As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!] Armored Core 4 - REGULATION 1.40X IS OUT - MINIGUNS ARE FAST AGAIN

• Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Edit: Also, jester. What is your avatar from? It's been bugging me for years.
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    GOD DAMN IT. Those laser rifles are getting out of hand. Every skill-less little bitch is using a pair of them. They pierce Kojima barriers like nothing. They do WAY too much damage to fucking merit how little EN they eat up. I WANT THAT REGULATION FILE TO COME OUT ALREADY! It's been nerfed in the Japanese version long ago.

Sportsmanship is dead. Goddamn it. Call me old-fashioned, but at least people can have a good challenge that way without anyone resorting to cheap cheese.

Which lasers are you talking about in particular? Or is it laser rifles in general? If so that makes me sad cause I've always liked energy weapons in AC games. But I'm not a big fan of overpowered weapons so I dont want to practice in the single player using a gun I wont want to take online.

Edit: Also, jester. What is your avatar from? It's been bugging me for years.

The handheld Laser Rifles. They penetrate kojima armor like nothing and cause way too much damage to even EN-protective armor compared to how much EN they drain per shot and how quickly said shots are. It's ridiculous. I guess this is what happens when you can wield TWO at once, eh?

I only used one at the moment. If using one proves to be too powerful online I guess I'll switch to a rifle or something. Knowing me I'll find the worst rated weapons in the game and somehow try to make it work. I have a soft spot for the underdog.

And thank you twisted. I can sleep easily tonight now....

now I realize how painfully obvious that that is donatello. I don't know why but up until now I saw it as some sort of crazy motorcycle helemt with donatello's mouth being some sort of visor eyeslit and the eyes just being odd highlighting.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The AK-looking rifles fire pretty damn fast. One could argue that they're a step below the Laser Rifles. At least you need to stop and reload THOSE, and they suck at penetrating Kojima barriers.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Spawn733Spawn733 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They say that if you keep moving fast and/or get right up close to kojima rifle users, you can take em on. But if you're caught unawares or just slow, you might be in for trouble....

And how do you know they nerfed the Japanese version a long time ago, D00d??

Spawn733 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want this game so badly. I was going to wait for a demo, but I just can't. It's soo....Pretty.....Must build giant robots remake Hellsblade and Dom replica IT MUST BE DONE

The customization is as good as ever, right? Is it even better in terms of painting?

yalborap on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Apparently that's what a lot of people are saying, but I'm thinking it's just miscommunication. Either way, the buzz is that the EN rifles are going to get nerfed.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sportsmanship is dead. Goddamn it. Call me old-fashioned, but at least people can have a good challenge that way without anyone resorting to cheap cheese.
    I'm with you on this one. These damn guns are making it nearly impossible to run in there with a swords-only setup. Granted, this is not a setup that can survive much of anything, but seriously. All my PA is for nothing against this crap.

Still, I love wrecking these gutless bitches' shit with my LAZER BLADEZ.

I like how it's not Parrying Blade anymore. Just Blade. Though it looks more like a Dragon Uppercut.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I 1-1'd a guy with Kojima lasers today myself, and won :D

I just got up in his face, and tried to stay around him/outmaneuver him without ever stopping with my punshing solid-rifle shots :) Overpowered weapons be damned, skill conquers all!!!

Spawn733 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kojima beams are so damned easy to dodge it's not even an issue. They carry an incredibly low number of shots and require a very noticeable charge-up period to fire. Even then, the beam's damn slow. I tend to make fun of Kojima users. ;D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are the Moonlight and Kawasawa still in? ;o

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Moonlight is, though it's now a piece of shit compared to the awesomeness that is the (Parrying) Blade. As for the Karasawa, dunno, though all three currently available EN rifles are horribly broken.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LOL LOL PEW PEW DEAD

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After reading the OP...

Damn. Love what they are doing. All I need is a 360 now.

The videos were really cool. The new pace of the game looks awesome.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SHeez, that felt great. I got into a 4 on 4 match in the desert. Half their team was fielding Kojima weaopns and it was like.. those two against me in the end. They could not hit me.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm so jealous now, I have to scrap up $65 and buy this. The Moonlight was awesome in the old games but when they added Parrying Blades/Pikes, I used them more because they didn't take energy. I can make my large misslie bastard again.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If someone has flares, don't spam your missiles and just toss out a random volley or two until they run out of flares. It should work.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't that Sniper Cannon fucking WORTHLESS?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I dunno, the sniper rifles are fairly good from my limited experience using them. I wonder how the back cannons are like.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ...what are parrying blades?

I've only got 3 different blades? How do I know which of them are parrying??

And nice on the 2 on one victory, Otaku :D Down with Kojima weapons!!!

Spawn733 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Man am I disappointed in this game.

Controls are counterintuitive. I had to remap most of the buttons. Who's great idea was it to make right-stick aim and face-button fire?

Why bother making a "dash" button when you pretty much are always dashing while moving? It's just another button I have to hold down all the time.

Flying is a pain in the ass to initiate and control.

The auto-aim is unreliable, not sticky enough, and altogether frustrating. Crackdown does it better, and that's not saying a whole lot.

The missions are meh; I've not tried online yet.

I keep playing the game saying that "maybe I just need to give it another chance" or "maybe if I get used to the controls then it will be fun" or "maybe I just haven't unlocked the weapons/ parts that will make the game fun". These probably aren't the sorts of things associated with a really good game.

Mostly, I just find myself wishing I were playing Chromehounds.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spawn733 wrote: »

Parrying Blades are now just called Blades and I've only gotten one (for beating the simulator tier that has Liver Drive). It has limited use (ammo) and ruins somebody's whole day if you hit them with it.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I *HATE* the shopping interface of this game. You can equip things without buying them. It doesn't even show you the price on the main screen! You have to press a button to bring up a "buy" window. That's just silly. If you forget to bring up the "buy" window and try to exit the shop, you get a window telling you that you don't own the stuff you've put on your mech, and must pay up. If you don't have enough money, there is no escape. You are locked into the shop unless you go back through the shop and put your original shit back together (and it doesn't even tell you what your original shit was!)

Maybe I'm retarded and just can't figure it out, but man alive is that a crazy setup.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lukin wrote: »
    I *HATE* the shopping interface of this game. You can equip things without buying them. It doesn't even show you the price on the main screen! You have to press a button to bring up a "buy" window. That's just silly. If you forget to bring up the "buy" window and try to exit the shop, you get a window telling you that you don't own the stuff you've put on your mech, and must pay up. If you don't have enough money, there is no escape. You are locked into the shop unless you go back through the shop and put your original shit back together (and it doesn't even tell you what your original shit was!)

Maybe I'm retarded and just can't figure it out, but man alive is that a crazy setup.

Yeah im not exactly fond of the shop either. I didn't even know about the little buy window you can bring up to see the cost for the first couple days i had the game.

Grimm on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    this game is amazing. my room-mate and I are powering through it, we've beaten the campaign completely on Normal, cleared all the simulator levels and are clearing it on hard now. I actually really like the missions - they're short but they have almost a puzzle-game like quality to them.

I also lurv them bazooka arms, although I haven't really played online yet so I may change my mind.

QUESTION: I'm still missing parts/FRS memory - do I have to clear stages on S to unlock them? all the unlock able guides tell me no, but it seems to only work if I clear them on S.

I'm not going to play online until I have all the parts/FRS I can get my hands on.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yep. Clearing missions on S in Hard gives you a memory point. End-of-chapter missions and NEXT missions usually give you new parts in Hard.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    smeej wrote: »

Parrying Blades are now just called Blades and I've only gotten one (for beating the simulator tier that has Liver Drive). It has limited use (ammo) and ruins somebody's whole day if you hit them with it.

Hardly anyone uses them online. They're too hard to hit anyone with.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    what was the ac used in the opening movie?

i wouldnt mind throwing down with one of those.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think ive seen oen of those parrying blades, they explode a bit on impact, right??

And the AC in the opening movie is just some Chapter 2 starting parts (including the rifles)...easy to recreate :D Just look closely!

Spawn733 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's interesting. The Parrying blade has a delayed attack from the looks of it. The actual damage seems to happen a second AFTER the explosion. I've noticed this when I was using it online and fired it a bit early.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, on the subject of reviews, AC games always get shitty reviews. They are hard to play - they have a learning curve most people don't want to put into a game, and the one-player missions often have horrible scripting (after 11 games I sort of have this sense now of how to fly a mission, but I'm still not sure I'm shooting the right stuff all the time).

I was REALLY hoping AC4 would incorporate more of Chromehound's good points (where you get hit having specific effects, squad based play, weaponcams), and now I guess I'm hoping for Chromehounds 2. They're really apples and oranges, though, and AC 4 is definately a faithful AC game for nextgen machines.

I wrestled with the shop the way several people have mentioned, but I'm to the point where I LIKE the fact that I can make a mech and save it without having to afford the parts - I've made several 'for later' and several that are better for simulator then missions.

My biggest complaint is that after the tight squadbased gameplay of chromehounds, AC4 feels sort of ZOMG SPASTIC.

I'm also still trying to think of a control scheme that makes more sense to me then the default, but leaves me able to press all the buttons.

Oh - one thing no one has mentioned - there are holsters in your arms for mech-sized holdout pistols. If you run out of ammo in your huge rifles, you can toss them and go all giant metal john woo.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Raise your hand if you HAVEN'T beaten this game yet, because 90+% of the people I play against online have beaten it whereas i am taking my time with it :) Any hands??

Spawn733 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Raise your hand if you HAVEN'T beaten this game yet, because 90+% of the people I play against online have beaten it whereas i am taking my time with it :) Any hands??

Look, I'm not even through chapter two yet. I'm pretty damn early in, since I just got my copy.

Also, I wish there were some downright BETTER parts. Everything available right now seems to be just as crappy as my starters, just focused in a different area.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Closing in on the end of chapter 4 myself.

JohnnyCache: Yeah, those pistols are nice to have when you run out of ammo. Did you know you can also jettison your shoulder weapons after you run out of ammo? At the start of a match the other day, i tried to activate both my back weapons and my shoulder weapons at the same time. When i pressed both shoulder buttons and the B button at the same time, my shoulder mounted weapons fell off. I'm assuming this just gets rid of dead weight and makes you lighter so you can maneuver a little better.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    God. Hitting someone with a blade in this game is nearly impossible.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    God. Hitting someone with a blade in this game is nearly impossible.

I have no problems doing it in single player. Never tried online though.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've sucker-punched a few people in blades only matches by now with the Blade. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've sucker-punched a few people in blades only matches by now with the Blade. :D

blades only. Not when someone's pew pewing you and quickboosting everywhere.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They were expecting a typical Moonlight lade barrage. Instead, a well-timed Blade kills them in one hit. They go "WTF"

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They were expecting a typical Moonlight lade barrage. Instead, a well-timed Blade kills them in one hit. They go "WTF"
    Moonlight + Blade combos well, actually.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Two blades = shit because you don't have reliable targeting. With the moonlight, you can lock on, close in and quickly fire off the Blade. By the time they close in, the damage will kick in and they'll be DEAD if they're still coming at you.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg