The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #6

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Elimination #6

Two Artists must now face the Creators; which will draw their favor?

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well, fuck... I liked Erika.
    Both had really good comics, but Abby's was better. Abby's last panel did it for me.

Angry_Samoan on
    "The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    emarecksaykayBuchoA Concerned Citizen
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Okay, I am just starting the episode... But naughty mystery? Holy shit, Abby is fucked. Erika couldn't hope for a better fit. Totally in her wheel house.

A Concerned Citizen
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MVP OF THE SHOW- abby's cleavage.

runner up- everyone, funny episode. I was impressed by Erika's piece and think part of the reason why she wasn't picked was because she was established and the PA guys want to help out a newcomer.

Abby's comic made me laugh out loud and reminded me a lot of Hark Vagrant. I'm glad the PA guys finally got over their mistaken impression of her work from her standup.

TheSpyder on
    emarecksaykayduddles
  • TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    Erika's closing remarks were heartwarming and ...surprising actually, considering how outgoing she seemed to be on the show. She has a new series where she reviews...appliances, that people should check out via her artist link.

emarecksaykaySpman2099mageormikeErix The Red
  • YamahakoYamahako Registered User regular
    Great episode. I would have felt super bad if Abby's piece had to be destroyed since it couldn't just be reprinted. Not sure if I would have picked the same winner - but both were amazing.

emarecksaykay
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    The two best comics of the competition so far, created in the same elimination. (In my opinion)

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    Spman2099
    I had originally thought this was Erika's to lose, since she already has done work for PA before and has been a webcomic artist for some time. But Abby really pulled out a gem of a comic, and Abby deserved this win.

TheSpyderemarecksaykaytapeslingerA Concerned Citizen
  • esobesob Registered User regular
    As one who normally does not miss the joke, I feel like I'm missing the joke in Abby's comic.

That said, she killed it in the banter department.

duddles
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I think that was my favorite episode yet. Really happy for Abby, both comics were hilarious, Abby made Mike and Jerry (and me) burst out laughing multiple times. It was great to see that Erika really got a lot out of this on a personal level, too.

Oh yeah, and the other contestants were so freaked out to see Abby come back. I think they underestimated her, and now they fear her. She took down the biggest name in the house.

Monica better start winning all the challenges, or I expect she'll be up for elimination at the earliest opportunity. She probably wouldn't mind, just to experience it.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    DexOZA Concerned CitizenTeeSeaJayfraggy
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jesus Christ. Both comics were great. I mean, really awesome comics. When Erika's comic was shown first I was almost positive she had won because of how funny it was, I immediately became less certain when Abby's comic went up.

Also, that ending tore me to pieces. Erika's exit interview absolutely gutted me. I am really not moved by many things, but it was Niagara Falls while watching that interview.

Spman2099 on
    nhainesMKF36EemarecksaykayCambiatat_wandererA Concerned Citizenfraggy
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    Oh GOD! WHO SAW TH-OH MY GOD ERIKA STOP MAKING ME CRY! I mean, I wanted the winner to win, but not like this. Such class. Such Sass! jesus, that pineapple.

Spman2099emarecksaykayt_wandererBaravisfraggy
  • nova3knova3k Registered User new member
    Wow, Erika's final comments made me tear up. I could totally tell those were tears of joy. Good for her. I will miss her presence she brought to the show, and not just her erotically charged presence, she is a neat person. I'll be honest though, Abby's comic didn't make me crack up like Erika's did. That one just struck a chord with me for some reason.

Spman2099t_wandererA Concerned CitizenduddlesBaravisfraggy
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    TheSpyder wrote: »
    Abby's comic made me laugh out loud and reminded me a lot of Hark a Vagrant. I'm glad the PA guys finally got over their mistaken impression of her work from her standup.
    That's what it reminded me of. Having read through her strips at jspowerhour.com she just seems to have a brilliant knack for really expressive comics that utilize strong visuals for humor, but even having seen that I was blown away by her comic in today's episode. The humor is almost entirely in the art and it was all hand drawn in 90 minutes. I hope she stays on the show for a long time. Forever, perhaps.

Battle.net ID: Jaef#1126 -- Steam: Jaef -- PSN: Jaef -- League of Legends: Jaef
    jaefster.png
    Spman2099TheSpyderemarecksaykayCambiataDexOZA Concerned CitizenKazitron
  • shisershiser Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah Abby! You just told all the haters to go suck a dick!

emarecksaykay
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    YAY. Totally called it.

Erika is so absolutely lovely, bless her heart. But I do think Abby completely deserved to win.

emarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY im alucard Registered User regular
    #TEAMTANGENT

3715dce84e531295d5cf9e9c7b7c0b5c.png
    mageormikePaulMcGranite
  • RampachsRampachs Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Abby! That Sass! Definitely a deserving win.
    Erika's end talk <3 and she made them wait so long in the cold that their glasses were frosty.

I was shocked at just how shocked everyone in the house was when Abby got back. Definitely would have got her some major props as such a young artist beating a well established one.

Also, when the topics were first pulled out I though Erika had an advantage and she didn't even play up the naughty part!

Rampachs on
    emarecksaykaytapeslingerA Concerned Citizenspillfish
    I like that she agreed about the shoulder but STOOD HER GROUND on the boob. I agree with her artistic boob decision.

Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Spman2099Vicious CircleemarecksaykayCambiataSandra SnanmageormiketapeslingerA Concerned Citizendeworde
  • PhoenixragePhoenixrage Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! =(
    *flies AmErika flag at half mast*

Also, the frosted lens: new fashion trend for 2013?

Phoenixrage on
    spillfish
    I guess now with Erika going home the front runners would have to be Katie, Maki and Abby. Monica is still unknown in the Elimination format, Tavis' work isn't that great and Lexxy probably doesn't win since she has a Kickstarter campaign up for Cloud Factory.
    Meanwhile, Katie, Maki and Abby have all produced great comics in the Elimination phase.
    This should be a fun second half.

emarecksaykaytapeslinger
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    The shot of Maki drinking from the pineapple is my new favourite moment of the show.

emarecksaykayErix The RedPaulMcGranitenhainesHiggen
  • ObiRobKenobiObiRobKenobi Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for the Abby/Mike showdown for a long time and I was not disappointed a bit. Great episode. Both comics were awesome but Abby's was a bit more awesome, she deserved the win. Way to go, Abby.

emarecksaykayPaulMcGranite
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    esob wrote: »
    As one who normally does not miss the joke, I feel like I'm missing the joke in Abby's comic.

@esob I can explain
    Sherlock is not attracted to women much at all (only exception is maybe Irene Adler and even that can be interpreted as a case of obsession over her character more than anything else) and in plenty of recent adaptations they have hinted at a gay relationship with Watson. Then she also played off of Sherlock's unemotional and non-personal way of dealing with people. Add to that the outrageously naughty nature of the woman and you've got a perfect mixture of the ultimate Man of Mystery and naughtiness. Add to that the very expressive art and you've got yourself a fantastic comic

Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
    Spman2099emarecksaykayCambiataDexOZKoopahTroopahtheResetButtonShpydarErix The Redbubbaholy
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    esob wrote: »

It's one of those things where you either get it or you don't. The humor is in the absurdity of it all. It's Sherlock Holmes, and a woman throwing herself at him, pretending it's a mystery he has to solve. In contrast, he's being very stiff and formal. It's not so much a joke as a humorous situation with amusing sight gags and the language used.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    shiserSpman2099A Concerned CitizenErix The Red
  • LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    These were the only two comics I've laughed out loud at besides Maki's, and I feel like both artists definitely gave us their style along with the given themes. Great episode.

I'm really glad that Abby's sass and that her humor resonated with Mike and Jerry. It did take me a while to warm up to her because her initial interviews came across as a little gloomy and overly self-deprecating, but her sense of humor is just fantastic. jspowerhour is the one comic of all of these that I keep finding myself going back to. I thought I was above getting invested in people on a reality TV series (even if it's by PA), but I might have to be on Team Tangent from now on.

tl;dr: They really need to hang onto the contestant who will escalate an argument to "well why don't you go suck a dick?" and "your butt is a sass-mouth."

Vicious CircleemarecksaykaymageormikeA Concerned Citizen
    I guess now with Erika going home the front runners would have to be Katie, Maki and Abby. Monica is still unknown in the Elimination format, Tavis' work isn't that great and Lexxy probably doesn't win since she has a Kickstarter campaign up for Cloud Factory.
    Meanwhile, Katie, Maki and Abby have all produced great comics in the Elimination phase.
    This should be a fun second half.

No one has actually won yet, worth noting! It isn't an obviously publicized fact but the winner hasn't been decided from what they've filmed so far.

A Concerned Citizen
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Spent about an hour earlier today just reading JSPH and Bucko from their beginnings, switching between strips, reading each one as the other loaded.

I'd be sadder if I wasn't already certain Erika is an unstoppable force - something she again proved in no uncertain terms in this ep - which allows me to just be ridiculously happy for Abby. I was convinced she was at least a star of screen as right from the early episodes she revealed herself as the funniest talker of the group, and gradually as I became convinced she was the funniest strip-maker of the group, but the doubts over her drawing and Mike's firey ire at her Stand-Alone made sure there were still doubts swimming around in that admiration.

No longer. Now I know for sure Abby Howard is a future web comic superstar and this is just the start.

Bucho on
    shiserMKF36EemarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • Vicious CircleVicious Circle Registered User new member
    It's so sad to see Erica go, she's a great artist and was fun to watch and get to know. But as soon as Abby showed she was gonna do this her way, I felt like all bets were off. And when I saw her comic, I was so proud for her. Way to stand your ground with those crazy guys! Just a great episode.

• Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    I cracked up at Erika's immediately; I had to read Abby's twice, but then I was laughing harder. Abby has this gift for creating a situation without a real punchline and taking it so much farther than you expect it to go that the absurdity becomes the punchline. If she can keep up this level of funny, I'm not sure who beats her based on what we've seen.

-Katie's artwork is amazing but her jokes would have to get better. Her first one was funny, but not as funny as the two here. (Still rooting for her.)
    -Tavis' comic was great, but it ran so deep that I'm not sure anyone could pull that off twice.
    -Lexxy's artwork is also excellent, but "wonderful" lost to "hilarious" once already.
    -Maki might be able to if he nails his joke rather than leaving an opening for critique.

Monica's obviously the wild card; I've read a lot of her comic and Abby's, and I laugh at Abby's more, FWIW. Monica's is still good, though. Maybe she'd manage it. But right now I think anyone else who has to face Abby needs to hope she slips from what she pulled off here.

BuchoemarecksaykayWritch
  • esobesob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Aldo wrote: »

@esob I can explain

Ah, well thank you for that. I guess it wasn't so much that I missed it, but I processed the information non-humorously. Maybe I'm getting old.

It's one of those things where you either get it or you don't.

It seems so. Ah well.

Still, overall this may have been one of my favorite episodes. Erika and Abby's conversation in the car was easily the best part of the entire day's arc. "TOO MUCH CONFIDENCE."

esob on
    emarecksaykayfraggy
  • dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    A surprise upset, for sure. Perhaps Erika knew no bro should be left behind, and once Amy departed she knew what she had to do.

But nah, Abby just killed it. I'm still laughing at her strip and I couldn't even tell you exactly why. She brought the sass, and then she brought the funniest comic yet.

And then Maki drank from a pineapple. best episode

• [randomhuman][randomhuman] Registered User new member
    That was the best episode yet. Sorry to see Erika go, but Abby's comic absolutely killed it.

• LavidiusLavidius Registered User regular
    Upon rewatching: did anyone else notice that Abby (momentarily) leaves Tavis hanging with his high-five upon returning to the house? I'm sure she didn't mean to but it's a funny touch.

TeeSeaJay
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    God damn, 5 minutes in and I am already laughing out loud at Abby. She brought her game tonight! Man 5 minutes later and I am almost in tears of laughing. "Your butt is a sassmouth, stupid butt". Abby is like a honeybadger, she don't care, she don't give a sh*t. Only with Abby do you get to say "I can't believe you told them to suck a d"

And it was cool to see the little interaction Erika and Abby had at the start. Never saw that with others and shows they like eachother.

These two comics were both super funny. It was really hard to make a choice. I really wouldn't know where to start.

As for Erika's speech at the end, some (very very manly I might add) tears were trying to fight their way out. I am so glad she enjoyed her time there. And I like her coat. I like to think she hunt down Elmo, then took his skin as her trophy and now carries it around as her coat to show her prowess.

xdeathknightx on
    Spman2099BuchoemarecksaykayA Concerned CitizenHiggen
    @TheSpooky...
    Yes, I am well aware the winner has not been announced yet. However, I am pretty sure that if I had won this competition I would probably not be starting a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the production of a webcomic that I could presumably do at the PA studios.

emarecksaykay
  • fondorffondorf Registered User new member
    Abby's was definitely the better comic but it was a rip-off of Kate Beaton's Tesla comic: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=61 Maybe it was intentional maybe not, but it leaves a sour taste...

A Concerned Citizenduddles
  • KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @TheSpooky...
    Yes, I am well aware the winner has not been announced yet. However, I am pretty sure that if I had won this competition I would probably not be starting a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the production of a webcomic that I could presumably do at the PA studios.

No, you misunderstood. There isn't a winner at all yet. The last competition hasn't happened. Also, the point of her Kickstarter is so she can work on CF, and not do commissions. Even if Lexxy does win, it doesn't do any good to have an office in PA if all she's doing is commission work still. Which is nearly identical to the reason PA ran their KS, to sublimate their ad projects and third party content and focus on creating their own extra things, like this and Lookouts.

Kalynar on
    My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    spillfish
    Kalynar wrote: »
    @TheSpooky...

No, you misunderstood. There isn't a winner at all yet. The last competition hasn't happened.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. It isn't that we don't know who the winner is, there just isn't a winner.

A Concerned Citizen
    edited May 2013
    @TheSpooky...

Not just not announced, they have said that there is no winner at this point. The hypothesis is that there are some number of finalists, and something will go down around PAX, possibly culminating with something live.

Thus, starting a kickstarter is completely rational. These artists have no idea what their future could hold. Nobody said "OMG, Monica had an indiegogo, she must have lost!"

Cultural Geek Girl on
    A Concerned Citizen
    edited May 2013
    @Kalynar...
    Ah, thanks. Regardless, if I was in the final two, or three, I would still probably not start a Kickstarter campaign up prematurely.
    To me, Kickstarter is more than just adding a new comic on one's site. That is another path altogether.

Angry_Samoan on
    emarecksaykay