As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [steam] thread - Go find the new thread!

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Terraria strikes a great balance between an open, moldable world and still giving you objectives to pursue. I adore it even if I'm really not a mine craft fan.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    (Oh TychoCelchuuu, your star was too bright for our world...)

@Idx86, thanks for picking up the torch. I ported a comic gallery section for the OP:

# # #

The Steam thread has a proud tradition of marrying our love of Steam and Penny Arcade in comic edits:

steamregulator.jpg

GALLERY OF EDITS:
    ibxLHlG35kActf.jpg

n6r4F.jpg

tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

indiegala.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

P9CBk.jpg

fpota.jpg

steamprayer.jpg

trainsj.jpg

contestvd.jpg

LHrXd.png

l4W8s.jpg

ibh5BT3Q3pNVkA.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I laugh at those edits every time.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They're so authentic that when there's a real one (like the recent comic about Steam) I can't tell anymore.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I have work tonight and I still haven't recovered fully, it's going to be a blast!

I fully intend to hop into steam after too. If I'm alright. And possibly play one of the gazillion games I done got gifted. Seriously, a whole week and the only thing I've played is a brief stint of GTAIV to see how it runs on the laptop. (Excellent btw).

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    What font is used in the edits?

Crusader Kings II is my favorite game in the history of everything. IMO, it's the best 4X game ever, it's the best RTS ever, it's the best RPG ever, and it only barely fits into those categories. I cannot express using English just how much I love Crusader Kings 2; higher math becomes necessary.

The best way to learn Crusader Kings II is to take it in stages IMO. Start as a vassal of someone, figure out how to upgrade your holdings and how the dynasty and inheritance systems work. Figure out warfare by joining a Crusade. Figure out intrigue by learning how to see what people not of your family have a claim to your titles, and then systematically murdering them.

Next thing you know, you'll be forging claims on the Byzantine Empire, creating factions to put yourself into power, murdering off the ruling dynasty and the strongest other claimants so that you can fight a brief but fierce civil war to seize your family's rightful destiny. And then, you put that upstart Bishop of Rome in his place.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Geth liking that worries me

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen the cookie dipping one or the trains one. They are awesome. Anyone know what thread title hit last night that got the other one locked?

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Geth liking anything worries me

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Geth liking anything worries me

Worrying about Geth gets him to track you.

So, uh, don't worry.

• Options
    I don't think I've ever seen the cookie dipping one or the trains one. They are awesome. Anyone know what thread title hit last night that got the other one locked?

The "Stop fucking around with the thread title". Tycho changed it a little and it was over.

Anyway Proteus. How many people bought it then? I figure it'll get cheaper by summer dale but at that price? Who can resist.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    striderjg wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    I am completely intimidated by Crusader Kings II, but if they had a Game of Thrones version I would probably buy it up immediately.

You mean like this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

Wait...is this thing good?

CKII is a 4X game or what?

*edit* Never mind, @shadowhope answered my question. I didn't see his post before I posted this.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Anyway Proteus. How many people bought it then? I figure it'll get cheaper by summer dale but at that price? Who can resist.

It seems like something my friend's younger kids could have a good time with anytime they come over. Generally I plop them down in front of Netflix and they watch a bunch of kids shows.

I once entertained half a dozen of them for like 30 mins, just walking through Pandaria's "Valley of the Four Winds" zone (WoW). The "living" world fascinated them. So I just went around showing them all the farms and animals and followed NPCs simulating conversations with them. Something like this, pending it has insects and animals, seems like it would be a neat diversion.

God forbid they ever see me playing Animal Crossing.

• Options

The "Stop fucking around with the thread title". Tycho changed it a little and it was over.

I'm in the same boat on Proteus. Honestly, I'm supposed to be studying for a big, hard math exam next week so buying games is really, really stupid so I think I'm going to hold off despite it looking really neat.

As a side note, I think one project I'm going to do once this test is done is go through all my emails on charity bundles and download the various non-Steam games that were included that I've never bothered with...I realized that there are probably a good half dozen games I've forgotten I've bought.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Excision wrote: »
    I am completely intimidated by Crusader Kings II, but if they had a Game of Thrones version I would probably buy it up immediately.

You mean like this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

*edit* Never mind, @shadowhope answered my question. I didn't see his post before I posted this.
    There's no eXplore in the game, so technically it's not really a 4X. The focus is on eXploit, but eXpand and eXterminate have their places. It's sort of like a plausible RTS in it's combat mechanics, if not a particularly deep game in that respect - properly, it's a Grand Strategy Game, as opposed to Real Time Strategy. And it has very strong RPG elements, with the need to make choices based on events that pop up; your choices can mean the difference between a long and peaceful dictatorship or short and bloody anarchy.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    I'm having so much unexpected fun thanks to the generous folks here. Saints Row is the silliest fun I've had in a while, and Dawn of War II is right up my alley. I missed so much having a terrible PC for so long.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Excision wrote: »

There's no eXplore in the game, so technically it's not really a 4X. The focus is on eXploit, but eXpand and eXterminate have their places. It's sort of like a plausible RTS in it's combat mechanics, if not a particularly deep game in that respect - properly, it's a Grand Strategy Game, as opposed to Real Time Strategy. And it has very strong RPG elements, with the need to make choices based on events that pop up; your choices can mean the difference between a long and peaceful dictatorship or short and bloody anarchy.

Welp, this description coupled with the existence of a Game of Thrones mod means this is a get for me during Summer Dale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm having so much unexpected fun thanks to the generous folks here. Saints Row is the silliest fun I've had in a while, and Dawn of War II is right up my alley. I missed so much having a terrible PC for so long.

Saints Row 4 and DoW2 both get way better in coop. Get some friends and knock that shit out of the park.

ps. I have both. Hinthint.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    The only thing I'll caution you about is that it really is a Grand Strategy Game, not a RTS. You could play it like a RTS, but that'd be hilariously terrible.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    From the old thread:
    captaink wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to pre-order Total War: Rome II from GMG before the 25% discount expires? I'm just not sure if there'll be a better deal before September.

That will probably be the best deal but, GMG will most likely offer it on and off all the way up until release. 20% at least for sure.

Yeah, I can remember them offering 20% discounts quite a few times before, I just wasn't sure if they'd go up to 25% again. I know I'm going to get it day one anyway but it feels weird pre-ordering this far out. I dunno, I guess I'll make a decision over the next couple of days. Thanks for the help.

GMG's 20% off coupon usually does NOT work on pre-orders. And sometimes brand-new releases aren't covered.

GMG's blog says it the 25% code expires in a couple of days:
    "Voucher expires at 1500 UTC May 17th. Only available on listed titles above."
    Well shit, pre-ordered. I hope you're happy.
    Seriously though, thanks.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KazitronKazitron Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yo, steam, why did you give me another 5 DOTA 2 gift codes?

In other news, I now have 25.

Kazitron on
  • Options
    Kazitron wrote: »

Because Dota 2 is the bestest and everyone should be watching the International Qualifiers and playing the shit out of the game, and spreading it to their friends. Dooo it. So good.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just gave the Resident Evil: Revelations demo a shot...and removed it from my wishlist. I'm not going to spend a game scanning every area for stupid invisible items. This is why everyone doesn't release demos, I suppose.

Darlan on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    You can't fool me.

• Options
    I've given out 2 copies of DOTA2 this week.

Doing the Newell's work.

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Because Dota 2 is the bestest and everyone should be watching the International Qualifiers and playing the shit out of the game, and spreading it to their friends. Dooo it. So good.

Okay, lemme see if this works; Geth, kick CorriganX out of this thread.

• Options
    Does anyone else who isn't interested in DOTA feel wasteful that they've essentially been given an opportunity to try and get in on the trend but are choosing not to do so? I watch a lot of Giant Bomb content, so DOTA is on the brain a lot.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Okay, lemme see if this works; Geth, kick CorriganX out of this thread.

37205130.jpg

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Just gave the Resident Evil: Revelations demo a shot...and removed it from my wishlist. I'm not going to spend a game scanning every area for stupid invisible items. This is why everyone doesn't release demos, I suppose.

What's huh? You mean they don't have the iconic flashing of items like every other RE?

• Options
    Does anyone else who isn't interested in DOTA feel wasteful that they've essentially been given an opportunity to try and get in on the trend but are choosing not to do so? I watch a lot of Giant Bomb content, so DOTA is on the brain a lot.

If what you're saying is you want to be my 3rd 'willing' DOTee this week then give me a minute, I'll sort you out.

Then I can snicker as you walk into towers for two bot games in a row. :rotate:

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

I feel more like I'm preserving my marriage and my social life and my nerve endings and my chance to play a billion other games.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A big thanks for the happy game recommendations yesterday. After playing some more Spec Ops last night where I [redacted] D:D:D:D:D:D:D: , I fired up Costume Quest and was instantly lightened up from the cuteness dripping from it. I followed it up with some Recettear, which made extra sure I was happy and fuzzy by the time the day was done!

Costume Quest was my happy game after I finished up Dead Island. It's so much <3

Also, we are only $2m away from Costume Quest 2

:cry:

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Also, has anyone heard of Gear up? It looks kinda neat.

Plus, I have £13.75 with which to pile up my backlog. I'd love some suggestions.

• Options
    edited May 2013

I feel more like I'm preserving my marriage and my social life and my nerve endings and my chance to play a billion other games.

Playing MOBAs(hate that acronym) is like constantly re-climbing the same candy mountain where different jawbreakers are falling down in an attempt to get the sweetest chocolate at the top (Sorry, it's lunch time). The games are fun, but apart from the learning cliffs and confusing concepts, there's also the awful communities there-in that don't really encourage you to keep playing.

People who are/would like to be interested in DOTA should know by now that there is an overwhelming wave of invites constantly being flushed out.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    People who want to get into any MOBA really should do so with a friend who already plays the game.

It helps you develop the aura of not giving fucks required to tolerate the communities.

Unlike the Steam thread's community, all that is given by MOBA communities are racial slurs and instructions on how to uninstall your game.

Except that one time Riot gave icons away to people who gifted others over christmas.

• Options

If what you're saying is you want to be my 3rd 'willing' DOTee this week then give me a minute, I'll sort you out.

Then I can snicker as you walk into towers for two bot games in a row. :rotate:

I think I have a DOTA key lying around my inventory.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Well I just sent you another one. The only way to prevent the bombardment is to install :P

• Options
    I was gifted DOTA awhile back but haven't tried it yet. I honestly don't know if I'm competitive enough for it. I think it's the casual gamer in me but I'd rather build something in Sims or run a city in Tropico than deal with the online community and stress of trying to get good enough to enjoy DOTA.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    A big thanks for the happy game recommendations yesterday. After playing some more Spec Ops last night where I [redacted] D:D:D:D:D:D:D: , I fired up Costume Quest and was instantly lightened up from the cuteness dripping from it. I followed it up with some Recettear, which made extra sure I was happy and fuzzy by the time the day was done!

Costume Quest was my happy game after I finished up Dead Island. It's so much <3

Also, we are only $2m away from Costume Quest 2

:cry:

I'd freaking love a costume quest 2.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    staplerofpaperstaplerofpaper Registered User regular

Saints Row 4 and DoW2 both get way better in coop. Get some friends and knock that shit out of the park.

ps. I have both. Hinthint.

You just made me freak out thinking Saints Row 4 was already released. Bout had a heart attack.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.