As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arrested Development] - Season 4 is here! As I live and breathe

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    JustTee wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I enjoy the original 3 seasons quite a bit when I first watched them.

This new season...I don't know, it didn't sit well with me. It was way darker and everyone was a bit too frustrating, I guess? That doesn't seem entirely accurate but I can't put my finger on quite what it was about it. I appreciated better showing how dumb Michael is by not showing us almost entirely his perspective, though.

I can still see why most people enjoy it though.

I think that the original run's darkness gets somewhat masked by the hope that some of these characters seem like they might possibly get redeemed. Except they never do, and the lesson in AD is that the Bluth family is just all sorts of crazy and horrible.

But if you re-watch the originals, they are dark as HELL. The family goes broke, the father goes to prison, a marriage fails, kids are neglected, hermano steals from hermano...I don't know. The tone might have been light hearted, but I think it's mainly because the original show run, you still were rooting for Michael to succeed, and you thought that at least Michael is able to raise George Michael well, despite the bluth influence.

So the darker tone might just be because the one shining light in AD (which was pretty tainted, but apparently a lot of people didn't notice) gets shown to be straight up just as dark as the rest of them.

I think its more that their privileged and money(and a little bit of Michael) allowed them to live in a crazy wonderland in the first three seasons. Bad things happen but they get out of everything basically unscathed because they are Rich.

This season is the family left to their own devices. Each one leaves their parents for one reason or another but it ends up that Luccile can't keep herself out of the jail and the rest of the family is finally forced to deal with the real world mostly unprotected.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    JustTee
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I enjoy the original 3 seasons quite a bit when I first watched them.

This new season...I don't know, it didn't sit well with me. It was way darker and everyone was a bit too frustrating, I guess? That doesn't seem entirely accurate but I can't put my finger on quite what it was about it. I appreciated better showing how dumb Michael is by not showing us almost entirely his perspective, though.

I can still see why most people enjoy it though.

I think that the original run's darkness gets somewhat masked by the hope that some of these characters seem like they might possibly get redeemed. Except they never do, and the lesson in AD is that the Bluth family is just all sorts of crazy and horrible.

But if you re-watch the originals, they are dark as HELL. The family goes broke, the father goes to prison, a marriage fails, kids are neglected, hermano steals from hermano...I don't know. The tone might have been light hearted, but I think it's mainly because the original show run, you still were rooting for Michael to succeed, and you thought that at least Michael is able to raise George Michael well, despite the bluth influence.

So the darker tone might just be because the one shining light in AD (which was pretty tainted, but apparently a lot of people didn't notice) gets shown to be straight up just as dark as the rest of them.

I think its more that their privileged and money(and a little bit of Michael) allowed them to live in a crazy wonderland in the first three seasons. Bad things happen but they get out of everything basically unscathed because they are Rich.

This season is the family left to their own devices. Each one leaves their parents for one reason or another but it ends up that Luccile can't keep herself out of the jail and the rest of the family is finally forced to deal with the real world mostly unprotected.

Well yeah, that's a valid point.

My point, though, was that if you look at where the Bluth family was in season 1, and compare it to where the Bluth family ends up in season 3, the overall theme was, this family is bad, and deserves all of these bad things that are happening to it.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    the first three seasons: the bluth family is terrible, but they love each other, and, in some way, keep each other's bullshit in line, so it's kind of okay

season four: the bluth family is terrible, and left to their own devices without someone else to call them on said bullshit, this happens

7656367.jpg
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think this whole season actually serves to show how much they really need each other. As fucked up as they were in the original run, they survived. They were always bad people, but leave them on their own and they truly hit rock bottom.

I think that's why they chose to end the season the way they did. The true ending of this story, if it ever comes, will be when they all come together as a family.

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    The true ending is when Michael finally lets go of his pride and his ego.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    actually I'd totally be down with what we have now

I mean

I obviously want to see more episodes

but if that didn't happen I could deal

Avraham wrote: »
    The true ending is when Michael finally lets go of his pride and his ego.

Yeah, that too.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    there were moments in the original AD where micheal had brief self-awareness. sometimes he would chide himself for missing something obvious or being narcisistic. of course this is almost immediately followed by him missing something else obvious or continuing to be narcisistic. he knows what is right and wrong moreso than his family, but still chooses to stoop to their level.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I just got that
    Buster and Lucille aren't watching MTV or E! or something and that scene takes place in 2006ish

the joke is that the Bluths actually coined the term "hot mess" and spread it to the world

King RiptorTheBlackWindStraightzi
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    the true ending to ad:
    george michael punches lucille in the face

7656367.jpg
    Speed RacerZonugalNaphtaliJimothyStraightzi
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Something I need to return in season 5

Buster's crane skills

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    i like how in Maeby's episode she makes fun of 13 year olds who still think they can play 5th-graders, when the flashback scenes with her and george-michael are hilarious in that they look nothing like their younger selves

Speed Racer on
    wanderingWhyther
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    the true ending to ad:

See now whatever happens I'll be disappointed.

Quire.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    the true ending to ad:
    Or Maebe. Or maybe, himself? I mean, really, I want him to have punched every other Bluth in the face by the end of the whole thing.

TankHammer
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    the true ending to ad:
    Or Maebe. Or maybe, himself? I mean, really, I want him to have punched every other Bluth in the face by the end of the whole thing.
    Except Buster.

Buster will never get his punch in the face.

6F32U1X.png
    JimothyagoajPizzleStixxZonugal
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Saw this article today, which is all about this one joke and the kind of thing almost no one would even bother to look up:

How Arrested Development, The Dark Tower, and The Lone Ranger are all connected

Amazing.

JimothyJustTeeSassori
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    We watched the last episode last night.

So naturally we've seen the first two episodes a second time already.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So Netflix sent the entire season of House of Cards to Emmy voters for consideration

But only five select episodes of AD

And I realize there was a dud or two this season, but

nothing is going to make any sense to those voters

I mean I know awards shows are dumb but come on

godmode
    Jimothy wrote: »
    So Netflix sent the entire season of House of Cards to Emmy voters for consideration

But only five select episodes of AD

And I realize there was a dud or two this season, but

nothing is going to make any sense to those voters

I mean I know awards shows are dumb but come on

Ya , even vocal fans once the season ended, ( This thread has major proof of it), most were indifferent/almost hated the first 4 episodes, until the other episodes revealed stuff.

Seems stupid to make this entire season as a whole, to play with the format of an entire season at once, and then hand pick a few episodes to send? Unless this is a giant meta joke about how Fox aired season 2 and 3?

• GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    I love AD and I enjoyed the new season, but I give it a solid B-. It took too long for some jokes to pay off and when they did they didn't hit as well as they should have. Also, fuck that NY Times review. The guy admits to only watching 8 episodes.

Ya it's kinda like watching half the Usual Suspects and then complaining about how a handicapped guy could be in on a heist.

godmode
    It's like

"here's five pieces of a puzzle. Tell us why that's better than all of these complete pictures"

The new season got a considerable amount of bad (or at least lukewarm) press, particularly from critics who used to champion the series

Why ensure that it won't win any of the awards it used to win?

Emmies are bullshit.
    The Wire never got one and Frasier consistently won over Seinfeld.
    Also, doesn't Modern Family win all the emmies these days?

• GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    Have you watched Frasier? That shit be meta, son.

Zonugal
    i've seen a fair amount of Frasier. I would never call that show bad but i don't think it was in the same league as Seinfeld or Newsradio.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I don't know. While I was never a huge fan of Frasier (I'd watch it if it happened to be on), I can definitely see why some people would love it. I never really had an issue with it getting critical recognition.

TubularLuggage on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    So I'm late checking this out and you've all probably areadly come to the same conclusion but the first three episodes were kind of lame. But everything since number four has been awesome so I'm assuming it all evens out.

Speed RacerTheBlackWind
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I don't know. While I was never a huge fan of Frasier (I'd watch it if it happened to be on), I can definitely see why some people would love it. I never really had an issue with it getting critical recognition.

Frasier had one problem and it was that there are only 10 scripts for about 90 percent of the episodes. I mean there are some really fantastic character development episodes with great scripts but it the actors really carry the show most of the time

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Frasier has the best ending theme song of all time

So, it has that going for it

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Frasier has the best ending theme song of all time

So, it has that going for it
    Plus there was an episode where Frasier danced with Patrick Stewart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFI5IxuihX8

N1tSt4lker
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    There are so many candidates for best TV show end theme. This one is up there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Olt4BVB4zY

(All these years I thought it was called the "MST3K Love Theme" - and apparently the guy who made the video thought so as well - but apparently the Love Theme is the opening credits, and the one for the closing credits is "Mighty Science Theater".)

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Pretty fond of the Slings and Arrows end theme myself

Also Netflix bring back Slings and Arrows we were halfway through the second season and it is one of the best dang shows

Oh yeah, it definitely deserved critical recognition. It was a good show, no doubt, I just don't think it was the best of its era.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Frasier was horrible because it was one of those shows that every episode would be over inside of two minutes if one person simply apologized for something instead of trying to hide it.

Weaver on
    Weaver wrote: »
    Frasier was horrible because it was a sitcom.

Moriveth
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I will say that one thing I felt was kind of weak with this season was the Rebel Alley character.

She wasn't really that amusing compared to Michael's past love interests and I didn't get much out of her character outside of her being hot and promiscuous.

Heck, I think the entire reason she exists was just to cause the season's finale.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    She's pretty great for the recurring PSAs.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    Speed RacerNaphtaliJimothySassoriPizzleStixxZonugalMatev
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I kind of like that rebel is basically the opposite of the kind of person Michael claims to be interested in (moral, giving, has a code of honor) and he doesn't realize that at all because he never gets to know her at all and the entire relationship is based in the fact that she looks similar to his dead wife

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We finished this last night! Aside from the George Sr episodes, which I wasn't really a fan of, I thought it was really good!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think my favorite new joke/bundle of jokes is
    Buster's giant hand. It shows up late in the series but I was cracking up whenever it was on screen.