Afrika

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awww.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh shit, awesome

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's some good news.:^:
    Hopefully it'll sell well in NA, and help more games like this get made...ahem...Jurassic Safari anyone?

Scotty on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Of course it comes out after I import it for $texas...

sigh.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It was cheap from play-asia...got mine a couple weeks ago but I'm not feeling it yet.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The chinese version wasn't in stock on P-A forever so I ended up ebaying it. With the exchange rate it came to $80

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And they aren't (from the looks of it) calling it Hakuna Matata, huzzah!

Although to be fair it's a perfectly valid title for this game; it's just that in the pop-culture sphere that particular Swahili phrase has been kind of... claimed.

Still, though, Afrika. That just sounds naturally majestic.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nice. Kinda hope it's released on the PSN too, since it's the sort of game I'd prefer to have on the HDD for quick 10 minute plays. I'm assuming the Big Game Trophy mode is for trophies? So is that going to be patched into the Asian release?

I wonder what happened to National Geographic publishing it though. Did the rest of their announced projects ever get released?

Hopefully Aquanaut's Holiday follows suit pretty soon.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

ah excellent, i hate importing. US Releases for this and Demon's Soul makes me happy.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nice. Kinda hope it's released on the PSN too, since it's the sort of game I'd prefer to have on the HDD for quick 10 minute plays.

Its tad too big (20 GBs) for that.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nice. Kinda hope it's released on the PSN too, since it's the sort of game I'd prefer to have on the HDD for quick 10 minute plays. I'm assuming the Big Game Trophy mode is for trophies? So is that going to be patched into the Asian release?

I wonder what happened to National Geographic publishing it though. Did the rest of their announced projects ever get released?

Hopefully Aquanaut's Holiday follows suit pretty soon.

The ninten-pandas did

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got my copy a couple weeks ago from play-asia, and honestly, though the time I had with it is fun, I was too busy with Wolverine and now Infamous to play it.

Here's hoping Trophies get patched in.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Great news that this and Demon's Soul are getting US releases. It boggled my little mind that they weren't, so it's nice to see that someone has some sense over there.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so this is like Pokemon snap?

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

ah excellent, i hate importing. US Releases for this and Demon's Soul makes me happy.

I actually had a slight twinge at first when I heard this was getting a US release. Then I realized I got it probably 6+ months sooner, and very likely $30 cheaper, and all was well. I'm happy to see it getting brought over though. Really nice, relaxing game.

Aoi on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My copy of the game just arrived today. I was going to post all super-excited that it arrived finally and then I see that it's getting a North American release now, just like Demon's Souls (which was announced the same day my copy shipped).

I have no issue with the fact that I got mine imported, but I only hope that the games get the same content or least trophy patches that work with asian versions of the game.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Same reaction. "I just imported this! Then again, I only paid $30 for a fully English version. And early."

Anyway, I'm a little stuck.
    I have access to all the areas. I have no more missions to do. As far as I know, I've found all the important spots. To give a rough idea of where I'm at, the oxen thingies have not crossed the river yet on the Kinjawa (or whatever) Plains. Any pointers? I've just been driving around to all the areas again, seeing if I missed anything. The only thing of note that I missed before were the little stationary rat things that sit on the rocks.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nalouto wrote: »
    so this is like Pokemon snap?

Kind of. I mean you're taking pictures of animals. It doesn't have items (as far as I'm in, anyway) that you can react to the environment with like in Snap. You also have complete control (after a tutorial period) over the vehicle, so you can wander around through the three unlocked areas as you want, jump out of the vehicle and get up close (as close as they will let you get, anyway) with the animals, and get mauled by the god damned pissy hippos. You also have crazy options once you get the better cameras and lenses that let you take better pictures in different situations, for example riding alongside an animal, taking pics as it chases down its prey, etc.

So I guess the answer is sorta, but more real world, and with more control.

And I'm still tempted to get Demon's Souls now. It's essentially the same price, and I get the game now. I've never been a patient person though, and have always loved importing games.

Aoi on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Played a couple of hours of this to start with. I'm such a damn perfectionist, I tell you. I took what I considered to be professional shots of such magnitude that even America's Next Top Models would have trouble trying to be the focus of the photo and what does the game grade me? "B" on my giraffe water drink photo. A "C" on my herd of gazelle (the Angle was considered so bad, it didn't even get a sliver of the grade bar, it was completely blank). My hippo photo was the only one we saw eye-to-eye on as I maxed out 4 Marvelous grades and got double the payment.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bah, no sooner do I order this for about $30 (including shipping) via a play-asia sale than I poke my head in here and find it is getting a US release.

Oh well, It'd probably be $60 at release, right?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If it's coming out here, it should have Trophies.

I'm hoping they'll patch Trophies into the other versions as well.

I should play this tonight, haven't played it in a while.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, my copy came last night and I enjoyed it for a couple hours today before it froze, right after I got my new camera. Of course, I hadn't saved at all. :(

The zoom on the first camera is pathetic. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so is it still possible to get a copy of this that isn't labeled Hakuna Matata?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you speak Japanese.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I see. . . this. . . is problem. . . I suppose if I truly care I could just print off the japanese label insert so that at least I don't have to see that phrase every time I look at my video game collection.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, but you'd still have to face it on the title screen, loading screens...

Why such a big deal though? :? Its just one stupid phrase and, so far, the game is awesome.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it really doesn't affect the game proper at all. Some games have stupid titles.

It's not like Timon and Pumbaa become your African tour guides as you scout the Pride Lands for pics of lions and hyenas, blasting "Be Prepared" through your Jeep's speakers.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it really doesn't affect the game proper at all. Some games have stupid titles.

It's not like Timon and Pumbaa become your African tour guides as you scout the Pride Lands for pics of lions and hyenas, blasting "Be Prepared" through your Jeep's speakers.

So basically, you're telling him to have No worries, for the rest of his dayyyys:whistle:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah but I'd take some serious flak from everyone who ever saw my video game collection ever about "ololol u have game called Hakuna Matata" and then I'd have to explain that it's a photography game in africa, blah blah blah.

And I'd much rather not have to defend my honor every time. . . it'd almost be as bad as if I had the pinnacle of gaming in my collection, except the game's name was "Big Gay Steve's Big Gay Gay Fest: The Second Coming." Except BGSBGGF:TSC would probably be easier to explain away.

edit: but anyway, I'm an insecure gamer I guess.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah but I'd take some serious flak from everyone who ever saw my video game collection ever about "ololol u have game called Hakuna Matata" and then I'd have to explain that it's a photography game in africa, blah blah blah.

And I'd much rather not have to defend my honor every time. . . it'd almost be as bad as if I had the pinnacle of gaming in my collection, except the game's name was "Big Gay Steve's Big Gay Gay Fest: The Second Coming." Except BGSBGGF:TSC would probably be easier to explain away.

It must suck to care so much about what other people think about you that it's stopping you from buying a game based solely on the title.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I want to tell everyone I see that I have an imported PS3 photography safari game... If the title gets more people to ask about it, all the better.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It must suck to care so much about what other people think about you that it's stopping you from buying a game based solely on the title.

It's not so bad. I mean, it's kind of nice when people like you more and don't think you're a disney fan.

but no, I've already suggested that if I cared enough I'd just print off one of the japanese labels for the american version I'm probably already committed to buying.

but it's the same sort of thing where I probably wouldn't buy a game if the cover was chock-full of scantily clad nazi-lolis, especially if the game in some other region had normal (read: non-pedo) cover art.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ITT we equate titles associated with Disney movies to Nazi pedo art :P

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It's not so bad. I mean, it's kind of nice when people like you more and don't think you're a disney fan.

People that can't enjoy (good) Disney films are no friend of mine!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it strange that out of all the games for the PS3 this game is the one that makes me want to buy one? I mean I still won't, but damn I am jealous. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fun fact from Africa-boy: The only place in Tanzania, the nation who uses Swahili first and only, you ever hear the words Hakuna Matata is from the lips of people in tourist resorts. The proper form is hamna shida.
    Only shang-speaking Kenyans ever say Hakuna Matata.

Trust me, I've lived there.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Is it strange that out of all the games for the PS3 this game is the one that makes me want to buy one? I mean I still won't, but damn I am jealous. :(

Not really. I probably won't ever buy it but it's neat and one of the first games I saw for the PS3 that wowed me.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What, you think people are going to hate you if they mistake you for a Disney fan? Most people in the world enjoy Disney movies; even if you don't, a misunderstanding like that wouldn't have a negative effect.

Anyway, I think "Afrika" is a much sillier name.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Anyway, I think "Afrika" is a much sillier name.

Why? Afrika was the original spelling of Africa, and many organizations and individuals still spell it this way today. Plus that's, you know, where the game takes place.

UnbreakableVow on