the pineapple cuts through the fatiness of the cheese and provides a unique flavor balance that you don't achieve with other toppings

    I totally get it if pineapple isn't your thing, but pineapple pizza is a great culinary achievement

    Why do you hate America?

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also real quick aside re: MGS2
    Always bothered the fuck out of me that Solidus goes "200 years ago today they signed the declaration of independence"

    and like even 12 years ago as a Canadian teenager I knew that was bullshit and that the game didn't take place in 1989. Solidus makes it sound like an exact figure but really he's off by 20 years and this is basic historical fact WAIT A MINUTE THE PATRIOTS HOLY SHIT
    I'm not sure why the game taking place in 1989 would make it correct, since the document was signed in 1776, not 1789. And in any case, he was probably also wrong because the document wasn't signed on July 4, it was simply dated July 4 because that was when they could get it printed out. Independence day is actually July 2, and the document wasn't even signed until August 2.

    Well I was right on the core of the issue. Like I said, Canadian.

    sig.gif
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also real quick aside re: MGS2
    Always bothered the fuck out of me that Solidus goes "200 years ago today they signed the declaration of independence"

    and like even 12 years ago as a Canadian teenager I knew that was bullshit and that the game didn't take place in 1989. Solidus makes it sound like an exact figure but really he's off by 20 years and this is basic historical fact WAIT A MINUTE THE PATRIOTS HOLY SHIT

    Canada's fine schools at work I see

    I'd like you to tell me which year the Battle of the Plains of Abraham happened without looking it up.

    sig.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also real quick aside re: MGS2
    Always bothered the fuck out of me that Solidus goes "200 years ago today they signed the declaration of independence"

    and like even 12 years ago as a Canadian teenager I knew that was bullshit and that the game didn't take place in 1989. Solidus makes it sound like an exact figure but really he's off by 20 years and this is basic historical fact WAIT A MINUTE THE PATRIOTS HOLY SHIT

    Canada's fine schools at work I see

    I'd like you to tell me which year the Battle of the Plains of Abraham happened without looking it up.

    The year of the Blood Moose god everyone knows that.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    FUN FACT originally arsenal gear was supposed to crash into the Statue of Liberty and you would fight solidus on top of it as it collapsed

    But then 9/11 happened and Kojima decided it would be bad taste to blow up the Statue of Liberty following that

    What I heard is that due to other concerns (dev time, budget, PS2's horsepower) they changed the battle to Federal Hall even before 9/11. However, there originally was a shot of Arsenal crashing through the Statue of Liberty on its way there, which was cut from the game after 9/11 (now you just see Arsenal approaching the George Washington Bridge, then it fades out and cuts right to Federal Hall).

    sig.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also real quick aside re: MGS2
    Always bothered the fuck out of me that Solidus goes "200 years ago today they signed the declaration of independence"

    and like even 12 years ago as a Canadian teenager I knew that was bullshit and that the game didn't take place in 1989. Solidus makes it sound like an exact figure but really he's off by 20 years and this is basic historical fact WAIT A MINUTE THE PATRIOTS HOLY SHIT
    I'm not sure why the game taking place in 1989 would make it correct, since the document was signed in 1776, not 1789. And in any case, he was probably also wrong because the document wasn't signed on July 4, it was simply dated July 4 because that was when they could get it printed out. Independence day is actually July 2, and the document wasn't even signed until August 2.

    Well I was right on the core of the issue. Like I said, Canadian.

    And like I said, you are closer to the fact than most adult Americans can get.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Oh yeahhh, Solidus only talks about Washington's inauguration, not the Declaration of Independence. So I was right about the year, just not about the event.

    sig.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    SimBen wrote: »
    Oh yeahhh, Solidus only talks about Washington's inauguration, not the Declaration of Independence. So I was right about the year, just not about the event.

    @geth ban SimBen for not knowing about Washington's inauguration even though he's from another country.

    In the Giant Bomb thread, history is serious business.

    Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what if george washington was real

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah ok i just did some metal gear script FACT CHECKING and the game takes place in 2009 making him 20 years off.

    what's so dumb is that they're right enough to have obviously looked it up but then I guess shouting 200 years ago sounds better than "220 years ago"

  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    um langly how do you know the patriots didnt add 20 extra years...

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Fez is out tomorrow! Who is on my 'never played fez before, gonna fez on pc' team

    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Solidus was a US president why would you expect him to know US history

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Solidus was a US president why would you expect him to know US history

    but he does know! that's the thing. He knows everything except the correct decade.

  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    how do you know it isnt actually 1993...

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Clearly metal gear solid takes place in an alternate universe where the revolutionary war lasted 20 more years due to Britain's experimental Tea Walker weapon

    Speed Racer on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It probably just lasted longer because everyone wasn't incompetent like in the real war. Good god did those people make stupid decisions.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The very existence of pineapple pizza is a crime against humanity.

    wrong

    the strong taste of the pineapple cuts through the fatiness of the cheese and provides a unique flavor balance that you don't achieve with other toppings

    I totally get it if pineapple isn't your thing, but pineapple pizza is a great culinary achievement

    Why do you hate America?

    There is nothing more American than creating bizarre mashups of food from very different traditions

    this is the country that brought us fried wontons and nacho cheese

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Metal gear games I want

    -Future game starring the new clone Gaseous Snake, with a support team that includes badass adult Sunny
    -Even futurer game starring the newer clone Plasma Snake that ties metal gear into ZOE
    -prequel starring a young The Boss fighting Nazis
    -earlier prequel set during world war 1 starring The End, or as he was known then Bose-Einstein Condensate Snake

    Speed Racer on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Pineapple's not my favourite, as it doesn't go super well with olives, which are my favourite.

    But they have their place. Goatmon get better opinions or as a resident of just-subtropical Australia I am uniquely positioned to fill your house with pineapples.

    Sadly, I would be the only tenant dissatisfied with the situation.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza, but kilroy's right about that one

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Metal gear games I want

    -prequel starring a young The Boss fighting Nazis

    This is actually something Kojima has expressed intrest in doing, her and the entire Cobra unit

    6F32U1X.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    SwissLion wrote: »
    The Queen's Birthday holiday isn't even on her birthday!

    She gets two birthday because she's the Queen and....no that's it.

    She's the Queen, she gets two birthdays and if she wants anyone's opinion she'll fucking give it to them.

    Karl on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Queen's Holiday, there's a national holiday in mid-May in Canada and nobody agrees what to name it.

    It seriously has like 4 different names, two of which are official. Nobody knows what we're celebrating except that it's a day off from work.

    sig.gif
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    a MGS game where you play as The Boss would pretty much be the greatest thing ever

  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    What in gods name is the tone of that game

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Well that's a thing.

  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I hope they're considering a PC version.

    Ceno on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    well I'd be very interested if they'd release a cheaper multiplayer-only version but otherwise

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'd be surprised if they didn't announce a PS4 version at E3

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What in gods name is the tone of that game

    awesome

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    those spots are really well written and edited.

  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I can't watch this trailer cause I'm at work and it is killing me.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    those spots are really well written and edited.

    I like all of them individually! I just don't understand how they fit together.
    You have a Sopranos/Breaking Bad type thing with the dad where he wants to be good but not really, you have the "I want to get out of the Ghetto and the culture is keeping me down" thing and then you have... whatever that last thing is. I just don't know how they gel.

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.