As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arkham Horror] Slimy Shores: Thin Ice

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Faraz wrote: »
    Ack! But she's so OP!

If you don't mind @Faraz, I will nerf her by removing the Ominous Dreams ability. With Inspiring, she's still a top tier investigator. Sounds good?

Sure, I've never tried Innsmouth so if she's OP and removing that ability brings her in line with everyone else I don't mind. Just don't nerf me too much ;)

Hadn't seen her before, but at first read, yeah, that's a colossally good ability set.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Other investigators being able to spend her clue tokens also seems like it would be a pain in the ass for a PbP, so you might want to think about how you're going to deal with that. Maybe include a section when you do upkeep giving an outline of who you expect will need to use tokens and how many you want to offer up?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I did, in fact mean that game. I must have just missed it. I remember reading all the movement notices, I just don't remember ever making the connection between a movement notice and a fresh monster. Although I must admit I never gave the movement notices as much attention as they probably needed because the important part was where the monsters ended up and that was more readily displayed on the map.
    Yep. I did not make any difference between fresh monsters and old ones. I just moved them.

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Other investigators being able to spend her clue tokens also seems like it would be a pain in the ass for a PbP, so you might want to think about how you're going to deal with that. Maybe include a section when you do upkeep giving an outline of who you expect will need to use tokens and how many you want to offer up?

Good point... it's like Mandy's Research except way more fiddly. I think we can manage though, @Faraz probably should declare how many clue tokens he is offering up to be spent by other players at the start of every turn, e.g. "You guys can spend up two of my clue tokens however you like this turn."

mi-go hunter on
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    And a lot of players on the AH boards agree that Patrice is OP, since with both abilities, she can literally be a reservoir of free clue tokens with minimal risk involved. It's pretty silly how the game designers thought putting in two extremely powerful abilities on one investigator would be balanced. But eeeh.

I suspect it was only really considered within the context of the Deep One Rising vs. Feds tracker. If you're spending a lot of clue tokens in diverse places to keep the AO sleeping then it's a really helpful ability, tempered by the fact that you're burning all the clue tokens she generates just dealing with Deep Ones. Of course, I have no idea how often the track rises, so I don't know how many tokens you actually do end up burning. It's possible that the devs only really considered the overall concept rather than the specific mechanics.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • FarazFaraz Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Good point... it's like Mandy's Research except way more fiddly. I think we can manage though, @Faraz probably should declare how many clue tokens he is offering up to be spent by other players at the start of every turn, e.g. "You guys can spend up two of my clue tokens however you like this turn."

I could do that. I am also not really attached to her and would not be opposed to just picking another character if that makes things go more smoothly. Let me know and I can post another one.

Edit: Equally as interesting in trying out Tommy Muldoon. I'll switch to him if there's no objections:
    pic494762_md.jpg

Sanity: 6/6
    Stamina: 4/4

SPEED/SNEAK: 3/1
    FIGHT/WILL: 3/3
    LORE/LUCK: 1/5

CURRENT LOCATION: Police Station

MONEY: $2

CLUE TOKENS: 2

INVENTORY: Map of Arkham, Rifle

SPELLS:

SKILL:

SPECIAL:

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES:

GATE TROPHIES:

PsTommyMuldoonFront.pngPsTommyMuldoonPassed.pngPsTommyMuldoonFailed.png

Faraz on
    edited May 2013
    Faraz wrote: »

I could do that. I am also not really attached to her and would not be opposed to just picking another character if that makes things go more smoothly. Let me know and I can post another one.

Edit: Equally as interesting in trying out Tommy Muldoon. I'll switch to him if there's no objections:
    pic494762_md.jpg

Sanity: 6/6
    Stamina: 4/4

LORE/LUCK: 1/5

CURRENT LOCATION: Police Station

MONEY: $2

CLUE TOKENS: 2

INVENTORY: Map of Arkham, Rifle

SPELLS:

SKILL:

SPECIAL:

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES:

GATE TROPHIES:

PsTommyMuldoonFront.pngPsTommyMuldoonPassed.pngPsTommyMuldoonFailed.png

You want to switch to Tommy? Sure, no problem. ^^

mi-go hunter on
    edited May 2013
    The Ancient One is.....
    Zhar.jpg

The herald for this game is....
    pic402127_lg.jpg

The guardian for this game is...
    Nodens.png

mi-go hunter on
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Great.
    :(

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Honestly, between Nodens and Finn and Tommy's abilities, you guys may be in about as good shape monsters-wise as you could ask for.

Shame about the King in Yellow.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm afraid of Zhar.
    Twins should only come in hot, blond sets, not tentacley thingees.

This should be interesting. We've got a number of Monster Hunters to keep the beasties in line, which is nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how all the new mechanics play out.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Good luck investigators, may the night gaunts guide you home.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited May 2013
    Alright, here comes the items!

@Psycholarry1 receives .18 Derringer, Holy Water, Wither Spell, and the Bravery skill.

@Chrysis receives Holy Water, the Necronomicon, and the Stealth skill.

@Daemonis receives Motorcycle, Enchanted Blade, Shrivelling Spell, and the Luck skill.

@Faraz receives Tommy Gun, Bullwhip, the Book of Dzyan, and the Expert Occultist skill.

@stever777 receives .45 Automatic, Map of Arkham, an Elder Sign, Nameless Cults, and the Speed and Lore skills.

@Tayrun receives the Stealth skill and must decide whether to draw from the bottom or top of the Common and Unique item decks.

Bottom of Common: Research Materials
    Bottom of Unique: Ruby of R'lyeh

mi-go hunter on
    edited May 2013
    You may set (or revise) your skill sliders at this time, if you have not done so already.

mi-go hunter on
    Damn, those were definitely not my first choices. Or second for that matter. Who wants the book? Zoey doesn't have the Sanity for spells.

Setting Sliders:
    Speed/Sneak to 4/1
    Fight/Will to 2/3
    Lore/Luck to 2/4

edited May 2013
    Ouch that's one useless skill for someone who's much better at shooting things in the face. Same with the book of Dzyan. Unless people think that with that combo it's worth it to pump my Lore/Luck to 3/3 can grab a few spells.

Also I don't need both a rifle and a Tommy gun. Anyone want either the Rifle or the book?

Here's my current adjustments:

LORE/LUCK: 2/4

Faraz on
    edited May 2013
    I'll take the Rifle if it's going spare, it'll do better than the dinky knife.

EDIT: Scratch that, Tayrun can take the rifle. I've at least got a dinky knife.

Chrysis on
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    I'd like that rifle, and to keep both items from the bottom of the decks please.

Speed 2 (+3) / Sneak 4 (+Stealth)
    Fight 4 / Will 3
    Lore 2 / Luck 1

edited May 2013
    Finn Edwards

CURRENT LOCATION: Bank of Arkham

FinnEdwards.png
    Sanity: 4/4
    Stamina: 6/6

SPEED/SNEAK: 5/3
    FIGHT/WILL: 2/1
    LORE/LUCK: 2/3

MONEY: $8

CLUE TOKENS: 0

INVENTORY:

.45 Auto: Type: Physical weapon
    Bonus: +4 Combat check

Map of Arkahm: Movement phase: Exhaust to get 1 extra movement point.

Whiskey: Discard to reduce any Sanity loss by 1.

Elder Sign: Any Phase: When sealing a gate, lose 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity and return this card to the box. You do not need to make a skill check or spend any Clue tokens to seal the gate. In addition, remove one doom token from the Ancient One's doom track.

Nameless Cults: Movement: Exhaust and spend 1 movement point to make a Lore (-1) check. If you pass, draw 1 Spell, lose 1 Sanity, and discard Nameless Cults. If you fail, nothing happens.
    BankLoan.png

SPELLS:

SKILL:
    Speed.pngLore.png

SPECIAL:

ALLIES:

MONSTER TROPHIES:

GATE TROPHIES:

PsFinnEdwardsFront.pngPsFinnEdwardsPassed.pngPsFinnEdwardsFailed.png

stever777 on

@Daemonis I assume you'll want the books actually, you get the most out of them. Especially the Necronomicon. Want to meet up somewhere?

• PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    Speed/Sneak: 3/1
    Fight/Will: 2/2
    Lore/Luck: 3/4

Speed/Sneak: 4/1
    Fight/Will: 2/3
    Lore/Luck: 5/1

Books! I like books! Give them to me!

@Daemonis Absent any other information then, where do you want to meet up so you can take this book off my hands? I think I can make it to the University locations from here at the Train Station.

Probably, I'll drive north to get books from the cop and bootleger. We could meet there.

We going to start up the Arkham book club? I guess all the people with books are in roughly the same area so everyone meeting up for a swap meet could be a good way to start the game.

"So, what did you take away from this book?"
    ***Sips coffee.***

stever777 wrote: »
    "So, what did you take away from this book?"
    ***Sips coffee.***

"Tentacles. And a vague reference to an obscene and ancient deity."

"Interesting. Please go with that."

Let's not delay shall we?

MYTHOS PHASE:

The rain drenched the city, the heaviest downpour recorded in Arkham to date. Citizens rushed indoors, while sinister beings emerged from abandoned establishments to prowl the streets.

Mythos44.png

A gate to the City of the Great Race (Triangle, +0) opens in Hibb's Roadhouse!

A Ghost appears in Hibb's Roadhouse, and a Deep One Hybrid shambles into Easttown Streets.

Zhar remains dormant.

@mi-go hunter You've put Finn in the wrong place, he should be at the bank not the loony bin.

I'm tempted to get started on cleaning house and go stab that Hybrid, but I can't remember his stats and am blocked from checking. I have a gut feeling that he's a little bit too tough for a single knife.

edited May 2013
    @mi-go hunter You've put Finn in the wrong place, he should be at the bank not the loony bin.

I'm tempted to get started on cleaning house and go stab that Hybrid, but I can't remember his stats and am blocked from checking. I have a gut feeling that he's a little bit too tough for a single knife.

Thanks for pointing that out :)

@stever777, close your eyes and pretend you are in the Bank of Arkham rather than the asylum.

mi-go hunter on
    Faraz, if you going to fight this hybrid, I'll wait and then drive to you to get your book.

edited May 2013
    Actually, looks like my memory was mistaken and a Hybrid is piss easy to shiv, so I'm gonna do that.

Move to East Town Streets, get ready to shank the unclean abomination.

I wonder if this will work.
    Geth roll 3d6t5 for Terror Check
    Geth roll 3d6t5 for Stabbing Hybrid

EDIT: Damnit Geth, I need 5's. I'll eat the sanity loss, but we'll roll one clue for the combat check which fails, and a follow-up also fails.

Damnit, this was supposed to be easy.

Take the two Stamina damage, try again. Finally.

I need to get a better pointy thing.

Terror Check:
    3d6t5 0 [3d6t5=3, 3, 3]
    Stabbing Hybrid:
    3d6t5 0 [3d6t5=4, 4, 3]

Chrysis on
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    No upkeep, I'll use my 4 movement to head over to Faraz at the police station and take that rifle. No movement left so I'll stop there.

Actually, looks like my memory was mistaken and a Hybrid is piss easy to shiv, so I'm gonna do that.

Move to East Town Streets, get ready to shank the unclean abomination.

I wonder if this will work.
    Geth roll 3d6t5 for Terror Check
    Geth roll 3d6t5 for Stabbing Hybrid

EDIT: Damnit Geth, I need 5's. I'll eat the sanity loss, but we'll roll one clue for the combat check which fails, and a follow-up also fails.

Damnit, this was supposed to be easy.

Take the two Stamina damage, try again. Finally.

I need to get a better pointy thing.
    Oh, man, what would you do if it was a really scary monster? Like... do not know... kitten

I'll exhaust my Map of Arkham and move to Independence Square to grab the clues.

This also leaves me within range of @Daemonis to get the tome.