As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do Any Of You Write

1202122232426»

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    As an update I hit 87k words on my novel Thursday, and it's done.

So yeah, met my record by August with a bit of space to go.

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Damn, alcohol increases my productivity like fuck.

Let's see how the quality is tomorrow.

• Options
    For me it's altoids

lots and lots of altoids

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm brainstorming again. I should spend less time daydreaming and brainstorming and more time writing, but I have ideas when I don't have any way of writing things down. And I forget things before I have a chance to write them down.

• Options
    I'm working through multiple edits at the moment. Trying to get some short stories done the way I'd like and send them off to some contests at the end of August. Alongside that I'm working through my novel, which is going at a moderately decent pace.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Lightspeed closes to subs today until at least January, so get yer stuff in pronto

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Looks like I made it into second-round consideration on Daily Science Fiction! That puts me ahead of 90% of other submissions apparently!?

Aw man

I know I'm most likely not going to get in and it's going to be at least 2 weeks before I get rejected but I have never been this close to getting my prose published before, I am so hella stoked

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I wish I'd started focusing on my writing back in like, mid-May right after things settled down instead of just for this past month.

I've got one more month until classes start back up, and I'm taking 16 hours and will have so much work and will have a part-time job on top of that.

Ugh.

Hopefully I can churn stuff out and get this excerpt from my novel done by January so I can submit it for the Keene prize of $50,000!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Got my rejection this morning.

Man

I was so close.

All right, next venue.

Edit: Only thing is I kind of wish I had gotten some kind of personal note with it

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah, even second round, they rarely send a personal note

I think @tapeslinger is the only other person I know who got second-rounded, so hooray!

Lightspeed canned mine so now I have to figure out where else to send it

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I never got around to sending to DSF, just CW. I did get second-rounded at cw, though. @Quoth you know people who got second rounded at DSF because you know a fair few with stories there :p

• Options
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm really disappointed with the Supreme Court. I was going to write a short story about two parents with designer genes from different companies that had a kid, then got sued by the companies for copyright infringement along the lines of Monsanto suing farmers that tried to use second generation seeds, instead of buying more seeds from Monsanto. At least, I thought that was the gist of that lawsuit

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I sent it to AE: the Canadian Science Fiction Review

They take a bit longer to respond than other venues I've sent to, but here's hoping

I really need to write another story and start putting it through the rounds too

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have to actually commit to writing, because I always say I want to but then never follow through.

I don't even know where to start. I haven't really done any writing since high school. I've been spending pretty much all night reading through resources. I think I might try building some characters first and see where that takes me. I felt like if I wrote it down someplace I'd have to hold myself to it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I have to actually commit to writing, because I always say I want to but then never follow through.

I don't even know where to start. I haven't really done any writing since high school. I've been spending pretty much all night reading through resources. I think I might try building some characters first and see where that takes me. I felt like if I wrote it down someplace I'd have to hold myself to it.

Read "On Writing" then start just, well, writing. Give yourself a quota. Daily wordcount you can't fall below. Then get to work.

Your writing will suck. This isn't a comment on you. It's a nigh-universal truth. But you'll get better.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

You got to just start writing. There's nothing in resources that's really going to help you write as long as you have the basic blocks of technically being able to write. Just come up with the story you want to tell and start writing it. If you're story sucks that's what editing is for, but you can't edit words you haven't written.

• Options
    I am now writing the story of a woman whose infant son is nearly stolen by shapeshifters. She ends up with both her own child and the one that was meant to replace him, and she's trying to bring the changeling infant back to its parents.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I am now writing the story of a woman whose infant son is nearly stolen by shapeshifters. She ends up with both her own child and the one that was meant to replace him, and she's trying to bring the changeling infant back to its parents.

I envy your imagination Wyborn

I've been really stressed and distracted lately and its hard to get my brain focused properly on telling stories

Writing sprints help but anything I write there is always disconnected from any of my current projects and I really feel like I should be making progress on some of those!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Did you end up using those knee locks in the story you sent me?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Not yet

What focus I've had I've devoted to other stories (which is part of the problem!) but make no mistake, I haven't forgotten about that

Solid gold advice, that was

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Olivaw as your sworn dakka bro and new writer buddy

Go ahead and edit in that one sentence, and the references to his limp necessary to make it work

Don't think about it, don't hee and haw

Open up your word document and do it right now. It will take you only a minute and you will feel super good for having got it done and it might break whatever stillness inertia you've got going

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I did it

There's still some editing that needs doing, but I did it

I'll play with a bit more later tonight

Thanks, dakka bro. I do feel better!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Hurray!

Also I just found out that a sentence prompt I posted on someone's blog as part of a contest just got picked for something

It was never acknowledged in the contest itself but I was asked by Singapore's National Library Board if they could use an edited version of my sentence as one of the 5-6 prompts for their annual flash fiction contest. So that's pretty cool! I'm gonna be keeping an eye on the contest this year, to see if any of the winning stories end up using my prompt.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I just got a twitfic accepted by Trapeze magazine, yay

You guys should try it, so fun to write

E: and here it is

Quoth on