Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

2456756

Posts

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Some of the most amusing commentary I've heard thus far was the party Cleric swearing because he couldn't find the token halfling to heal it because it was too short.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am very close to breaking and buying Zen for some character slots, a bag and possibly some Nightmare Keys because opening booster packs random loot boxes is strangely addicting.

    I can hold off on slots until maybe when I hit max but the others are dangerous. Plus some other cosmetic stuff.

    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I bought a couple character slots and a bag for my wizzie. Not regretting that bag, I tell you. 24 extra space makes looting a breeze!

    So, any other wizzies here run across the level 35 at will power? I was entranced by the notion of LIGHTNING FROM THE SKY, but in practice I'm finding it less useful than the arcane artillery of Magic Missile. It looks kinda neat, but the aoe is spotty and doesn't help me finish stragglers any faster than burning them down one by one.

    Maybe I'm just treating it wrongly. I noticed that a paragon path gives you a nice damage boost from it hitting more than one target, which could be keen.

    I went with the bottom paragon path to load up on at will damage, but I expect that I'll be speccing into the top path to buff Ray of Frost. Icy Terrain and Ray of Frost together are a joyous match, and more chill would just be icing on the cake.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    My cleric has no boob window. I am sad. :(

    Her armor does alternate between which boob is white and which boob is metallic colored.

  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    Clerics get no boob window?

    That's it, back to my CW.

  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?180942-5-2-13-Temporary-Open-Beta-Outage&p=2526542&viewfull=1#post2526542

    Thank you so much for your patience during this outage.

    We have isolated the hardware failure and we are slowly bringing back all services, step by step, to ensure there are no more unexpected networking hardware issues.

    The portal-wide beta test launch of a new game (Neverwinter) is an extremely exciting time for us and we thank you again for your continued patience and support as we work out the issues during this testing period. Be assured that we are absolutely committed to launching an excellent game and would like to thank all of our committed players during this time.

    We'll have new hardware in place and us up, shined and secure, soon as we can. Thank you for being amazing, supportive players and helping spread the message while we get things resolved. We will keep you up to date as the situation progresses.

    Thank you,

    The Perfect World Team

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Rabble rabble rabble!

    Hiss, boo!

    Well that's good, the server hamsters are being fed and life goes on.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I don't envy the people who have to toss meat to and fellate the ravenous masses as they clamour to hammer the game login servers.

    488W936.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?180942-5-2-13-Temporary-Open-Beta-Outage&p=2526542&viewfull=1#post2526542

    Thank you so much for your patience during this outage.

    We have isolated the hardware failure and we are slowly bringing back all services, step by step, to ensure there are no more unexpected networking hardware issues.

    The portal-wide beta test launch of a new game (Neverwinter) is an extremely exciting time for us and we thank you again for your continued patience and support as we work out the issues during this testing period. Be assured that we are absolutely committed to launching an excellent game and would like to thank all of our committed players during this time.

    We'll have new hardware in place and us up, shined and secure, soon as we can. Thank you for being amazing, supportive players and helping spread the message while we get things resolved. We will keep you up to date as the situation progresses.

    Thank you,

    The Perfect World Team

    It's cute how they're harping on the "it's still in beta" part.

    Fuck you, guys. It's launched.

    What is this I don't even.
    am0nElvenshae
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    This is exactly why they called it beta instead of launch. If this were launch, there might be a legitimate reason for people to get refunds.

    Corehealer
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    On the one hand I agree, on the other characters aren't getting wiped, game is basically content complete and we can and many have dumped money into it. So... yeah.

    488W936.png
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't go so far to say "Content Complete", seeing as every class only has 1 Path choice. Also, companions being capped at rank 15, with seemingly the stuff already done to get them to 30 (tome tab in shop, appearance gear set for rank 20/30). There are a few others. The game doesn't seem really all that complete, but it's complete enough for me. I still enjoy it, I just wish PWE wasn't so damn money hungry. It's not the items in the store that bother me, just the prices.

    Quintessin on
    vegeta_666Slayer of DreamsAlbino BunnyEchoDelmainElvenshae
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    My cleric has no boob window. I am sad. :(

    Her armor does alternate between which boob is white and which boob is metallic colored.

    Actually that's because of the shirt slot. Which gives no stats. I didn't like my Tiefling with long sleeved armour so I took it off.

    I'm actually not sure what to think about the armour variety. The designs are pretty neat but up until I hit level 18 there had literally being only ONE armour design with the variants showing silly side cut offs of stomach.

    Now Keina 'Soot' the scourge of Wheelon and worlds most competent blade for hire looks neat. She's also working on dying her noblewomans clothing to something other than lame green.

    What I'm saying is you should all leave dyes in the guild bank out of good faith. Preferably red or blue. Though if you have like 4 purples I'm sure they'd look extra good on my outfi- the guild bank.

  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Finally back up. I guess they patched/did maint too.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Working on a foundry mission. Got the barebones pretty sketched, just need to tweak and actually write the dialogue out. But I can't figure out how to make an NPC go hostile after a dialogue. Anyone know?

    Me on Twitch!
    Dohaeris210 on PSN
    Me on Steam
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Ran into my first real dumbness.

    I was given the quest to do a skirmish, but I've outlevelled it and apparently there's no way to manually enter a skirmish once it's not available in the queue. Looks like this quest will be impossible to complete now.

    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular

    Actually that's because of the shirt slot. Which gives no stats. I didn't like my Tiefling with long sleeved armour so I took it off.

    actually with crafting you can make shirts that have stats

    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    3ds 2853-1334-6215
    Snicketysnick
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »

    Actually that's because of the shirt slot. Which gives no stats. I didn't like my Tiefling with long sleeved armour so I took it off.

    actually with crafting you can make shirts that have stats

    I know, was talking about when people are starting off.

  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What I'm saying is you should all leave dyes in the guild bank out of good faith. Preferably red or blue. Though if you have like 4 purples I'm sure they'd look extra good on my outfi- the guild bank.

    Tried to put all these blue dyes I have in the bank, and they're all bound. Such a shame, so many blues and purples, how can I even hold all these dyes.

    CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    What I'm saying is you should all leave dyes in the guild bank out of good faith. Preferably red or blue. Though if you have like 4 purples I'm sure they'd look extra good on my outfi- the guild bank.

    Tried to put all these blue dyes I have in the bank, and they're all bound. Such a shame, so many blues and purples, how can I even hold all these dyes.

    They're character bound too, not account. I. Was gonn grind some dudes to 5 for it.

    Curse you game. Curse you

  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    If a game is at the point where they can take my credit card information and give me in-game benefits...

    That's no longer a beta. I don't care how 'complete' they think the game is. Apparently they think it's complete enough to open their cash shop. I understand the marketing reason behind it, but it's a shitty reason. Game companies need to stop releasing their products and then be in "open beta...except you can totally pay us 5 dollars for a hat!" for as long as they want. That's not what a beta is.

    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
    Darkewolfeam0nElvenshae
  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    Typically if a game has the cash shop in their beta they will refund you your in-game gems/diamonds/whatever currency when the game goes live.
    They do have to test a cash shop in some sorta beta form. I think GW2 let you use the cash shop during the betas and then they gave you back how many gems you purchased when it went live.

    I realize with neverwinter there are no more wipes, so ya its released game pretty much.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Darkewolfeam0nElvenshae
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    If a game is at the point where they can take my credit card information and give me in-game benefits...

    That's no longer a beta. I don't care how 'complete' they think the game is. Apparently they think it's complete enough to open their cash shop. I understand the marketing reason behind it, but it's a shitty reason. Game companies need to stop releasing their products and then be in "open beta...except you can totally pay us 5 dollars for a hat!" for as long as they want. That's not what a beta is.

    Not to be that argumentative but why?

    If a developer says that software is in a beta state why does having the general public use it and give them money suddenly make it not a beta? It seems an odd distinction to make.

    I'd say it's not a beta because they aren't doing any wipes which implies that they likely aren't going to change that much during the course of it's 'beta' period. Even then I'm quite willing to be surprised when they do make changes.

    I would however wish they didn't use the 'lol beta' excuse for downtime. That comes off as a bit tacky, you knew you were releasing to the general public. That's not a beta issue, it's just traffic that you didn't prepare for.

  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    So I'm level 10 leatherworking now... and I'm failing to see much use for crafting in the long run other than shirt/pants items.

    I'll still max it out to 20. But the level 60 gear you can make takes more work than just doing a few dungeons.

    Leadership just seems better, since you get bits of diamonds with it as well in exchange for just time.

    Also green items are pretty pointless to make since they drop nonstop for everyone while they level up.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    If a game is at the point where they can take my credit card information and give me in-game benefits...

    That's no longer a beta. I don't care how 'complete' they think the game is. Apparently they think it's complete enough to open their cash shop. I understand the marketing reason behind it, but it's a shitty reason. Game companies need to stop releasing their products and then be in "open beta...except you can totally pay us 5 dollars for a hat!" for as long as they want. That's not what a beta is.

    Not to be that argumentative but why?

    If a developer says that software is in a beta state why does having the general public use it and give them money suddenly make it not a beta? It seems an odd distinction to make.

    I'd say it's not a beta because they aren't doing any wipes which implies that they likely aren't going to change that much during the course of it's 'beta' period. Even then I'm quite willing to be surprised when they do make changes.

    I would however wish they didn't use the 'lol beta' excuse for downtime. That comes off as a bit tacky, you knew you were releasing to the general public. That's not a beta issue, it's just traffic that you didn't prepare for.

    What it really comes down to for me is, what is the difference going to be between the release and open beta? There will be no major differences. The cash shop is already open. All of the leveling content has been released. Characters will not be wiped.

    The only thing I can think of that will be different between open beta and release is that they will be adding a few more character classes before 'release'. Except the character classes are going to continue to be released after 'release,' as well, because this is a continuing development business model.

    On top of that, if the software is in beta state, you don't charge your customers. Period. I'm going to wax philosophical on the F2P model versus the normal business model for games for a second to make my point. Any other piece of software, you pay $60 to get the game and play it. In a F2P game, you get to download, install, and play for free. Great! Implicit in that model, though, is the idea that the game is designed in such a way that any reasonable player will end up paying money to the developer for in-game perks. This is fairly obvious. If it weren't designed this way, they would never make any money.

    Now what happens if you release a game in beta state that is free to play, but has the cash shop enabled to take your money? Well, you are now charging your customers money to play your beta, because the game is intentionally designed to take your money. It doesn't matter that it's a free game, because their business model has affected the game itself.

    I look at releasing a F2P game in "beta" state as similar to a game company asking you to give them $60 to play a game that isn't finished yet. If they really wanted a beta environment, they would have stated up front that characters will be wiped after beta, given everyone a certain amount of cash shop money, disabled in-game purchases, or possibly set a level cap for everyone.

    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
    EntaruDarkewolfeam0nElvenshae
  • EntaruEntaru Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am all about the leadership. It just makes more sense to me to basically craft XP and currency and then buy upgrades if I can't get them to drop.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    DecoyAlbino Bunny
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I've played too many MMOs to continue caring about sudden downtime during the first week of a game public release. Does it suck when it happens? Of course, because we all want to play. But, personally, I don't need an apology or compensation, just throw out a prompt acknowledgement somewhere on your official website and give an accurate as possible ETA on when the server will be back. That's all I need.

    Continued downtime and constant crashing 2-3 weeks into the games life though, that's another story.

    SnicketysnickEntaruschmads
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The word 'beta' has lost all meaning in the gaming space. Doubly so in the MMO space. It now means 'stress test', 'demo', or 'we've released but want to cover our asses'.

    Clarification: open beta means the above. Closed beta can still be legit.

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean Battle.net Drkeenbean#1951
    EntaruSpawnbrokerAxenSnicketysnickEchoam0nArthilTheRoadVirusElvenshae
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick Boy Detective RiverdaleRegistered User regular
    In fact I would say there is a a decent argument to be made that MMOs are perpetual betas, simply because by their very nature they are never complete and are constantly tweeked with balance changes and so on.

    I'll be honest, I am amazed at how well they are actually coping with the launch woes, any MMO gets hammered the first couple of days after release, so considering that there is a zero barrier for entry reducing player numbers, things are going fairly smoothly imo.

    juggiesig.jpg
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Albino BunnyAxenArthil
  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    So they changed how the auction house works through the gateway, when you buy items you now have to login to the game to retrieve them.

    No more flipping items while at work. Well, my wife doesn't work today... so no flipping items when I don't have help retrieving my mail.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • EntaruEntaru Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Badwrong wrote: »
    So they changed how the auction house works through the gateway, when you buy items you now have to login to the game to retrieve them.

    No more flipping items while at work. Well, my wife doesn't work today... so no flipping items when I don't have help retrieving my mail.

    That's some crap. That was the main use of that feature of the gateway.

    Edit: I suppose one could posit that they did it to slow down use of the gateway because it might have been causing them server issues. It's still no excuse to take away a feature like that.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    Ya its probably a performance thing, I've noticed my crafting slots don't get stuck now.

    The auction house still has some idiotic bugs. If you wanna search with a level range, you have to do it from the website version... the in-game version level range does nothing it seems. If you want blue quality to show up, the website version will show them if you look for purple items. In-game the blue item filter actually works. So there are different bugs in each version... its very silly.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    Nintendo ID's:
    NA - Badwrong : 4957-3490-9987
    JP - ネイト : 0877-2695-0293

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Badwrong wrote: »
    So they changed how the auction house works through the gateway, when you buy items you now have to login to the game to retrieve them.

    No more flipping items while at work. Well, my wife doesn't work today... so no flipping items when I don't have help retrieving my mail.

    That's some crap. That was the main use of that feature of the gateway.

    Edit: I suppose one could posit that they did it to slow down use of the gateway because it might have been causing them server issues. It's still no excuse to take away a feature like that.

    It also makes it harder to write third party software that can flip the shit out of the market and completely destroy the economy.

    What is this I don't even.
    EntaruSnicketysnickEchoArthil
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    The gateway still refuses to let me click on Soot's profile. It'll do it for my cleric who can't craft but Soot does not work.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    You know what I'm tired of? People getting on their high horse about a totally free game. Open beta? Launch? Crashes? Who cares?

    You can play the entire game for free. And there is nothing you need to pay money for, outside of a few things that a person who's enjoying the game would pay for.

    If you personally have some issue with Cryptic "charging" people for open beta, then it's perfectly within your right to not play the game.

    But coming here to moan about it, and then logging into Neverwinter doesn't support your point. In fact, it makes you an enormous hypocrite.

    Bottom line: As you've seen in the hundreds and hundreds of posts that have popped up over the last week, in a game thread that only had a post or two a day prior, a lot of people are having fun. There's no game-breaking, show-stopping bugs. And the server issues have been relatively minor, especially compared to some AAA $60/box releases that I've seen.

    So cut these guys a break. If you find it morally reprehensible that Cryptic is allowing people who are enjoying Neverwinter to exchange money for services of their own free will, then don't be a part of it. Don't play. But you're going to look like nothing but a goose if you start posting about how terrible it is, then three pages later you're talking about how much fun you're having.

    We'll gladly change the thread title to indicate when Neverwinter officially "launches" and you can join us then.

    Thanks.

    nVyomi1.png
    Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

    Snicketysnick
  • EchoEcho Staring is caring Moderator mod
    ironzerg wrote: »
    You can play the entire game for free. And there is nothing you need to pay money for, outside of a few things that a person who's enjoying the game would pay for.

    If you personally have some issue with Cryptic "charging" people for open beta, then it's perfectly within your right to not play the game.

    But coming here to moan about it, and then logging into Neverwinter doesn't support your point. In fact, it makes you an enormous hypocrite.

    Cryptic is fine. They make good games.

    It's Perfect World we're complaining about. They're the ones setting the prices, and it sure feels like they send every single aspect of the game through the Monetization Commitee before they add it.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    EntaruAlbino BunnyCorehealerkorodullinDelmainMagic PinkElvenshae
  • EchoEcho Staring is caring Moderator mod
    And yeah, you can play the whole game for free.

    For example, getting a bag will only take you 30 days of grinding to max your daily 24k of AD.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    Entaruam0nElvenshae
  • EntaruEntaru Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I don't think anyone's moaning about it and it seems to be a valid point of discussion about the game. I mean it's intrinsic to it's state of existence that they entered open beta and are charging for it. It's also a very valid thing to talk about, in here, the prices that are set for some of these things so new players can make a decisions on whether they think it's worth it to play the game knowing the cost of underlying services.

    I really don't like that discussing a topic has come to mean whining to people.

    Edit: You can also like a game mostly but not like parts of it. Shades of grey and all that.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • EchoEcho Staring is caring Moderator mod
    The gateway still refuses to let me click on Soot's profile. It'll do it for my cleric who can't craft but Soot does not work.

    You have non-alphabetic symbols in the name, right? Might be a bug with that.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    I actually think the way they've worked the currency conversion and stuff is really well done. As near as I can tell there's never a 'must' to give them money. Ever, even if you hardly touch astral diamonds.

    I just think it costs a bit much both in terms of real life grind and cash (seriously, conversion rates what guys).

    Echo
Sign In or Register to comment.