Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Sketch for Tips

• DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    For me it's less whether the judges give their opinions, and more about whether the winner even has any information at all. There's no way any of them had any more than the vaguest idea how ANYBODY else did in that challenge. Way too busy, way too crowded.

BuchoSpman2099KylieZDM
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, it's a false dichotomy to argue as if we're choosing between zero information and way too much information.

I definitely want more than zero information.

kedinik on
    BuchoTheSpyderKylieZDMparmeisan
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Lamp wrote: »
    To me it puts more pressure on the contestants to perform if they're competing not just for immunity, but at the very least for a higher level than the other contestants so that they have a better chance of staying clear of the drop zone. People making the "crutch" argument seem to think it's too easy on the winner if they can choose in relation to the task they've all just done. I think it's too easy on the others if they think their work in the task may not matter at all. And if anyone's going to get it easy it should be the person who earned it.

This makes the assumption that there's necessarily a strong correlation between the opinion of the judges and how the artists actually performed.

And you know what they say about assumptions ...

No really, do you know? Because I haven't the foggiest.

Bucho on
    Spman2099MKF36Elawragatajar
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    eagl wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    I'm not through it all yet, but not only did Monica perform precisely opposite to how I thought she would, she managed to draw a penis on Robert Khoo and get him to pay her for it. She wins on that alone. She wins everything. Name something. She wins it.

I like Monica's comic, her performance on the show so far, but this turned her into a superhero. Dick Abs, FTW!

I think she's going for godmode.
    Alejandro Alfonso ‏@fonse 5h

Why is @montiray's dick doodle on @rkhoo's abs not in the "art pieces from this challenge" section?
    Retweeted by Mahou Monica

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    I think Abby can win this. Erika is clearly a super sweet, absolutely lovely person, but I don't find her comics particularly funny. I reckon Abby will be able to make them laugh more, and that seems to be what matters.
    If Mike's getting out the tippex and making comments, she'll pay attention to her style and what he doesn't like about it, hopefully.

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I assume the tipex is to fix the tangent in the standup.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    yeah, which might mean she'll take his views on it into account when doing her comic, presumably :)

• DVGDVG Registered User regular
    Man I don't want Abby or Erika to go home.

It should be an interesting elimination to watch though. During the SS panel at PAX, Abby mentioned she works in traditional materials, so a non-digital artist going up against a digitial one will be interesting.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    kilroy214 wrote: »
    Monica drew a penis on Robert's stomach. If there was any doubt that she should win this competition, it has now been alleviated.

The funniest thing is that Khoo, having worked with artists for years, should have known in advance that if you fuck with an artist, sometimes art retribution happens. Of all people, he should have known what would happen. I bet if you mess with Mike enough, a dick or two in inappropriate places would be getting off easy.

One other thing I liked about this episode was the choice of venues. They could have rented or otherwise obtained some generic open space, maybe even cleared out some room in the PA merch warehouse, but instead they apparently found a nice gaming store and took the show there. Authentic, says a lot about the show producers being part of a community instead of making a show about someone else's community.

eagl on
    Bucho
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Nijhazer on
    ahdokElbasunumiaAusaCuriousPencilBuchoSpman2099FalxTofystedethKoopahTroopahCambiata
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One huge thing about Abby using traditional materials is this:

If she loses, this will be the first case of a comic being DESTROYED for real and for true. In all the other cases, it was just a very nice print-out of a digital comic being ruined, but here there's no digital copy to print from.

(This assumes they don't scan and print the comic anyway, but there's so much more drama in destroying the original here, yeah?)

ahdokBoardGameBodhisattva
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Abby using traditional materials is almost enough to swing me from team Katie to team Tangent... there are so few comics that use traditional media rather than digital. I'm looking forward to her talking to M&J about it, and why she chose to do so.

In my case, it's because I'm too cack-handed to figure out how to make my graphics tablet work properly :D

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    Im sure they'll scan it. It has to go up on the spoilers site after all.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    kedinik
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    This is the most awesome Khoo episode ever, he is truly crazy in this one but i love it : D

• GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    Zionad wrote: »
    Watching this episode has brought me to the conclusion that unless Im walking by throwing money at the artists, I really shouldnt go anywhere near them or their table.

Kurtz pretty much said this exact thing in a Webcomics Weekly podcast. At the time, I was very annoyed with it, but having seen booth barnacles in action in the form of Khoo, I understand what he was saying. I think.

Some things:

1) I was a bit surprised by Tavis winning, but I am guessing he got a lot of tips because he's a pretty personable guy, and like the artists said, he's been there before.

2) I do think that the results should have been given to him to help decide, just because he gets that info doesn't mean he has to act on it. I keep going back and forth on this issue. I guess it comes down to asking myself "How would I choose in that situation?"

3) I am amazed at how quickly Lexxy has become the "black hat" now that Amy is gone.

4) Generally speaking, Abby tends to have more quick punchline comics than Erika, but Erika has proved she can pass muster on PA strips, as is evidenced by her doing a guest strip in the past.

5)Speaking of guest strips, I knew exactly what she was referring to when she did the "Touching Weiners" quote in the next time clip.

6) Please, please, please spell the artist's names correctly when you post. Having an odd first name myself, I get annoyed when people screw it up in email, when the spelling is right there in my email address. And I'm not talking "missing a letter once", I'm talking "Travis", "Abbi", "Erica", "Lexi", "Alec", etc. Their names are right.frigging.there. And they are being used by every.other.poster on the thread. Don't just fucking invent your own spelling of someone's name.

7) Still Team Maki/Team Monica.

Bucho
  • Xander25Xander25 Registered User regular
    Finally Abby goes. I wouldn't put much money on her vs Erika. She's way out of her league with the rest of the Artists.

#TeamTavis

• LexxyLexxy Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    3) I am amazed at how quickly Lexxy has become the "black hat" now that Amy is gone.

lexxy_villain_zps89c0e798.gif

ElbasunuDVGSejarkielgrecosaurusSpman2099kedinikGoslingArbitraryDescriptorMKF36EvidLampelheberKalynarmiaAusaJermsgorillamanKochikensTofystedethKoopahTroopahseegruGamercowCambiataTheSpyder
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Nijhazer wrote: »

You're not allowed to post gifs over 500kb, might wanna change that to a link before you get an infraction from a roving mod.

Falx on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I think I might have laughed out loud at one of Tavis's comic strips. I laughed a couple of times at Ty's, more at Monica's, but Abby and Erika are the highest on the meter for producing actual audible human laughter. These are two of my top 3 artists, but I'm still rooting for Abby... largely because I think she'd benefit more from the confidence boost and advice.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    Reverendwyrm
    It's worth mentioning that Erika cannot be defeated yet because she is still destined to get revenge against Maki on Amy's behalf.

• DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    She is working with traditional media... there is a HUUUGE chance she requested the whiteout for working on her comic and not some plan to deface her stand-up.

• MrKoopaMrKoopa Registered User regular
    Honestly, Tavis could've just said, "Erika, Abby, you two haven't been to the Elimination Round yet. TWO ARTISTS ENTER! ONE ARTIST LEAVES!" ("... Except when no artists leave, or when we think the other artist didn't leave, but then they do later... well you get the point.")

If Monica and Lexxy go up for elimination next time, that'll leave 5 artists, all of whom will have successfully cleared an elimination challenge and will be ready for what's coming, and at least one who's been twice. The last few challenges will be ~amazing~.

• sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    ha! @lexxy that's fantastic.

hmm, i think i might look into becoming a black hat since there seems to be so little actual evil involved. and that drawing does makes it look like it might be kinda fun.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Gamercow wrote: »

lexxy_villain_zps89c0e798.gif

Oh, well done.

I think it's just, like you noted, a bit of overconfidence showing. It's not unfounded confidence- after all, we all know how close you got to being on the Strip Search staff instead of being a Strip Search contestant- but then again, you were marched out once already three days earlier, and I think more humility was expected.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    Lexxy's a black hat until she gets stuck back in the Thunderdome and walks out in the prescribed manner. The point about humility is fair, but even if she was ultra self-deprecating I think there would still be a certain sense of her needing to knock someone out directly before she's no longer viewed differently from the rest. I wasn't against the decision to bring her back, and I'm not against her doing well, but if she's going to be there I wish it was with something better than an 0-1 record.

BTW, am I the only one who thought Tavis looked like an unwilling executioner after Abby and Erika were sent away? It's like, "I've done what I need to do for my family... (sigh)"

Haters gonna hate.

Ain't a good reason to hate any of the Strip Searchees, but haters gonna hate.

Spman2099Jerms
    Lexxy's a black hat until she gets stuck back in the Thunderdome and walks out in the prescribed manner. The point about humility is fair, but even if she was ultra self-deprecating I think there would still be a certain sense of her needing to knock someone out directly before she's no longer viewed differently from the rest. I wasn't against the decision to bring her back, and I'm not against her doing well, but if she's going to be there I wish it was with something better than an 0-1 record.

BTW, am I the only one who thought Tavis looked like an unwilling executioner after Abby and Erika were sent away? It's like, "I've done what I need to do for my family... (sigh)"

The other artists haven't brought it up at all after the immediate time around her return, at least not on camera. As far as we've seen, the others pretty much instantly reintegrated her as a full member of the group. If they're all cool with it, I don't see any reason I can't be cool with it as well.

edited May 2013
    Amy was shaken up by Lexxy's return, and Tavis damn near ended up providing therapy to her over it.

But that was because she hadn't expected the rules might be altered to resurrect a formidable opponent back into the house, not because she had anything against Lexxy on a personal level.

kedinik on
    Cambiata
  • WwenWwen Registered User regular
    How many damsels will she put on railroad tracks before the show is over? Someone stop that villain!

"Freedom is on the march, but it gets winded rather quickly."
    kedinikCambiata
  • CoinageCoinage Registered User regular
    I know it's a traditional element of the format, but do we really need the Previously On at the beginning of every episode? The last episode was 4 days ago, and if we don't remember what happened... we can watch it again!
    Eh, also unlike a real tv show you can just skip it. I skip it and the intro every time, but I think it's more for if that is the first episode someone is watching.

#JusticeForTuvix
  • BionicDovakinBionicDovakin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Abby gets to finally meet Mike?

http://i.imgur.com/dHJJa.gif

BionicDovakin on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Damnit, I was really hoping the next made up villian would be an interesting one. Why couldn't you make up a ghost, hub threads, why you got to do the boring thing all the time.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    You're not allowed to post gifs over 500kb, might wanna change that to a link before you get an infraction from a roving mod.

Thanks for the heads-up.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wwen wrote: »
    How many damsels will she put on railroad tracks before the show is over? Someone stop that villain!

All of the damsels. She will even resurrect Alex from the house of the fallen to be one of the damsels.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    Lexxy
  • WwenWwen Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Damnit, I was really hoping the next made up villian would be an interesting one. Why couldn't you make up a ghost, hub threads, why you got to do the boring thing all the time.
    She's secretly plotting to win SS for her dark gods? Abby's cartoons have noodle arms, so maybe she's a pawn of Cthulhu. The drawings may be cute now, but one she starts making non-euclidean comic strips, your mind will be striped... of it's SANITY.

"Freedom is on the march, but it gets winded rather quickly."
    Cambiata
    Wwen wrote: »

All of the damsels. She will even resurrect Alex from the house of the fallen to be one of the damsels.

Lexxy is why there are no cameras there. On her way back, she came across Mac going the other way.

That black she used to draw her sketch up there? Those are his ashes.

CambiataLexxy
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The villains have always been Mike and Jerry.

ARTISTS RISE UP AND CAST DOWN THOSE TYRANTS

walrus.png
    kedinikBuchoCambiataSpman2099Fearghaillseegru
  • CurzonCurzon Registered User new member
    Is it just me, or did stealing things from the PA booths at cons just become the best game ever.

"No no Mr. Ocifer, I only "borrowed" it to score points in the game...."

• BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Lexxy may officially have a 0-1 record but it her losing piece was astoundingly good - probably my second favourite so far after Maki's - so even if I did view her differently from the rest it certainly wouldn't be in negative terms.

Her confidence is very well-founded, based in years upon years of hard work and no small amount of natural talent.

Bucho on
    CambiataSpman2099
  • j0ebotj0ebot Registered User new member
    I don't think people are giving Abby enough credit. Sure, her art skills aren't quite as fancy as the other artists (at least as far as the style of her comic goes, but remember she mentioned once that she's been trying different styles in her sketch book), but she can be very funny. Erika is an amazing artist, and her comic is great, but I feel like her comics are...deeper I guess. They have great messages and all, and I enjoy reading them, but I'm not sure if they really fit in with Penny Arcade. Yeah, I'm sure she's more than capable of producing comics that would fit in better, and she's definitely a strong competitor, but I feel like Abby has a decent chance as well, definitely more than most people seem to think.

BuchoSpman2099