As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, what's your game budget this year?

124»

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    Er, can you say that lewiep? Cheers though man!

Though Tycho did mention that he soft modded his xbox too. I am going to love my Linux Media Center. Woo hoo!

£200 iTV vs £50 Xbox plus some work - you decide....

I think its allowed...I mean, in principal soft modding is perfectly legal, its only the way that it has been made possible that is illegal (the fact that unlicesnced devkits were used iirc)

LewieP on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I try not to track what i'm buying... but so far this year its been

55 Tiger Woods 07 360
    55 Crackdown 360

30 Puzzle Quest DS

10 Star Wars Episode III GBA
    30 TMNT GBA

just 180 with those... there has to be more hrmm well, i guess like i said earlier

Gears of war
    Viva Pinata
    Project Gotham 3
    Ninety Nine Nights
    Halo 2

for 30 bucks total.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Basically my budget is whatever I can get. I mainly get JRPG's/SRPG's/Harvest Moon(and Driviatives ala River King) so whatever is released this year I will get. I also check old games that I haven't gotten for the PS2/PS1/GameCube in the same field as the new ones. Only rarely do I get anything other than those three types unless they are on sale and cheap, ala Rumble Roses for $18.99 or are something I would want to play, ala Anime Shooters or any such Anime/Manga games.

Katchem_ash on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i generally get a new game every month. 12 games in one year, $20-50 a pop? Roughly $500-600 aint to bad for an annual budget.

but then again, who said I could afford even THAT ;-)

Guek on
  • SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, this year so far I already bought a 22" Widescreen LCD for my PC. ($350)

I have no 360 and plan to fix that by buying an Elite when it comes out (that I will hook to the above-mentioned LCD). ($480 + $40 VGA adaptor)

I will also pick up a Wii when I find one. ($250)

I don't budget for games; I only buy a new one when I finish my current one. It's a lot cheaper that way - you don't end up with a stack of unplayed games that you payed full retail for that are now bargain bin titles.

Serule on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i really need to try to adhere to a rule like that serule...

but i get so bored with just one game, i like options.

this is one of the reasons why i love the xbox live arcade though... or best buy selling a really good castelvania game for 9.99.

Zephos on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'll need to do some major editing...I brashly and impulsively just bought a DSlite, NSMB, and PW, after selling some old Xbox and PS2 games. Now too many games are on my "to buy" list!

Darlan on
    edited March 2007
    The DS has quite the list of games that are totally buyable.

Zephos on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    This is kind of like discussing music with someone whose experience is limited to current rock and popular singles that they hear on the radio. You mention how great bands like Led Zepplin and AC/DC were and the person you are conversing with says something like "yeah those guys are good, but I prefer bands like Nickleback and Eminem myself."

At this point you just kind of have to smile, nod your head, and walk away.

What? That's a really retarded analogy. A better one would be trying to discuss computing with someone who thinks the pcs from the seventies are better. No they're not. No matter how good for the time they were, time has moved on.

Back on topic. I don't really have a gaming budget. If something comes out that looks like fun, I'll buy it. I guess the only games I'm set on getting this year are Halo 3 and Resident evil 5.

Leitner on
  • LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    This is kind of like discussing music with someone whose experience is limited to current rock and popular singles that they hear on the radio. You mention how great bands like Led Zepplin and AC/DC were and the person you are conversing with says something like "yeah those guys are good, but I prefer bands like Nickleback and Eminem myself."

At this point you just kind of have to smile, nod your head, and walk away.

What? That's a really retarded analogy. A better one would be trying to discuss computing with someone who thinks the pcs from the seventies are better. No they're not. No matter how good for the time they were, time has moved on.

Back on topic. I don't really have a gaming budget. If something comes out that looks like fun, I'll buy it. I guess the only games I'm set on getting this year are Halo 3 and Resident evil 5.

I agree except the 2D -> 3D transition is not the same thing. I personally think 2D games are a purer, better experience in almost all ways. Which is why new games like NSMB excite me so much.

You cant claim Gears of War is better than Chess just because its more technically advanced.

EDIT: I'm sorry for maintain this discussion - I'm out. Love ya all. Laters.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, but to say that 2D games are always better simply because they're 2D is an extremely blinkered view. I realise that this isn't what you're saying, but you're coming across as if you're writing off all 3D games simply because they're in 3D.

And to play devil's advocate, I'd much rather play GoW than chess - I'm better at Gears, and chess doesn't let you stick a grenade to someone's head.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2007
    you also cant claim chess is better than gears because of its relative simplicity, or its timeless nature.

really, its personal opinion.

so you cant claim anything either way if you dont feel a particular way about something.

Zephos on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    The DS has quite the list of games that are totally buyable.
    And if I'm reading this right, all DS games are $24.99 at Target this week, so everyone should expand their backlogs dramatically now!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • LaveLave regular
    edited March 2007
    Willeth wrote: »
    No, but to say that 2D games are always better simply because they're 2D is an extremely blinkered view. I realise that this isn't what you're saying, but you're coming across as if you're writing off all 3D games simply because they're in 3D.

And to play devil's advocate, I'd much rather play GoW than chess - I'm better at Gears, and chess doesn't let you stick a grenade to someone's head.

I'm totally not. I was only trying to say that comparing 2D to 3D games was like comparing sit-coms to dramas. There is overlap but it's silly to do so.

I love 3D games. Hell Windwaker is my favourite Zelda. Over the 2D ones. Over LttP. If nothing proves it that does.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I try not to spend alot of money on games, and try to reason with myself to finish the games I have before buying a new game (One out/one in kinda rule) but Im a sucker for a good deal or bargain bins. Im a generation behind (XBOX and GBA) and have way too many games for the times I can get to playing them.. yet seem to really want a 360 and GHII, Assassins Creed, Mercs 2 and GTAIV this year. I bought a new TV that was just over $2000 C$, not specifically for games, but you know I'll use it for that too. So all things aside, I would need:

All values in Canadian $

wanted XBOX games: $50
    wanted GBA games: $50
    XBOX 360: elite? $479-$579
    360 accesories: $60
    360 games: around $300
    Live subscription: $90 w/ camera
    XBLA games: $50
    F'n Taxes: $130
    TOTAL
    Around $1300.. Ima gonna have to rethink some things.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't Star Wars: Force Unleashed coming this year? How come I'm the only one that's listed in their budget? Is no one else looking forward to it?

DesertBox on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2d and 3d are both separate, but equal. They are inherently different, but neither is inherently better than the other. OK?! Everybody got it?!

Anyway, my budget just stretched to include a new 22" lcd monitor and dawn of war+expansions, so that's my on topic contribution.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Isn't Star Wars: Force Unleashed coming this year? How come I'm the only one that's listed in their budget? Is no one else looking forward to it?

nope bumped to q1 08

Zephos on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pokemon Pearl was my first game-related purchase of the year, so that's $45 in 3 months? Looks like I'm off to a pretty good start.

Masonite on
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This year will be an expensive year for me considering I won't even be buying a console.

All prices in Beaver dollars.

MLB 2K6 $75
    Guitar Hero 2 + extra guitar $160
    Mass Effect $75
    Halo 3 $75
    GTA IV $75
    Gameaccess subscription $20 per month
    5000 MS points $60

And I'm sure I'll buy another game or two.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm trying to limit myself to one Wii game a month, then anything else that I either really want (such as Spore) or used games that I've been looking for will be bought in addition tot hat.

SirUltimos on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is going to be one of those painful self realization moments isn't it?

-So far this year i've spent-
    Xbox 360 Pro - $400 (damn you M$ for coming out with the elite model 3~ months later)
    Gears of War - $60
    Viva Pinata - $60
    Crackdown - $60
    PGR3 (used) - $15
    Accessories - $150
    XBL gold svc - $50
    5000 MS Points - $60

Total $855.. ouch

-purchases coming later this year-
    Mass Effect - $60
    Bioshock - $60
    GTA IV - $60
    Unreal Tournament 3 - $60
    Halo 3 - $60
    Assassin's Creed - $60
    Half-Life 2: Black/orange what ever - $60~
    Fable 2 - $60 (doubt it'll be release this year)

Sub-Total = $480

Total = $1335 atleast

Hoping to include the following this year. if not next year will be a good year too

Wii - $250
    Accessories - $100~
    Zelda:TP - $50
    Super Mario Galaxy - $50
    Various Game Cube games I never got to play since I never owned one - $100~

Total = $550

This years budget easily tops my 2004 budget when I built a new PC and picked up HL2, Doom3 & WoW.

Sadly i'm probably missing some stuff i'll impulsivly buy..

Atleast I know why i'll be broke in 2007.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
    edited March 2007
    ah fuck, forgot about all the MS points i've bought.

Zephos on
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Let's see, my budget is about... $0 dollars. But I will spend:

$250 for a Wii
    at least $150 on Wii games

not to mention a lot of DS games, and if I can swing it I'd like to get that 360 Elite model.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png