As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Afrika

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I, for one, will be disappointed if I can't bludgeon hyenas with my camera using SIXAXIS™ motion controls.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It seems silly to me to go through the trouble of making such a beautiful game and not let me fuck around with animals. Let me tie a bottle rocket to a rhino's tail or something.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    let me reiterate, i dont think this game is for you.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the whole point of the game is to foster an appreciation for the animals and the environment, not to act like a dick. If you want to shoot 'em in the head, there's always Cabela's Big Game Hunter or whatever the hell it's called.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    I think the whole point of the game is to foster an appreciation for the animals and the environment, not to act like a dick.

I don't understand video games anymore.

But really, is there no interaction with the animals at all?

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But seriously. What WOULD happen if I tried to ram the jeep into an animal?

Remington on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i dunno about driving jeeps into them, but if you startle the animals or they catch your scent or whatever they will get pissed off. if you dont get out of there quick they will maul you and you will lose all the pictures you had taken on that run. something like that anyway, i havent actually played the game yet :(

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So it's like Metal Gear Solid meets Fatal Frame meets the zoo!

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you drive into the animals you lose your job and get arrested.

From then on, every time you put the game in your PS3 it's just the character sitting in jail.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, seeing how good the English support for this is it makes me think that they knew it'd never get a release outside of Asia and wanted to cater to the importers.

Willeth on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    If you drive into the animals you lose your job and get arrested.

From then on, every time you put the game in your PS3 it's just the character sitting in jail.

Escape from Afrika

Remington on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Man, seeing how good the English support for this is it makes me think that they knew it'd never get a release outside of Asia and wanted to cater to the importers.

Cheers Willeth! You just made me part with 40 pounds... Man, this game better live up to the Hype, and it's not some kind of cruel joke made by Scotty.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't actually have it, you know. I'm going off the screens Scotty posted.

Willeth on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't actually have it, you know. I'm going off the screens Scotty posted.

Yeah, I got it.

I actually just quoted you to thank you for posting the link to Renchi, the fabulous pokemon of imports.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Haha, if it's any good I'll throw up a link on SavyGamer.

Willeth on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, I don't joke about stuff like this...I'm no asshole.:wink:
    If you're interested in photography, animals, and liked Endless Ocean (if you ever played it) then you will LOVE this game. It's like Endless Ocean is a couple of mild flavored chicken wings, Hakuna Matata is the whole fuckin' chicken.

If you fit into the criteria above, and don't like this game, I...I just don't understand the world anymore.

Ok, I was just driving around this new area, right along some rocks where I seriously thought, "theres not going to be anything here", but decided to walk into this little out of the way spot between the rocks. I stay still, and look around for a bit. Suddenly I notice something sitting on one of the rocks sunning itself...it was some kind of African rat or prairie dog (not a Meerkat...it was really small)...I have a feeling this game has surprises for those willing to wait for them.

*EDIT*

Just received a "trap cam"...a camera you set up next to burrows and such, so that when an animal comes out, you REMOTELY snap the photo. (I like that)

Also, for those wondering if you can HIT the animals with your jeep....nope. Well, you can, but the game just stops and the girl in the back scolds you for it...that's it.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Oh, I don't joke about stuff like this...I'm no asshole.:wink:
    If you're interested in photography, animals, and liked Endless Ocean (if you ever played it) then you will LOVE this game. It's like Endless Ocean is a couple of mild flavored chicken wings, Hakuna Matata is the whole fuckin' chicken.

If you fit into the criteria above, and don't like this game, I...I just don't understand the world anymore.

Ok, I was just driving around this new area, right along some rocks where I seriously thought, "theres not going to be anything here", but decided to walk into this little out of the way spot between the rocks. I stay still, and look around for a bit. Suddenly I notice something sitting on one of the rocks sunning itself...it was some kind of African rat or prairie dog (not a Meerkat...it was really small)...I have a feeling this game has surprises for those willing to wait for them.

Man I am looking forward to getting this. I think I'll take my PS3 home for Easter and play it there.

I bet you there are lizards camouflaged super well and all sorts. Are there any online photo repositories? An Aflikr, if you will?

Willeth on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pifman wrote: »
    They spelled Africa wrong.

I hope its not as racist as RE5

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So what website can I import this from? I'm in the US, and won't use eBay.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    *Stuff Scotty said*

Man I am looking forward to getting this. I think I'll take my PS3 home for Easter and play it there.

I bet you there are lizards camouflaged super well and all sorts. Are there any online photo repositories? An Aflikr, if you will?

Yeah I dunno man. I'm still figuring this stuff out myself. I hope you're right about camouflaged animals and stuff...have to see. Even so, this is one beautiful game, and I can see playing it from time to time easily, it'll be in my PS3 library forever. Hell, I can't stop playing it right now.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    So what website can I import this from? I'm in the US, and won't use eBay.

Actually, I found available copies on RenChi. Has anyone used this site before?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I used them an hour or so ago. They accept PayPal so if you're worried about them, use that and you'll be more covered.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm more worried about PayPal.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well then pay by credit card! Jesus! :D

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I will!

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Having recently gotten into d-slr photography, this game suddenly sounds awesome.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll be able to order this game in two weeks. Yargh! It's too far away! I also want to import Aquanauts. It's amazing that these two games probably won't see the light of day outside of Asia but they include full English translations.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goddamit, stop making me want this game.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'll be able to order this game in two weeks. Yargh! It's too far away! I also want to import Aquanauts. It's amazing that these two games probably won't see the light of day outside of Asia but they include full English translations.

It's a matter more deep than just having translations. With what I've read, the load times and save sizes are pretty horrific. That and they would probably need to add trophy support and picture sharing servers for other continents. It sounds like significant effort would be required to get it up to a standard where the majority of users would not be in an uproar over.

Since this title is going to be niche, the time and money required to get it up to par is probably too much to get it overseas. It makes me sad. I've been waiting for this to come to the NA for awhile, and if they don't bring it to EU, I have little hope. I may just import the Chinese version as well.

Cobell on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cobell wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

It's a matter more deep than just having translations. With what I've read, the load times and save sizes are pretty horrific. That and they would probably need to add trophy support and picture sharing servers for other continents. It sounds like significant effort would be required to get it up to a standard where the majority of users would not be in an uproar over.

Since this title is going to be niche, the time and money required to get it up to par is probably too much to get it overseas. It makes me sad. I've been waiting for this to come to the NA for awhile, and if they don't bring it to EU, I have little hope. I may just import the Chinese version as well.

Load times...yes, they definitely take longer than most games. Not a deal breaker that's for sure, but true that they take like almost a full minute. Saving...same thing. (You don't save really until you're going to stop playing anyhow) I can tell you that it's not ever bothered me..sort of thought, "Hmmmm...this takes longer to load the main game, and to save...oh well...worth it."

Been trying to hunt down this rainbow lizard, been like an hour...nothing...and I'm glad, as I want it to be a challenge to find some of these bastards, makes it even sweeter when you capture a shot of them.:)

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    iMatt wrote: »
    I got mine from yesasia.com - and I can also vouch for the awesomeness of this title!

Just noticed your post, would you say that I've depicted the game accurately? I'd hate to overhype something, and have people be disappointed, even though I don't believe I have.

Scotty on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got mine from yesasia.com - and I can also vouch for the awesomeness of this title!

Just noticed your post, would you say that I've depicted the game accurately? I'd hate to overhype something, and have people be disappointed, even though I don't believe I have.

How accurate are the cameras in this game to their real life counter parts, is there a fairly wide array of camera brands/types too? Is it like gran turismo of camera games? haha.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

How accurate are the cameras in this game to their real life counter parts, is there a fairly wide array of camera brands/types too? Is it like gran turismo of camera games? haha.

I'd guess, but I'm not positive, that it's only Sony cameras and lenses.

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Six wrote: »

I'd guess, but I'm not positive, that it's only Sony cameras and lenses.

Yeah, it's just Sony cameras, but they definitely show them off well. When you buy a new one, they almost have a mini commercial for the one you just bought. (Real footage used, not in-game graphics)
    Each camera has the same settings as the real one as for as I know. You buy separate camera bodies and lenses.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It makes sense - why not use the game as a giant commercial for your D-SLR line and lens system?

It doesn't make much difference to me, really - other brands' bodies and lenses would for the most part just be redundant and make the whole thing more complicated.

Edit: Not that it wouldn't be cool to be able to buy high end Canon or Nikon gear - I'm just not sure it would really make a difference in the game, and would make things needlessly complicated.

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It makes sense - why not use the game as a giant commercial for your D-SLR line and lens system?

It doesn't make much difference to me, really - other brands' bodies and lenses would for the most part just be redundant and make the whole thing more complicated.

Yeah, I'm a CANON man myself, but what do you do, right? (Not like it makes a difference in the game)

*EDIT*

Yeah, exactly.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Plus you'd get into a situation where people might decide, "Shit, Canon and Nikon seem to give you a great camera for the money, and have a more extensive range of lenses!"

D-SLR commercial: defeated :)

Six on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Plus you'd get into a situation where people might decide, "Shit, Canon and Nikon seem to give you a great camera for the money, and have a more extensive range of lenses!"

D-SLR commercial: defeated :)

Hahaha, true true.:^:

Scotty on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Everyone knows that Sony cameras are the best for photographing virtual animals anyway.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This game would sell me a PS3 if it came out in the US with decent support.

I'm such a SUCKER for stuff like this, and I don't know what in my brain makes me love this stuff.

Pokemon Snap is the only Pokemon game I ever played (and bought it again for the VC). Viva Pinata 2 was a purchase once I realized you could take photos in it.

This sounds like what I wanted Endless Ocean to be. I have an aquarium so Endless Ocean was a dream game for me, but the Wii's graphics and the lack of any sort of solid way to track down species you haven't seen yet (they tell you where they are...after you find them. So its just luck up until then.) kinda sucked. This sounds PERFECT.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow