Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #6

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY Bounce Around Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Starting a Kickstarter to fund your webcomic book/project is Standard Procedure these days. I totally understand what you're saying though! I was highly skeptical when Lexxy's KS went up, but it really has nothing to do with Strip Search.

THESPOOKY on
    GZ0Nm3a.png
    Angry_SamoanA Concerned Citizen
  • KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    @Kalynar...
    Ah, thanks. Regardless, if I was in the final two, or three, I would still probably not start a Kickstarter campaign up prematurely.
    I edited a bunch to explain that, but you posted quickly. "Even if Lexxy does win, it doesn't do any good to have an office in PA if all she's doing is commission work still. Which is nearly identical to the reason PA ran their KS, to sublimate their ad projects and third party content and focus on creating their own extra things, like this and Lookouts."

My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    A Concerned Citizen
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Man 5 minutes later and I am almost in tears of laughing. "Your butt is a sassmouth, stupid butt".

Jerry lolling at that was the lol all Team Tangent has known there would be all along.

Seriously, that girl is so PA.

Dark Raven XemarecksaykayDexOZA Concerned CitizenCambiata
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Speaking of that... I want more Lookouts and Automata...

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
    Kalynaremarecksaykayfraggy
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Abby proving she is da best

Now just do it a couple more times and win for realsies

And miles to go before I sleep.
    emarecksaykay
    ARGH!!! THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FINALE!!!

I was going to try to be cool about Erika leaving but it's just so wrong that the two best had to meet in the cage so long before the end.

• Korbei83Korbei83 Registered User regular
    YES! YES! YES!

(sorry Erika)

YES!!!! GO ABBY!

emarecksaykay
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    TheSpyder wrote: »
    Abby's comic made me laugh out loud and reminded me a lot of Hark Vagrant.

Was one of those tip of the tongue things, but yeah her comic is super reminiscent of Hark! A Vagrant. Hit the nail on the head.

Erika made me teary eyed. Mentioning the show itself within the comic is a bit of a death sentence.

emarecksaykaySandra Snanduddles
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »

I was going to try to be cool about Erika leaving but it's just so wrong that the two best had to meet in the cage so long before the end.

I love Erika, but you know part of why I'm not sad for her at this point in the show?

For the rest of the episodes she's going to be in the other house chilling with Amy and the rest of the fallen. If Erika were in the last elimination she wouldn't get that chance (or if she did it would be a much shorter period of time).

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    BuchoemarecksaykayA Concerned Citizentapeslingerfraggy
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    I guess now with Erika going home the front runners would have to be Katie, Maki and Abby. Monica is still unknown in the Elimination format, Tavis' work isn't that great and Lexxy probably doesn't win since she has a Kickstarter campaign up for Cloud Factory.
    Meanwhile, Katie, Maki and Abby have all produced great comics in the Elimination phase.
    This should be a fun second half.

No one has actually won yet, worth noting! It isn't an obviously publicized fact but the winner hasn't been decided from what they've filmed so far.

But losers have been decided (not that any of these people are losers, even Alex has won fans from this). I think it's quite reasonable that Lexxy could have been eliminated, and then decided to seek alternate funding timed with her having a higher profile from the show running. If she was going to be in the final two, it would make more sense for her to launch her Kickstarter at that point for maximum publicity and so win or lose she has some cash to still start her project.

Let's put it this way, much shorter. It would make no sense for her to start a Kickstarter after she gets eliminated from the show. So her doing it early in the show might be interpreted as a sign that she does get eliminated eventually (again).

It's not proof, not even close, but it can be seen as evidence. Either it's evidence she gets eliminated before the end of the show, or it's evidence she's really in need of cash and can't wait to see if she wins. Overall, though, it seems like an odd direction to go in, if she had a realistic chance of winning the whole thing. I fully expect that 4/6 remaining strippers already know they've lost and will be behaving like it with their career choices.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Angry_SamoanPeterBman
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Also fuck yeah #TeamTangent, I should have known your hilariousness would defeat even the hardest of comic badasses. I wasn't sure before seeing her in an elimination, but I am convinced now that Abby could win it all.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    Spman2099emarecksaykay
  • DinospyDinospy Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    Yeah yeah that was a good choice w/e

but that ending shot - sheer brilliance!

• Vicious CircleVicious Circle Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    @Fondorf That's a pretty big assumption to throw out there. After reading the Tesla comic, I don't think your accusation is valid.

Vicious Circle on
    Spman2099emarecksaykayCrowlestonA Concerned CitizenspillfishErix The RedKathleen_LRR
    edited May 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Bucho wrote: »

I love Erika, but you know part of why I'm not sad for her at this point in the show?

For the rest of the episodes she's going to be in the other house chilling with Amy and the rest of the fallen. If Erika were in the last elimination she wouldn't get that chance (or if she did it would be a much shorter period of time).

You know why else I'm not sad for her? Once upon a time there was another occasion where Mike and Jerry thought both elimination comics were fantastic and yet had to send one home ...

... is this reeeeeeally the end of Erika on Strip Search?

Bucho on
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    I thought that episode was totally rad. Sad to see Erika go but as she said, it was fun getting there. Just as much fun watching.

emarecksaykaykatamariusA Concerned Citizen
  • DinospyDinospy Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

No one has actually won yet, worth noting! It isn't an obviously publicized fact but the winner hasn't been decided from what they've filmed so far.

"isn't an obviously publicized fact"

Source on this? Was the whole show not filmed and finished months ago?

Dinospy on
    Someone get on the gif of Abby's slyly grinning face appearing around the door when she re-enters the house, stat!

emarecksaykay
    edited May 2013

But losers have been decided (not that any of these people are losers, even Alex has won fans from this). I think it's quite reasonable that Lexxy could have been eliminated, and then decided to seek alternate funding timed with her having a higher profile from the show running. If she was going to be in the final two, it would make more sense for her to launch her Kickstarter at that point for maximum publicity and so win or lose she has some cash to still start her project.

Let's put it this way, much shorter. It would make no sense for her to start a Kickstarter after she gets eliminated from the show. So her doing it early in the show might be interpreted as a sign that she does get eliminated eventually (again).

It's not proof, not even close, but it can be seen as evidence. Either it's evidence she gets eliminated before the end of the show, or it's evidence she's really in need of cash and can't wait to see if she wins. Overall, though, it seems like an odd direction to go in, if she had a realistic chance of winning the whole thing. I fully expect that 4/6 remaining strippers already know they've lost and will be behaving like it with their career choices.

You say all of this like the 15,000 prize(before or after taxes?) is enough for someone to live on as a full time artist. the C.F. KS was put out for 7500, with most of that going to the project itself and not payment for the artist, but even if we make the assumption that Lexxy is A. in a position to win and B. all of the goal KS money went to her bank, that's 22.5k for her to work on the comic, not taking in additional commissions. At a normal 40 hour a week that's roughly 10.80 an hour, which is better than minimum, but not by much. I think we've seen a lot of these artists work more than 8 hours in a day. All of that is just to say, I think you're stretching a bit on your logic for the C.F. KS to be evidence of anything. And that's presuming she would win. Otherwise she kickstarted a fairly paltry amount for anything more than fulfilling the project itself, and maybe paying her bills for 1-3 months.

Kalynar on
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    A Concerned Citizen
    I had to watch this episode a second time already because it's just too awesome. Really fantastic comics from both. I love hearing the reactions from Lexxy and Maki when Abby walked in. Monica looked pretty stunned, too, and I think quite nervous now. Tavis looked like a proud dad (Abby's gotten her confidence like he said she should). Katie was just happy.

And yes, Maki with a pineapple. So amazing.

I am going to miss Erika in the house, for her hair if nothing else. At least she gets to hang out with Amy a bunch now, and it's not like she really needed to win this, she's already a comic star. I have to say I was very impressed with her in the end. I've liked Erika's work previously, I've definitely respected her for a while on a personal level, but her comics were *important*, more serious than funny. She proved she can be quite funny, too, and she's earned more respect from me as a result.

In the end, though, Abby was incredible in all respects, and very well deserved win. Great episode.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    BuchoDexOZA Concerned Citizenfraggy
    @dinospy the source was Gabe, someone asked a few episodes ago via twitter or the boards, and he responded. Primary filming was done in Nov or Dec last year, but doesn't preclude an unfilmed finale.

monkeysigye5.jpg
    A Concerned Citizen
  • JerichoJericho Registered User regular
    As soon as Abby started drawing I got really concerned about what they were going to do with it if she lost. It's original! No other copies! You can't destroy it!

emarecksaykay
  • ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    oH god.

I don't know how to say this.
    I think...

...I think I'm on #TeamAbby now. Or should I say #TeamTangent?

Arenow on
    steam_sig.png
    Dark Raven XShoeStickyspillfishKathleen_LRRBuchoCambiata
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    First of all : Proper Respect *PROPS!* to Bionic Trousers , Graham , Kathleen and so on... Really enjoyed the editing of this elimination, the banter duels, the suspense around the strip, not revealing much up until the end...little details like leaving the last shot of Maki was well done.

Well, (as always) am surprised to see Erika go, but I would be also if Abby was to go. This is due to the fact that the talent pool is quite damn good and when both contestants are inspired good results are to be expected, as today.
    Abby joke was very well constructed, using Sherlock Holmes made it great for me.
    Erika was more personal and also well constructed... yeah I wouldn't like to be Mike and Jerry from now on.

The real surprise came with the touching moment of Erika on the car, personal level once again reached. This kinda goes again to the respect I have to the editing of this program, considering that they are using the car footage as the focal point of the personal experience of the strippers, instead of showing footage from the house conversations... which is a good way to avoid viewer-generated drama. (yes I know that we its been shown the conversation between Tavis and Amy, but even then it wasn't a random conversation, it was well picked and edited)

(I apologize if my sentence construction isn't the best or annoying, might edit later)

Spman2099MKF36EemarecksaykayA Concerned CitizenKathleen_LRR
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Didn't really find Abby that funny in the earlier episodes but she really cracked me up in this one. Now I am not sure who I am rooting for in the long run. I really don't have any idea of who's already an established comic artist or not otherwise I tend to root for the underdogs.

emarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
    My favorites really have to be Maki, Abby, Monica, and Katie (in no particular order). I think Tavis and Lexxy both will be eliminated soon. Honestly, think about it. Tavis beat Lexxy fair and square, but would Tavis' comic stand up to Maki's mermaids, or Abby's mystery sexventure? Would either of them stand up to Katie's art and experience in the chair? Monica is the only wildcard at this point, but judging by her actual webcomic, she's got the art and the funny to hold her own with Maki and Abby. Katie may be going down soon too, but I suspect that she'll be calmer now on a third elimination. It's rough being sent to the Creators back-to-back in the first two days. Her next time up she'll be a lot funnier, I'm certain of it. She's definitely got the artistic skills. Let's not forget she has a Redraw ticket, too.

It'll really depend on who ends up winning the next couple challenges and who gets put up for elimination as a result. But I'll be surprised if Tavis and Lexxy aren't the next to go if they end up on the elimination stage.

I'm hoping the next social challenge is ping pong. Who's with me? Seems like a fun way to end the week.

I have a few ideas for potential elimination challenges, but I'm not sure how interesting they are. Who's got ideas for yet untapped comic business competitions?

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    Sandra Snantapeslinger
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Woo, go Abby!

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    emarecksaykay
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Katie may be going down soon too, but I suspect that she'll be calmer now on a third elimination. It's rough being sent to the Creators back-to-back in the first two days. Her next time up she'll be a lot funnier, I'm certain of it.

I am a little worried that Katie's humor may not mesh super well with Mike and Jerry all the time. Honestly, I thought Katie's second comic was absolutely hilarious. I think it was the second funniest comic created in the entire competition so far (just behind the gem Abby produced). Personally, I think Katie is probably the most well-rounded competitor. I would position her as being the strongest link; still, I am concerned that her humor may be a little at odds with the PA guys.

emarecksaykay
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You rock, Abby! And I agree with you with the boob correction.
    That wasn’t even a tangent…

Here are my updated overall ranking of the elimination comics:

Maki’s ukulele mermaids
    Abby's naughty mystery
    Lexxy’s areola circus
    Katie’s space table tennis
    Amy’s ukulele mermaids
    Alex’ space table tennis
    Katie’s future lost
    Ty’s future lost
    Mac’s flatulence fair
    Erika's naughty mystery
    Nick’s flatulence fair
    Tavis’ areola circus

I forgot about the elimination going up today so I started watching the show late, and I’m sick in bed, and I was so ashamed of my last attempt, and excuses excuses excuses, so I didn’t even try today but maybe I’ll give it a try next time.

Erika, keep on drawing! I believe in you.
    Your art is among the best.

Sandra Snan on
    A Concerned Citizen
  • katamariuskatamarius aclastic islandRegistered User regular
    Amazing; all that hate throughout the show and Abby totally shows Mike and Jerry they misjudged her. I fricking love Erica, and I am crushed she lost, but it was a really close call which could have went either way.

Erica's goodbye monologue was so, so touching. I sympathy-cried. Hugs, artists.

Angry_SamoanemarecksaykayA Concerned Citizenfraggy
  • Sandra SnanSandra Snan Medium-sized European cityRegistered User regular
    Spman2099: I think referencing the competition directly is something that’s -50 minus points right there.
    Though Gabe and Tycho sort of did it when they attempted the challenge…

emarecksaykay
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Hands down best episode so far. I laughed, I clapped, I cheered, and even actually cried a little bit. Incredible.

Can't wait to see Ping Pong! =D

Sandra SnanemarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Abby had just about the best 90 minutes possible. Used the time really well, nailed the comic, got the actual LOL from the judges, and told Mike to suck a dick. "Your butt is a sassmouth". :lol:

Erika, you made me tear up at the end. There are new friends all over the place outside your door just waiting for you to trip over them. ;)

Sandra SnanAngry_SamoanSpman2099DexOZemarecksaykayt_wandererA Concerned Citizenwn.mikeBucho
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Happy with the outcome, based on the comics. Abby's won the second both Mike and Jerry laughed out loud as soon as they read it. My only issue is that I agree with the others who've posted that it reminds them of Hark a Vagrant!, except it doesn't just remind me of the style, it reminds me of this:
    teslafinal.png

If you sub out Sherlock and his mysteries for Tesla and his science, it's the exact same strip. Right down to the overly formal response, the complete disinterest in the woman, and the shot of unexpected old-timey looking lingerie.

Devonin on
    duddles
  • WeaselsoupWeaselsoup Registered User regular
    fondorf wrote: »
    Abby's was definitely the better comic but it was a rip-off of Kate Beaton's Tesla comic: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=61 Maybe it was intentional maybe not, but it leaves a sour taste...

meh - it's a common enough angle, the cerebral man whose disinterest in women is part of his mystique, so you can't really call the idea a ripoff. and I don't think they're similar enough comics for the execution to be, myself.

then again, I'm the only person in the world (it feels like) who absolutely cannot stand Hark A Vagrant. I hate it, I keep trying to read it to see why everyone loves it so much, and I hate it again. leaves me absolutely cold.

emarecksaykayA Concerned CitizentapeslingerErix The Red
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Wow, way to turn it up Abby, that was a fantastic comic for 90 minutes work. Was looking at her art half way through and thinking this is looking awesome! And that third panel lol, no wonder Mike and Jerry's glasses were fogged up when they got in the car.

Bad luck tonight Erika, gallant in defeat, and a class act all the way.

emarecksaykayA Concerned Citizenfraggy
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    Katie may be going down soon too, but I suspect that she'll be calmer now on a third elimination. It's rough being sent to the Creators back-to-back in the first two days. Her next time up she'll be a lot funnier, I'm certain of it.

I am a little worried that Katie's humor may not mesh super well with Mike and Jerry all the time. Honestly, I thought Katie's second comic was absolutely hilarious. I think it was the second funniest comic created in the entire competition so far (just behind the gem Abby produced). Personally, I think Katie is probably the most well-rounded competitor. I would position her as being the strongest link; still, I am concerned that her humor may be a little at odds with the PA guys.

I thought her second comic was better than her first, honestly. But she referenced the contest, which is a no-no, and yeah, it conveyed more horror than anything. I enjoyed it, I thought it was funny, much better than Ty's, but yeah, Mike and Jerry didn't. But that's why I think she'll be funnier the next time she goes up. It is brutal being up for elimination in the first two nights, and it clearly was hard on her emotionally. She's had time now to make friends with the other strippers, and get a lot more confidence. She's also got a redraw ticket. I think she'll go into her third elimination and do quite well indeed.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    tapeslinger
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Hunh, somehow I missed Fondorf's post linking to that same comic. I dunno Weaselsoup, if two of us in just the couple hours since it was posted, independently went to that same strip, it suggests more than just complete coincidence. Especially since Hark! A Vagrant hasn't updated in so long that it wasn't likely to be recently floating around in our heads. I saw the strip and went "It looks like Kate Beaton, and wow, that's the Tesla joke" and it's probably been at least a full year since I've seen that strip.

That said, I'm not suggesting it means she did something bad, or wrong. Alex's art style was obviously learned at the feet of Penny Arcade, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Kate Beaton is awesome, and if Abby wants to be inspired by her, rock the **** on! Us Canadians gotta stick together.

duddles
  • KnightmareKnightmare PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Both of those comics were hilarious- seeing Abby do some traditional work was really cool too!

I would have to say my favorite part of this was Erika's heartfelt talk at the end- it was really emotional to hear her say the things she did. Her genuine happiness with the competition experience was really great to watch.

I am excited to see the second half of the pack compete now...it could be anybody's game at this point, it's really hard to root for any one artist now!

Spman2099emarecksaykaypartywhippleMKF36EA Concerned Citizen
  • elheberelheber Registered User regular
    If there was milk in my mouth at the time of reading Abby's comic, it would have been all over the screen. This isn't hyperbole; I woke up my cat.

emarecksaykayA Concerned Citizen
  • partywhipplepartywhipple Registered User new member
    Erika's comment about getting to "feel normal" made me tear up.

emarecksaykaySpman2099Maz-A Concerned CitizenBuchoCambiataHiggencantrips