As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Oculus Rift+STEM+Omni] IGN best hardware '13, Best of CES 2 years running

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Perhaps he's suggesting the rift causes death?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    No the dev kit failed 4 weeks later.

That is how I'm going to parse that comment.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Bit late coming in here but I tried the new rift at gdc and a very similar one a few months earlier so hit me if y'all have questions

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

For the first time I'm a little glad that Facebook bought Occulus now.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Bit late coming in here but I tried the new rift at gdc and a very similar one a few months earlier so hit me if y'all have questions

How awesome was it? So awesome?

JtgVX0H.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Nalouto wrote: »
    and died four weeks later.

sorry, had to add it.

was a really sweet story though.

What the hell

• Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    What do you think a reasonable price is for a dev kit 1? I'm negotiating with a seller.

Sharp10r on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure the devkit1 would go for any less than it's original $300 asking price, to be honest. I wouldn't sell mine for less than that.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I can negotiate with mine. Just buy me a PS4 or update my PC and we'll call it even :)

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm debating selling or keeping mine come dev kit 2. I just wish I could buy some spare time to actually play with the SDK though, that was the whole reason for me buying it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Wow. Based on what you all are saying- I did pretty good with the DK1 rift I bought today. It's a crazy story- I'm in Albuquerque, NM for a conference- only here for a few days but when I go to conferences, I check Craigslist for local deals I may not find at home. Lo and Behold, I see the rift on there. Now I thought the guy was taking me to the cleaners for what he was asking (250) since it's DK1- but bit anyways. It almost didn't work out- he was busy today- but made time to meet me. I'm in a hotel where i paid for premium internet access tonight (it's so slow!) and I'm updating steam and downloading demos. At some point I'll have to search the thread for when you all said which demos were the best...but for now, I'm just going to do SOMETHING because waiting ALL DAY and working a conference with this thing under the table was driving me nuts! Future here I come.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The thing about the DK1 is that while right now they aren't very interesting since the DK2 is available and the consumer version is probably <12 months away, they eventually will be interesting as the first publicly available Oculus Rift. And although they sold quite a lot of them for such a niche item (latest estimates put the total around 60,000 first version devkits, with 25,000 second versions sold) if it does take off in a huge way, those 60,000 will be rare as balls.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    those 60,000 will be rare as balls.

How rare can those be? I mean, I have two.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

And like 49% of the population has them. So you could practically give 1 to every single person in the world.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

And like 49% of the population has them. So you could practically give 1 to every single person in the world.

More than 50% even!

That means everyone could have one with some spares for emergency use.

I am SUCH a wuss. Downloaded Affected- and as the
    door opened after the ouiji board said run- I hit ESC.
    My maxed out early 2014 MBP (in Windows 7) was only getting like 10 fps in Fast mode... don't know if that's normal or not.

7736794.jpg

Ocean Rift. 'Nuff said.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/1/5671670/carmack-oculus-zenimax

Zenimax is asserting that Carmack improperly provided technology from Id Software (which is all property of Zenimax) to Oculus Rift. I assume they're probably going to settle this quietly.

Dehumanized on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    "It looks like you've been bought out for $2,000,000,000. Here is our lawsuit alleging we own all your IP."

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Taking a completely wild guess (always a good start) I'd speculate that they're claiming ownership of any work Carmack performed for Oculus while he was on a Zenimax contract. I am probably completely wrong.

forumsig.png
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Taking a completely wild guess (always a good start) I'd speculate that they're claiming ownership of any work Carmack performed for Oculus while he was on a Zenimax contract. I am probably completely wrong.

I don't understand what line of thought was going through someone's head at Zenimax. "Let's sue that small company backed with Facebook billions and it's lawyers, yeah, that sounds like a good idea." Like - I think you dropped the ball on this one by six or so months. Just asking for a stupid long drawn out battle that they almost surely won't win.

Well if they own the code that he wrote, and that code is being used by Oculus, then.. wouldn't that mean that Zenimax own the code that's being used by Oculus?

forumsig.png
    Well if they own the code that he wrote, and that code is being used by Oculus, then.. wouldn't that mean that Zenimax own the code that's being used by Oculus?

How does Zenimax know unless someone gave it to them to examine it? Carmack is a programming genius - If he wanted to write something similar to what he had done before, that's not illegal, and that's what I imagine the twitter from Carmack is saying.

edited May 2014
    "The proprietary technology and know-how Mr. Carmack developed when he was a ZeniMax employee, and used by Oculus, are owned by ZeniMax. Well before the Facebook transaction was announced, Mr. Luckey acknowledged in writing ZeniMax's legal ownership of this intellectual property. It was further agreed that Mr. Luckey would not disclose this technology to third persons without approval. Oculus has used and exploited ZeniMax's technology and intellectual property without authorization, compensation or credit to ZeniMax."

ZeniMax says they have Oculus' CEO in writing saying he acknowledges their ownership of this property and that he agreed not to share it to such as Facebook. They're likely going to settle.

Dehumanized on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    "The proprietary technology and know-how Mr. Carmack developed when he was a ZeniMax employee, and used by Oculus, are owned by ZeniMax. Well before the Facebook transaction was announced, Mr. Luckey acknowledged in writing ZeniMax's legal ownership of this intellectual property. It was further agreed that Mr. Luckey would not disclose this technology to third persons without approval. Oculus has used and exploited ZeniMax's technology and intellectual property without authorization, compensation or credit to ZeniMax."

ZeniMax says they have Oculus' CEO in writing saying he acknowledges their ownership of this property and that he agreed not to share it to such as Facebook. They're likely going to settle.

This may actually not be a terrible thing.

If Zenimax ends up with a licensing deal where they stand to profit from sales of the Rift (the most likely settlement), then it would behoove them to write software that utilizes the rift, further increasing device sales, and profits from both sides.

It suck getting pinched like this when you are Oculus, but this may end up being a net positive, getting a major AAA publisher on-board for rift development.

Which would be hilarious, since Carmack supposedly left because they were not interested in VR or the Rift at the time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

This may actually not be a terrible thing.

If Zenimax ends up with a licensing deal where they stand to profit from sales of the Rift (the most likely settlement), then it would behoove them to write software that utilizes the rift, further increasing device sales, and profits from both sides.

It suck getting pinched like this when you are Oculus, but this may end up being a net positive, getting a major AAA publisher on-board for rift development.

Which would be hilarious, since Carmack supposedly left because they were not interested in VR or the Rift at the time.

Or they'll go "we got their money already, so fuck 'em."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Can they actually name what it is that they think they have rights to? Can they actually nail that down and say what it is? The ambiguity just reeks of having nothing to stand on.

We'll get back there someday.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The article says that Zenimax has been grumbling about this since 2012, so it's not a super-new development. Or grumbling in the last year, or something.

edited May 2014
    Yeah, this is not a new dispute it's just the first that it's been reported on.

GSM wrote: »
    Can they actually name what it is that they think they have rights to? Can they actually nail that down and say what it is? The ambiguity just reeks of having nothing to stand on.

The CEO of Rift admitted in writing that he broke their agreement

Dehumanized on
    What news article says that? Everything I've read so far only has Palmer acknowledging that proprietary ZeniMax IP exists and that he doesn't have rights to use it -- not that he has used it.

What technology is in dispute here? Is it the pre-warping? Is it the lens arrangement? Is it the chromatic aberration compensation? The lack of specifics is pretty damning.

GSM wrote: »
    What news article says that? Everything I've read so far only has Palmer acknowledging that proprietary ZeniMax IP exists and that he doesn't have rights to use it -- not that he has used it.

What technology is in dispute here? Is it the pre-warping? Is it the lens arrangement? Is it the chromatic aberration compensation? The lack of specifics is pretty damning.

it's zenimax's statement to the press

which does not need to be in-depth, as it is a statement to the press

Here's the in-depth, then.

http://recode.net/2014/05/01/heres-the-agreement-oculus-allegedly-broke-according-to-zenimax/

It's a generic NDA they signed so Oculus could give out Rift-enabled Doom BFG Edition to kickstarter backers, which never materialized anyway. The only concrete thing mentioned is VR Testbed software, which would be pretty unlikely to still be in use at Oculus.

...unless they're claiming Carmack's brain is their property? They do claim ownership of all "information contained in files, letters, memoranda, reports, records, data, sketches, drawings, notebooks, program listing, or otherwise written, photographic, or other tangible, intangible, or other materials, which shall come into the receiving party's custody or possession."

Never sign NDAs, kids.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    A lot of contracts with technology companies have a "anything you invent while working here is something we own." It's to prevent an employee from coming up with a new technology or idea, go "I could make way more on this on m own" and then quit, taking the information with them. And they can't just go "Well, you say you only worked on it in your own personal time, so we have no claim" because of course anyone who does this is going to say they only worked on it in their personal time, and rather than have to going through the extensive process to try and prove otherwise, they can just claim at the outset that everything you do belongs to them and if you want to own your ideas, you need to do it while not working here.

Well, it's because of that and also because corporations are greedy assholes.

Carmack put this out about his work on twitter.

Lunysgwen wrote: »

And frankly, are you going to argue with John Carmack? He's probably the best person in the world to know the origin and intent of each line of code here.

forumsig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    That's when Zenimax could come back with "But he's a big fat doody head liar" and demand a subpoena for all of the info on their entire CVS so they can try to catch Carmack committing code from within Zenimax's lease of his mind.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    Lunysgwen wrote: »

And frankly, are you going to argue with John Carmack? He's probably the best person in the world to know the origin and intent of each line of code here.

Not just that - we're talking about -John Carmack.- Taking a look at his history of what he does - I'm fully inclined to believe him. He's no stranger to hard work and he's extremely smart. I honestly believe Zeni just see a possible cash cow here, possibly to fix the gaping wound that is ESO.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "We hear you just came into a large sum of money. We like money.. Give us all of your money."