As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'd like to make a Hellhound-centric Occultist.

I think the second skill in the Hellhound line boosts Fire and Chaos damage around it.

And Devil-touched Ammo grants a nifty spell/power with those elements.

But the Raven seems to be more efficient and the Demo is more apt at burning things.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I do agree with you that progression feels slow post-Warden Krieg or so! I think it doesn't help at all that the skill tree obliges you to open it up every level just to make pretty straightforward decisions, like "I choose to soak these points into my primary skill's 52-point buffer; next level, I will choose to soak them into Having Stats."

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    EDIT: Sorry. Wrong thread.

Grim Dawn, WOOO!

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    It's customization heavy and it doesn't have a very intuitive way for players to come up with smart decisions regarding gear and skill setup.

My Occultist / Soldier at normal is happier with a decent mace that does big Physical damage rather than something with "10 Chaos / +10% Elemental/ 9% Phys converted to Chaos".

Early you can nab many skills with just putting 1 point on each and enemies melt anyway. Doesn't help with meatier enemies and bosses that actually can debuff/CC you.

I like the game anyway. But as I'm not a PC veteran I don't get the top-down aRPG pedigree that was considered into the design.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I think it's mostly just looking at the skill tree and getting a vague idea of what you're building towards? Like I took one look at the classes and was like "I want to do Pyro with the fire shot and akimbo pistols, that sounds awesome." To go with that I looked up what other skills boosted fire damage (went with Arcanist in the end, though this was before Occultist was a thing), and hung onto any rares that boosted my fire damage.

You can go pure physical if you want, and there's rares to support that playstyle. Or you can specifically focus on a certain element and focus on the skills that interact with that element.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, there are certain archetypes and playstyles one can recreate with the abilities given.

Question: Is it redundant to have 2 skills that produce DoTs with the same damage type?

Like say Fireblast (from a component) and Explosive Strike (from Demo's skill tree). From what I've read, the one that deals more damage overrides the other.

Guess it's ok if the more powerful one has a longer cooldown.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, there are certain archetypes and playstyles one can recreate with the abilities given.

Question: Is it redundant to have 2 skills that produce DoTs with the same damage type?

Like say Fireblast (from a component) and Explosive Strike (from Demo's skill tree). From what I've read, the one that deals more damage overrides the other.

Guess it's ok if the more powerful one has a longer cooldown.

Different skills will stack.

"Unlike debuff effects, DoTs stack from different sources and always do full damage. For example, if you apply Poison with your weapon, and then another Poison effect with a spell, both will deal full damage."

Using the same skill multiple times refreshes the duration instead.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Nice.

Boy, there are stretches between the portal rifts. A drag going back to a boss fight.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Nice.

Boy, there are stretches between the portal rifts. A drag going back to a boss fight.

You can always drop a portal even if you aren't going to use it. Then if you die, the portal is already there and you don't have to walk.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Didn't know that.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    This game is good.

I have two main characters I'm running with - a dual-wield Purifier (demo/inquis) based around lots and lots of fire and a Sentinel (oath/occult) that is basically Acidic Captain America. Both are a good bit of fun.

Also recommend using one of your all-character-pages in your storage chest for all your crafting materials since it lets you grab from your entire collection when making something.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    This game is good.

I have two main characters I'm running with - a dual-wield Purifier (demo/inquis) based around lots and lots of fire and a Sentinel (oath/occult) that is basically Acidic Captain America. Both are a good bit of fun.

Also recommend using one of your all-character-pages in your storage chest for all your crafting materials since it lets you grab from your entire collection when making something.

Speaking of, one of the best qol updates they made was adding that "Send all components to stash" button.

• Options
    I checked the official forums and seems they are working on more content.

Likely along the Xbox edition of the game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    This game is good.

Speaking of, one of the best qol updates they made was adding that "Send all components to stash" button.

They're so good at the QoL stuff in GD that I find myself continually aggravated with how shitty PoE is in that regard.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    This game is good.

They're so good at the QoL stuff in GD that I find myself continually aggravated with how shitty PoE is in that regard.

is there really not an autosort button in PoE? Like good lord y'all

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Got to Homestead.

More loyalty vendors. I don't like those.

Question: Does using caster armor makes your character move faster?

I've been sticking to heavy gear most of the time.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    This game is good.

Not even on the console version. Gotta do fuckin inventory tetris manually with a controller and it sucks ass.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    This game is good.

Not even on the console version. Gotta do fuckin inventory tetris manually with a controller and it sucks ass.

Ctrl click puts your items into your inventory if you got the right tab open.

If not it puts stuff in the first slot available.

Premium stash tabs have pre-existing slots for items.

I don't know if this exists on console.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    More loyalty vendors. I don't like those.

Most sell You Can Only Find It Here kinds of recipes, so they do get useful.

Also, once one of your characters gets to a high enough status level, you buy the big ol' writ that can transfer to your other characters to boost loyalty gains right out of the gate.
    Question: Does using caster armor makes your character move faster?

Nope, just speed bonuses from armor or constellations or add-ons.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also I've been looking at Grim Dawn to try out, which is why the lurk

It looks interesting

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It's good and I got it from a Steam sale at like 4 bucks.

Had tried Path of Exile. And it's good but the inventory capacity and currency system are a pain.

They clearly want you to spend some cash.

Also, every update takes a long time to install.

GD feels polished out of the gate.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It's good and I got it from a Steam sale at like 4 bucks.

Had tried Path of Exile. And it's good but the inventory capacity and currency system are a pain.

They clearly want you to spend some cash.

GD feels polished out of the gate.

Well yes, it's how they keep the lights on.

I quite adore the currency/crafting system in the game, plus the massive amount of choice/builds that can be done. It's why I still play PoE and not D3. I've heard GD is kind of a happy medium between the two, and I like what I'm seeing in the class system so far

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I did like PoE.

I just wasn't sold on buying respec tokens given the mistakes I would make.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I did like PoE.

I just wasn't sold on buying respec tokens given the mistakes I would make.

Usually I use Path of Building and spec out an entire build before I even start up the game. Or import my current build and see what possible routes I could take.

And I can definitely see why this is not an attractive way to play a game, but it works for me.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

So my friend just let me into the secret of this: It has to do with how PoE's patches interact (or, more accurately, don't) with the Steam client. It's basically redownloading the whole game or something. When I moved to the standalone PoE client it started patching in like a minute.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Does that happen when you just get a 1GB patch?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm reminded I ran into a quest yesterday where with a little girl was trapped in a cave.
    Damn. Poor family. Not a lot of closure there.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I'm reminded I ran into a quest yesterday where with a little girl trapped in a cave.
    Damn. Poor family. Not a lot of closure there.

yeah the quests in this game can get pretty

grim

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Damn shame what they did to that dog.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Got to level 40.

Got 3 items that give me +1 to all Occultist skills and also got 2 that shoot Doom Bolts around. BOOM!

And managed to get to place named Port Valbury by exploring. No rift in sight.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Got to level 40.

Got 3 items that give me +1 to all Occultist skills and also got 2 that shoot Doom Bolts around. BOOM!

And managed to get to place named Port Valbury by exploring. No rift in sight.

Port Valbury is one of what they call 'rogue-like dungeons' which means it requires a Skeleton key and if you die in there, you are done for the session and using rifts is blocked. On the other hand there's plenty of bosses and chests so if you can finish it without dying you'll get a bunch of loot. I'm not a big fan of that particular place with how much deadly floor it has and how it is a huge maze.

• Options
    The magical Chernobyl motif wears off real quick there.

I got inside that area with a portal.

Maybe I should've tried the Ghost Key thing in that Torment dungeon.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Okay, I picked up the base game sans expansions and have been having a lot of fun with it.

How much do the expansions add and am I gonna have to start all over again (i.e. I'm only level 35 should I just go buy the expacs and start over or...)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Well, more areas but I have like 40 levels on my main and haven't even gotten to the first expansion.

Not sure when you can access them.

Extra classes:
    1st exp - Necromancer and Inquisitor (dual-wield pistols is the main feature)
    2nd exp - Oathbreaker (think Paladin)

Necro is what you'd expect: army of skeletons and blight+cold attacks.

I don't have Forgotten Gods so can't define Oathbreaker with precision.

EDIT:

From the official website

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/about/ashes-of-malmouth/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz2Z6hN5YBs
    Level Cap Increased to 100 – Reach for ever greater power with an increased level cap of 100 and an increased Devotion cap of 55!
    Two Additional Masteries – Unleash your vengeance upon the enemies of humanity with two new Masteries: the Inquisitor and the Necromancer, both of which can be combined with the base game’s Masteries, nearly doubling the possible combinations!
    Two Story Chapters – Confront the devious Aetherials and their twisted abominations in the fallen city of Malmouth as you push forward alongside the Black Legion and Inquisitor Creed in two epic Chapters!
    Transform Your Appearance – A brand-new Illusionist Service NPC enables you to transform the appearance of your equipment and customize your ideal look! Draw upon every item in your collection across all characters!
    New Environments – Explore new parts of Cairn to the north of Burrwitch and beyond! Traverse the treacherous forest of Gloomwald and the murky Ugdenbog as you seek passage to the fallen city of Malmouth.
    Four Factions – New Factions provide more opportunities to make allies…and enemies. Earn their favor to unlock unique rewards, or become a nemesis to spawn powerful foes.
    14 Constellations – Unleash the might of the Arkovian Gods with 14 new Devotion Constellations that open up even more combinations in Grim Dawn’s massive constellation map.
    Collect Hundreds of New Items – Dozens of new Monster Infrequents and Hundreds of Epic and Legendary items are waiting to be added to your collection! Combine them with the new Illusion System to create a look unique to you!
    Item Skill Modifiers – Transmute and empower your Mastery skills using new Skill Modifiers found exclusively on equipment.
    New Nemesis and Superbosses – Tackle all-new vicious threats and earn their unique loot. Discover Cairn’s secrets to summon supremely powerful foes.
    A New Rogue-Like Dungeon – Delve into the mysteries of the Ancient Grove, a haven of the beast god Mogdrogen that has become tainted by the corrupting presence of the Aetherials and the Chthonians.
    Expanded Stash – Stow away precious treasure with a vastly expanded Personal Stash and an additional Shared Stash Tab.
    Reset Your Attributes and Mastery Bar – Find a new type of potion that allows you reset your Attribute Points. Speak to a Spirit Guide to unlearn the Mastery Bar down to one point.

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/about/forgotten-gods/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NlahpvZ2hY
    Enter the Shattered Realm – a brand new game mode will have you face off against Cairn’s foes in ever more challenging shards of an unstable reality. Earn unique rewards and mountains of loot!
    A New Class Mastery – smite your foes with a divine new mastery: the Oathkeeper, which can be combined with the other Masteries, raising the total number of combinations to a staggering 36!
    Rune Augments – Apply a new category of enchantments to your Medals, unlocking powerful mobility skills available to all masteries, including Leap, Teleport and more.
    A Massive Story Chapter – Journey beyond the remnants of the Erulan Empire to dangerous new lands teeming with forbidden secrets. Battle alongside the Witch God cults to vanquish the rising threat of a forgotten god.
    New Environments – Discover foreboding deserts, explore lush oases, survive the heat of a land ravaged by a god’s burning rage, witness the wonders of the Eldritch Realm itself.
    Difficulty Merits – Embrace new challenges by starting the game on Elite or Ultimate difficulty from the very beginning by purchasing Difficulty Merits for your new characters!
    Transmutation – Visit the Inventor to reroll your duplicate Set Items to create new Set Pieces from the same set or entirely different sets.
    Four Factions – Align yourself with one of the three Witch God cult Factions and face off against Eldritch Horrors serving a forgotten power.
    9 Constellations – Unleash the powers of forgotten gods with 9 new Devotion Constellations that offer even more ways to traverse Grim Dawn’s massive celestial tapestry.
    Collect Hundreds of New Items – Dozens of new Monster Infrequents and Hundreds of Epic and Legendary items are waiting to be added to your collection, including sets exclusive to the game’s Roguelike dungeon and the Shattered Realm!
    Expanded Stash – Protect your precious wealth with an additional Personal and Transfer Stash Tab.
    New Nemesis and Super Bosses – The Eldritch Realm houses terrors beyond imagining. Face off against its nemesis for unique loot. Uncover the secrets of the Korvan Basin and unleash a supremely powerful foe.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Gosh, the pedigree on this game. From a 2015 post on the official forums:
    We’re happy to announce that we’ve brought on Eric Sexton to help enrich and accelerate the design work on Grim Dawn. It is especially exciting for us since Eric was one of the early artists / designers at Blizzard North, contributing to what are obviously some of our favorite games of all time.

Starting as an artist when Blizzard North was originally called “Condor,” Eric animated player characters on Diablo 1 and contributed such creative touches as the macabre detailing of the Butcher’s room and wrote many of the quest concepts. Transitioning to more of a design role on Diablo 2, Eric contributed to the story and world development. Most recently, Eric worked on the creature design team for Borderlands II, creating NPCs and monsters.

On Grim Dawn, Eric is primarily involved with world building and the development of lore but is eager to branch out. He was able to get up to speed on level creation quickly and has already made major contributions, building the mountain fortress that will mark the end of Act 3 and working on an expansive high-level swamp region where some faction quests will take place. Eric has demonstrated a special knack for creating unique points of interest within levels to give them a distinctive feel and detailing out dungeons in a way that really enhances the atmosphere.

Beyond improving our design efforts, we’re also hopeful that this new addition to the team will help increase the rate at which we can produce the remaining content and speed us towards the end-of-year delivery we’re currently targeting for the full release of Grim Dawn.

Eric will be going by the name Hyboreal on the forums.

Any npcs or enemies shouting stuff about a "meat bicycle"?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Gosh, the pedigree on this game. From a 2015 post on the official forums:
    We’re happy to announce that we’ve brought on Eric Sexton to help enrich and accelerate the design work on Grim Dawn. It is especially exciting for us since Eric was one of the early artists / designers at Blizzard North, contributing to what are obviously some of our favorite games of all time.

Starting as an artist when Blizzard North was originally called “Condor,” Eric animated player characters on Diablo 1 and contributed such creative touches as the macabre detailing of the Butcher’s room and wrote many of the quest concepts. Transitioning to more of a design role on Diablo 2, Eric contributed to the story and world development. Most recently, Eric worked on the creature design team for Borderlands II, creating NPCs and monsters.

On Grim Dawn, Eric is primarily involved with world building and the development of lore but is eager to branch out. He was able to get up to speed on level creation quickly and has already made major contributions, building the mountain fortress that will mark the end of Act 3 and working on an expansive high-level swamp region where some faction quests will take place. Eric has demonstrated a special knack for creating unique points of interest within levels to give them a distinctive feel and detailing out dungeons in a way that really enhances the atmosphere.

Beyond improving our design efforts, we’re also hopeful that this new addition to the team will help increase the rate at which we can produce the remaining content and speed us towards the end-of-year delivery we’re currently targeting for the full release of Grim Dawn.

Eric will be going by the name Hyboreal on the forums.

Any npcs or enemies shouting stuff about a "meat bicycle"?

No, but the cultists shout "FRESH MEAT"

• Options
    Bicycles haven't been invented in the world of Grim Dawn.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Regarding expansions, Ashes of Malmouth provides the most content and both player classes are aces. The story is pretty good and there are a bunch of cool factions added in.

Forgotten Gods adds a pretty involved story chain as well and a single class which is fun (and actually the first character I took to level 100). The items added in this expansion do a lot of cool things like turning skills from one damage type to another. Furthermore it adds the Shattered Realm which is like rifting in d3 or maps in PoE. I've found it to be by far the most efficient way of earning loot.

Neither of these expansions are required; the game is perfectly fun without them but if you want more and an opened up build diversity then definitely pick them up when it goes on sale!!

• Options
    It's such a minor thing to like, but I dig that every class-combo has it's own special name.

• Options
    It's like combining classes in Final Fantasy.

Occultist is like a Red Mage and it goes with everything.

XBL - ArchSilversmith