Options

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You know, at first I felt ashamed of just having a meagre terrier rather than some over sized direwolf thingy.

Then I realised my terrier was capable of full body tackling ogres.

Get on my canines level people.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Fighting Rhazzad as a wizard again like I did the first time in CB was great. It really felt like a wizard's duel, even if he did eventually turn into a bloated vomit monster.

Spoilered in case anyone hasn't gotten there yet and doesn't see it coming from a mile away.

I think this game is solid enough with the combat and Foundry system to be able to last a while. I'm still looking at it as a way to wait for Wildstar, but it might potentially be a good cushion if that ends up tanking.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    For a game I'm literally paying nothing for, this is much more fun than it has any right to be. Just wish the armor variation (in terms of aesthetics) didn't scream "free MMO".

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Made a new account, Aevoxis@aeviatrix

• Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    This might be a silly question, but what am I missing with regards to hotkeys and encounter skills?
    Near as I can tell, you get three (3) hotkeys for encounter skills - namely Q, E, and R.
    Please tell me there are ways to map more than just three encounter skills to hotkeys - or is that really all you get?
    If you really do only get 3 slots, is there a way to change them out faster than stopping, opening your Powers menu, and mapping the skills from scratch...?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    This might be a silly question, but what am I missing with regards to hotkeys and encounter skills?
    Near as I can tell, you get three (3) hotkeys for encounter skills - namely Q, E, and R.
    Please tell me there are ways to map more than just three encounter skills to hotkeys - or is that really all you get?
    If you really do only get 3 slots, is there a way to change them out faster than stopping, opening your Powers menu, and mapping the skills from scratch...?

It definitely seems like the game is built around having your 2 at-wills (left and right mouse), 3 encounters (qer), and 2 dailies (1 and 2).

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    zhen_rogue wrote: »

That's part of the design philosophy of the game. You have to choose what you want active when you fight and do not have access to all of your power base at the same time.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Be glad they let you swap out your powers any time you're not in combat and not just when you're at a campsite, which is when you really should only be able to.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »

There's some grumbling on the official forums about people making "exploitative" foundry maps getting temp-banned, maybe this is what happened to you? I'd check and see if your map is still up, but the foundry mission system seems to be down right now.

• Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    Thanks for the clarification all - I was afraid there was an obvious game function I was missing.
    This makes playing a "utility" class more challenging indeed.

• Options

There's some grumbling on the official forums about people making "exploitative" foundry maps getting temp-banned, maybe this is what happened to you? I'd check and see if your map is still up, but the foundry mission system seems to be down right now.

To be safe I'm going to remove mention of this map from the OP. If we find out it's safe later I can put it up again.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Why even bother with a foundry map that speeds up the leveling... this is already the absolute fastest leveling in an MMO of this type. Seriously, 30-45 mins for level 59-60 if you simply do the solo quest content. The amount of a level people said there were getting on some of those foundry maps was actually less than simply doing normal quests too, like when I hear "I got 1/4 of a level in 15 mins on a foundry map"... that's LESS than just questing.

I could easily get a new character to 60 in a single weekend of gaming. The real funny part is that people paid hundreds of dollars to "power level" using leadership profession exp... that probably saved them all of 20 hours total.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Ok so for whatever reason the https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ decides at random that it can't "finish" a crafting task until you login to the game.

But if I log in with a mobile phone it all works just fine. Well at least I have an option at work (that works) to babysit my crafting.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Still the only thing that really bothers me so far is that, when playing a halfling, you can't zoom the camera in, and thus my UI keeps obscuring my lower half

Yes I know you can hit "B" but that isn't permanent.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Why even bother with a foundry map that speeds up the leveling... this is already the absolute fastest leveling in an MMO of this type. Seriously, 30-45 mins for level 59-60 if you simply do the solo quest content. The amount of a level people said there were getting on some of those foundry maps was actually less than simply doing normal quests too, like when I hear "I got 1/4 of a level in 15 mins on a foundry map"... that's LESS than just questing.

I could easily get a new character to 60 in a single weekend of gaming. The real funny part is that people paid hundreds of dollars to "power level" using leadership profession exp... that probably saved them all of 20 hours total.

I think it's less about the leveling and more about the farming gold. On some level people are trying to make accelerated cash and they are trying to protect the economy by stopping this behavior.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gold isn't the economy, just diamonds.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Gold can be converted to diamonds through the AH.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Gold can be converted to diamonds through the AH.

I suspect that no matter what they do, eventually gold will devalue so badly that the ratio will be ridiculous.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

I think it's less about the leveling and more about the farming gold. On some level people are trying to make accelerated cash and they are trying to protect the economy by stopping this behavior.

Do people even get a lot of gold from foundry stuff? I would think a GWF or some other AOE heavy class just soloing the starter 60 epics would get massive green vendor trash for tons of gold. Even with a group I end up with a couple gold worth of vendor trash in a dungeon run.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    It's pretty clear that Neverwinter really is just another Cryptic MMO, only this time around they took some time developing it.
    You got multiple confusing currencies, convoluted real money infusion, dailies all over the place in order to draw in players, linear content path, yadda, yadda.
    The linearity of it all might come back and bite them in the ass, like it has with CO and STO, as I doubt many people will be interested in trying out new classes (it's like 5$ for two new character slots beyond the two innitial ones, right?) once they've regrinded the same content, along the same path, multiple times.

Sure, you can level up through PVP/skirmishes, but some people do not like those alternate paths. That's where the much improved Foundry system might come into play, but Foundry quests - as creative as they can get - will always have to rely on assets already found in the game, whereas developers can create new tiles/models/monsters for novel content (in addition to voicing the content).

It remains to see whether Neverwinter will do better than STO (Which has been doing respectable afaik) or end up like another CO (I highly doubt that, this got that brand awareness going for it much like STO).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Plus the pvp sucks.

• Options
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.

What is the number one thing players have historically wanted from their dungeons in an MMO? It's not better quest text (which foundry provides).

It's unique boss mechanics and interesting fights.

What does foundry provide us with? Unlimited trash mobs.

• Options
    The PVP is pretty darn fun IMO.

We went in as a 3 man and had a blast in it even if we eventually lost. Feels like the first MMO where I actually had a vague understanding of WTF was happening in PVP.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I never had trouble with gwf at lower levels. It's got good aoe and decent single target damage. Can clear out trash mobs in one shot with the charge attack + another aoe. Tanks well enough to not have to worry, and once you get a heal bot it's smooth sailing.

Just 'cus you're only 2 or 3 on the damage board during a skirmish doesn't mean anything is wrong. And if you get lucky with packs the aoe damage can take 1st or 2nd place easily.

Until 35 or so the GWF pretty much sucks compared to other classes. Sure its not bad and people just complain because its not easy mode like a rogue. But in the big picture GWF start out just plain awful, they rarely place higher than last on the charts because even their AOE starts out worst than others. Also earlier levels just don't have many adds. In fact until epic dungeons I don't feel the game really shows how much it loves to swarm the screen with adds. Then its just balls to the walls adds and GWF and CW are super important.

Luckily once it starts getting good, it gets really good.

I've noticed lots of GWFs ignoring adds to try and single-target boss mobs.

This leads to them dropping to the bottom of the damage chart every time

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    It's pretty clear that Neverwinter really is just another Cryptic MMO, only this time around they took some time developing it.
    You got multiple confusing currencies, convoluted real money infusion, dailies all over the place in order to draw in players, linear content path, yadda, yadda.
    The linearity of it all might come back and bite them in the ass, like it has with CO and STO, as I doubt many people will be interested in trying out new classes (it's like 5$ for two new character slots beyond the two innitial ones, right?) once they've regrinded the same content, along the same path, multiple times.

Sure, you can level up through PVP/skirmishes, but some people do not like those alternate paths. That's where the much improved Foundry system might come into play, but Foundry quests - as creative as they can get - will always have to rely on assets already found in the game, whereas developers can create new tiles/models/monsters for novel content (in addition to voicing the content).

It remains to see whether Neverwinter will do better than STO (Which has been doing respectable afaik) or end up like another CO (I highly doubt that, this got that brand awareness going for it much like STO).

STO's brand awareness is what saved it; it keeps player levels high, and Cryptic/PW may be under some kind of contractual obligation to make it not suck. NW will thrive if PW chooses to push for more content instead of just flooding the cash shop with new shinies (which is what's killing CO, and is PW's strategy for all their non-Cryptic games).

• Options

Friend said they're still up. If that were the case, they could at least put out a word about why, otherwise if it's a temp-ban, people will just do it again.

• Options
    edited May 2013

What is the number one thing players have historically wanted from their dungeons in an MMO? It's not better quest text (which foundry provides).

Pretty much.
    If it had scripting system of the same complexity of the NWN-games, it'd be a different question, but it looks like it's only an improvement of the Foundry in STO.

It's painfully obvious that they've more or less lifted game mechanics and components from Champion's Online and Star Trek: Online, and put them into Neverwinter with a new coat of paint. Companions work almost identically to crew members/officers in STO, same with the crafting system. That's fine and all for crafting and companions, as these do not define DnD, but where it becomes straight-up awful is when they use their own game mechanics in lieu of DnD-mechanics - such as the attributes/feats/skills/etc.

It's just the same attributes found in STO and CO, down to how they work as % increases per point spent, but called Con/Int/Str/Wis/Dex/Cha.

That's another gripe that I have with the game - that if it weren't for them namedropping DnD stuff and the name (Neverwinter) - it wouldn't come across as a game taking place in the Forgotten Realms or being an adaption of the tabletop game (Even the 4th ed. one).
    Where they've been unable to utilize their previous game's mechanics for various DnD concepts, they've simply skipped out on them (Alignment, Skills, Feats, Customizability).

It's just so awfully generic and drab, and if it weren't for the relatively neat combat, it'd feel right in with the crop of fantasy-wow clones that starting appearing following the success of that giant. I'm running everything on max, and the game looks pretty awful - especially compared to the MMOs we've been getting over the last couple of years. Maybe it's something they can fix, or maybe it's just a problem inherent in using a game engine that's too old to cope with modern games. Yes, you got a ton of character customization in the game, in that you can give your character super long nails, or lanky build, but in the end you need to make your character look like a weird mutant in order for it to not look generic.

Okay, maybe I'm being harsh on it, probably because I've expected something different from what it is. What I expected, when I heard of the name Neverwinter and Dungeons&Dragons, was an RPG MMO - but what I got, was more of an arcadey action MMO. I expect to be immersed in an RPG, to feel like part of the world rather than as a player playing the game - to forget that I'm even playing a game. What you get with Neverwinter on the otherhand is a problem endemic to a lot of F2P - it practically shouts at you that you're playing a game. Constant announcements of player so and so winning a nightmare horse, NPCs telling you about buying Zen coins and converting them to diamonds, messages all over the place notifying you of special rewards you can get if you play a player-created mission or a skirmish within the next 37 minuets!

Now, if my expectations were different, not necessarily lower, I might be enjoying the game more, for what it is. It is an arcade action MMO, where you at times need to push in another dollar to really enjoy the game. Then it's no longer a problem that customization is nearly non-existent, as they are far more customizable than other arcade games adapted from the DnD setting. Honestly, I think using the name Neverwinter was a wrong move, as the point of it is to attract gamers who have previously played Neverwinter Nights - which is a wrong move as they quickly discover that Neverwinter has almost nothing of what made Neverwinter Nights enjoyable.

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    When I look at the game's structure I get the impression that mounts only exist as a cash cow for the devs.

There's nowhere you actually need to run like traditional mmos. Everything is instance based, the zones are tiny, and you can fast travel from any zone to any other. There's never a time when you're further than like 3 minutes walking time from a zone's exit.

But they sure are annoying to deal with in pvp.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    @SquiddyBiscuit, I think everyone whose played NwN was expecting something with a little more... Depth.

• Options

Pretty much.
    If it had scripting system of the same complexity of the NWN-games, it'd be a different question, but it looks like it's only an improvement of the Foundry in STO.

It's painfully obvious that they've more or less lifted game mechanics and components from Champion's Online and Star Trek: Online, and put them into Neverwinter with a new coat of paint. Companions work almost identically to crew members/officers in STO, same with the crafting system. That's fine and all for crafting and companions, as these do not define DnD, but where it becomes straight-up awful is when they use their own game mechanics in lieu of DnD-mechanics - such as the attributes/feats/skills/etc.

It's just the same attributes found in STO and CO, down to how they work as % increases per point spent, but called Con/Int/Str/Wis/Dex/Cha.

That's another gripe that I have with the game - that if it weren't for them namedropping DnD stuff and the name (Neverwinter) - it wouldn't come across as a game taking place in the Forgotten Realms or being an adaption of the tabletop game (Even the 4th ed. one).
    Where they've been unable to utilize their previous game's mechanics for various DnD concepts, they've simply skipped out on them (Alignment, Skills, Feats, Customizability).

It's just so awfully generic and drab, and if it weren't for the relatively neat combat, it'd feel right in with the crop of fantasy-wow clones that starting appearing following the success of that giant. I'm running everything on max, and the game looks pretty awful - especially compared to the MMOs we've been getting over the last couple of years. Maybe it's something they can fix, or maybe it's just a problem inherent in using a game engine that's too old to cope with modern games. Yes, you got a ton of character customization in the game, in that you can give your character super long nails, or lanky build, but in the end you need to make your character look like a weird mutant in order for it to not look generic.

Okay, maybe I'm being harsh on it, probably because I've expected something different from what it is. What I expected, when I heard of the name Neverwinter and Dungeons&Dragons, was an RPG MMO - but what I got, was more of an arcadey action MMO. I expect to be immersed in an RPG, to feel like part of the world rather than as a player playing the game - to forget that I'm even playing a game. What you get with Neverwinter on the otherhand is a problem endemic to a lot of F2P - it practically shouts at you that you're playing a game. Constant announcements of player so and so winning a nightmare horse, NPCs telling you about buying Zen coins and converting them to diamonds, messages all over the place notifying you of special rewards you can get if you play a player-created mission or a skirmish within the next 37 minuets!

Now, if my expectations were different, not necessarily lower, I might be enjoying the game more, for what it is. It is an arcade action MMO, where you at times need to push in another dollar to really enjoy the game. Then it's no longer a problem that customization is nearly non-existent, as they are far more customizable than other arcade games adapted from the DnD setting. Honestly, I think using the name Neverwinter was a wrong move, as the point of it is to attract gamers who have previously played Neverwinter Nights - which is a wrong move as they quickly discover that Neverwinter has almost nothing of what made Neverwinter Nights enjoyable.

The main problem isn't that they shoehorned DnD into Star Trek's engine. It's that they shoehorned DnD into Champions' engine. Technically they're all using the same engine, I know, but NW is using the older CO version. It explains why the graphical quality is about equal to CO's, the combat is an evolved version of CO's, and companions are basically a direct port of CO's summoning powers instead of STO's bridge officers. The Foundry and crafting systems were obviously back-ported from STO, but that's about it.

• Options
    CO had better character models/graphics I thought.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is not a transliteration of D&D rules, and it isn't meant to be that at all.

If you were "disappointed" to find out Neverwinter is an arcadey action game, then I don't know what game you were anticipating because it never existed.

There are certainly some areas where the game is a little disappointingly "Cryptic Generica", or where corners have been cut (graphical assets), but to ding the game for not being some kind of imaginary MMO sequel to Bioware's Neverwinter Nights or other isometric D&D singleplayer RPG games is unfair.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    The graphics/model is about the same for all three games.
    It's just hard to make a proper comparison between three dated-looking games :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I kinda love the look of Neverwinter honestly.

I wouldn't describe it as dated looking really.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    A halfling named Peter Dinklage. Well, that's somewhat original, at least.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Neverwinter is not a transliteration of D&D rules, and it isn't meant to be that at all.

If you were "disappointed" to find out Neverwinter is an arcadey action game, then I don't know what game you were anticipating because it never existed.

There are certainly some areas where the game is a little disappointingly "Cryptic Generica", or where corners have been cut (graphical assets), but to ding the game for not being some kind of imaginary MMO sequel to Bioware's Neverwinter Nights or other isometric D&D singleplayer RPG games is unfair.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

I think there was just a hope for something with a little more complexity and a greater RPG feel. Character choices don't feel important, progression feels inconsequential, and the lauded content generator is just kind of poopy. When you're trading on a name and IP which has been put down in the annals of time as "one of the better/best RPG's out there, with an amazing multiplayer experience", I don't think it's at all unfair to expect the pure multiplayer version of that IP to perform... Well.

I mean, you can't say they you're using a well known IP like Neverwinter Nights and not pay homage to the complexity of the IP and get away with it.

Something about holding games to a higher standard or something. I was not expecting NWN online, I was expecting something that felt... Deep. Something that felt like choices had weight, and a story I was compelled to play through with my friends. Then being able to generate my own stories with some level of complexity beyond "I place my monsters here and I write my little tag lines there."

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    For what Neverwinter is, I think it works as it's vision was intended to work and is not meant to be a direct sequel to isometric D&D or Neverwinter Nights. Making an MMO version of that would have worked in the F2P scene too with a fair balance between paid content and user generated content, but I still think making a more actiony dungeon crawl for you to play with friends was a good choice too, and one that moves the genre forward in some respects.

The most important thing for me right now is that it's fun, low commitment and can tide me over until Wildstar or the next big thing.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    What level are you anon?

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Game keeps freezing on me. But only in PVP.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I kinda love the look of Neverwinter honestly.

I wouldn't describe it as dated looking really.

I agree. Neverwinter looks great on my machine. Not sure why people are seeing things as "dated".

Maybe people just don't like the art direction?