Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Sketch for Tips

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Sketch for Tips

Social skills as well as artistic ability will decide the best Artist in this challenge.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• sinfoidsinfoid Registered User new member
    Hmmm...video is marked "private"

Spman2099
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    What a horrible tease... The video is marked private.

• MidgetMeMidgetMe Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it'll be cleared at midnight PST. so, like 1 minute or 2.

Spman2099
  • MidgetMeMidgetMe Registered User regular
    Wow. I am actually surprised how on the money I was.

Spman2099
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Yay! Up on time!

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    You win this round, Midge.

MidgetMe
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I'm not through it all yet, but not only did Monica perform precisely opposite to how I thought she would, she managed to draw a penis on Robert Khoo and get him to pay her for it. She wins on that alone. She wins everything. Name something. She wins it.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    esobFranklinBluthAngry_SamoanDexOZNotaCylonJayeEmmjaball77aheeremaemarecksaykayXeavnA Concerned CitizenKoopahTroopahenderandrewDiplominatorfraggywahayCambiatapiersnicakedinikeaglvid
  • esobesob Registered User regular
    Dick abs are amazing.

Spman2099
  • LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    Man, this was a rough challenge to win. Tavis had nothing to go off of, which I feel meant that whatever he did would be perceived as strategy. It would have been more interesting if they'd told him the totals and let him decide whether or not to break from those, though that probably would have tied his hands more (since any departure would have been viewed as strategizing).

It makes sense that he would pick people who haven't been up yet, just to get surprises out of the way (the Nick + Mac elimination) and also somewhat in the interest of fairness. I do wonder if he made enemies with these picks, though: he's throwing the youngest and probably least experienced artist against one of the oldest, most experienced, and he clearly knows it, which some of the artists may see as a bit vicious.

I do think it was Abby's time, though: she's the only remaining artist who hasn't won a challenge (I think? If you count the Pineapple Maki crew), and with seven left flying middle of the pack isn't an option. I definitely hope she makes it because I love her brand of humor; in any case, looks like it'll be a fun elimination on Friday.

emarecksaykayBucho
    edited April 2013
    God, I am so fucking happy that Erica and Abby placed second and third. That makes me so happy. Now they can hold their heads up high walking into the elimination. Also, I like how more confidence is on display now. People are really starting to come out of their shell and thump their chests a little. As they should. Talent is on display here, people. You are all so fucking talented; be proud.

The one, very obvious, exception is Abby. I hope Abby either wins and gains the confidence that reflects here skill set; or at the very least, if she loses, I hope she looks back at these episodes and realizes that she performed pretty damn well against VERY stiff competition.

That being said, I really don't want Erica to go home. I really like her; I think she is a pretty charming individual quite obviously brimming with talent.

DAMN YOU, INNER CONFLICT!!!

Spman2099 on
    A Concerned CitizenBucho
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    Considering how seasoned of an artist Erika is I must assume Abby will be going home. Which is upsetting because I've been warming up to her recently. On the upside, the creators finally meet the sole member of Team Tangent!

Man, Graham's reveal at the end was BRUTAL.

xThanatoSxspillfishTheKeckDexOZElbasunufraggywahayCambiataBucho
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    I like that they stopped leading the artists into certain choices by announcing "losers."

I have no idea who will win next week.

TheSpyderA Concerned CitizenCambiata
    edited April 2013
    Well, the obvious question is who came in 6th and 7th. Because if Tavis had that information, that's who he'd almost certainly have gone with instead.

In any case, given who he did nominate, it's pretty much a given that Monica's headed to the Thunderdome at the next opportunity regardless of performance. Katie's the only one who's even so much as been there twice; save her it's been two new artists every time and Monica's the only non-Thunderdomer left. It's going to be a 'just so everybody's gone up' equalization thing.

EDIT: Also, I predicted Tavis/Monica. I have to remember to stop predicting things.

Gosling on
    spillfishTheKeckemarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • NuurgleNuurgle Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    Well, Tavis is now officially on my shit list!

Dinospyfraggy
  • AkaiatanaAkaiatana Registered User new member
    I loved the trolling done by the PA staff. Knowing Robert's operation methods from three seasons of PATV, having him portray a bit of a butt was so rewarding to watch.

esobemarecksaykayA Concerned CitizenKoopahTroopahwahay
  • BaarogueBaarogue Registered User regular
    I liked Abby's look of surprise when she heard she was 2nd or 3rd in tips.

I was laughing so hard at the hijinks. And I bet it was all stuff that's happened at their cons.

spillfishemarecksaykayA Concerned CitizenBucho
  • FranklinBluthFranklinBluth Registered User regular
    One of the best episodes yet. Great stuff guys!

• InquisitorInquisitor Of mercenary mind. Registered User regular
    I think it is kind of messed up that they had Tavis basically pick blind based on the challenge (he was focused on his own booth the whole time, and they didn't tell him the rankings) only to tell him the rankings after he had picked.

I get that they are trying to make it so they just can't pick the weakest performer from each challenge, but it kind of strikes me as a lame way to put some extra drama into things.

Oh well, looking forward to Erika v. Abby. I want to see if Abby can get Gabe to eat his tangent stuff, but I think Erika will be the victor.

QnIYGGT.jpg
    Spman2099TheKeckemarecksaykayfraggykedinik
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    It seems like Erika is ...as far as you can get as a webcartoonist, established, and was even thinking about giving away her prize to Amy a couple episodes back. I support Abby for the elimination just because she's the underdog here, at least from how the show has edited itself and from the constant talk of her tangents. Her technical proficiency seems to be at a similar level to Erika so they both have to work off the quality of the comic itself.

It would've been interesting if they showed Tavis the people who had the highest and lowest without telling the other contenders.

Question for the staff, will their sketches be scanned for the site?

emarecksaykayA Concerned CitizenBucho
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    esob wrote: »
    Man, Graham's reveal at the end was BRUTAL.

Yeah. I wasn't expecting that.

Friday's elim is going to be brutal... though really, is there an elim from this point onwards that won't be brutal? All of the contestants have proven that they're talented and they're all real human beings as opposed to reality show d-bags.

It's going to be a long several days :D

esobemarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    I felt horrible for Tavis when Graham opened his mouth at the end. If you're not going to give him that info to use in his decision, don't slap him with it after he's had to judge the contest blind.

TheKeckxdeathknightxemarecksaykayA Concerned CitizenBoing
  • DinospyDinospy Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, this will be the elimination round I am the most invested in so far - Go Erika!

• TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    Though Tavis does think Erika will be the one that comes out ahead off this...

I felt horrible for Tavis when Graham opened his mouth at the end. If you're not going to give him that info to use in his decision, don't slap him with it after he's had to judge the contest blind.

I might have phrased it as, 'Well, the person who came in last was actually X, so X, good news for you; Tavis spared you.'

spillfishzerzhulemarecksaykayfullofgrace
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    I hope Abby wins just to see how Mike deals with having to call her the victor. Maybe it'll be easy, if she blows it out of the water, but if it's close he might show some physical pain in the process.

Rough as it must have been to pick blindly, I admit that I don't see any way they could have allowed Tavis to use the final tallies in his decision. It would have created quite a bit of drama if he'd gone away from whoever finished sixth and/or seventh, but he probably wouldn't have. I do wish they'd said which one of them was second and which one third, though.

emarecksaykay
    edited April 2013
    xThanatoSx wrote: »
    It's going to be a long several days :D
    They always kind of are. But the wait between the second and third episodes of the day are the worst.

I suppose I'm grateful though, that they show you Mike and Jerry's decision in the same episode as the battle. If they'd gone with ye olde reality show trope of "wait till next week to find out who gets eliminated" I'd be bald.

er.

Bald-er.

I'm already pretty bald.
    I agree, especially after he had so painstakingly explained that he was trying to make the merit based decision to be an example for his kids and all...

But on the other hand, hopefully it gave Abby and Erika a confidence boost.

esob on
    TheKeckemarecksaykay
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    I gotta pull for the underdog here. Abby beating out a seasoned pro while staring down Mike's tangent abuse would be too great a moment to not root for.

Silver lining, so I don't have to feel bad for Erika losing: I can pretend Erika subconsciously wanted to go hang with Amy before she gets shipped back to BFE, New England.

Automata-Sg.png
    emarecksaykayCambiataBucho
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    So far, I've not really cared who wins on the eliminations, but Erika is my favorite, so I want Abby to go down in flames next time.

pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • ryanestradaryanestrada Registered User new member
    I'd have loved to have seen everyone make a mini as a challenge and sell THAT at a booth. To practice actually selling themselves instead of acting out a play wherein they do Penny Arcade.

Argus wrote: »
    So far, I've not really cared who wins on the eliminations, but Erika is my favorite, so I want Abby to go down in flames next time.
    Well, we don't want anyone to go down in flames. We want all 12 to give a good account of themselves. Abby I especially want to see make Mike change her mind about her. Whether it's a winning effort is another matter, but at the very least I want to see Abby go down swinging.

escheremarecksaykayBucho
  • AlexwrichardAlexwrichard Registered User regular
    "She'll be able to make it back" that got me riled. Abby is a total underdog, nervous, funny, and adorable. Tavis acted like she has no chance. It sounds like he just doesn't like her and chose her to get her off the show. At the very least his preference is clear.
    Go Team Tangent!

spillfishMKF36ETheSpyderBucho
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Monica drawing a dick on Khoo's abs is probably the greatest moment in this entire series. That was hilarious.
    Also, Tavis' rationale for choosing Erika was lame.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    Spman2099NotaCylonemarecksaykayFalxfraggyCambiatakedinik
  • WalterJKovacsWalterJKovacs Registered User regular
    Abby herself thinks she may be the weakest link at this point in the show, so the other artists can probably pick up on that. Win or lose, putting her up for elimination is the right thing at this point. If she is, in fact, the weak link, she'll end up going home at some point. If she wins, that will hopefully give her the confidence necessary to make it through the rest of the competition. It's better to take the shot and miss, than not take it at all. And, if nothing else, it's two people that haven't gone up for elimination yet. It would be a bit weird if one of the last two had never gone up for elimination.

And on the confidence issue, hopefully Abby takes the "you just picked 2nd and 3rd place" to heart. She did foreshadow her advantage for the elimination. She may have the edge on the 'funny' which seems to get a strong weight in the judging. I look forward to every episode. And win or lose, I'll probably be adding most of the webcomics to the list of stuff I keep up with.

LavidiusemarecksaykayBucho
  • J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Abby is the only contestant that actually makes me laugh, both in her interviews and in her actual comic (read it, people!). Therefore I insist that she persevere!

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
    emarecksaykayFearghaill
  • romangororomangoro Registered User regular
    Oh please someone make a gif of Abby's face when Graham says they where third and second.

Bucho
  • mastercactaurmastercactaur Registered User new member
    I just wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation for the use of product placement in this series. This is coming from a guy who cringes whenever he's watching a show on network television and the actors randomly start talking about how much they love the fuel efficiency in their new Ford Fusion. The final season of Chuck comes to mind as being one of the worst offenders in this department. Yeah, I understand that somebody's got to pay the bills and advertising in-show is a great way to earn some extra cash, but 9 times out of 10 it ends up feeling unnatural and it harms the artistic integrity of what the show is all about.

I have not had such an issue with the product placement seen thus far in Stripsearch. All of the products and companies that have been mentioned to date are things that plenty of artists would actually care about and be legitimately excited for. The winner gets a free WACOM Cintiq? I am insanely jealous. Design some campaign materials for Magic: The Gathering? That's pretty sweet too. Even the fake con challenges seem like they would be helpful in terms of giving the artists some much needed experience in that field.

I haven't been reading the other comments much so I don't know if any of this has been talked about to great extent, but basically I wanted to applaud the technical/business aspects of this show. So kudos to all those who refined Mike and Jerry's concept into such a well-oiled machine.

Speaking of machines, I feel like Jerry's acting is oddly mechanical for some reason. Normally I'd just chalk it up to him being uncomfortable in front of the camera, but we've seen him act perfectly normal plenty of times in the Penny Arcade Series. Maybe it's because he's following a script? Maybe he's just trying to be extra dramatic? I think Mike and Jerry have the ability to riff off each other to great comedic effect and some of that is lost during the portions where they are explaining the rules to the contestants. That is literally the only thing about this show that has bugged me thus far...that and the long intro sequence that I feel should be re-edited after each contestant leaves the show.
    Oh, and that go-karts have nothing to do with artistry...unless you're talking about go-kart artistry...gokartistry.

Anyways...thanks for the sweet show guys.

Trunkersemarecksaykayparmeisan
  • J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    @MASTERCACTAUR Jerry is playing a character very deliberately. It bugs you? I find it hilarious! :)

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
    emarecksaykayBucho
  • bingodanbingodan Registered User regular
    Go team tangent!

• wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    I think in fact Khoo wasn't being mean in this episode, he was just making some kind of quality test on the Penny Arcade products, and I do think I got one of the books that Khoo knocked over during this convention hehe.
    Kris Straub seemed too soft to be honest, was expecting him to be more of a "jerk" to throw people off. Maybe it's because episodes have a time limit and can't show everyone.
    Overall I liked all the artists, one thing I thought was strange was Erica drawing on a board on her arm, I know it might be how she feels more comfortable drawing but from my perspective and having very few interaction with the artist I would like to see her drawing, I love the process as much as the final result.

Can't wait for next elimination, traditional means used to make comics. :D

emarecksaykay