As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

1505153555658

Posts

  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I downloaded this on XB1 the other night and my rogue is up to level 15 or so. Running around and stabbing things is pretty fun, but I'm finding the economy side of things really opaque and confusing and I'm not sure I can be bothered; I think I'm just going to stick with adventuring.

    On that note, Xboners can add me and we can go dungeon some dragons.

    If I'm not already on your friends list, ADD ME. I've got a lvl 20ish Hunter that needs friends. (I have a lvl 16 Cleric but she only gets played when my brother/cousin are on)

    Let me just say that I love playing as a Hunter/Ranger. The ability to switch between melee and ranged is exactly what I wanted and there is just enough control/healing to make it the best jack-of-all-trades class. I think I might have to start making paragon choices. Which Paragon Path is best for a Hunter/Ranger who wants to stay able to do everything?
    Pretty sure you're on my list, so I'll shoot you an invite next time I see you on. My Rogue is level 38, and stabbing people is pretty fun.

    I, uh ... don't know how to jump. I've just been using my dodge roll to get up places. How do I do that?

    Also, where exactly is the bank? I kinda asumed that I was expected to carry everything on my back.

    LB + A. It took me about 15 levels to find it.

    Bank is to the right as you come down the right-hand set of stairs, near the AH. If you're at the daily dungeon key quest guy, facing away from him, it's kind of across from you, a bit to the left; has a nice columned portico and so forth.

  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Left Bumper + A = jump

    I'm a level 20 ( 21?) sword and board fighter.

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So as a FYI, it's possible to get yourself a suit of 60 blues for maybe 10k AD tops, and I'm being generous. The AH search is AMAZINGLY broken, but if you know the right keywords you can grab a nice blue weapon for 50-100AD or so buyout. I think I spent 75 on a belt last night, for instance, and I've got a bid in for an Amulet of Mourning (LS/recovery/crit) for 2. I'm sure it's possible to rely on drops instead, but I look at this as a nice shortcut for the cost of your first three invokes that day.

    I mean the Xbox players are selling/buying dragon drops for gold in chat, for instance. I don't think too many have twigged to what currency is actually important.


    And to give the PC players another coronary, AD:Zen is now at 150:1. It went up!

    dporowski on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    15:1? wait I never found it that cheap. I must suck at navigating the Diamond exchange.

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    15:1? wait I never found it that cheap. I must suck at navigating the Diamond exchange.

    ... Derp. Math is hard.

  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    15:1? wait I never found it that cheap. I must suck at navigating the Diamond exchange.

    ... Derp. Math is hard.

    The name is Dumbass.

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    So as a FYI, it's possible to get yourself a suit of 60 blues for maybe 10k AD tops, and I'm being generous. The AH search is AMAZINGLY broken, but if you know the right keywords you can grab a nice blue weapon for 50-100AD or so buyout. I think I spent 75 on a belt last night, for instance, and I've got a bid in for an Amulet of Mourning (LS/recovery/crit) for 2. I'm sure it's possible to rely on drops instead, but I look at this as a nice shortcut for the cost of your first three invokes that day.

    I mean the Xbox players are selling/buying dragon drops for gold in chat, for instance. I don't think too many have twigged to what currency is actually important.


    And to give the PC players another coronary, AD:Zen is now at 150:1. It went up!

    oh, good

    It was at around 250:1 last week. I'm glad we are back down to normal levels

    :mrgreen:

  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Also, if you play a CW, please just take Ice Storm off your bar. Please. Oh please. OH PLEASE. The number of times I've gotten like 8-10 little dudes bunched up, onto an ice slick, ALMOST about to freeze solid into a nice clump of about-to-die, and somebody "helps" by knocking all of them all over creation, I swear to god...

    None of the knockbacks are helping! Stop moving things!

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Knockbacks are not the way to go as a squishy mage?
    I need to tell 2+ year ago me that he made bad, bad choices with powers getting a CW to level 25..

  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Knockbacks help in limited situations. Like one of the higher level dungeons is much easier to just knock people off a ledge. Other times, it's not totally terrible, but I can see it being annoying sometimes.

    Number One Tricky
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Knockbacks help in limited situations. Like one of the higher level dungeons is much easier to just knock people off a ledge. Other times, it's not totally terrible, but I can see it being annoying sometimes.

    If they're knocked to a place on purpose, well hey. But like last night I did Retake the Bridge, and invariably on those fire elemental lookin' dudes, I'd manage to get them rounded up neatly and someone would run in and spread them all over the bridge. Anything going off the bridge was a total accident.

  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So these skirmish missions are sure getting longer. Blacklake? Short. Orc Assault. Short. Storming the Keep. Much longer (still tons of fun especially finding my first mimic!!).

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I take it you're not supposed to do the campaigns when they become available at level 60. I took a peek at the faewild one and the basic mobs there could do 90% of my HP in a single normal hit while my encounter powers only hit for around 10% of their life. I could still kill the groups with only the weaker mobs but I had no margin for error. It was actually sort of fun in twisted Dark Souls kind of way though I stopped when I ran out of injury kits.

    Are these campaigns more doable when I hit 70 or are they never supposed to be soloable by players without top-end gear?

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Mostly you should be able to do the campaigns at 60. My wizard types had a much easier time of it, however, because they could kill things before they even got close to me. But much like you, my DC had to be very careful with the groups. I eventually just stopped bothering trying to solo it with him as the fights were just too tedious and annoying.

    Number One Tricky
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    I take it you're not supposed to do the campaigns when they become available at level 60. I took a peek at the faewild one and the basic mobs there could do 90% of my HP in a single normal hit while my encounter powers only hit for around 10% of their life. I could still kill the groups with only the weaker mobs but I had no margin for error. It was actually sort of fun in twisted Dark Souls kind of way though I stopped when I ran out of injury kits.

    Are these campaigns more doable when I hit 70 or are they never supposed to be soloable by players without top-end gear?

    On the PC? Not really. You're getting boosted to 70 now, but that really doesn't help. I'd pass on the campaigns until you actually hit 70, unless you're grouping with friends.

    Otherwise, a fresh 60 in the new campaigns is going to get squashed like a wet bag of poop.

  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Haven't played this game in a week, but have leveled a few times simply by logging in to praise the sun and raise my professions. Kind of like how that's working.

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think I need to look at some guides for build advice for my CW.. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the Master of Fire path wrong.
    Also: it's kinda lonely in What A Nice Guild.

  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Leveling from 60-70 is ... so ... slow. I got used to flying through the levels in the double XP event and now having to slog through 14 tasks before heading to the next quest hub is rough. I like the additional choice but going from 60 to 62 took me longer than going from 45-60.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Am I right in thinking that I should be stocking up on as much Zen as possible through the Diamond exchange? Zen can only be bought with real money right?

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that I should be stocking up on as much Zen as possible through the Diamond exchange? Zen can only be bought with real money right?

    Correct. And yes.

  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So I'm at 1K zen (from the diamond exchange). Do I buy a greater bag of holding or hold off for 2K zen and get that adventurers pack which has a bag of holding , a blue merc companion, and a bunch of other stuff? Also, I have some higher level runes (companion and others) at levels 6 and 7. How many diamonds should I try and get from the trading house?

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I would hold off for the adventurer's pack, or even a purple mount if you don't have one.

  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Will do.

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    So... Am I missing something, or is it not MUCH more efficient to just outright buy 6 bars of steel then use them to buy exactly the artifact weapon you want from the Harper guy? I think it's even cheaper at that in terms of raw currency. And you can do that way before you can think of getting into the chest from the campaign.

    Missing a downside somewhere?

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    You can't buy the SHARDS (not the bars). People get the shards confused with the bars. The bars are part of the recipe to make an artifact weapon. The only way to get shards is to open a chest (for 1) or salvage an artifact weapon (for 1). Shards are BoP, so you can't sell or buy them.

    The shard thing was implemented so that people who got frustrated at making an artifact weapon and not getting the one they wanted could ultimately buy the exact weapon after three "failed" attempts.

  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So these trade bars and dragon shards only come from getting keys (for 125 zen) and unlocking a tyrannical lockbox? Welp, there are two vendors I'm never using.

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So these trade bars and dragon shards only come from getting keys (for 125 zen) and unlocking a tyrannical lockbox? Welp, there are two vendors I'm never using.

    Yep. Sort of like consolation prizes to keep people motivated to open even more boxes.

    Consider lockboxes lottery tickets. Occasionally if I have some extra cash on me, I'll buy a few at the gas station on a whim, never thinking I'll win anything, but the few seconds of "maybe this is worth a million bucks" feeling is fun...for a few seconds.

    Yes, you see on the news how people won millions, just like you see those admin announcements...and you think, "Wow! That could be me..."

    ironzerg on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I don't even want to know how many lockboxes a player has to open to get enough trade bars to buy an item.

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    You can't buy the SHARDS (not the bars). People get the shards confused with the bars. The bars are part of the recipe to make an artifact weapon. The only way to get shards is to open a chest (for 1) or salvage an artifact weapon (for 1). Shards are BoP, so you can't sell or buy them.

    The shard thing was implemented so that people who got frustrated at making an artifact weapon and not getting the one they wanted could ultimately buy the exact weapon after three "failed" attempts.

    I'd have sworn our vendor said "bars". Eh, if that's the case then, they're not even worth thinking about.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Double Exp weekend one the Xbone. I went from 44 to 60 in a night.

    Now I just gotta figure out what to do at endgame. My gear score isn't good enough for the T1 dungeons...

  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Double Exp weekend one the Xbone. I went from 44 to 60 in a night.

    Now I just gotta figure out what to do at endgame. My gear score isn't good enough for the T1 dungeons...

    Spend some AD on some 60 blues from the AH. Mildly tedious to sort through for good pricing, but quite possible to get very nice pieces for ~500 per.

    dporowski on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Double Exp weekend one the Xbone. I went from 44 to 60 in a night.

    Now I just gotta figure out what to do at endgame. My gear score isn't good enough for the T1 dungeons...

    Spend some AD on some 60 blues from the AH. Mildly tedious to sort through for good pricing, but quite possible to get very nice pieces for ~500 per.

    I couldn't find anything on the Xbox AH.

    I ended up getting my gear score to be just high enough to do the first set of T1 dungeons by getting a decent drop or two but kept getting booted. While doing a skirmish, I got invited to a guild. Which I found out was because I topped the Damage Leaderboard over the guild leader who was decked out in T2 gear. (sidenote: HR Trapper is so much fun and so OP). They had some really good blues in their guild bank and took me through a T1 dungeon (I again topped DPS) which got me my first set piece. My gear score is now good enough to run T2, so I did the Pirate King one on my own and got another set piece.

    Neverwinter has a pretty fun endgame. The gear comes pretty fast (as long as I only dungeon during delves and when I've got a key). The Campaign gives a more casual path of progression as well.

    Good stuff so far and it helps that I found an absolutely ridiculous OP HR Trapper build that keeps every combat interesting and fun.

  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Do folks play this on the PC? I do. My steamid is g0oseyourself. Not sure how to reach anyone yet. I have a level 27 warrior.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Modules 7 and 8 were teased out today:

    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9226073-neverwinter:-underdark-coming-in-2015
    This morning, in conjunction with Wizards of the Coast, we announced our newest module release for Neverwinter – tentatively titled Neverwinter: Underdark – which will release for PC in 2015 with Xbox One to follow. Although we can’t give you all the details now, we can say that Neverwinter: Underdark will see players travelling to Menzoberranzan where adventurers will fight alongside Drizzt Do’Urden. We will also be adding a new quest line written by Drizzt’s creator, R.A. Salvatore.

    We are very excited to visit another iconic setting in the Dungeons & Dragons lore. With some of our team are working on pre-production for Neverwinter: Underdark, the team as a whole is still strongly focused on building upon and launching additional content for Neverwinter over the coming months prior to this module’s release.

    Stay tuned here and on Twitter as we announce additional details throughout the year.

    As Scott Shicoff mentioned earlier, the development team is taking a “hard look at Neverwinter: Elemental Evil” to see what improvements can be made. We do not have additional details for upcoming changes at this time, but stay tuned as the team assesses the situation and makes any possible changes.

    We also teased Neverwinter: Strongholds, which will launch prior to Neverwinter: Underdark. This module expansion will bring several new features and content updates including guild housing. We will have more information regarding Neverwinter: Strongholds in the near future.

    And yes, I've been playing actively on the PC for over two years now :)

  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Question on what I should do for leveling. I hit level 40, but still have lower level zones I haven't done quest lines in. I've logged in daily to do professions and stuff, so have gained quite a few levels just from that. Also, I like how easy it is to load up the game, do a quick skirmish, and quit out. So I haven't really focused on leveling at all. But with the double xp going on right now, I've thought about just grinding out some quest lines and getting some quick xp. Should I go to the zones my level, or just continue with quest lines breezing through the enemies?

    I think the last zone I really did was the one with Charaxis. I may have killed him a few dozen times or so lol.

  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd head for more level appropriate zones.
    But only after you've completed the quest line in the graveyard that rewards you with another bag.

  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I'd head for more level appropriate zones.
    But only after you've completed the quest line in the graveyard that rewards you with another bag.

    Hmmmm, I think I completed everything in the graveyard. I do not remember getting a bag. I could really use another bag. I've actually thought about dropping $10 on this game for a bag lol. I"m level 47, think I've put enough time into it. The most annoying thing in this game is inventory space. I played Destiny for the first time in months last night and no inventory management was refreshing.

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @SutibunRi Oy, Oosik. You still playing this?

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz I am!
    Tonight I witnessed the impossible: Tiamat died. and I got an artifact amulet!

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @SutibunRi I got a pack of miniatures for my 4e game and they came with a code for Neverwinter. Want it? Its one of four things; I think two of which are mounts.

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




Sign In or Register to comment.