The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #6

• MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    awwwww, Erika! So sorry she's going, I liked her strip a bit more, but I was pleasantly surprised with Abby's strip. So I'm disappointed in the outcome but I think the judges made a good call.

I won't hate them forever. ;)

• there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    Hm. Erika's was a little underwhelming, but not bad at all. Abby's looked great, but lacked... humor, I guess? "The mystery of putting your dick in me" isn't that funny, especially midway through. I felt the joke had to be in Sherlock's reaction, and yet there was none.

The joke hinges on Sherlock's stoic reaction. So yeah, that WAS the joke. If Sherlock had reacted in any other way it would have detracted from the humor immensely.

It's not that there was no reaction - that would've been funnier - he says something along the lines of "Madam please stop this." There was a way of conveying that stoic reaction in a manner less... bland. He could've made a reference to one of his previous cases, called for Watson, something, anything. As it stands, like I said, not much of a joke.

But I did like the setup a lot, the poses and facial expressions... the right punchline would've rocketed it from "not bad" straight to "amazing".
    I think it is pretty crappy to say that someone didn't win on the merits of their comic; especially when most people clearly had a very visceral reaction to Abby's comic. While you may have not appreciated the joke, clearly many other people did. Hell, it is pretty obvious that Mike and Jerry "got" the joke as they burst into laughter upon reading it. So yeah, there is no reason for you to look for ulterior reasons for Abby's victory, the reason she won is readily apparent.

I said no such thing. Abby did very well, as did Erika, but I think it would be naive to assume that M&J didn't take the external factors into consideration. 1) Abby verbally kicked Mike's ass and surprised everyone, and 2) Erika is already an accomplished author so they won't feel bad about sending her home like they did with everyone else.

I'm not saying Abby didn't win on the merits of her work, I'm just pointing out there was obviously a lot of little things making the decision easier.

esob
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    Here's my attempt at the #elimcomic.

I was amazed at how quickly the 90 minutes evaporated, before I started I figured I'd spend 15 minutes on the writing/planning, 30 minutes sketching, and then the remaining 45 inking and whatever. Before I knew it, 45 minutes had gone and I'd barely sketched out the first panel.

Considering I did it at home, with a cup of tea next to me and some tunes playing, producing the kind of strips the challengers are, under the conditions they're working under, is truly incredible.

As with every bit of art I do, I instantly could see things I'd do differently in it, and this is now informed by some of the criticism levelled at the contestant's strips. For example I don't think I need the guy in the final panel saying 'umm...' I could have saved time not drawing him at all, and the 'joke' would still be as effective.

tumblr_mma0hjKWML1r9m78qo1_1280.png

TomantaSpman2099ElbasunufullofgracetheResetButtonT-boltenderandrewDehumanizedNijhazerAngry_SamoanLavidiusFalxHiggenInkstain82RemielSpiffy McBangPaviozerzhulGamercowlord_monkeytonAiouaBuchoDark Raven XAzaminown.mikewahayHewnA Concerned CitizenesobTofystedethkimeemarecksaykay
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    kscully wrote: »

snip: sweet comic

This really friggin' great. Good job!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    kscully
  • nataliesharknatalieshark Registered User regular
    That was a great elimination. I was really curious as to who was going to win. Both Abby and Erika are evenly matched. Both comics were amazing, but I definitely agree with the decision. Erika is still a badass!

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Well, now you have to be entered into Strip Search retroactively, because you just won that elimination.

kscully
  • elgrecosauruselgrecosaurus Registered User regular
    Erika made me cry ;-;

NotaCylon
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that made me cry too I feel bad for erika they are both good comic makers : D

NotaCylon
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Erika's out-tro was so sweet.

Although seriously, why does Abby even have that top?

EDIT: Also @kscully that comic is incredible! But yeah, if you drop the "Umm..." it does work a lot better.

electricitylikesme on
    kscullyesobTofystedethemarecksaykay
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    Here's my submission for the #ElimComic home edition and my thoughts on this last episode!

Home Edition - Mystery + Naughty

Thoughts spoiler: Great episode, great comics, great ideas drawn. I feel like I had a little more control while drawing this week. Just have to know where to cut corners in order to wrap things up before the 90-minute buzzer hits. Wish I could redo the 2nd panel, but I guess that's part of the challenge!

PA-Signature.gif
    enderandrew
  • RemielRemiel Registered User regular
    EDIT: Also @kscully that comic is incredible! But yeah, if you drop the "Umm..." it does work a lot better.

I'll go one up on that. Eliminate all the dialog from the third panel entirely and you have a perfect visual gag. The Chief Inspector and the Constable staring pointedly at the map, trying desperately to decipher a pattern there.

But, @kscully, if you truly did that in 90 minutes then you, sir, are amazing.

kscully
  • YawnitzYawnitz Registered User regular
    I did kind of ignore Abby at first. However, when I read her webcomic about 2 weeks ago, I really started to dig her sense of humor. I could totally hang out with her!

Also, I would totally hug Erika. I would also go to her birthday parties. I'm sure most of us would, though.

emarecksaykay
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    @kscully: Fantastic. And, FWIW, I think the final panel is best left as it is. With no dialogue you lose the clueless detective bit, and if you only include his line then you lose the cop seeing what the detective doesn't. I can sort of understand preferences to the contrary, but at minimum it definitely doesn't need anything removed the way Maki's did.

Buchokscully
  • JuxanderJuxander Registered User regular
    First episode of Strip Search I've watched more than once.

chromdompiersnicaBucho
  • lolapatrolalolapatrola Registered User new member
    Gosling wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »
    I love Abby's strip. I love Abby's sense of humour. I love Abby's sass. I love Abby.

I really wonder if it's a Canadian self-deprecating humour thing, since I immediately found Abby hilarious, but I'm seeing a lot of people who thought she was annoying or depressing or lacked self-confidence. I find that's just the way a lot of our humour tends to come out if you're not used to it.

The funny thing is, Abby isn't actually Canadian. I looked around and when Abby got mentioned in a 'local artist goes on reality show' article, the paper doing the article was the Charlotte Observer. Abby's from North Carolina. Her Montreal connection is that she's a junior at McGill.

Well, I'm gonna speak from experience on this one. Abby and I were very close friends in high school. We still talk online, but Charlotte and Montreal have a bit of miles between them, so I haven't seen her in about a year and a half. (Ever since she got her cat, she hasn't come back to Charlotte) But she identifies as a Canadian much more than an American. We beg her to come back, but she's very happy there. So we're happy for her. Even though we went to an arts high school, she fits in better there I think, and she's happy to call it home. (And has for the past three years) She's just a Canadian who was accidentally born in America.

spillfishLampBoardGameBodhisattva
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Amerika is dead and I can't stop crying
    Okay, I was rooting for Abby, but damn, Erika's exit interview came out of nowhere, and brought me to the verge of tears. Congrats to Abby though. It was so satisfying to see her turn Mike's opinion around.

sig.gif
    Bugsinspace
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A few things:
    1) Erika is so damn genuine. So honest, real, and...genuine. Also, if her smile doesn't make you smile, I'm not sure you're human. Just seemed so happy to be there, to be experiencing the experience, and like she said, meeting new friends.

2) Was Lexxy clapping because she was glad Abby was back, or was she clapping because she was glad Erika didn't come back? Dun Dun DUNNNNNNNN

3) In case it's not obvious, I'm totally trolling in #2

4)*hifive* to Cultural Geek Girl, glad to see someone else has picked up the "spell their names right" gauntlet

5) Scully's comic was awesome.

6) Are people seriously still adhering to Mike's one "The winner hasn't been chosen yet" comment? And putting that one tweet forward as fact that there's going to be a Pax tie-in/finale? Give me some reasons why that comment couldn't be seen as him referencing the truth at that time. There's been several points at which Mike and Jerry have both made statements that referenced the reality at the time of the episodes recording, not the reality of the time they were making comments.

7) Shit, almost forgot, still team Maki/team Monica. Can someone make a gif of Maki sipping the pineapple?

Gamercow on
    kscullyemarecksaykay
  • KylieZDMKylieZDM Registered User regular
    What's with some forumers writing "Spoiler:" after their post? It makes my heart skip a beat and I have no idea why they're doing it?

• NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    KylieZDM wrote: »
    What's with some forumers writing "Spoiler:" after their post? It makes my heart skip a beat and I have no idea why they're doing it?

When you post in the comments for this episode, you're actually posting to the PA forums-- specifically, to this thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178300/strip-search-elimination-6/

View this thread on the PA forums and you'll be able to see the effects of spoiler tags. However, spoiler tags don't work when viewed on stripsearch.tv-- instead, you just see the word "Spoiler:", followed by blanks.

Azaminoemarecksaykay
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    As with every bit of art I do, I instantly could see things I'd do differently in it, and this is now informed by some of the criticism levelled at the contestant's strips. For example I don't think I need the guy in the final panel saying 'umm...' I could have saved time not drawing him at all, and the 'joke' would still be as effective.

tumblr_mma0hjKWML1r9m78qo1_1280.png

That's outstanding as it is but if you take out the "umm..." and just draw him with his finger thoughtfully scratching his chin so that both of them are oblivious I think it would be perfection. Perhaps add an ellipsis to the chief's speech bubble or a trailing-off "but what ...". Maybe the chief is also stroking his chin.

Dumb cops are one of the funniest and most evergreen comedic tropes and this one damn near nails it in 90 min. Superb work.

Bucho on
    kscullyTofystedethemarecksaykay
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    6) Are people seriously still adhering to Mike's one "The winner hasn't been chosen yet" comment? And putting that one tweet forward as fact that there's going to be a Pax tie-in/finale? Give me some reasons why that comment couldn't be seen as him referencing the truth at that time. There's been several points at which Mike and Jerry have both made statements that referenced the reality at the time of the episodes recording, not the reality of the time they were making comments.

Eh. Even if there is a winner, I think it's better if we just act like there isn't. More fun letting things happen in order. And remember we're still trying to go get new viewers. Doesn't help the cause to risk them knowing who the winner is before they even watch.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Finally got to watch this episode several days late.

Feels the whole way around. Going to be very interested to see how the next few episodes go... again, screw you PA for making such amazing content that I want to devour it all instantly and not wait for your silly release schedule :D

emarecksaykay
  • ToastyKenToastyKen Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Here's my Christmas-themed home game entry:

ss-elim-6-home-game-001.jpg

ToastyKen on
    Azamino
  • BugsinspaceBugsinspace Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Is that... Is that a hidden face in Abby's last panel?

Bugsinspace on
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    Woah! Thankyou all so much for your kind comments!|

I totally get what people are saying about the dialogue in the final panel, thanks for the input guys!

I was amazed at how, during the 90 minutes, all I could think of was getting it done, didn't even think about taking 5 to consider the impact of the text and ways it could be changed. Also after the event I did start to think about the implications of 32 unsolved murders spread quite liberally across London, just woah, imagine that.

(Other Brits may recognise the Thames as the map, as the Eastenders title sequence is the only map reference my panicked mind could dream up)

I'll definitely be doing all the remaining elimcomic challenges.

Thanks again!

emarecksaykay
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I'm not saying Abby didn't win on the merits of her work, I'm just pointing out there was obviously a lot of little things making the decision easier.
    If you step back a bit and read your post again, I'm pretty sure you'll see that is exactly what you are saying. Which is a shame, since Abby's comic was fantastic and won easily on its own merits, as was obvious by the judge's reactions.

On a separate note, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Great work Abby, very happy for you. I burst out laughing at your comic. Firmly behind you for the win, you'd be such a great fit in the PA building. Congratulations.

Spman2099Buchoemarecksaykay
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

You might be right but:

1. I don't have the exact tweet on hand but unless I'm misremembering, the wording of the question indicated pretty clearly (to me at least) that it was asking if a final winner has yet been chosen, period. Now it's possible that Mike could have misinterpreted the question or even just flat out lied but why make that assumption considering that...

2. ...withholding the final contest/selection until the end of the show's run would actually be the smartest thing they could do to ENSURE that the final selection absolutely cannot be spoiled no matter what happens or who slips up. Not to mention that I am told by friends who are into reality TV that it's pretty common for shows to pick a winner at the end of the TV run for that very reason.

Now, you may be correct, it certainly is not a given. Who can say what the truth is. But it's certainly not a crazy idea.

Lamp on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    That was my question. The way I worded it was, "Does a winner yet exist?" Mike's answer was a simple "no".

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    emarecksaykay
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Needs to be Monica/Lexxy for elimination next round, as the only two left who have never won an elimination.

emarecksaykay
    edited May 2013
    Gosling wrote: »
    That was my question. The way I worded it was, "Does a winner yet exist?" Mike's answer was a simple "no".

Right, and the idea that Mike actually thought you were asking whether or not the final winner of Strip Search has been named in the episodes aired thus far is pretty unbelievable. Then again, he could have been playing coy or just lying. Who knows. Personally I choose to take him at his word and assume that he understood the question and answered honestly. if that turns out to be wrong then oh well.

Lamp on
    VerticalEvent
  • VerticalEventVerticalEvent Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    Right, and the idea that Mike actually thought you were asking whether or not the final winner of Strip Search has been named in the episodes aired thus far is pretty unbelievable. Then again, he could have been playing coy or just lying. Who knows. Personally I choose to take him at his word and assume that he understood the question and answered honestly. if that turns out to be wrong then oh well.

To quote Mike from the most recent Strip Search episode: "That's a stupid way to interpret that sign."

The idea that Mike interpreting the question as "Hey, during the current episode of Strip Search, did you guys already have a winner picked out?" is kind of insulting to Mike's intelligence.

Lamp
    There's also the fact that about two months prior, he got the same question in an AMA at Reddit and gave a more detailed 'no' that made it explicit that no, as of the AMA, none of the artists had yet won.

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Well, there's also this from the Kickstarter:
    Pledge $750 or more

1 backer Limited (49 of 50 left)

For next year's PA:The Series filming (Strip Search - our new reality show for finding the next big webcomic), you can be one of 50 people in a live studio audience component in Seattle, WA. (you need to handle travel costs)

Estimated delivery: Jan 2013

Which it has been suggested may not have happened yet, although who knows who that one backer is? Maybe they got to be there for the whole series of elimination challenges.

And this from Reddit:
    mehughes124 2 points 2 months ago
    Has the winner already joined the PA megacorp?
    cwGabriel 9 points 2 months ago
    no we do not have a winner yet.

which I'll admit could also be interpreted just to mean that "we" the PA megacorp do not "have" the winner (at the office) yet... but still. It's not just the comment from Twitter.

EDIT: I might as well get the original Tweet in here as well, just so all the info (that I know of) is together:
    Aaron Allermann ‏@aallermann 7m
    @cwgabriel A question just came up in the forum thread. Does a winner yet exist?
    cwgabriel ‏@cwgabriel 5m
    @aallermann no

EDIT2: Kickstarter link removed. Google it.

parmeisan on
    enderandrew
    As far as the audience... well, note all the empty seats in the Thunderdome. They clearly had room to accommodate backers; just only the one guy took them up on it.

Wondering if some of the larger backers might be regretting not taking them up on it. Or if more people will take that option next time around.

emarecksaykay
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Nice to see Abby get a chance to show off her skills.

And holy hell, kskully that's hilarious.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
    edited May 2013
    Wait, there's no freakin way they let some random person come into the studio to witness these early eliminations, right? And the idea that they were going to invite FIFTY people in to watch an elimination? Seems like that would be hugely risky, right? Or am I just totally underestimating the effectiveness of NDAs?

The incentive doesn't describe exactly *which* "live studio audience" component. Could it have something to do with the theorized hasn't-happened-yet Strip Search finale? On the other hand the incentive says "estimated delivery" is Jan. 2013....

Lamp on
    emarecksaykay
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Well Abby made it sound like the NDA they signed included a 100,000 dollar penalty fine if they broke it. Given that PA is a pretty big company, I'm sure they do indeed have a gun that shoots lawyers who could enforce that.

emarecksaykay
  • HerrCronHerrCron Election 2016: not the end of the world But you can see it from hereRegistered User regular
    Oh lawd, this was so good.

And I really like Erica, as an artist and, given what I've seen, a great person. A shame to see her go.
    Abby's comic was fantastic though, felt like a Kate Beacon comic. Which is the *highest* praise.

sig.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Devonin wrote: »
    Well Abby made it sound like the NDA they signed included a 100,000 dollar penalty fine if they broke it. Given that PA is a pretty big company, I'm sure they do indeed have a gun that shoots lawyers who could enforce that.

Worse - they have a gun that shoots Khoos.

(note: Khoo also fires the gun)

KalTorak on
    Spman2099Azaminoenderandrewemarecksaykay
    edited May 2013
    Devonin wrote: »

Yeah, I did think of that. I wonder how that even works though. It makes sense to me that a finite number of show contestant can easily be held accountable. But if you have an audience of 50 strangers sitting in on a show and then later someone leaks spoilers, how would you even BEGIN to determine who did it? On the other hand it would be trivially easy for one of the contestants to anonymously leak spoilers as well, wouldn't it? I'd be very interested to learn how that sort of thing works.

Lamp on
    emarecksaykay