Options

nVidia drivers failing to install *UPDATE*

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
I've been having some trouble with nv4_disp.dll causing BSODs so I decided to try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. For some reason, every time I attempt to install the newest driver (314.22) the installer says that it has failed to install the driver. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. I've tried multiple times as well as restarting the PC. Windows XP SP3, the card in question is a nVidia GTX 460.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sounds like possible corrupted drivers or incomplete removal of old drivers?

Try a driver sweeper, this is supposed to be pretty good.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    No luck I'm afraid, it still fails to install the driver. I've had trouble updating to new drivers for some time now, but I figured a clean install would work. Could it be the card itself causing these issues?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    So I figured I'd update this, it looks like my HDD is failing and might be the cause of the installation errors. I've got a new drive to put it in and I'd like to transfer some files over, but not all of them in case Windows has any registry errors. Is there a good tool to transfer just a few things over?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you're running a desktop computer.

Just install the new drive, go to the BIOS and set it as the first boot drive, then install Windows on it. Do all this without doing anything to your old drive. Then load into your new Windows install and copy whatever files you want off the old HDD.

As long as you're only after your own files and don't mess with copying old Windows OS files over, then it should have no effect at all on your new install.

After that uninstall the dying drive, or reformat it and use it as you wish until it dies.

• Options
    Thanks!

JKKaAGp.png