The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Training Day

124

Posts

  • WhiskersmgooWhiskersmgoo Registered User regular
    Katie's prize will be that she's one of the team captains and gets to pick first. It'll be 3 PA staff and 3 strippers on each team. No way it'll be a straight up PA Vs SS.

  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Fwiw, My favourite artists from the show are Katie and Maki. Katie is so lovely and shy, and Maku's figured out how to use a reality show format for humour.

    My favourite artist for their other works is Monica. The only complaint I have about Phuzzy is the lack of merch.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    NotaCylon
  • BdonBdon Registered User regular
    I'm really not getting how anyone could think Lexxy came off arrogant in this episode. She's talking about her weakness not her strength and hoping that she can hide behind others false perception of her abilities. She references Tumblr strips in a "I'm not inept but it isn't what I do" way and not as a bragging point.

    If that's arrogance then I guess almost everyone I know (myself included) are rocking Apollo Creed levels on the ego scale...

    YllanesHanClintoAzaminoFalxCambiataKathleen_LRR
  • Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Where was Katie's patented finger point celebration? WHERE?!

    BdonsketchityAzaminoSpman2099NotaCylon
  • kscullykscully Registered User regular
    I hope Monica is trying to evade her inevitable nomination by posing as Tavis, throwing the dogs off the scent.

  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    I assumed from the first time I saw a pic of her when they posted bios that she was half-Asian, but then I know a lot of half-Asians. I'm curious, those of you who are surprised, did you think she was just white?
    I am the same, know a good number of people that are either half or even a quarter asian, so to me it was pretty obvious. Guess I am just used to it :)

    And Lexxy didn't come off as cocky or whatever to me. Just confident really. I think some things are just "lost in translation" if you will. I didn't think Lexxy meant "oh some of my comics went viral because I am so awesome" but more a "well some comics went viral so I must be doing something right I guess". Then again I don't get the hate some people show. Disagreeing? Sure. But there is some hate out there. Usually when I disagree with a strip searcher I try to make it clear that I like that person (because I really do like all of them so far) and that it is just this simple thing that I disagree with. And try to explain why in a normal manner. I hope that came through in my posts lol.

    Spman2099
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    There is always going to be someone pegged as a "villain" in reality shows. It makes the shows more fun to watch and to have someone to root against. First it was Amy, then when she left it kinda fell to Lexxy. If/when she gets eliminated, it'll be someone else. It's just how it goes. Hopefully the show "villain" has tough skin.

    Time to get Maki a white cat to gently stroke as he maniacally giggles.

  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    seegru wrote: »
    There is always going to be someone pegged as a "villain" in reality shows. It makes the shows more fun to watch and to have someone to root against. First it was Amy, then when she left it kinda fell to Lexxy. If/when she gets eliminated, it'll be someone else. It's just how it goes. Hopefully the show "villain" has tough skin.

    Time to get Maki a white cat to gently stroke as he maniacally giggles.

    Let me relay something that Lexxy posted:
    Lexxy wrote:
    I think you can root for your favorites without having to harsh on the other competitors, but maybe that's just me. There's something very disheartening about hearing the phrase, "I want so-n-so to lose."

    edit: and I'm not talking about abstaining from general criticism or discussion, or even building a case for contestant A vs contestant B, there's just something really unnecessarily negative about actively wishing for someone's failure

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    BuchoSpman2099Falx
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, every time I come in here and read another post like "I can't stand whomever", I judge the person who said it way, way more than I am influenced against whomever they are ranting about.

    All the artists come across (to me) as incredibly positive, upbeat, caring people - the kind of qualities you'd look for in a friend.

    Folks that come in here and diss on 'em? Well, based solely on what I know of them, I'd probably make an excuse to leave the room.

    TomantaBuchoAnana11Spman2099ahdokMKF36Edejavu,again
  • chasabchasab Registered User regular
    @trunkers I think my dislike for Lexxy is she is turning out to be more like how she was during the twitter challenge(which ultimately led to her first elimination) where shes just very stubborn, and despite not being as good as she thinks, still continues to act like shes the best. Tavis seems to be the best all around, Maki seems like a nice guy but out of place, Abby is the awkward glass 3/8ths empty , monica is that person you gotta watch out for and Katie consistently good. but lexxy she just seems annoying. but again thats just because i see what they want me to see, I dont know her at all in real life so maybe its just bad editing.

  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    seegru wrote: »
    There is always going to be someone pegged as a "villain" in reality shows. It makes the shows more fun to watch and to have someone to root against. First it was Amy, then when she left it kinda fell to Lexxy. If/when she gets eliminated, it'll be someone else. It's just how it goes. Hopefully the show "villain" has tough skin.

    Time to get Maki a white cat to gently stroke as he maniacally giggles.

    This makes sense as a general rule, but in this case I don't think it would work that way. If Lexxy gets popped in the next elimination, who would wind up pegged as even a slightly off-white hat, much less the villain?

    -Monica and Katie are literally impossible to envision in this way. I try to look at them as black hats and all I see is parody versions of themselves.
    -Abby is a chop-busting sass hero now.
    -Maki is the Pineapple God.
    -Tavis...

    Maybe Tavis, if only by default. But unless something changes, we don't really see anything like that from him. It's not like he has some mildly villainous characteristics that are only being ignored because some people are losing their shit over Lexxy.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch Abby call Mike's butt a sassmouth one more time.

    seegru
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    My only dislike for Lexxy is that I'm still waiting for Cloud Factory :p

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    Spman2099
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I will say that I don't think the "well it's a reality show so people will always find villains" argument holds water

    Because the dynamic between the contestants is COMPLETELY different! Nobody's actually not here to make friends, everyone gets along

    hell, the "schemer" of the group didn't actually do much scheming from a metagame standpoint and stopped after a whole 2 days

    there's no animosity to draw off of

    25Mj5br.png
    BuchonavinieaSpman2099miaAusa
  • sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    "...but I dont know her at all in real life so maybe its just bad editing."

    the new way to wrap it all up after ripping someone a new one.

    DancingCasey
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    Good episode. Again, a little surprising that not a single one knew how to play, but it looked like they all gave it their best try.

    PA-Signature.gif
  • TeeSeaJayTeeSeaJay Registered User regular
    Guys, Monica holds her paddle that way because Khoo was training her, and that's how he was holding it. Or am I missing something?

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    TeeSeaJay wrote: »
    Guys, Monica holds her paddle that way because Khoo was training her, and that's how he was holding it. Or am I missing something?

    Yes, there's not enough conjecture in this post good sir. :|

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    Cambiata
  • DerpadoodooDerpadoodoo Registered User regular
    Even in ping-pong, Lexxy finds a way to come off as pompous. Maybe she wouldn't irritate me so much if she hadn't already lost AND got to skip an entire elimination round.

  • KaemonKaemon Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, sorry for ranting here, but I'm just getting something off my chest about how much people are reading into this.

    I'm dismayed that if a contestant shows confidence some people label them as "unlikeable." All the Artists have been pretty open about what they think are their strengths and weaknesses. Strip Search does not have "bad guys" and "good guys" it has people. People that READ THESE COMMENTS.

    Seriously, even if I didn't like some of the Artists I would never specify. None of them are bad or have terrible personalities. Art that I don't care for? Yeah. Senses of humor that don't click with me? Yep... But they're all great likable people.

    Plus even I initially disliked Abby, but after watching this from the start that's no longer the case since you get to know these people kind of.

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Even in ping-pong, Lexxy finds a way to come off as pompous. Maybe she wouldn't irritate me so much if she hadn't already lost AND got to skip an entire elimination round.

    I think that at this point if you're going to like/dislike Lexxy (or other contestants) you'll just interpret what they say/do in a negative way, but for the sake of argument it's a bit of a stretch to say she was pompous here.

    As for her skipping an elimination round you're assuming that she would have a) not won immunity after returning a winner and b) would have been picked again after winning the previous elimination round. Neither of those events can be said to occur with certainty. You can't change the past, especially being that you have absolutely no control over the show's events. Even then, this show isn't really a competition in the sense that the majority of reality shows are, so you're just agitating yourself by thinking of it like one. Enjoy the ride... or don't. :P

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    navinieaSpman2099JermsBuchoCambiataT-bolt
  • Phyrexian EditorPhyrexian Editor Registered User regular
    I find myself skipping every non-elimination episode. For a reality show about cartooning, there is almost no cartooning. Ridiculous. I want to see these people draw. I don't care how good they are at Twittering, going to conventions, playing ping-pong or driving go-carts. I can do all those things if I want to. I cannot draw. I want to see DRAWING.

  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Ultimately, I think the problem is that the audience isn't capable of maintaining the same level of discourse as the contestants. It appears to me that some people are still stuck in a frame of mind that demands an antagonist. This is coming from a person that was far too critical of Amy initially. I know how it is because I fell into the same trap. It is a little hard to adjust to how intimate this competition is; these aren't gladiators fighting to the death, it is a friendly competition between peers. Vitriol is simply out of place.

    BuchoJermsCambiata
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Sorry, but Lexxy is as believable a villain as my grandma was when she claimed that she was the one who burned the town pub to the ground. She'd need to exhibit a kitten-punching level of evil before I'd buy it. ;)

    NotaCylonCambiata
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's also been consistently demonstrated in psych studies that success and assertiveness correlate positively with percieved likeability in males and negatively with likeability in females. So people hatin' on Lexxy are just conforming to the destructive sociological norms of our society.

    Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    LavidiusBoardGameBodhisattvaSpiffy McBangSpman2099ImperfectCambiata
  • LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
    Oh shit...they're all dead next episode...lol

    NotaCylon
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    It's also been consistently demonstrated in psych studies that success and assertiveness correlate positively with percieved likeability in males and negatively with likeability in females. So people hatin' on Lexxy are just conforming to the destructive sociological norms of our society.

    Sadly, I think this is largely true. Once I noticed myself reacting with that instant negativity towards certain comments Lexxy makes, I specifically asked myself, would I feel this way if it was Tavis or Maki? And truth is, I would. I absolutely would. That shit would raise my neck hairs regardless of who said it. But I don't doubt for a second that the effect is stronger in some people because she's a woman, and that's unfortunate. Women absolutely have to be more careful about how they display their confidence in order to not get a backlash, which is stupid. That's part of why I hope anyone who feels negatively towards Lexxy asks themselves why that is, so they can see if there's something which genuinely bothers them or if it's just a reaction without a real rationale.

  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I find myself skipping every non-elimination episode. For a reality show about cartooning, there is almost no cartooning. Ridiculous. I want to see these people draw. I don't care how good they are at Twittering, going to conventions, playing ping-pong or driving go-carts. I can do all those things if I want to. I cannot draw. I want to see DRAWING.

    Wow, you're missing so much.

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    ElbasunuAzaminopsychopezCambiataWeedLordVegetanhainesTofystedeth
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I think it's time to drop this subject. There's really no more room for discussion of any kind once we've reached the "You're only saying that because she's female" stage.

    tastydonuts
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm surprised Khoo doesn't use a paddle like this: http://www.gotabletennis.com/Butterfly_Senkoh_1_Japanese_Style_p/20360.htm
    Kaemon wrote: »
    Hey everyone, sorry for ranting here, but I'm just getting something off my chest about how much people are reading into this.

    I'm dismayed that if a contestant shows confidence some people label them as "unlikeable." All the Artists have been pretty open about what they think are their strengths and weaknesses. Strip Search does not have "bad guys" and "good guys" it has people. People that READ THESE COMMENTS.

    Seriously, even if I didn't like some of the Artists I would never specify. None of them are bad or have terrible personalities. Art that I don't care for? Yeah. Senses of humor that don't click with me? Yep... But they're all great likable people.

    Plus even I initially disliked Abby, but after watching this from the start that's no longer the case since you get to know these people kind of.

    I wasn't a big fan of Abby at first either, but I think that was just because she hadn't come out of her shell yet. Once I read her comic, I realized that we needed to become bros.

    astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I'm sad half of them are gone, it's weird how much of Strip Search has gone by, I still don't think I can deal with Monica ever going into elimation, so much more to be seen

    NotaCylon
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Khoo doesn't use a paddle like this: http://www.gotabletennis.com/Butterfly_Senkoh_1_Japanese_Style_p/20360.htm

    Did you know Japanese paddles can cut right through inferior western paddles?

    Tofystedethdarleysam
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    I feel like they totally missed an opportunity by not having cheesy 80's inspirational music for the tournament.

    Maybe next episode, with a montage showing cotton-wristbands, slow-motion slamshots, close-ups of sweaty faces, someone landing a head-shot on the Khoo, and all with this song playing in the background.

    Well done Katie by the way

    Spman2099
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    I think it's time to drop this subject. There's really no more room for discussion of any kind once we've reached the "You're only saying that because she's female" stage.

    Wow, what a dismissive, transgressive attitude. Personally I'd say the reactions to Lexxy are obviously gendered. I'd say the same thing about the early reactions to Amy, who collected way more than her fair share of scorn, not just for scheming but for virtually everything she did and said. People LOVED to hate her. One critic even admitted he felt an unfair bias against Amy because of lingering high school resentment from being "unpopular," coupled with a perception of Amy as the most conventionally attractive contestant. At the same time, tons of people were piling on to critique her appearance and demeanor! (Her eyelids are too droopy! She needs to smile more! She's not PEPPY enough!) No offense to Mac because he seems like an awesome guy and an awesome artist, but he's not the most animated person out there -- do you think anyone made a peep about his lack of smiles?

    I shouldn't be surprised; I don't know Penny Arcade's demographics exactly but I think it's safe to bet the bulk are young, white and male.

    Lamp on
    Cambiatanhaines
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    I think it's time to drop this subject. There's really no more room for discussion of any kind once we've reached the "You're only saying that because she's female" stage.

    Wow, what a dismissive, transgressive attitude. Personally I'd say the reactions to Lexxy are obviously gendered. I'd say the same thing about the early reactions to Amy, who collected way more than her fair share of scorn, not just for scheming but for virtually everything she did and said. People LOVED to hate her. One critic even admitted he felt an unfair bias against Amy because of lingering high school resentment from being "unpopular," coupled with a perception of Amy as the most conventionally attractive contestant. At the same time, tons of people were piling on to critique her appearance and demeanor! (Her eyelids are too droopy! She needs to smile more! She's not PEPPY enough!) No offense to Mac because he seems like an awesome guy and an awesome artist, but he's not the most animated person out there -- do you think anyone made a peep about his lack of smiles?

    I shouldn't be surprised; I don't know Penny Arcade's demographics exactly but I think it's safe to bet the bulk are young, white and male.

    Since I wouldn't call the snowballing of accusations, assumptions and other stuff that happens when threads go into that territory a "discussion", I think he's right... let's not go there. :|

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    I shouldn't be surprised; I don't know Penny Arcade's demographics exactly but I think it's safe to bet the bulk are young, white and male.
    Oh dear.

    I think it really *is* time to drop this subject.

    zerzhulElbasunu
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we've already ripped off quite enough band-aids this episode without getting into a gender argument.

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Every single person on strip search is a member of this forum. I will not tolerate personal attacks on members of this forum unless they are being performed by me and are very funny.

    ahdokaheeremamakitoriWeedLordVegetaBuchoJermsSpman2099emarecksaykaynhainesTofystedethtynic
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    Jerms wrote: »
    Lamp wrote: »
    I shouldn't be surprised; I don't know Penny Arcade's demographics exactly but I think it's safe to bet the bulk are young, white and male.
    Oh dear.

    I think it really *is* time to drop this subject.

    No worries. I expect about the same level of intelligent discourse about these subjects on here as I would in a Reddit thread.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    That's enough now.

  • DemonicoreoDemonicoreo Registered User regular
    Man there is epic levels of hypocrisy going on here but that seems to be every thread. Everyone has the right to flat out say they don't like someone and why. That is one of the very bedrocks Penny Arcade is founded on. Team favortism is rampant no matter how netural someone thinks they are and you know what, that is perfectly fine. Own up to that shit because that is a basis for Penny Arcade. You plant your flag proudly and you shout your teams chant like a barbaric bard inspiring the very mountains to your cause. I am not a Lexxy fan, was not one in the interviews and have yet to hear the other artist talk about themselves the way she speaks of herself. Hell during the hiring episode Khoo told her that they were worried about her need for the spot light and the one person they had to fire had that issue. You see it as confidence then cool. Rabbit Troop forever!

    Fuck it. The vocal Lexxy fanatics are fucking pants on head retarded.
Sign In or Register to comment.