Options

The Swapper | Claymation Puzzle Sci-fi Platformer

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?d&v=7DMp1uc6aJQ

Logo.jpg
Website | twitter | Facebook | moddb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=fBnKkTQn1x0

The Swapper is a sidescrolling puzzle game where you can clone yourself and inhabit the clones to solve puzzles. It's claymationy.

ImageOneSmall.jpg

It looks really pretty. It is one of the games funded by the Indie Fund and it has been in development a while (since at least 2009).

ImageTwoSmall.jpg

It is coming to Steam on May 30th. The story is written by Tom Jubert, the writer for stuff like Penumbra and FTL and Binary Domain.

ImageThreeSmall.jpg

Check out the game's blog for updates from the developers. Here are their tips for getting ready for the game:
- Isolate yourself for long periods of time. This will acclimate you to your new, desolate environment and help ward off space dementia.
- Practice solving puzzles by pushing all buttons, levers, blocks and switches you come across in your day to day. If this causes trouble, just swap to one of your clones and leave the old one behind!
- Oh, be sure to start cloning yourself. That part is also important.
- Wear your space suit daily, including during rigorous physical exercise, sleeping and eating. You need to be familiar and nimble with your equipment on.
So yeah try that shit.

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    There really ought a be more claymation games. I'd swear that there's only ever been, like, less than twenty ever even made.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    Claymation is really, really expensive.

I mean, that goes for stop-motion animation in general.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh, no doubt. The difficulty of it just makes me want to see it even more.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It'll eventually get easier, once computers get good enough to properly simulate it.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    This looks cool as hell.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    via @Iolo I found this article at The PA Report about the game.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    via @TychoCelchuuu I found this thread. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Any info on controller support? It doesn't look too fast paced, so it seems like right analog for aiming clones should work pretty well?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Steam doesn't list Big Picture nor any controller support, but it also doesn't list a price so...I dunno.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    According to the Steam Community Forum for the game, there's no controller support. Which is a pity. Looking forward to some impressions though.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    jothki wrote: »
    It'll eventually get easier, once computers get good enough to properly simulate it.

I don't ever want to see computer simulated claymation.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
  • Options
    I have found the most pointless YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2eUE4JAP-s&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's a moving screenshot. If they could put it as a desktop background they would.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Back in my day we called those ".gifs" but I guess the kids these days have to do everything on the You Tubes.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

It's also very tedious and time consuming.

When I began my education in animation, I really wanted to get into stop-motion animation until I actually tried it. Ugh. Animating is difficult enough as is without the constant upkeep on keeping a character armature from falling apart mid-production. Admittedly, nowadays if you have the resources, you can get your armatures molded through 3D printing... but if you're doing it old school with wires and clay? It takes a ton of patience.

http://www.scarletstarstudios.com/blog/archives/2009/02/coraline_puppet_technology_with_photos.html

http://www.slashfilm.com/laika-3d-color-printers-create-stopmotion-animated-movie-paranorman-50-learned-set/

Stop-motion animators have my utmost respect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

It's also very tedious and time consuming.

When I began my education in animation, I really wanted to get into stop-motion animation until I actually tried it. Ugh. Animating is difficult enough as is without the constant upkeep on keeping a character armature from falling apart mid-production. Admittedly, nowadays if you have the resources, you can get your armatures molded through 3D printing... but if you're doing it old school with wires and clay? It takes a ton of patience.

http://www.scarletstarstudios.com/blog/archives/2009/02/coraline_puppet_technology_with_photos.html

http://www.slashfilm.com/laika-3d-color-printers-create-stopmotion-animated-movie-paranorman-50-learned-set/

Stop-motion animators have my utmost respect.

I bought this game so hard at the sight of that trailer. The textures of the environment are absolutely breathtaking.

Also, this discussion got me thinking about Ardaman Studio's works (Wallace and Gromit, Flushed Away.) What's to stop them from using CGI and then tinkering with the framerate to give it a Stop Motion effect? Or am I confusing stop motion animation with stop motion models? After all, Swapper moves at 60 FPS but the models are obviously clay.

EDIT - I'm in love with this game. The puzzles, the visuals, the utterly depressing mood are all brilliant. This is a must have.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm stuck on a puzzle. EDIT - picture changed
    1024x640.resizedimage

If I had more clones this wouldn't be a problem, but you have to lose two just to open the gate.

EDIT EDIT - Okay I got it, but I have a huge warning for players who reach at least 124 orbs. There is a point of no return...
    I got a bad ending with no way to go back after you land the space station.
    Using the swapper on the astronaut who is ordered to leave you behind leads to an abrupt ending with no way to rewind. Selecting Continue just plays the credits again.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Aardman fell to the dark side and their last two or so films have been cgi.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Aardman fell to the dark side and their last two or so films have been cgi.

Well CGI is much harder to put into a warehouse that gets set on fire.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I finished this earlier tonight, pretty sweet game. I'll have to play through it again to get the other ending and I guess find all the super secret rooms/consoles for the achievements. Though I have a guide for it, no way I'm trying to find those things by myself, just glancing at the guide, they're hidden insanely for the most part.

Did anyone find Log #13? As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist.

Edit: And just finished my second runthrough to get the super secrets and get the other ending, took about 2 hours, roughly. I noticed that there are some other missing logs, very strange.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Uhh...Does this game have more than two endings?
    The credits list an antagonist voice but I didn't find any antagonist.

1. In my first playthrough I stole the body of the rescue team worker to GTFO.
    2. In the second playthrough I stayed behind and jumped to my death while the Watchers' try and figure out what death is.

Neither one really gives closure with what is going on with the Watchers or the Head.

EDIT - Okay, the Watchers seem pretty content in the end but they were still wigging out because of Doctors Dennett and Chalmers.

Maybe it's possible to invade the Head like Chalmers said?

Cantido on
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Beat this. Not quite as in love with it as others seem to be, but it is a very well done game.

Took about 3~4 hours to beat. I was hoping that more mechanics would open up as the game went, but that only sort-of happens. Didn't care much for the story.

Definitely worth playing.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Heh, I don't think I could handle any more mechanics. But that ending left me craving an Act 3.

Instead, its making me crave playing Portal 2 again, or perhaps it's co op, which I never played.

Cantido on
  • Options
    You...you should play Portal 2's coop.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

I don't ever want to see computer simulated claymation.

Don't be so negative...look at the semi-recent kerby's epic yarn game...it had some very amazing textures that looked pretty damn impressive. I bet they could do the look of clay pretty well.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I hit a room kinda early on and while i dont really want a flat out solution to it, i just want to know if its doable yet.
    if you really dont need any upgrades, then please share a hint.

Are there any kind of items that enhance your abilities that will be neccesary to solve any puzzle you encounter? The room im talking about is just a simple two level room, upper level is red mist with an orb at the end, lower level is purple mist with a pressure plate all the way at the end.

The purple mist is acting i think as both blue and red, and due to some odd beams on the ground, my clones get destroyed when i send them in to hit the pressure plate (which turns off the blue mist above). Since it seems i must use my main guy to stand on the pressure plate, yet i cant make a clone on the upper level it has me wondering if i need some new ability.

• Options
    Heh, you described like three rooms that left me begging for mercy. Take a steam screenshot and post the gallery link and I'll see if I can give a hint or two.

Also, you have everything you need from start to finish. You collect two components in the mining area at the beginning and there are no upgrades of any kind.

• Options
    What are the two upgrades? I know about the first one that lets you swap places but whats the second?

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    He just means the clone creation gun itself, then the component that makes it the Swapper. There are no other 'upgrades', all puzzles are doable when you get to them.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I can't even play the damn game. Crashes on startup

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh, also, there's just two endings with no way to go back and view the other. There is no third that I was speculating on. The whole things just leave me craving just a bit more. Both endings are chilling though.
    I was expecting an Act 3 regarding the Head Watcher, but nope.

Cantido on
  • Options
    I figured that puzzle out. I'm only able to play it for like 30 minutes at a time before something calls me away, but its really good.

• Options
    And for those unwilling to play twice, both endings made it to Youtube. View at your own risk.

• Options
  • Options
    On sale for $5 at the new Humble Store! 10% goes to charity. You get a Steam key!

• Options
    Attention weirdos who didn't buy this in the Steam sale, it's cheap on Steam again.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Attention weirdos who didn't buy this in the Steam sale, it's cheap on Steam again.

Don't you call me a weirdo.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop