As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion: Shivering Isles-Released

ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
THE SHIVERING ISLES EXPANSION

The domain of the insane Daedric Prince, Sheogorath, the Shivering Isles are a realm of insanity and fear.
The Isles are threatened by a rare event referred to as the "Grey March", which would result in the Isles' obliteration at the behest of Sheogorath.

Features

-Additional 30-40 hrs of gameplay

-New summoning spells, including the Golden Saint from Morrowind and the Dark Seducer

-32 unique ingredients to the expansion

- 10 new creatures

-200 new weapons

-80 pieces of armor

-Crafting components (similar to the ice armor production in Bloodmoon), with individual armor for each halve of the Isles

-Two vying factions-Mania and Dementia. Depending on your interactions with their Daedra (the aforementioned Dark Seducers and Golden Saints), you receive varying summoner spells and a dukedom in either domain.

Miscellaneous Media

Screenshots:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/874/874118/imgs_1.html

http://elderscrolls.com/art/si_screenshots_01.htm

Videos:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/874/874118/vids_1.html

Recommended Downloads

Oblivion Patches:
http://elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/file/;61449

RachelSig.jpg
Ergandar on

• Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I won't be getting this, but my uncle wants it for his 360.

I don't have the game, but I just checked xbl and it doesn't look like it's available. Any clarification for 360-land?

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OP needs work. It hardly even mentions that this is for Oblivion. And I'd seriously doubt if OOO is compatible with it upon release.

937898_20070118_screen003.jpg

Shivering Isles is the first full expansion pack for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It's not like Knights of the Nine or other downloadable content packs, which offer only a handful of quests and new items.

937897_20070216_screen003.jpg

One of the most exciting aspects of this expansion, for Morrowind fans, is the alien landscape. If you preferred vocanic islands and mushroom forests to generic green woodlands and gray stone castles, this expansion will suit you nicely.

937897_20070201_screen002.jpg

The plot revolves around going to Sheogorath's realm of Oblivion to set things straight, sort of like what you did with Mehrunes Dagon's realm in the Oblivion main quest. But instead of being the Daedric Prince of Destruction, Sheogorath happens to be the Daedric Prince of Madness.

Wackiness is sure to ensue.
    In the February edition of OXM, it is stated that the Realm of Madness is considerably different in both look and feel than anything in the land of Cyrodiil. In the issue, lead designer Mark Nelson stated that the reason for the drastic change in theme was because "People want to explore a new realm. Besides if you've played Oblivion for 200 hours, you've gotta be sick of gray stone castles." The new expansion pack has been estimated to have an additional 30-40 hours of gameplay available to players, and the Realm of Madness is said to be 25% of the size of Cyrodiil in OXM. Also in OXM it is stated that there are 32 unique ingredients to the expansion, 10 new creatures, 9,500 new lines of dialogue, 200 new weapons and 80 pieces of armor. To get into the realm a gigantic guardian must be defeated. Once defeated, the player can construct a new one to replace the one he or she defeated. The new enemies include a skeleton that is fully destructible (each piece being a separate object with its own physics applied), a large bug-like insect with a glowing green rear, and a tree-like humanoid. The Dark Seducers and Golden Saints are returning from previous installments in the series as the protectors of Dementia and Mania, respectively. There are new spells that include the ability to summon Sheogorath's personal servant, Haskill. Using materials found on the Isles, new types of armor can be forged. The player can also choose to side with either the Golden Saints or the Dark Seducers and become the duke of either Mania or Dementia at the end of the main quest. The expansion has been confirmed to not contain any new music or any new playable races.

You can buy the expansion for the PC online or in stores for 30 bucks. 360 players can download it off Live for 2400 points.

I was under the impression that this came out today, but it looks like it's actually coming tomorrow (Tuesday the 27th).

Reviews:
    This month's issue of Game Informer gave it a 9.5/10

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, it isn't out yet.

Dick.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How's the release tomorrow going to work, since XBL will be down? :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    my roommate will beat the living shit out of this i'm sure. he's responsible for all the points from oblivion on my account, mastering all of the different factions and only beating one story point. i don't get it, but whatever.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OOO might work, actually, since it only touches the level lists for mainland Cyrodiil. It might completely ignore a n actual new territory.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's been released.

All Games-->Oblivion

EDIT: To clear things up, I meant go to Oblivion from the 'All Games' catagory on XBL Marketplace, sorry for the confusion.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    It's been released.

All Games->Oblivion

I wouldn't recommend opening that can of worms.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It has been released for the 360 via Live, the PC release is tomorrow.

I also assumed if you are familiar with Shivering Isles, you'd be aware it is the most recent Elder Scrolls expansion.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2400 points.

Downloading now.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    30-40 hours of gameplay = 10-15 hours to beat once.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    10-15 for the primary quest, yet apparently there are a slew of misc quests in the wild.

Also-Golden Saint summons

In Morrowind I would spam dozens of the creatures and laugh as I massacred Balmora.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So will this include all the previous DLC's or am I going to have to pick up Knights of the Nine for that? Speaking of which, is that easy to find in stores?

Food on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Food wrote: »
    So will this include all the previous DLC's or am I going to have to pick up Knights of the Nine for that? Speaking of which, is that easy to find in stores?

No, Knights of the Nine isn't included. Yes, it's pretty easy to find.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well then I'm going to have to make a few purchases this weekend. God of War 2's out now also, isn't it? Goodbye money.

Food on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can I buy this online for the PC?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Can I buy this online for the PC?

Tomorrow, if I'm not mistaken.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But where can I buy it online? Obliviondownloads.com?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    937898_20070118_screen003.jpg
    Holy crap! That looks like something right out of Morrowind. This makes me happy.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How big's the file?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Xbox version is 993.75 MB.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    No werewolves :(

Tube on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To clairfy: It's out earlier because tomorrow Xbox Live is down for 14 hours maintainence. It was promised that it'd be online when the servers came back up, but MS and Bethesda pushed to get the content up BEFORE the downtime so that people could play this offline title during the downtime

So, basically, Xbox Users - if you're getting it, do so before midnight PST.

PC Users: You get it tomorrow.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    no new races/classes? :| I'll still buy it and enjoy it...but man i woulda liked some more character options

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    spoiler is from video
    Well you get to meet and aparently fight Sheogorath. So it wont be a let down

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *sigh* people be all raping their intellectual property

there should be literally no way to win that

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    like the king of worms. a fight with the king of worms should go

The king of worms appears
    reload last save game y/n

Tube on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    How does the expansion mesh with the main game? Do you need to finish the Oblivion quest to be eligible to start the Shivering Isles quest?

I've not purchased any of the DLC, and I've only ever played one character (an almost-paladin) and I thought about grabbing a bunch of DLC and starting a mage but I'm worried I'll never find the DLC content if I get it all at once. Or, at least, I'll have no idea what was DLC content.

I'm also thinking of holding out for the inevitable GOTY edition with all the DLC bundled in as I'd really rather have a disc.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    no new races/classes? :| I'll still buy it and enjoy it...but man i woulda liked some more character options

Why would you want new classes? In almost any other game it would make sense, but in Oblivion you can make any class you want...

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *sigh* people be all raping their intellectual property

there should be literally no way to win that

Probably similar to how they handled it in Oblivion

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    RELEASE IT ON A 360 DISC GODDAMNIT

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    How does the expansion mesh with the main game? Do you need to finish the Oblivion quest to be eligible to start the Shivering Isles quest?

I've not purchased any of the DLC, and I've only ever played one character (an almost-paladin) and I thought about grabbing a bunch of DLC and starting a mage but I'm worried I'll never find the DLC content if I get it all at once. Or, at least, I'll have no idea what was DLC content.

I'm also thinking of holding out for the inevitable GOTY edition with all the DLC bundled in as I'd really rather have a disc.

I'm confused by your questions... you mean you're afraid you wouldn't find the new stuff in the game?
    Don't worry. You get a quest for each DLC right away. There's no way you could miss any of them.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    How does the expansion mesh with the main game?

There's a portal to the new world just south of one of the towns in Oblivion. You can come and go as you please, as I understand.

hambone on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How powerful does my character have to be? I assume my poorly-designed mage who beat the MQ will be able to start the expansion; what about my lower-level fighters?

I am so psyched for Oblivion with landscape that isn't Merrye Olde England.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hooray. I'm going to download this right now.

...I really should finish the main quest, though. My character is essentially invincible, so I could probably do it in a couple of hours.

Graviija on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No. You can start SI regardless of what you've done in Oblivion. As far as I know, you install the expansion, load up a game or start a new game, wait two game days and you'll hear about a portal opening up on a strange island.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    like the king of worms. a fight with the king of worms should go

The king of worms appears
    reload last save game y/n
    Yeah, that was a huge disappointment.
    I even waited around a while after I offed him, half-expecting him to resurrect as...something besides a puny High Elf with some big spells. The Mages Guild in general was a bit of a letdown, really.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish there was a way to have a no psychic guards mod on the 360.

):

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    How powerful does my character have to be?

Well, if it scales like the main game, chances are you can beat it at level 1, just like the Arena. ;-)

hambone on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Really, I'm looking forward to the mods that people will make with this content more than anything. I can already see people doing some Morrowind-style landscapes with some of that foliage.

Kreutz on