As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Afrika

• Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And I thought I had expensive hobbies. Outdoor hobbies are even more expensive. I wanted to take up scuba diving a few years back, but my ears won't allow it. Climbing is one I've been pondering too, but since there are hardly any decent climbing facilities nearby (and I loathe driving long distances) I've held off on that as well.

My hobbies mostly consist of extreme consumerism. I've been back into collecting comics for a couple of years and it's set me back quite a bit.

If I could and was actually good with cameras in real life, I'd love to go an a real African safari. For now, this will have to suffice. I'll add you as a friend on PSN. As soon as I find out how to send photo's, I'll send you some nice cats once I shoot them (I've only encountered one and haven't managed a shot that was up to snuff as it was moving too fast).

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spent the last day or so dabbling in this. I'm not quite as enamoured as everyone else, but on ther other hand:
    2r3v7ro.png
    2sb6eeh.png

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I fail to see the main point in your post...

You do realise all PS3 games are region free right?

Also: Phonebone, you're a bad man. I have a wedding and a holiday to save up for. My other-half would kill me if I ordered this :)
    Grinch,

This particular game was translated, yes. However. I don't think I'm going to bank on it being easily importable by the time I get a PS3. I can picture this becoming one of those expensive eBay games. And fuck that.

Yakuza is unplayable in sushi-speak, which I thought was self evident, hence the need for localization.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-15-afrika-70-33h6.html

Granted, it seems to be out for the moment, but they're stocking it.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Phonebone for picking up the torch concerning this game. (I'm going to add you to my friends list if that's cool) :D

Antihippy...I said it already in the thread, but it's been out of stock at Play-Asia forever, seriously, I don't think it's going to be in stock...ever.

I've been playing it again, and found that there's a lot of places to search, and it's a much bigger game than I at first thought...so sweet.

Scotty on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Waiting anxiously for this... Mom's friend bought it for me off ebay so now I just need to pay him back. Can't wait. This seems like such a great, relaxing game. I'm going to spend so much time watching the lions and the cheetahs

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Renchi and YesAsia both have it in stock for anyone that wants it.

I just got an assignment to take a photo of an enraged buffalo. This is geting difficult.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Willeth, if you decide you don't like the game then there's someone around here willing to take it off your hands :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have this game and have played a good amount. Unlocked the third area. Both my gf and I love this game. It does require patience, as sometimes you do have to just sit and wait and strike a pose or do whatever. However, if you're worried about language, this game is absolutely fully translated. It has a helpful in game manual explaining all the camera features. And messing with features and seeing the photos instantly is very fun.

If you're interested in the idea of a photography game with stellar character models, animation and lighting, then this is for you.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This thread has me interested. I might go ahead and pick up Hakuna Matata.

Out of curiosity, is there a site or somewhere that talks about imports from Japan/Asia and says whether or not they can be played by English speakers? Or, better yet, can anyone recommend any imports that an English speaker can play and understand? I've already picked up Siren Blood Curse when Play Asia was having their sale.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    can anyone recommend any imports that an English speaker can play and understand? I've already picked up Siren Blood Curse when Play Asia was having their sale.

I'm not deep enough into imports to be aware of any games that aren't occasionally highlighted by the western media, so beyond Afrika the only other import I'm aware of with English-friendly language support is Demons Souls. Oh, I also think there's an Asia version of Aquanaut's Holiday that also supports English.

But yeah, between Afrika and Demons Souls I'll very likely be doing some more importing this year.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sam doesn't buy a PS3.

Sony goes down in flames.

More at 11.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Thanks Phonebone for picking up the torch concerning this game. (I'm going to add you to my friends list if that's cool) :D

Antihippy...I said it already in the thread, but it's been out of stock at Play-Asia forever, seriously, I don't think it's going to be in stock...ever.

I've been playing it again, and found that there's a lot of places to search, and it's a much bigger game than I at first thought...so sweet.

Awww, really? :(

I'll look into YesAsia though.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sam doesn't buy a PS3.

More at 11.

I laughed.

Antihippy, yeah, it's out there, who knows for how long...I suggest you grab it up as soon as you can.:^:

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Willeth, if you decide you don't like the game then there's someone around here willing to take it off your hands :)

Oh no, I'm enjoying it, it's just that I think I'd built my expectations up a bit high. I'd like more missios to do at one time, for example.

Also, has anyone figured out how to use the tent? I have it in my inventory, I can't use it, and whenever it hits sunset I just end up back at base camp the next morning.

For the guy who was looking for a site that lists playable titles in English, Play-Asia usually keeps a pretty reliable checklist for stuff like that. I can't remember if it's just compatibility or language, though.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Oh no, I'm enjoying it, it's just that I think I'd built my expectations up a bit high. I'd like more missios to do at one time, for example.

Also, has anyone figured out how to use the tent? I have it in my inventory, I can't use it, and whenever it hits sunset I just end up back at base camp the next morning.

For the guy who was looking for a site that lists playable titles in English, Play-Asia usually keeps a pretty reliable checklist for stuff like that. I can't remember if it's just compatibility or language, though.

Pretty sure the tent is only used when you're in one of the maps that aren't the one that has the Base Camp.
    Drive out to the lake area and wait for sundown. It gives you the choice of returning to Base Camp, or setting up camp for the night where you are.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sam doesn't buy a PS3.

More at 11.

I laughed.

Antihippy, yeah, it's out there, who knows for how long...I suggest you grab it up as soon as you can.:^:

But I'm too poor... :( Plus Disgaea 3 looks set to suck up my life now.

It'll probably still be available in a few months, right?

Right?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Difficult to tell, always in motion the future." -Yoda

Scotty on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This just arrived today. Can't wait to give it a try!

Artereis on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kind of late to ask since I've already ordered it, but oh well --

What is the gameplay like? What I'm basically wondering is if I'd be able to give my daughter the controller and say "run around and look at animals" or is it more demanding? I know there is the photography aspect to it, but I was curious if it was possible to just kind of roam around and ignore the "game" part of it, basically.

She can handle the Lego games if a gauge on her capability is needed :)

capnrico on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you can, but for them to do anything more than just run away from you, you have to patiently wait in bushes

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, the animals will run away. The antelope are particularly skittish. Once you get control of the jeep it's easier to get close to them but you'll always be chasing them down.

Willeth on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    just read the thread.

so with this and Yakuza 3, Sony would actually have me completely convinced that the PS3 is the better console.
    Now I'm not particularly well known on the board, but that's pretty drastic seeing as I've never considered the PS3 to be anything other than a more expensive 360 with (slightly) less interesting exclusives overall.

But Afrika, Yakuza 3, Yakuza Kenzan!, LBP, Linger in Shadows, Pixeljunk, supposed exclusive L.A Noire and Noby Noby Boy make PS3 the better console for me, and make it the more progressive console in my view, which is what's most important.

However, take away Afrika and Yakuza, and I stop giving a shit about the rest.

Just, wow. Way to fail, Sony.

LA Noire hasn't been PS3 exclusive since Sony dropped it like 3 years ago and there's a pretty good reason why they dropped it, Team Soho are a mediocre developer.

As for Yakuza, it's a Sega game, how exactly is it Son'y fault that Sega don't want to localise it? And what makes you think Sony would localise it specifically for you? As much as I love the Yakuza series, there's no getting passed the fact that the first two sold like crap in the US.

I've no idea why you're bitching about Afrika though, it could actually end up coming out in the US/Europe, we just haven't heard anything about it since National Geographic were meant to localise it.

Because exclusivity isn't a joke and Sony is on some level invested, even if they didn't do any more than ask Sega to make it a PS3 game. To break it down even further, Sony is at the very least aware/in communication with Sega re: Yakuza staying platform exclusive. More likely, they paid some money for it, given that the series is big in Japan. Therefore Sony, like Microsoft with Shenmue, is in a position to make a small investment in an existing platform exclusive, and get it localized.
    I don't think they'd do it "just for me". I think they'd do it for whatever segment of the market I represent, Xbox 360 owners with no plans to switch. Conceivably Sony wants as many people to throw money down on a PS3 as possible, given that they aren't exactly dominating this time around. Well here I am ready to do just that, but they're blissfully unaware of the fact that there exists a market that doesn't want MGS/FF but are still interested in a more varied/artful type of game than Gears of War/Halo.

And the first 2 yakuza didn't "sell like crap", they sold about as well as a PS2 game released that late into the cycle after everyone has moved on could.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sam doesn't buy a PS3.

More at 11.

It's not about me, it's about who would possibly be interested in getting a PS3 that isn't/hasn't already, and why. If I were at Sony I'd be fascinated by any motivation any 360 owner would have to switch over. Wouldn't you?

And in consumer markets, there are no unique snowflakes. I am not the only person who would be sold on Yakuza and Afrika as exclusives. Is all of this really so outlandish to you people?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Considering how well Yakuza 2 did in the west (as in not very), I don't think Yakuza 3 is going to convince enough people to actually justify it.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Because exclusivity isn't a joke and Sony is on some level invested, even if they didn't do any more than ask Sega to make it a PS3 game. To break it down even further, Sony is at the very least aware/in communication with Sega re: Yakuza staying platform exclusive. More likely, they paid some money for it, given that the series is big in Japan. Therefore Sony, like Microsoft with Shenmue, is in a position to make a small investment in an existing platform exclusive, and get it localized.
    I don't think they'd do it "just for me". I think they'd do it for whatever segment of the market I represent, Xbox 360 owners with no plans to switch. Conceivably Sony wants as many people to throw money down on a PS3 as possible, given that they aren't exactly dominating this time around. Well here I am ready to do just that, but they're blissfully unaware of the fact that there exists a market that doesn't want MGS/FF but are still interested in a more varied/artful type of game than Gears of War/Halo.

And the first 2 yakuza didn't "sell like crap", they sold about as well as a PS2 game released that late into the cycle after everyone has moved on could.

o_O Are you kidding? Yakuza 1 sold 56k and Yakuza 2 sold 24k in the US. That is most certainly crap. As much as I'd love Sony to publish both Kenzan and 3, we represent a tiny segment of the market and the resources they'd spend on publishing them would probably be better spent on other projects.

Anyway, I'm really considering importing Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday from Renchi (who have both in-stock, unlike Play Asia). So I've a couple of questions for people that own either. I assume when it says both games are English/Chinese it means that the voice acting is in Chinese and the text is in English? I also assume the Aquanaut's Holiday trophies are all in Chinese?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got the Asian Hakuna Matata from yes-asia and it's full English all the way...

iMatt on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really want shit like this to come to the 360. Unique Japanese games are the only things making me regret my choice of console.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game sounds really interesting.

Too bad that by the time I own a PS3 (When its in a position similar to the PS2 was a couple years ago) it'll probably be impossible to get. :(

Still, the world needs more games like this.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

o_O Are you kidding? Yakuza 1 sold 56k and Yakuza 2 sold 24k in the US. That is most certainly crap. As much as I'd love Sony to publish both Kenzan and 3, we represent a tiny segment of the market and the resources they'd spend on publishing them would probably be better spent on other projects.
    \

What the hell do you expect for a last gen game releasing on a last gen console well into the 360/PS3 generation? It was never going to sell huge or anything, but releasing with next to no promotion (No magazine gave a fuck and why would they when there were 360/PS3/Wii games coming out at the same time) on a dead console YEARS after the games were originally released, you can't expect much better.
    Also, translating one game is more than within Sony's reach. It's really not so unfathomable an expense. Yakuza 3 would easily find a market, it's current gen and therefore not technologically antiquated, it's RPGish, it would appeal to anime fans and it's hyper-violent. If people will buy DOA volleyball twice, they'll buy this.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Except DOA volleyball came from a franchise that is popular and well-established in the West.

And boobs.

Yakuza for Sony and Sega is probably just not worth the effort.

And the PS2 is not dead yet. Not for me anyway.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What the hell do you expect for a last gen game releasing on a last gen console well into the 360/PS3 generation? It was never going to sell huge or anything, but releasing with next to no promotion (No magazine gave a fuck and why would they when there were 360/PS3/Wii games coming out at the same time) on a dead console YEARS after the games were originally released, you can't expect much better.
    Also, translating one game is more than within Sony's reach. It's really not so unfathomable an expense. Yakuza 3 would easily find a market, it's current gen and therefore not technologically antiquated, it's RPGish, it would appeal to anime fans and it's hyper-violent. If people will buy DOA volleyball twice, they'll buy this.

In 2006, when Yakuza 1 was released, the PS2 was consistantly outselling the 360 every month, so no, it was FAR from being dead at that point (the Wii and PS3 were still 2 months from launch too). And while I agree that the complete lack of marketing would've hurt it, it's not much of an excuse.

SCEA's localisation team isn't very big either, which is why it took them forever to localise Rogue Galaxy.

Our best hope for Yakuza 3 and Kenzan getting a US and PAL release would be a small studio like XSEED or Ignition (which is actually possible since Shane Bettenhausen is a fan of the series and is now the 'Director of Business Development'). Otherwise, it probably just won't happen.

iMatt: Thanks, it's looking even more tempting now.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would like to see more of the niche games that Sony would be hesitant to publish in a boxed, retail form, end up on PSN as a full download. They did it with Siren, I'm sure they could do it with the others. The only resources spent then, would be localizing these games. And Afrika has already been translated. How hard is it to just upload the damn thing on their servers and sell it?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just got this game today and I'm loving, but I'm wondering when I'll be able to buy new cameras and lenses? I have the Sony camera that was sent in the mail, the alpha 100, and I'm doing the Cheetah hunt mission right now. I have money to burn!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just got this game today and I'm loving, but I'm wondering when I'll be able to buy new cameras and lenses? I have the Sony camera that was sent in the mail, the alpha 100, and I'm doing the Cheetah hunt mission right now. I have money to burn!

Just keep doing jobs, eventually you'll get an email offering you the latest camera.:^:

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

Just keep doing jobs, eventually you'll get an email offering you the latest camera.:^:

So do you not buy cameras, just lenses and equipment? In any case, I just opened up the swamp area but there's a huge lightning storm outside, so I turned off the game for now. I like that I can transfer my pictures to my harddrive, and I uploaded a few! They were taking on the beginning camera so things are a little fuzzy.
    HAKUNAMATATA.png

HAKUNAMATATA_1.png

HAKUNAMATATA_2.png

Now to save up for Aquanaut's Holiday!

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, once you get better cameras, your photos get clearer and crisper. (Still nice shots though)

Yes, save for AH...it's my latest addiction. Gotta o back to Hakuna Matata though soon.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I bought this last night on playasia and I got an email confirmation that it was sent today.

Wonder how long it takes something to get from Hong Kong to Florida?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does the game eventually run out of things for you to do? I'm curious if missions are finite and you'll have fuck all to do once you complete them. It'll still be fun to go around and take pictures and share them, but it would be nice if there was a constant stream of things for you to do.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I chose to get an ipod and nike + instead of this game.

This makes me sad but, being summer, I need to get back in to exercise.

That doesn't stop me feeling bad that I could have bought this game with the money and sit on my arse taking pictures of giraffes.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You chose...poorly.

you-chose-poorly.jpg

UnbreakableVow on