As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Looney Tunes Thread (new episode starting)

2»

• Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Htv1t6sUU

The best Warner Brothers cartoon ever

That and the one where they do the parody of Der Ring des Nibelungen are up there to be sure. I wonder how many people hear that music and immediately think "Kill the Wabbit!".

Binary Squid on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That is a Good gif.

• Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Binary Squid on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    did they make yosemite sam more pc

ie. does he no longer shoot up everything with his guns

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    In the first season he does not have his guns. In the second season he gets his guns back, they explained the lack of guns in the first season as the government literally taking away his guns and guns rights for being irresponsible with his firearms. He asks his neighbors to sign a petition saying he is a responsible person so he can get his guns again, he gets them back since people are sympathetic to him being unable to shoot his way out of problems like he used to. Bugs and Daffy take Granny down to a shooting range and Lola skeet shoots as a hobby. I think the nazi episode flashbacks had guns too but it has been a while since I had seen it. There's also that clip in the OP where Daffy shoots a machine gun at some Albanian prison guards.

I'm glad to see guns back in cartoons.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    In the first season he does not have his guns. In the second season he gets his guns back, they explained the lack of guns in the first season as the government literally taking away his guns and guns rights for being irresponsible with his firearms. He asks his neighbors to sign a petition saying he is a responsible person so he can get his guns again, he gets them back since people are sympathetic to him being unable to shoot his way out of problems like he used to. Bugs and Daffy take Granny down to a shooting range and Lola skeet shoots as a hobby. I think the nazi episode flashbacks had guns too but it has been a while since I had seen it. There's also that clip in the OP where Daffy shoots a machine gun at some Albanian prison guards.

I'm glad to see guns back in cartoons.

what the hell is going on with kids' cartoons nowadays

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I art bashful

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xdk7ww_a-witch-s-tangled-hare_shortfilms

I grew up with these and listening to my dad laugh at them makes me laugh still

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    porky in wackyland is probably my favorite

i also always loved the ones narrated by robert c. bruce

e.g. "a day at the zoo"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtblQQvT2Nk

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular

You can talk about Space Jam and Duck Dodgers and those weird 90s 'ghetto' airbrush Looney Tunes tees in here too (seriously does anyone else remember those?)

Yes!

Me and a friend were just talking about that the other day. Trying to determine what was the catalyst of putting Bugs, Tweety and Taz into baggy pants and jerseys. Out of all the cartoons up until that point, I don't know how they went that route for awhile unless Compton was down with it way before hand.
    I always assumed that the urban looney tune merchandise was the result of some weird path of marketing logic that started at Space Jam

gangsta-bugs-bunny.jpg

UGH. It was everywhere. I don't know if this was a big push from WB or who thought it was a good idea but apparently a lot of people did. If you went into a Spanish swap meet/flea market you would find a lot of custom airbrushed shirts and posters with this kind of imagery. So Compton was probably down with it, because that stuff sold.

on Space Jam? Is it really a bad movie? It was entertaining then and entertaining now, even if I enjoy now for different reasons. It really has that special oddness of 90s movies. Film-making got a lot less weird in the past decade.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The original Loony Tunes cartoons reruns made a distinct impression on me as a child of the nineteen hundred and eighties.

I am not sure if I would have appreciated classical music as much if not for the Hungarian Rhapsody as performed by Bugs Bunny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_nypfbZLQ

If that Daffy Duck 'The Wizard' Merry Melodies episode at least inspires a generation to appreciate the works of Dio, this current iteration has served its purpose.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    where can I get caught up on the episodes of this new version?

I started watching mid first season, and then forgot to put it on my DVR when I moved

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    it's just such a weird thing to do with looney tunes.

wrong

this is a weird thing to do with looney tunes

tumblr_lv3hpwPxsH1r4nv2so1_500.jpg

oh hey, mega man x bosses.

Needs bigger feet.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    on Space Jam? Is it really a bad movie? It was entertaining then and entertaining now, even if I enjoy now for different reasons. It really has that special oddness of 90s movies. Film-making got a lot less weird in the past decade.

Have you actually watched it recently?

I have.

It really is a bad movie.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i am assuming the logic went

"space jam did well, how do we use it to cater to a new demographic?" "black people like basketball right?" "what else do we imagine that black people like that we can associate looney tunes with?"

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the dan aykroid joke is still good, at the very least

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I have such nostalgia for Space Jam that I think my brain would hardwire me into enjoying it even if it actually was terrible on a rewatch

• Options
    I have such nostalgia for Space Jam that I think my brain would hardwire me into enjoying it even if it actually was terrible on a rewatch

Maybe this explains it. I can't not enjoy the movie. It has Shaq. That's fucking hilarious.

@Joolander:
    There are currently 4 DVDs, available through Netflix too
    TimeWarner OnDemand has 5 episodes
    Cartoonnetwork.com has 5 full episodes
    All episodes are available on iTunes

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really need to watch this. I almost feel ashamed that I haven't seen much of it at all.

This is my thing, man.

Also, that Duck Dodgers cartoon was way, way better than it really had any right to be. Having a Tom Jones theme song was probably a big part of it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I do find it telling, that of all the villains in cartoons that follow the predator/prey format, the only one where I never sympathized with the predator after a while was Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

I think it's the card.

tumblr_ltubx5P14K1r1fygso1_500.png

Anyone with a card like this should never win.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the dan aykroid joke is still good, at the very least

Everything Bill Murray does in the film is gold.

My friend hadn't seen it before, so it was great whenever he showed up. But the rest of the movie is just painful.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I always liked the cartoon where Wile E Coyote tried to eat Bugs

• Options

Wait. What? Link please? Cartoon's name please?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    The Coyote appears separately as an occasional antagonist of Bugs Bunny in five shorts from 1952 to 1963: Operation: Rabbit, To Hare Is Human, Rabbit's Feat, Compressed Hare, and Hare-Breadth Hurry. While he is generally silent in the Coyote-Road Runner shorts, he speaks with a refined accent in these solo outings (except for Hare-Breadth Hurry), introducing himself as "Wile E. Coyote — super genius", voiced with an upper-class, cultured English accent by Mel Blanc.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Actually in one Bugs is subbing for Road runner and it plays like a weird hybrid of both their shorts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    The Coyote appears separately as an occasional antagonist of Bugs Bunny in five shorts from 1952 to 1963: Operation: Rabbit, To Hare Is Human, Rabbit's Feat, Compressed Hare, and Hare-Breadth Hurry. While he is generally silent in the Coyote-Road Runner shorts, he speaks with a refined accent in these solo outings (except for Hare-Breadth Hurry), introducing himself as "Wile E. Coyote — super genius", voiced with an upper-class, cultured English accent by Mel Blanc.

Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius, is still a phrase I say sometimes and it always makes me giggle.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Roadrunner was my favorite looney toons, by far

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Wait. What? Link please? Cartoon's name please?

(Some audio delay)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gzL786kwh8c

(turn of notifications)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvDBmCNMKeA

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man. Growing up in the early 90s, I think it was either NBC or ABC that played an hour of Looney Tunes shorts near the end of the Saturday Morning block. If I happened to hit those while channel surfing, I'd always watch them.

Being in that age demo, though, I grew up more with Tiny Toons. So.. yeah. Learning that the weird Dodo thing was actually a callback to an old Looney Tunes episode was kind of a mind trip.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I never really dug on the old Looney Tunes shorts except for Roadrunner and Coyote and that old black and white Bosco cartoon for some reason I can't explain. Young me just found it very charming I guess.

When the characters would show up in each-others cartoons I'd blow my mind.

Crossovers in general did.

I was obsessed with things like The Jetsons meet the Flinstones.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I never really dug on the old Looney Tunes shorts except for Roadrunner and Coyote and that old black and white Bosco cartoon for some reason I can't explain. Young me just found it very charming I guess.

Your brain must have exploded when they did that super cartoon all star anti drug PSA that had all sorts of toons in it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I was always partial to Chuck Jones "Hunting trilogy" of Rabbit Fire/Rabbit Seasoning/Duck! Rabbit! Duck!. Not only does it have the first pairing of Bugs and Daffy, it pretty much establishes the modern interpretation of Daffy's personality taking the character in a completely different direction and features some of the greatest gag dialogue (as opposed to physical comedy) outside of Who's on First. It's brilliant, canonically defining, and timelessly funny.

Bloody hard to find a decent version on YouTube, though.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Rabbit Fire is easily my favorite Looney Tune. Every single joke is outstanding, and they never stop coming.

All outta bullets, anyone for tennis, the elephant gun, Elmer season.

Perfection.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh man

I just watched the Devil Dog episode last night

They actually made me feel a bit of sympathy

This show rules

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

I bet that fan theory that the jesons and the flinstones happening at the same time just keeps you up at night doesn't it.

• Options
    A new episode is coming up in a few minutes:

tumblr_mn5xp9cMHZ1qhansmo1_1280.png
    Can these three work together to get themselves home safe?? Find out on an all new The Looney Tune Show, tonight at 8/7c on Cartoon Network!

Also: I found a sexy Bugs Bunny Halloween costume

Sexy-Rascally-Rabbit-Costume-BB-2012-2.jpg

@unbreakablevow: That episode had some oddly nice animation for no reason. And yeah I think doggie Taz is adorable.

• Options
    I have seen most of the first season and a few episodes of the second season now, and I can confirm, Lola as a crazy stalker is an amazing character.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I appreciate that they not only used Lola but also reworked her awful space jam personality into a more appropriate one for a looney toon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    So far my favorite moment has been
    Bugs revealing that he had been cross-dressing to help Porky with his dancing lessons and Speedy's reaction.

I fell out of my chair during that bit.