As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need Thematic Song Suggestion for Video

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I used to work as a cinematographer and now simply dabble into video work as a hobby. I'm currently wanting to slap together a trailer-like video using concept art for a game setting. Since there is no video nor speaking, just text and collage of concept art, I need a very "heavy" music piece. It needs to hold a lot of attention, since there is no voice-over, but yet it needs to be mostly instrumental. I'm trying to find something that has a soft intro, then rises into something pretty dramatic. I've been thinking of using something like Nightwish or Nine Inch Nails.

Anyone have any recommendations? Orchestral is good, percussion is good.

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have the perfect song. You can buy it off of iTunes.

Clubbed to Death - Rob Dougan

WuckFarcraft on
  • leftrightleftright Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I used this as intro

vespertilio- hans zimmer and james newton howard

from the batman begins soundtrack

edit:

nine inch nails?

la mer is kind of soft but Just Like You Imagined might work, I rove that song

leftright on
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How long should it be?

Some of DJ Tiësto's stuff might work. He has a couple of disc opener tracks that start off quiet and orchestral, then expand to a pretty dramatic tune.
    Examples would be Forever Today from "Just Be" and Magik Journey from "In My Memory"

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    maybe an instrumental version of "killing in the name"

MotherFirefly on
  • LateralistLateralist Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You might look into music by Mogwai or other "post-rock" bands, since most of that genre is completely instrumental and a lot of it involves songs which sort of rise into big dramatic crescendos.

OK I found right here you can listen to one of Mogwai's tracks called "Auto Rock" which I think might be right up your alley.

Lateralist on
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think Shugo Tokumaru has some stuff that could be good, his music is hard to find though- http://myspace.com/shugotokumaru http://shugotokumaru.com/

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    try and find a track by Ghosts and Vodka.

Legal download of course.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's the overall theme and feel of the setting?

Grid System on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After watching the BSG season finale last night, all I can think about is their cover of "All Along the Watchtower". Honestly, it fits the description you need almost perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're getting a full version of it until the soundtrack is released. But you never know, it may pop up sooner.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    After watching the BSG season finale last night, all I can think about is their cover of "All Along the Watchtower". Honestly, it fits the description you need almost perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're getting a full version of it until the soundtrack is released. But you never know, it may pop up sooner.

Hahaha, are you serious? I was going to post this like 30 minutes ago but thought against it. But now that he said it... that shit would have been awesome.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Hahaha, are you serious? I was going to post this like 30 minutes ago but thought against it. But now that he said it... that shit would have been awesome.
    It really would. Slow beginning, unique Indian instruments, and the intro is long and mostly orchestral. And then the heavy guitar riffs kick in and the whole thing starts to rock out until they go full blown into the actual song.

Man, I NEED that soundtrack!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Apocolyptica? Their most popular stuff is Metallica songs played on cellos. Instrumental, of course.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Since you've mentioned NIN, "Eraser" off The Downward Spiral might work good: plenty of primal percussion and those blaring sirens--it has more of an orchestral build that would work good for a trailer. Only drawback would be figuring out a way to cut out the screaming lyrics at the end--will you be using software to edit the music?

If you want to try offsetting and using music that's different from the visuals (think Mad World with the Gears of War commercial), how about M83's "Let Men Burn Stars"? It's all gorgeous piano and non-lyric vocals. Grab a copy of the MP3 and see if you like it.

Other possibilities:

Skinny Puppy's "Jahya."

Godspeed You Black Emperor does some awesome orchestral stuff with lots of builds, but you'd have to dig through their 20 minute + songs to find a good snippet.

Over half of Moby's stuff is orchestral, builds after a soft start and would be perfect for a project like this, but I don't know if it fits in with what you're looking for.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried most of the suggestion in here and nothing is really sticking. However, the last post here has some great ideas, I didn't even think of Moby or Skinny Puppy. I'll wade through my collection with them. I'm trying to find something that's more in the line of "Carmina Burina" then anything else.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Try Finished Symphony by Hybrid. The video is kind of retarded, but the music might get the job done. If not that specific track, look at some other productions by those guys.

If that kind of thing isn't "heavy enough", maybe look into The Crystal Method.

Grid System on