As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Time Wars: JUMP 10 - America loses the war (mafia victory)

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Given our steep win condition and low power level, I think we were a little underpowered. We had to kill everyone, but only had 12 temporary kills that were public, so they could be easily guarded. Narrations outed us pretty quickly.

We also could only control the days we jumped to when we had cythraul, and sometimes not even then? It seemed like his power didn't work sometimes

wait cythraul wasn't always mafia?

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Hey, I ended up doing nothing at all all game long, so that worked out for the village at least. As I told Obi already, I am now grudging the RNG he used for giving me a role I couldn't possibly succeed in playing for long without sitting quietly with my fingers crossed coming off the Deadlands phalla. That the game started with me trying to shake off a miserable case of bronchitis that shot a hole in my better judgment due to sleep deprivation and dextromethorphan was also not helpful.

I even gave the SK 3 mafia members' identities as a "sorry getting myself day 1'd," parting gift to Iron Weasel! Good job non-screwup mafia for bringing it home anyway.

I should note that I totally called you giving the SK said identities. And the last person I attempted to seer, but did not manage to get results on, was MrT. One more JUMP with me alive and Spoit would have been nethead and we would have coasted to victory. Ah well, good job mafia...

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Hey, I ended up doing nothing at all all game long, so that worked out for the village at least. As I told Obi already, I am now grudging the RNG he used for giving me a role I couldn't possibly succeed in playing for long without sitting quietly with my fingers crossed coming off the Deadlands phalla. That the game started with me trying to shake off a miserable case of bronchitis that shot a hole in my better judgment due to sleep deprivation and dextromethorphan was also not helpful.

I even gave the SK 3 mafia members' identities as a "sorry getting myself day 1'd," parting gift to Iron Weasel! Good job non-screwup mafia for bringing it home anyway.

I should note that I totally called you giving the SK said identities. And the last person I attempted to seer, but did not manage to get results on, was MrT. One more JUMP with me alive and Spoit would have been nethead and we would have coasted to victory. Ah well, good job mafia...

I wasn't following this closely, though I scanned narrations, but yeah, not surprised. It was the obvious move. Plus I got to tell IW that this mafia was brought to him in part by the letter L, rather than being explicit, which amused me a bit.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Sun Tzu was probably the toughest role. I don't see that role staying alive for very long.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Given our steep win condition and low power level, I think we were a little underpowered. We had to kill everyone, but only had 12 temporary kills that were public, so they could be easily guarded. Narrations outed us pretty quickly.

We also could only control the days we jumped to when we had cythraul, and sometimes not even then? It seemed like his power didn't work sometimes

wait cythraul wasn't always mafia?

He was I meant after he died

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I felt like the entire mafia was invincible. Voting out a mafia didn't seem to help the village at all.

It worked the other way with mafia perma killing specials too.

The timeline story didn't really matter as long as mafia were dead, temp or permanent. It was really only supposed to be used to confirm roles. Village wincon wasn't to make the timeline story a happy ending, it was to jump to a mafia less DAY.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

What the eff

Langly on
  • Options
    I think the narrations were a really powerful way to out the entire mafia. Village had some bad luck that they didn't have the vigs to exploit it.

It was also a powerful way to find specials but I don't think the mafia really figured that out. I certainly didn't until roman came to me last night and tried to get my vote off of him.

@obifett did my last minute change to tzeentch end the game?

yup. That did it

• Options

Time scientists could add or subtract a DAY from the currently selected DAY. There were 4 of those in the village.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    This looked like a really fun game.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Thanks for running this, obi!
    I was completely lost in this one. Temp dying and then the time skips and whatnot made my brain hurt haha

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I'm impressed with the phalla, it was interesting. Although I'm gonna voice that I agree with the killing didn't really seem to do much crowd, but that could just be in ignorance!

Also, I told you all I wasn't mafia! Trv.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I think the narrations were a really powerful way to out the entire mafia. Village had some bad luck that they didn't have the vigs to exploit it.

It was also a powerful way to find specials but I don't think the mafia really figured that out. I certainly didn't until roman came to me last night and tried to get my vote off of him.

yup. That did it

set_contribution=1
    /flip_pistol

Thanks for running obi. I'm glad I came in at the end. I'm sad I had to miss the start.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Although I'm gonna voice that I agree with the killing didn't really seem to do much crowd, but that could just be in ignorance!
    I'm wondering if "removing someone from the anomaly" should have also remove their power from the game. I know I wound up accidentally parking my guard on a bad guy the night I was mafia killed. Seems like that shouldn't have provided them a permanent bonus.

But I had a great time while I was alive. Thanks for running, Obi! Awesome concept.

• Options

yup. That did it

set_contribution=1
    /flip_pistol

Thanks for running obi. I'm glad I came in at the end. I'm sad I had to miss the start.

Yeah, had you been in from the start you would have had a better grasp on the mechanics and made much more informed decisions. As it was, you didn't even understand how voting worked in the game on the last day!

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    urgh. I needed to coordinate the village on jump 9 for us to have a shot, and I had even decided on at least one of the right kills. If we had voted off Assuran, would that have been enough to delay the end of game?

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    getting rid of assuran or MrT would have been enough to push it to one more day. and I think guaranteed a village victory. on my phone and don't have the spreadsheet in front of me.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This was pretty fun to watch.

Time shenanigans are always entertaining.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    I was fucking killing myself trying to find Dr Johnson and just couldn't do it. I think this is the narration that screwed me up.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26872520#Comment_26872520

For some reason cesareB dies day 4 but doesn't appear in the narration above it?

Also how did the mafia get control of the purple kill? That seems like extreme bullshit..

Other than that I thought this was a reasonably fair game and was a lot of fun to play in.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Fun game and thx for running it obifett. Also frustrating when you had to sit out for at least half of it, then low activity the last couple days didn't help.

Looking at the spreadsheet I guess I was always going to die day 5 from Langly's kill unless a guard realized this and guarded me. The time mechanics what they were there was a huge advantage to whoever had more info about kills and kept track of them. A strong early village network would have walked away with it and as it was it was still very close it sounds like to either side winning at the end.

In any other game I felt like I would have had felt much more confirmed after the first vote for a mafia day 1 and leading to the vote for cythraul.

I was also confused about the roles of the other Drs until the very end. MrB hinted that he had guard/time powers when he revealed, leading me to think the other remaining doctors had other more traditional roles(not all seers). Had I known all the Drs had the same role I would have been much more willing to out myself and confirm the 2 vanillagers I managed to seer and get something going out in the open.

Out of curiosity day 0 Obi mentioned to me possibily changing the seer power but didn't want to make changes once the game was underway, what would you have changed?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Whoever was responsible for killing the SK (last person to vote for him if by vote) would have gotten control of his kill.

mafia were kinda stacked to do it with their in with him, but village could have gotten control if they voted him out.

• Options
    oh and Docs dying the day they appear in narration mean they don't show up in narration. military dudes appear because their death was attributed to that day's battle. it was supposed to be different for docs, since they were more important and should be harder to find for the mafia.

• Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Fun game and thx for running it obifett. Also frustrating when you had to sit out for at least half of it, then low activity the last couple days didn't help.

Looking at the spreadsheet I guess I was always going to die day 5 from Langly's kill unless a guard realized this and guarded me. The time mechanics what they were there was a huge advantage to whoever had more info about kills and kept track of them. A strong early village network would have walked away with it and as it was it was still very close it sounds like to either side winning at the end.

In any other game I felt like I would have had felt much more confirmed after the first vote for a mafia day 1 and leading to the vote for cythraul.

I was also confused about the roles of the other Drs until the very end. MrB hinted that he had guard/time powers when he revealed, leading me to think the other remaining doctors had other more traditional roles(not all seers). Had I known all the Drs had the same role I would have been much more willing to out myself and confirm the 2 vanillagers I managed to seer and get something going out in the open.

Out of curiosity day 0 Obi mentioned to me possibily changing the seer power but didn't want to make changes once the game was underway, what would you have changed?

I was going to make it so seers chose a seer target and then as long the current DAY was after their day, they got a result. basically removing a step from your seer process. I thought about it for a sec and came to the conclusion it might be too much and didn't change it.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Mafia boards are unlocked now.

http://fluxcaschmacitor.proboards.com/board/1/general-board

Be warned, it's not very exciting.

• Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    Mafia boards are unlocked now.

http://fluxcaschmacitor.proboards.com/board/1/general-board

Be warned, it's not very exciting.

lack of mafia discussion at the beginning was my fault due to the alt wincons and them not feeling like they could fully trust each other.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I think these were some really creative mechanics, and overall played out well and in a quite fun way. I'm not 100% sure it was balanced, but the post-game talk is convincing me that it was more balanced than I originally thought.

Thanks for running Obi! I'd consider this a resounding success :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Arrrrgh.

I feel bad now because we almost had a village win, and I was minimally in a position to do /something/ that last day.

@Phyphor, what would've happened if you had been alive? I was General Gomez, and therefore had a day-1 guard, and I had it on Jdark, who was a guard that guarded ronrab, I'm pretty sure, and I nearly switched it to you later.

• Options
    Also, of course, Obi, I really enjoyed this game. Thanks for running!

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Did we have a guard that could have blocked the mafia group kill?

Nope.

Each faction had one permanent removal that was unstoppable. Mafia and SK had their kills. Village had the vote. With their being so few permanent kills, I was worried a way to block it would have prolonged the game far too long.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Interesting mechanics in this game! I did enjoy how decisions made one day altered the entire game, with the ability to go back and try it again and see the new outcome. Was curious about whether the missile barrages were something that was player controllable or not. All in all good times! I was wondering if the village was gonna figure out that the RNG gods gave this game more or less the same mafia as last time lol.

Thanks for running Obi! And good job mafia on figuring crap out, while I enjoy these types of mechanics I'm not the best person to figure them out :P

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Oh! And we definitely do -not- use the term Obiphalla in the same way we used Sportzphalla :P

<3

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Nope.

Each faction had one permanent removal that was unstoppable. Mafia and SK had their kills. Village had the vote. With their being so few permanent kills, I was worried a way to block it would have prolonged the game far too long.
    Interesting. 38 players broken up into 8 mafia, 1 sk, and 29 villagers means:

Mafia: 97% village, 3% sk
    SK: 78% village, 22% mafia
    Village: 76% village, 21% mafia, 2% sk

Each night would have resulted in the death of 2.5 villagers, .5 mafia, and .05 sk. 5 villager deaths for every mafia, with the tipping point coming on day 10 with an even split of mafia/sk and village. One more cycle resulting in a mafia victory with ~3 mafia remaining, and maybe a sk runoff day.

Which is pretty close to what we saw happen. Mafia victory on day 10 w/ 2 remaining.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Nope.

Each night would have resulted in the death of 2.5 villagers, .5 mafia, and .05 sk. 5 villager deaths for every mafia, with the tipping point coming on day 10 with an even split of mafia/sk and village. One more cycle resulting in a mafia victory with ~3 mafia remaining, and maybe a sk runoff day.

Which is pretty close to what we saw happen. Mafia victory on day 10 w/ 2 remaining.

What are the chances of JUMPing to a DAY when all mafia were dead (temp and/or permanent)? Is that even calculate-able?

I was worried the village would get some lucky vigs in and we would JUMP to DAY 8 or something and all mafia would be dead. Game over on like JUMP 3 or something.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    @jdarksun

Just to be clear, those number you ran above were the most likely statistical outcome as if no one had played the game and everything had just happened randomly?

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Super fun game Obifett!

I'm shocked that the mafia didn't seem to use the narrations to find the specials and eliminate them. It definitely seemed easier to pin down the specials over the mafia (aside from Gizzy)

• Options
    Nope.

What are the chances of JUMPing to a DAY when all mafia were dead (temp and/or permanent)? Is that even calculate-able?

I was worried the village would get some lucky vigs in and we would JUMP to DAY 8 or something and all mafia would be dead. Game over on like JUMP 3 or something.
    The stats I posted totally ignore all game function except for the permanent kills. We could certainly calculate that out, but it'd be a bit of a nightmare with all roles and potential trickle-down effects.
    Just to be clear, those number you ran above were the most likely statistical outcome as if no one had played the game and everything had just happened randomly?
    That's correct, it's just a loose statistical model. If you do the same thing with a generic 30 player PA game with no powers except for vote and mafia kills, it looks like this:

30 players broken up into 6 mafia, 24 villagers:

Mafia: 100% village
    Village: 80% village, 20% mafia

Each night would have resulted in the death of 1.8 villagers, and .2 mafia. 9 villager deaths for every mafia (5 days), with the tipping point coming on Day ~11 (4v4). But we don't usually do that, there's usually a couple mafia kills and a vig and a guard, which makes this sort of math more interesting.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Very interesting game, ObiFett. Since I got offed so early, I didn't pay much attention to the game, so I've got nothing to comment on in regards to mechanics and balance. But I will commend you on pulling off such a strange mechanics set as well as it went. Thanks for hosting.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Aww damn, I should have gone with Assuran for my vote. He played it cool well.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I will admit I've got ideas based from the echoing vote here that I'd like to try. Just probably sit be anytime soon :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile