As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is A Better Home Awaiting In The Sky? [Bioshock: Infinite]

Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri LibrarianRegistered User regular
edited April 2013 in Social Entropy++
iQ39WmBAXcMbA.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4Crth_Hb8

Welcome friend. Welcome to the heaven that is Columbia. Our wonderful prophet, Father Comstock, invites you to enjoy your stay. We have our yearly raffle going on right now and it is a hoot. Or you might like to be serenaded by the wonderful Bee Sharps as they sing their new hit "God Only Knows." Jeremiah Fink, our local inventor, will delight you with his Vigors and marvel you with the amazing Handyman! Or perhaps you may want to visit Monument Island, home of the lamb? [Monument Island Currently Closed by Order Of The Prophet]

So this is a thread about Bioshock: Infinite, it's the new game from Irrational Games. Some people really like it! Some don't! That's cool. Make sure to hide your spoilers. Just cause you finished it doesn't mean everyone has.

Reviews:
Eurogamer 10/10
Destructoid 10/10
IGN 9.4
PC Gamer 91/100
RPS
Giant Bomb 5/5
Polygon 10/10
Rev3 5/5

These Things Have Spoilers

Adam Sessler's Spoiled Game Part 1, Part 2
Polygon Roundtable
Giant Bomb Spoiler Cast

Cool Stuff Forum People Have Done:

Knitdan's Awesome Knitted Songbird
Speed Racer Talks About Religion
Poorochondriac Talks About Racism

2ohWien.png
Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
Ms Dapper on
The BetgirlPoorochondriacSpeed Racermasterofmetroidknitdanchiasaur11Devlin_DragonusCorehealer

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So yeah. I just finished this.
    When you end up in rapture and I realized where I was and it was oh man I want to explore this place again

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Metzger MeisterCaulk Bite 6Devlin_Dragonus
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    And has there been any word on what the DLC is going to be about?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Dang, @MrDapper, it's really cool that you linked my post in your OP. Thanks! It's always a thrill when people respond to something I write. I appreciate that a lot.

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    it was a really good post that helped me think out my own reactions to the game
    i felt like i understood what they were getting at with comstock, but less so with booker. regardless of whatever their intent was, it's a really interesting way of looking at the text.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Dang, @MrDapper, it's really cool that you linked my post in your OP. Thanks! It's always a thrill when people respond to something I write. I appreciate that a lot.

That's cause it's a damn good post.

2ohWien.png
    Goatmonchiasaur11Devlin_Dragonus
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Midgame spoiler
    Man, I really thought they were being very heavyhanded Fitzroy stuff up until I found that one Preston voxophone in shantytown, the one with the bear trap. That hit pretty hard.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Ditto for me

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    Midgame spoiler
    Man, I really thought they were being very heavyhanded Fitzroy stuff up until I found that one Preston voxophone in shantytown, the one with the bear trap. That hit pretty hard.
    Preseton's diaries are a really awesome little story all its own.

And there's only four of them!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Caulk Bite 6
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The voxophone that hit me the hardest was
    the one you find on the handy-man right after you go to vox-revolution-world

like dang

2x39jD4.jpg
    The BetgirlBrocksMulletchiasaur11
    Which one was that, again?

Goatmon wrote: »
    Which one was that, again?

it was basically
    a note to the dead handyman from his (presumably dead) wife saying something like "I know this is hard for you and things are pretty terrible and I'm gonna be gone soon but when the fits of anger come I want you to play this and remember me and remember that you are a good man. I love you, I love you, I love you."

2x39jD4.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    broke my goddamn heart

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    KwoaruN1tSt4lkerBrocksMulletDevlin_DragonusCorehealer
    full text for that voxophone within
    Samuel, when the spells of anger come, I want you to play this recording and remember that I am the proudest woman in Columbia to have been your wife. They said your soul was choked by the fumes in that metal box, but this I do not believe. And we shall meet again, on that eternal shore--both of us whole and smiling. I love you...I love you. I love you. --Hattie Gerst, July the 25th, 1908

2x39jD4.jpg
    Oh God, I must have missed that one.

That is heartbreaking.

Mild ConfusionCaulk Bite 6Devlin_Dragonus
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Oh God, I must have missed that one.

That is heartbreaking.
    just to make it extra sad
    you find it outside the finkton bar on a handyman who some vox killed and they are posing on his body like big game hunters on a rhino

2x39jD4.jpg
    The BetgirlMs DapperBrocksMulletCaulk Bite 6
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    What's even worse is
    there are vox soldiers posing and taking pictures next to the dead body

KwoaruThe BetgirlMs Dapper
    sample-f1c81fd521324cfa349d3d1fbbde20e9.jpg

Also here's a funny comic that has spoilers.
    df05b7774e1374a7a5cd39534a42b8a0.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Goatmon
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Can we ban the word "agency" from this thread?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So I guess people still aren't done being dickheads about Wounded Knee!

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/76181/

Dude is trying to ransom off the site of a goddang massacre, to a tribe killed in said massacre. Sitting on land he wouldn't even own if it wasn't stolen from the aforementioned massacred tribe.

Goddang do I just wanna kick that guy in the balls until they get stuck in his throat

chiasaur11
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Dang, that Poorochondriac post linked in the OP deserves all the awesomes. I really hadn't looked at it that way.

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I have played through this game twice now, and am watching my gf play through it currently

I have a question about something that kept slipping my mind because it was so brief. My memory is a little shaky on the exact details, apologies:
    There is a woman you run into as you leave Battleship Bay that sees Elizabeth and says something like "Annabelle! Annabelle it's me [ I forget the name ]!" and Elizabeth gets all confused and says "I'm not Annabelle, I'm Elizabeth" and the woman says "Odd, you look just like her" or something to that effect. This woman is not dressed like anyone else and vanishes after she walks around the corner.

What is the deal with this lady?

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I have played through this game twice now, and am watching my gf play through it currently

I have a question about something that kept slipping my mind because it was so brief. My memory is a little shaky on the exact details, apologies:
    There is a woman you run into as you leave Battleship Bay that sees Elizabeth and says something like "Annabelle! Annabelle it's me [ I forget the name ]!" and Elizabeth gets all confused and says "I'm not Annabelle, I'm Elizabeth" and the woman says "Odd, you look just like her" or something to that effect. This woman is not dressed like anyone else and vanishes after she walks around the corner.

if you look around that area after the gunfight breaks out you can find an audio log that reveals that she's a spy sent by comstock, she's how they know to attack you

CorporateLogo
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »

if you look around that area after the gunfight breaks out you can find an audio log that reveals that she's a spy sent by comstock, she's how they know to attack you

Ohhhhh okay
    I guess it was that lady essentially calling her Anna that made me think there was something deeper to it. I guess it was just some cheeky foreshadowing.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So, like, this game is supposed to get DLC at some point, right?

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Interesting. I hope it's well done. There's plenty to chew over already in the main story proper.

I finished this last night and
    the fact that the story is deep enough to have multiple readings makes me so incredibly happy. It feels like games have grown up a little more.

I don't know how the hell I managed to miss ten voxophones when it felt like I was scouring every location for clues.

Kwoaru
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I just finished this game today. I thought it was pretty great! I'm kind of loath to find out why some people hate it, though.

apricotmuffinsThe BetgirlknitdanSpeed Racermasterofmetroid
    edited May 2013
    Flay wrote: »
    I finished this last night and
    the fact that the story is deep enough to have multiple readings makes me so incredibly happy. It feels like games have grown up a little more.

I don't know how the hell I managed to miss ten voxophones when it felt like I was scouring every location for clues.

I spent hours more on this game than I should have because i back tracked multiple times in every area to try and find all the stupid god damn voxophones

and I was still 8 short

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just finished this game today. I thought it was pretty great! I'm kind of loath to find out why some people hate it, though.

Because they are silly geese who do not like to think. Also the tumblr-ization of discourse means that if you portray racism/classism/jingoism in a game, you have to then spend the whole game harping on it or you are worse than Pol Pot.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    lol

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    how many hours long is this game?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    If you take your time trying to find all the audio logs and do the side paths, maybe like 9-12 hours?

I started it last night around midnight, played for a couple hours, went to bed, woke up and finished it around six or seven hours later?

I failed the last big combat section like two or three times, which added a chunk of time

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    It took me closer to 15-16 hours to finish, but I did play on hard.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Woke up this morning, grabbed my robe, glanced at my wife's dresser...she's got a new bottle of perfume...

klMnCS1l.jpg

That was a bit of a shock to my sleep-fogged brain.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    edited May 2013
    MrDapper wrote: »

Shipping is $63.

That's just unfair.

Flay on
    Mr Fuzzbutt