As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Defenders mechanically aren't so much tanks as roadblocks in 4e.

You slap em down confident the enemy can't do much to them and that their zone of control and marks will prevent enemies acting effectively around him.

How to do that in Neverwinters MMO agro mechanics I'm not sure.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    hm, i wanted to make a wizard based on control and recharge speed, but i can't see any really good control powers?

it looks like there's singularity and the patch of ice thing i guess. ice rays seems good but it's very high level and only two targets

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    hm, i wanted to make a wizard based on control and recharge speed, but i can't see any really good control powers?

it looks like there's singularity and the patch of ice thing i guess. ice rays seems good but it's very high level and only two targets

Singularity is amazing, it's way better than the starter daily. It sits there for about 5 seconds at first and slowly draws enemies into it. When they get fully drawn in, they all get popped up into the air together when it explodes. It's fantastic.

The ice shard encounter spell they start with is mainly direct damage, but it also freezes the target for a few seconds when it hits them.

There's another encounter spell unlocked at level 10 I think that's basically Jedi force choke, that locks a target down for a good while.

At level 15, you unlock Repel which pushes stuff away from you, and it has a pretty low cooldown.

I don't know about later powers, but for now I feel controlly.

Wizards have a weird mechanic where whatever they have in their tab slot gains extra abilities. I put my ice shard spell in there and it turns it into an area effect damage spell, but if you put the blizzard spell (forgot what it's called, the one where you pick a target and an ice storm follows them around) on tab, it slows all enemies affected by it. If you put force choke in there, it lasts longer and also sucks all enemies closer to the target for a couple seconds.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So curiously what would your guys top 3 classes be in terms of want?

I'm thinking Bard, Seeker and paladin.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.....

Though it's touching somebody out there remembers the Seeker.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i was just expecting more aoe control powers, i guess. like an aoe force choke or something

and more control support from feats/paragon. they mostly seem like damage buffs

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I get what you're saying. I think they have to severely limit that kind of stuff to dailies and maybe a very small amount of encounter powers, otherwise a wizard could keep everything locked down forever. As it is right now, it feels really good to lock things down, but you can't faceroll stuff by spamming your powers either. It's a nice happy medium.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited May 2013
    yeah, that's deffo true

now i might make a GWF though :o

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I think one only needs additional character slots if one has account unlocks to share. With a f2p game, one can have as many characters as one cares for on secondary accounts.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So I think one only needs additional character slots if one has account unlocks to share. With a f2p game, one can have as many characters as one cares for on secondary accounts.

There's also managing friends lists and stuff as that's also account wide.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    You know, I really hate it in groups when all the mobs have gotten bunched up in a nice tight little AoE, perfect for my Cleric to rain group-wide death on...

...and then the Wizard of the party goes "I'M HELPING :o " and does an AoE knockback to scatter them all to kingdom come just in time for my orbital death laser to hit absolutely nothing.

THIS

ALL OF THIS

Wizards, please

please stop using Ice Storm as your daily

signed,

everyone who uses aoe powers

Wizards hate it too, or at least I do. I really hate when a melee character knocks a group away from each other right when I case my AoE.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Singularity is amazing, it's way better than the starter daily. It sits there for about 5 seconds at first and slowly draws enemies into it. When they get fully drawn in, they all get popped up into the air together when it explodes. It's fantastic.

The ice shard encounter spell they start with is mainly direct damage, but it also freezes the target for a few seconds when it hits them.

There's another encounter spell unlocked at level 10 I think that's basically Jedi force choke, that locks a target down for a good while.

At level 15, you unlock Repel which pushes stuff away from you, and it has a pretty low cooldown.

I don't know about later powers, but for now I feel controlly.

Wizards have a weird mechanic where whatever they have in their tab slot gains extra abilities. I put my ice shard spell in there and it turns it into an area effect damage spell, but if you put the blizzard spell (forgot what it's called, the one where you pick a target and an ice storm follows them around) on tab, it slows all enemies affected by it. If you put force choke in there, it lasts longer and also sucks all enemies closer to the target for a couple seconds.

The skills on tab also gain stacks of arcane mastery or something like that. I still haven't figured out how that works.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    You know who doesn't have a knock back? Rogues. See we're the bros you want.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I

there's also managing friends lists and stuff as that's account wide.

But that's not worth $5 or whatever.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I

Fair enough. I've actually only used one slot for my GWF. The second slot is sitting there waiting for them to release the right class, Warlord, so I can make the true and proper heir to the name Phenyhelm.

I

Fair enough. I've actually only used one slot for my GWF. The second slot is sitting there waiting for them to release the right class, Warlord, so I can make the true and proper heir to the name Phenyhelm.

Pfft Warlords are just Wanna be Bards whose daddy couldn't afford to put through singing classes.
    8-)

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Levelled a guardian warrior to 22 or 23 so far. Skirmishes feel like mayhem; you just smash everything you see. Dungeons seem about the same, with possibly a little more caution regarding foward movement. The game was a little potion chuggy until I got my healer companion and now I haven't used one since. I do like that my companion comes into the dungeon / skirmish with the party. They need to add more companion customization; it's distracting to see the same model everywhere. Just steal LOTR's skirmish companion stuff. Allow for different cosmetic armors, hair etc. We all know they'll sell those in the real money store, but whatever. Haven't figured out how to get her an upgraded...symbol? Idol? Something. Did get the defense slot upgrade.

Some of the mechanics made me laugh, like invoking every hour, daily refining, things to make sure you log in and get them done like my cooldowns in WoW. The game is pretty enough, but the instancing is disappointing; I want an open world Faerun, not a bunch of little maps. Describing some powers as daily was bizarre, I was thinking they were truly once a day, which would be retarded - but they simply require charging up via doing damage / getting punched in the head.

Think I might STO this - get to the end and find nothing to do and quit. Still, fun little alternative to WoW downtime.

edited May 2013
    I

Pfft Warlords are just Wanna be Bards whose daddy couldn't afford to put through singing classes.
    8-)

You, good sir, have spoken fighting words. While you are singing songs I will be busy actually doing something useful like inspiring my comrades in combat by showing them new and amazing ways to eviscerate my enemies using nothing but my blade and deft skills. :p

Seidkona on
    I

8-)

You, good sir, have spoken fighting words. While you are singing songs I will be busy actually doing something useful like inspiring my comrades in combat by showing them new and amazing ways to eviscerate my enemies using nothing but my blade and deft skills. :p

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over Maerhe's sixth inspiring lullaby of vengeance. I'm sure it was terribly uncultured words you were muttering anyway.

Also they're named dailies and encounters because that's what 4e does. It's a neat system even if a tad confusing to new comers.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Also they're named dailies and encounters because that's what 4e does. It's a neat system even if a tad confusing to new comers.

Yeah, they tied it neatly into real-time combat.

It also feels really MOBA-like, with four abilities with shortish cooldowns and then one ultimate with a long cooldown.

edited May 2013
    I just know that I have shoved a pike so far down an orcs gullet that everyone around me is feeling rather motivated.

Maybe after battle we could go to an inn and you could sing me to sleep as I'll need it as all of this battle making my sleep rather troubled.

Seidkona on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    So, anyone that played my quest last night I apologize, I'm going to revamp the dungeon because it is terribly boring and hard to navigate.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    After running hours of tier 2 epic dungeons now, I'm happy to say that every class is very useful. And this stuff about cleric not being a full healer... well its kinda true, but they are still stupidly important. The tier 1 epic dungeons you can do without one, but some of the tier 2 ones I would say they are needed.

Same with guardian fighters, ya they don't tank like in the standard MMO trinity... but the ones I've had in tier 2 groups are really useful and hold threat on most things.

Tier 2 is basically more adds though. Like TONS more. Some bosses you have a single rogue go and solo the boss while everyone just sits on a big pile of AOE and adds.

Ideally though a party with one of each class is possibly the best setup. Cleric however is the one class you will want for sure.

Well, that's reassuring. I do like that the game manages to break away from the typical trinity of Tank, DPS, Healer... despite loving how well that trinity tends to work out.

@am0n

I've been building around threat and damage. Mitigation doesn't really seem to be an issue (at least not this early, lvl 30ish), but I am trying to improve shield blocking where I can.

IHZR47b.png
    So, anyone that played my quest last night I apologize, I'm going to revamp the dungeon because it is terribly boring and hard to navigate.

Let me know when you open the doors to it for players and I'll put it up in the OP.

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't feeling the control part of the wizard until mid teens, at that point they should just change the combat music to "can't touch this".

Now if I could just get the game to stop dropping ac/deflection/defense robes that would be greaaat.

Kinda sad orb of color spray wasn't an upgrade for me, that spell has created such hilarious situations in our tabletop games.

Is tailoring eventually a useful skill? I've been doing leadership and should hit 5 with that pretty soon, getting tailoring to 2 opened I think like level 5 gear, whoopee. Wondering what level I would need for 30+ stuff and if its even worth it.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I really really want Paladins to be a class soon.

Pally for best tank of all time.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I finally did a skirmish again. Last one I did was about 38ish. Got over 2 million damage during it, which is pretty awesome. Other rogue was 3 levels lower than me and I beat her by 500k. Skirmishes go from managed chaos to a huge clusterfuck as you level.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So I played this a good bit this weekend, tried some PvP - which reminded me of DAoC with its infuriating amount of loss-of-control bullshit, tried some skirmishes, did not have time to try Cloak Tower but hopefully I will this week.

I really, really enjoy this game. An MMO hasn't made me feel this sense of wonder in a long time. Enough is similar that it overall makes sense but enough is different that it feels fresh and new. I'm in love with the combat. It isn't like WoW or SWTOR where fighting to and from a quest objective feels like chore.

I even think they've handled the cash shop well. The prices are a bit too high on most things but I haven't ever felt like (aside from the broadcasts about people getting epic mounts) I'm being slapped in the face with reasons why I'm terrible for not giving them money which has had the effect of me wanting to give them money.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I decided on a dps cleric, the beam of light nuke is fun so far

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    Also can I just say, for all the awesome deeps duelist flurry is the requirement to stand and do the full 3 hit chain makes is annoying as hell and I only ever use it on thugs upwards.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    The cleric has a few ion cannons. One daily that's Akira style and the other being like a kid with a magnifying glass to an ant hill.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    I tried a control wizard companion with my control wizard to see if it was extra lolertastic.

It is not.

So then Sangred had pity on me and helped me get a cleric, as I should have done.

Everytime I wonder why I am putting up with some flaw in the game I realize that the combat just feels so good that while I am actually playing it the problems I have with the game sort of submerge into my consciousness.

They did such a great job giving weight and choice to the combat system in this game.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I tried a control wizard companion with my control wizard to see if it was extra lolertastic.

It is not.

So then Sangred had pity on me and helped me get a cleric, as I should have done.

Tank companion is pretty great with you CW as well.

I have over 40 potions since I never use them now thanks to my tank.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The first companion you get max ranks pretty quick. I am still trying to level up the puppy as he is a purple and so goes up to 30. But for solo PVE everyone takes cleric first :)

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got a Phoera out of a lockbox. Only selling on the AH for like 300k. May just use it since it's a companion that can go to level 30 and as a cleric, a striker is a nice companion to have. Anyone use one yet?

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Still banned, still no message why. Fan-fucking-tastic.

I wish pets were multi role.

I want a cool pet, but most of the cool pets are terriersi mean strikers.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    At first I absolutely hated the Man-at-Arms on my Cleric, but I've kinda warmed up to him and his stupid eternal flexing.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    My control wizard points and laughs at me all the time. I don't know why.

I'm back in the high school gym showers.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I got a Phoera out of a lockbox. Only selling on the AH for like 300k. May just use it since it's a companion that can go to level 30 and as a cleric, a striker is a nice companion to have. Anyone use one yet?

If you do end up using it let me know how good of a striker it is. I already have the founder dog so I wasnt to quick on wanting to get another striker when the dog is so good at what he does.