The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Quick & Consistent

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Quick & Consistent

Precision will be the key to victory for the Artists in today's challenge.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• RainspiritRainspirit Registered User new member
    Oh man, my favourite contestant versus my least favourite...

This is going to be -sweet-. Or possibly horrible.

Definitely can't wait for Friday.

cwDeiciNotaCylon
  • RampachsRampachs Registered User regular
    I really liked this episode. The 'I give up' signatures and notes to Josh were funny.

Really interested in the next episode. I wonder if a redraw will be used.

Spman2099
  • litehaku795litehaku795 Registered User new member
    Fun episode :). I liked how it was all decided in the end seeing as there's not much to go on anymore for picking.

• RampachsRampachs Registered User regular
    I really liked this episode. The 'I give up' signatures and notes to Josh were funny.

Really interested in the next episode. I wonder if a redraw will be used.

• emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    I think Abby is going to kill it again. Tavis, as much as I like him, his art doesn't quite match up, and his funny doesn't quite match up either.

I do wonder how that hour long signature session is going to affect Abby and Tavis. Abby in particular did so many more signatures.

I did predict that Tavis would be the next to go, so I guess we'll find out if I'm right on Friday.

Katie, impressive as always. I'm glad she recognizes Maki's mad skills, too. Last week some people were suggesting that the remaining contestants would underestimate him, but I think it's clear they know he's an excellent artist. We really don't get to see how much art they're creating in the house between challenges.

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    Spman2099parmeisan
  • litehaku795litehaku795 Registered User new member
    Fun episode :). I liked how it was all decided in the end seeing as there's not much to go on anymore for picking.

A Concerned Citizen
  • Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Fun episode. Josh is awesome.
    I did wonder for a moment if Katie would throw Lexxy into the Thunderdome two days in a row.
    I hope Abby pulls it out on Friday.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • InvoluntaryPhilanthropistInvoluntaryPhilanthropist Registered User regular
    I liked how Paul was in this one

• purevalpureval Registered User regular
    Interesting episode, I never really thought about the strain of signing all those signatures before. Now I understand why I can barely tell whose signature is whose after a convention. I do find it funny that hide how well everyone did in the challenge so that they do not have that to go on. Winning seems to be a bigger curse than being sent to meet the creators.

A Concerned Citizen
  • Yasmine TeethYasmine Teeth Registered User regular
    I've got my fingers crossed that the next non-elimination challenges will be a contest to see who can eat the most Top Ramen in 20 minutes, and 20 minutes of washing ink out of brushes.

sketchityNotaCylon
  • sinfoidsinfoid Registered User new member
    Is that...is that a plastic fruit cock and balls in the bowl on the counter?

cwDeiciKazitronNotaCylon
  • KhaymanKhayman Registered User regular
    Anyone remember when they did art challenges.... no.. me neither

I really hate to be negative about the show as it has been my absolute favourite thing to watch on any medium for weeks now. But the last few episodes have been disappointing.

I understand the theory behind the challenge, but then copying someone else's negates the whole princple

partywhippleduddlesA Concerned CitizenwahayYasmine TeethMontyRohdeLavidius
  • partywhipplepartywhipple Registered User new member
    She gets hugged for putting them up for elimination. This is like a bizarro world version of a reality show. I assume it would never make it on a major network because the people are nice and not huge dicks.
    Except for that Josh guy. He sucks.

NotaCylon
    sinfoid wrote: »
    Is that...is that a plastic fruit cock and balls in the bowl on the counter?

Yeah.. that is one seriously green plastic-looking banana...

NotaCylon
  • KazitronKazitron Registered User regular
    Noooo, Abby, nooo

But also nooo, Tavis, nooo

Can't they just hire everybody

NotaCylonHanClinto
    edited May 2013
    Khayman wrote: »
    Anyone remember when they did art challenges.... no.. me neither

I really hate to be negative about the show as it has been my absolute favourite thing to watch on any medium for weeks now. But the last few episodes have been disappointing.

I understand the theory behind the challenge, but then copying someone else's negates the whole princple

I think copying another's signature is the only way to make this challenge fair. After all, Katie said her signature is just "KR", while Tavis said his signature is part of a little drawing. Kind of hard to have a fair assessment with such wildly different signatures.

I am wondering what would happen if they did this show for a second season. Many of the challenges relate in some way to the upcoming job for the winner. Having the same challenges next year, or two years later, would seem a little redundant.

Angry_Samoan on
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    Just a suggestion for if you guys repeat this challenge. Give each of the artists 5 minutes or so of practice time, upon which they receive feedback. As one of the strippers said, replicating someone's circle (or just signature) in general requires a little bit of luck, and some people just can't get it. And then I'm not sure some people realized their mistakes either.

• wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    Josh, ya da man. Hilarious episode that will flag Strip Search on West Wing for sure.

Very hard choice for Katie in the end, but I think it was a fair way to choose...now who will come back? Abby is so hard to read on the show but I think the will make it.

Also...now I feel worst that no1 picked josh on the table tennis challenge, he comes out hilarious on this episode.

Spman2099
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    Khayman wrote: »

Then you aren't watching for the same reasons as a lot of us. Not that art challenges are bad, but if you just want to watch them draw shit, a lot of them run livestreams. I watch to see the artists put their personalities on display, and this ep had plenty of that.

As always, looking forward to the elimination episode, but really hate to see anyone go home at this point.

PsykomafullofgraceCMBoydDruzilSupremefooRampachs
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Katie for president!

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    Free Marselheber
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    This episode was even better than the last. It was a great mix of competition socializing, and seeing some of the PA staff.

I'm glad not all of the challenges are about art. If only the art mattered some other web comic would be where PA is now, art & comics is half of a successful web comic business. All of these people can make art, so the question really is can they run a business -- can they handle fans, can they arrange a table, can they sign hundreds of items, and can they get along with others. One of the BEST thing about this concept is PA wet into this not just caring about who would win, but sending home eleven other people with some tools they'd need to succeed despite not being chosen. And, the side benefit is there are thousands of people at home watching who can benefit as well. Watch & Learn.

Psykomatapeslinger
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    It occurs to me that the reason all these people are so close is because they don't have internet access, phones or (I assume) television. It's interesting: People find it really difficult to interact these days because they're so used to interacting remotely. But you put a bunch of people with common interests together in a closed environment, leaving them the choice of either boredom or passing the time together, they'll naturally grow close - inventing games, joking around, etc.

This would be a very different show if the contestants had access to the outside world. Given the choice of talking to strangers (which is "scary") or staying with the familiar (which is "safe"), most would choose the latter. Everyone would be in a corner typing away with headphones on, giving each other the cold shoulder. Also, I imagine it would breed more hostility between the contestants. Instead of getting sad over eliminations, there might be more of a "take that!" attitude.

Anyway, just an observation. =) I hate it when I'm around friends and they pull out their phones.

Had some good laughs this episode. Still cheering for Katie (let it be known I've been on Team Katie since the beginning!) but I don't envy having to make those decisions. What a wonderful testament to the show that everyone leaves with hugs, smiles and tears rather than sour looks and crossed arms. This is my favorite show. T_T

A Concerned CitizenSpman2099wn.mike
  • IllessaIllessa Registered User regular
    d.TFFoS wrote:
    Just a suggestion for if you guys repeat this challenge. Give each of the artists 5 minutes or so of practice time, upon which they receive feedback. As one of the strippers said, replicating someone's circle (or just signature) in general requires a little bit of luck, and some people just can't get it. And then I'm not sure some people realized their mistakes either.

I'd go further and say after a brief practice session the artists should have each produced their own reference for the judges to compare against - so they would have to follow the same basic signature, but could adjust the shape/startpoint of the O, or tweak the slant or inflection of the rest of the signature slightly, so they could find something that more naturally fits their hand rather than ending up doing weird shit like Tavis' upward stroke on the b to force the correct shape. The important thing is internal consistency after all.

enderandrewAnana11
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    "In today's episode, Penny Arcade staff member Joshua Price gets his revenge on the artists after not being picked in Day 7's ping pong tournament."

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    ahdokSnicketysnickKazitronFalxYllanesPsykomafullofgracetapeslingerA Concerned Citizenwn.mikeSassoriWarribsKoopahTroopahrisingtableRidianJayeEmmtastydonutsSpman2099enderandrewlawragatajarmakitoriCMBoydDruzilSupremeWeedLordVegetamiaAusazerzhulJermsHanClintoCambiataRampachsBucho
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Once again, Maki with the comedy goods.

Now I want to go home, sign my signature quite big on a few sheets of paper, and turn those into random pictures.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    NotaCylon
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I just finished actually watching the episode, and I want to say that there was a HUGE missed opportunity there; Katie should have help her own contest using everyone's Obama-men drawings, and sent the two she felt were the least strong to the elimination.

(I'm a big fan of when reality show contestants play a sub-reality game, like the candy-tasting contest from the first season of Top Chef.)

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • endikuendiku Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    d.TFFoS wrote: »

I have to disagree. These are all skilled artists and they don't need art lessons in how to replicate something or draw a circle. They could have, and probably did, take time out of their hour to practice on their own.

The only issue with the feedback they were getting was that they didn't know who was being talked about. That made it funny for us to watch, but probably pretty useless for them to hear.

There is no wrong method for Katie to decide. Her decision was a good one in that she was honest about why she did it. Katie has the spirit of a fighter in that she is saving the people she thinks are the most challenging opponents for last, to give her the best possible fight. A more calculating person, and perhaps less honorable one, would send up the two they thought strongest against one another, in the hopes of reducing their own difficulty in winning. Katie is doing the exact opposite of that which is pretty cool of her.

Tavis-Maki would be the best match up, as they are similar in skill and personality, I wanted that outcome. Lexxy and Katie are very much on equal footing skill-wise, though their styles are so different. Lexxy-Abby would have also been a very good competition of styles as they are somewhat similar in approach.

endiku on
    A Concerned Citizen
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    My favorite, and I hope eventual winner (go Abby!) up against someone I thought should have gone home in his first elimination (sorry Tavis). If I had to bet I'd put the money on Abby, but I get the feeling that Tavis' stuff connects with the judges, so going to be a tense next show.

Abby, if you put out a book of insults along the lines of your notes to Josh I'll be first in line. Comedy gold.

Spman2099NotaCylonCambiata
  • DemonicoreoDemonicoreo Registered User regular
    If there are two artist who will rise up and over throw Jerry and Mike, it is Abby and Tavis. No offence to Jerry and Mike but I love the Strip Search artists more then you two now. Hey you guys did have a great run though and that is something you can be proud of as you live out your days at the Del Boca Vista.

Fuck it. The vocal Lexxy fanatics are fucking pants on head retarded.
    Spman2099
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    msuroo wrote:
    Then you aren't watching for the same reasons as a lot of us

Or @khayman simply has a different opinion than you. Any show you watch, there are some episodes that are better than others, and some that are worse. So far Day 8 has been the least interesting, that's not a crime, it's just the way it is.

Watching people crash go-karts is just more fun than watching someone play a board game. Watching someone come up with smart skateboard deck's is more interesting than watching people "draw" Obama's signature.

The number one reason most people watch the show is to be entertained, you'd be hard pressed to say these last two episodes were the most entertaining. Again, that's not a crime, it happens.

duddles
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    I imagine the signature is harder to replicate in part because Obama is left-handed.

Also crying Katie breaks my heart.

rawr
    A Concerned CitizenSpman2099MKF36ENotaCylon
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    Also, Katie is going to be in a house now with three people, two of whom I think are MUCH less likely to send her to elimination than they were earlier that day. Like Lexxy said, they all understand that some strategy has to happen now, and I think Katie pretty much nailed the best decision under the circumstances.

I actually quite liked this episode. I found it more entertaining than several previous social or immunity challenges.

tapeslinger
  • ManabouttimeManabouttime Registered User regular
    My three favorite artists are going to sit this elimination out, and that is pretty satisfying. I'm betting on Tavis coming back in to the house, but Abby has surprised me more than once already.

A Concerned Citizen
  • FnordalFnordal Registered User regular
    Come on! Friday is too far! post faster!

• Kerensky287Kerensky287 Registered User regular
    The thing about Abby - and the reason why I think she'll win this next challenge, maybe even the competition as a whole - is that her jokes are laugh-out-loud fucking hilarious. The surrealism, the simplicity, the subtle wit beneath the not-so-subtle wit, it's all just... aaaaaa. And as we've seen, she's really efficient, too, and she seems to work well in the Thunderdome environment.

To be honest I don't know much about Tavis's art. I saw his elimination comic and was really impressed that he managed to do so much with the two words - the Areola Circus, a kinky sexual manuever - but I don't know enough about him to be able to judge if he can do that consistently. He probably can. We'll find out next episode.

All I'm saying is Abby managed to essentially take the phrase "sometimes hamburgers fall apart" and do this with it: http://www.jspowerhour.com/comics/68

MekkaBT-bolt
  • A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    Man that was gut wrenching. I don't know who I'd have picked other than Tavis and then only because of his monologue from last episode which I doubt the other contestants had the benefit of knowing how okay with leaving he would be.

All I know is the rest of these episodes are going to be hard to watch no matter what and I sympathize more with the person winning an elimination challenge at this point.

JohnnyOmahaNotaCylon
  • fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    I felt so badly for Katie at the end. It must be so hard to send away people who have become your friends. I really like that she chose who to go to elimination by deciding who she felt should stay based on the art she's been able to see from them while in the house.

I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
    A Concerned CitizenNotaCylon
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    "In today's episode, Penny Arcade staff member Joshua Price gets his revenge on the artists after not being picked in Day 7's ping pong tournament."

I read that with Jeremy Clarkson voice, Joshua Price is the new Stig.

A Concerned Citizen
  • rocketjohnrocketjohn Registered User new member
    *coff* Called it *coff*

MontyRohdeparmeisan
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    "Siddown wrote: »
    Or @khayman simply has a different opinion than you.

I don't think that is in conflict with what I said.
    "Siddown wrote: »
    The number one reason most people watch the show is to be entertained, you'd be hard pressed to say these last two episodes were the most entertaining. Again, that's not a crime, it happens.

And maybe you just have a different opinion on what is entertaining? I dunno, I could have sworn I heard someone say something like that recently.

The farther we get into the show, the more I care about the people involved, and less about what structured activites the show has set up for them. Honestly, watching people crash go-karts is equally as uninteresting as watching other people play board games. For me, those are activites only really enjoyed in the first person. But while the go-kart episode was entirely racing, less than half of the board game episode actually consisted of the artists playing the game. The rest of it (with the artists interacting casually with each other, or reflecting on Monica, or talking about their experiences) is infinitely more "entertaining" to me. The biggest thing I got from the play-doh episode was Amy coming to terms with herself, even though it featured an "art" challenge.

You're absolutely right, opinions can differ, and we don't have to watch the show for the same reasons. But when people come in here clamoring that these episodes suck because there's no art, I'm just pointing out why a fair amount of us disagree.

msuroo on
    A Concerned CitizenPsykomaSpman2099BrianRamsayDruzilSupremeLavidiusBucho