Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Sketch for Tips

123457»

• kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    j0ebot wrote: »
    I don't think people are giving Abby enough credit. Sure, her art skills aren't quite as fancy as the other artists (at least as far as the style of her comic goes, but remember she mentioned once that she's been trying different styles in her sketch book), but she can be very funny. Erika is an amazing artist, and her comic is great, but I feel like her comics are...deeper I guess. They have great messages and all, and I enjoy reading them, but I'm not sure if they really fit in with Penny Arcade. Yeah, I'm sure she's more than capable of producing comics that would fit in better, and she's definitely a strong competitor, but I feel like Abby has a decent chance as well, definitely more than most people seem to think.

It's not that I'm discrediting Abby's skill or ability to rise to the occasion; I could see her surviving the round.

But Abby's comics feel to me like Erika's comics from back before Erika became even better at making great comics.

Abby seems in some fundamental web comic artist sense like a different version of Erika, only Abby's fighting a version of herself that powered up in a hyberbolic time chamber already. It's the hyberbolic time chamber of ten years worth of real life nose-to-the-grindstone web comic work.

She probably needs to KO Erika with a hail-mary spirit bomb.

[/tortured metaphor]

kedinik on
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    What Mike and Jerry seem to be looking for above all else is a strip that makes them laugh out loud. Abby is more than capable of that. Her "thing in the fridge" strip still makes me laugh just thinking about it. ;)

I think it's going to be way more even than some people think.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yeah I give Abby a lot of credit for making a bunch of funny comics.

The problem is that Erika can also make really funny comics and also has more polished art (sorry Abby I still love you!).

Still there's no way to know what will happen during the elimination. I think Abby has a chance for sure.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Damnit, I was really hoping the next made up villian would be an interesting one. Why couldn't you make up a ghost, hub threads, why you got to do the boring thing all the time.

Cambiata, you are tiresome.

Nijhazer
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    j0ebot wrote: »
    I don't think people are giving Abby enough credit. Sure, her art skills aren't quite as fancy as the other artists (at least as far as the style of her comic goes, but remember she mentioned once that she's been trying different styles in her sketch book), but she can be very funny. Erika is an amazing artist, and her comic is great, but I feel like her comics are...deeper I guess. They have great messages and all, and I enjoy reading them, but I'm not sure if they really fit in with Penny Arcade. Yeah, I'm sure she's more than capable of producing comics that would fit in better, and she's definitely a strong competitor, but I feel like Abby has a decent chance as well, definitely more than most people seem to think.

It's not that I'm discrediting Abby's skill or ability to rise to the occasion; I could see her surviving the round.

But Abby's comics feel to me like Erika's comics from back before Erika became even better at making great comics.

Abby seems in some fundamental web comic artist sense like a different version of Erika, only Abby's fighting a version of herself that powered up in a hyberbolic time chamber already. It's the hyberbolic time chamber of ten years worth of real life nose-to-the-grindstone web comic work.

She probably needs to KO Erika with a hail-mary spirit bomb.

[/tortured metaphor]

I see them as having VERY different styles. I don't think it does Abby justice to say that she is a primitive version of Erika. Personally, I think Abby is VERY funny; that type of thing is nearly impossible to learn, you need to be born with it. While I most certainly wouldn't say that Erika is unfunny, I don't think she has the same kind of viscerally impactful humor that Abby so effortlessly wields. I don't know, I think Abby may be the safer bet going into this face-off. I think people are sleeping on Abby; it won't require a spirit bomb for her to win, she just needs to be herself.

Bucho
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I think this is going to be one where the wastebasket is the big factor. If anything raunchy comes out of there, Abby's probably getting rolled because that's Erika's wheelhouse, but with more neutral topics she can easily pull ahead of Erika.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Curzon wrote: »
    Is it just me, or did stealing things from the PA booths at cons just become the best game ever.

"No no Mr. Ocifer, I only "borrowed" it to score points in the game...."
    It's just you.

walrus.png
    PavioImperfectenderandrew
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

Abby's comics feel to me like Erika's comics from back before Erika became even better at making great comics.

Don't worry! There are plans in the works & that's all I can say without spoiling it.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    shiser
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I'm rooting for Abby because it would be so, so satisfying to see Mike eat his words about tangents. Plus, she's the underdog.

I read all of her comic a few nights ago. She's pretty funny, even though I'm not a fan of her schtick. Erika's comics, I haven't read yet. But still, I think it would be great to see Abby win.

sig.gif
    Paviopiersnica
  • DemonicoreoDemonicoreo Registered User regular
    Not sure if this idea has been said or not, but not at a point where I have time to search the thread. There needs to be a special pinny that is given out by Khoo at PAX's for people who manage to either draw or tape a picture of a penis on him. Could make it like a special hour long hide and go seek event or something.

Fuck it. The vocal Lexxy fanatics are fucking pants on head retarded.
    shiser
  • Agent0fN0thingAgent0fN0thing Registered User regular
    I'm rooting for Abby in this elimination, if only because she is the underdog. I feel confident, however, that either way, it will be hilarious!

Pavio
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    PeterBman wrote: »
    Damnit, I was really hoping the next made up villian would be an interesting one. Why couldn't you make up a ghost, hub threads, why you got to do the boring thing all the time.

Cambiata, you are tiresome.

Look I'm not saying you're terrible at character creation, but

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    Look I'm not saying you're terrible at character creation, but

But nobody created anything, don't you see?

I'd really just love to hear what villainous traits people made up.

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    This is going to be a tough one to watch I like both alot, I've really become attached to everyone on Strip searc

CambiatakedinikBoardGameBodhisattva
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    It's that time again.
    To put cucumbers in our ears?
    To make the Fox censors cry?

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • shisershiser Registered User regular
    Literally every time I've stayed up for a new episode it's been late, and every time I don't bother it's up like clockwork :-P

Nijhazeremarecksaykay
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    shiser wrote: »
    Literally every time I've stayed up for a new episode it's been late, and every time I don't bother it's up like clockwork :-P

I am the sad man that always stays up for it...

• MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    So sleepy, but must have elimination...

Spman2099
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Only just watched this episode. Go Abby! You've got this.

emarecksaykay
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    While we wait for the new episode, I went and looked at the spoilers for this one, to see the sketches. If there was a prize for best sketch, I'd give it to Katie. The one she did of Jamie is outstanding. At a real con, that's the sort of thing that would be highly treasured loot. Forget personal connection, if you go home with something you can frame, that's pretty sweet.

Honorable mentions for Tavis' Robot Luv Corgi, and Erika in general.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Katie's for Khalil wasn't bad either. Katie just straight-up rocked it.

Gethemarecksaykay
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Yeah, all of Katie's were pretty good. I've been routinely impressed with her artistic skills since nearly the beginning of the show.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    Pretty much all of the sketches were good, but I dunno I'd consider framing any of them. That's not a dig, these are meant as sketches, not wall art. Still, if I were to pick one that looked most worthy of a frame and a spot on someone's wall, I'd have to agree that the Katie/Jamie sketch most fits the bill.

edited May 2013
    It's up, but it's 27 minutes and I can't hang on that long. So I'll watch in the morning.

Gosling on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I have decided to nominate Kris Straub for Tim Gunn next season. If they want to hire a guy whose job it is to be supportive and good on camera, he is the guy to do it.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    If only Monica had provided this sketch to the competition, she'd have won for sure! Also she is exactly as super nice as you would assume from seeing her on the show!
    d3vfeh2

Falx
123457»